Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:37:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bob Rafelson sent directly to jail/takes last train to Clarksville/dead

Started by dissolute ocelot, July 25, 2022, 03:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

RIP Bob Rafelson, who produced Easy Rider and directed Five Easy Pieces and King of Marvin Gardens, and helped create the Monkees and helped create Arnold Schwarzenegger (by making Stay Hungry).

I love King of Marvin Gardens, with Jack Nicholson at his most low-key and introverted, and Bruce Dern not at his most low-key and introverted. A brilliant allegory of something or other (THIS IS AMERICA), full of the romance of seedy off-season seaside resorts and dubious beauty contests.

A legend of 70s New Hollywood.

Bad Ambassador

Michael Caine was going to retire after making Blood and Wine, but thanks to Nicholson and Rafelson he enjoyed himself so much he decided to carry on working, and the next year was cast in Little Voice which revitalised his career overnight.

zomgmouse

Five Easy Pieces is an all-time great. Really need to see The King of Marvin Gardens one of these days. His remake of The Postman Always Rings Twice was very flawed but an interesting reinterpretation.

BJBMK2

Twit 2

kalowski

Five Easy Pieces is just an incredible piece of art.
And I love The Monkees.