Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:40:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

DC League of Super-Pets (2022)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, August 03, 2022, 12:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This has had some very mixed reviews but I've gotta say, I liked it. It's not as innovative as it should be (at least compared to the best animated kids films out there), but go in with low expectations and you'll get to see a whole load of daftness with some super dogs and a pig that can change size at will, an electrically charged squirrel and a really fast if blind turtle, battling against a naked guinea pig and lots of other super powered guinea pigs, and well, it's just very ridiculous, but it made me laugh a fair bit (often alone, with the children in the audience quite quiet) and a few of the gags caught me off guard as they were so mad. 7.5/10

I'm fully expecting to get a lot of replies saying I've lost my mind and it's very average fare at best btw, and my fondness for it might be because I've also really loved Krypto, but eh, what can I say, if you're fond of a more innocent era of DC (albeit with all of the cliched emotional beats you'd expect from a lazy kids film) than this might work for you.

JohnnyCouncil

Liked Batdog's origin story, nicely done and a bit of a Jessie's song moment for me. Enjoyable but not up there with Sonic/Trolls imo.

Glebe

It's weird when Superdog pops up in Loeb & Lee's Batman: Hush.

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 03, 2022, 12:53:12 PMit made me laugh a fair bit (often alone, with the children in the audience quite quiet)

Probably terrified into silence by the weird bloke who turned up alone to a children's film about superpowered pets.

(I jest...)

madhair60

i have not seen this film as I believe it is intended for small children

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on August 03, 2022, 03:39:24 PMProbably terrified into silence by the weird bloke who turned up alone to a children's film about superpowered pets.

(I jest...)

Fortunately it was a pretty big cinema (280+ seats, anyhow) and they were sat about ten rows behind me. But I did do my best to scare the noisy bastards, so hopefully that was why. ;)

Quote from: madhair60 on August 03, 2022, 03:57:46 PMi have not seen this film as I believe it is intended for small children

It's PG rated mate, my Mum had to come with me or there's no way I could have got in.

madhair60

Catalogue Trousers

Does this have Streaky the Supercat? I always liked him.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on August 04, 2022, 01:31:19 AMDoes this have Streaky the Supercat? I always liked him.

QuoteIn Action Comics #261 (February 1960),[4] Supergirl was experimenting on a piece of green kryptonite in an attempt to find a way to neutralize its deadly effects. When her experiment failed, she tossed the kryptonite (or "X-Kryptonite", as it became known) out the window. Though her experiment failed, her pet Streaky came across the X-Kryptonite and was exposed to its radiation.[5] As the comics described it: "Due to the unique combination of chemicals in X-Kryptonite, it has given Streaky superpowers!"
I like the idea of her just tossing some kryptonite in the bin.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on August 04, 2022, 01:31:19 AMDoes this have Streaky the Supercat? I always liked him.

Sadly not, but I'm hoping he'll make it in to the sequel along with Comet The Superhorse. And I know this post sounds a bit sarcastic but its not meant to be, I really do want to see a sequel which includes those characters.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Streaky should be the name of a pig.

Buffalo Many Times

I took my son to see this today (Sadly, I lack the courage to stride in and watch any film I fancy regardless of the target audience, so had to subject myself to the rigmarole of creating life for the privilege of seeing this). I also thought it was pretty good. Some genuinely funny stuff, terrific voice cast, enough gurning and falling over to satisfy my 4 year old, but also some wry mockery of superhero film tropes - as-well as a vein of weirdness running through it which kept it from feeling generic (well, until the final act where it does everything you'd expect it to do, but tbf it felt earned and the fact I was able to pretty much forecast exactly what was going to happen helped me in keeping my son engaged for the last 10 minutes when the pressure of sitting still for an hour and a half started getting too much for him).

Solid film, 100% recommended if you're looking for something to take children to see and still worth a watch without any tiny gobshites tagging along.

Mister Six

There's only one super pet I want to see in action...

Replies From View

Glebe

Replies From View

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on August 05, 2022, 04:32:53 AMThere's only one super pet I want to see in action...

I bought this at the weekend because of Batcow's in it, I haven't read it yet but I'm hoping the cow will live up to your high praise!

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 03, 2022, 12:53:12 PMThis has had some very mixed reviews but I've gotta say, I liked it.

Kevin Maher in The Times gave it one star and called it "brainless, branded animated vomit", but as he's completely shit as a reviewer I'm going to trust you.

dissolute ocelot

Having read the Wikipedia page, there seem to be some dogs, a very small selection of other pets, and some animals which definitely do not qualify as pets. Should it not more accurately be called DC League of Super-Animals?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on August 08, 2022, 03:04:31 PMKevin Maher in The Times gave it one star and called it "brainless, branded animated vomit", but as he's completely shit as a reviewer I'm going to trust you.

That's harsh from Maher, I mean it's definitely a second tier animated movie and not up there with Pixar or Disney's best, but it's fun and it's harmless and there's a cute joke every so often. I have to reiterate I bloody love Krypto though, and dumb films about super animals (I rated the genuinely appalling Super Buddies 7/10 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2999390/ just because it was so ridiculously awful and silly) so perhaps I shouldn't be trusted on this one.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 08, 2022, 04:18:29 PMHaving read the Wikipedia page, there seem to be some dogs, a very small selection of other pets, and some animals which definitely do not qualify as pets. Should it not more accurately be called DC League of Super-Animals?

To answer that question would be
Spoiler alert
to spoil the ending.
[close]

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 08, 2022, 02:56:33 PMI bought this at the weekend because of Batcow's in it, I haven't read it yet but I'm hoping the cow will live up to your high praise!

Yikes, me too! I've only read the Bat-cow bits in Grant Morrison's Batman, in which (spoilers) she's basically just a cow.

Kind of interested to see that special though.

Replies From View

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 08, 2022, 04:18:29 PMHaving read the Wikipedia page, there seem to be some dogs, a very small selection of other pets, and some animals which definitely do not qualify as pets. Should it not more accurately be called DC League of Super-Animals?

Keeping that open for when the sequel takes the world of it bigger.

Ron Superior

Watched this with my 5 year old daughter today. Agree with SMBH that it's a solid b-tier cartoon. Zero surprises, very by the numbers, but enough laughs and emotional moments to make it worthwhile.

The animation or art style seemed all over the place to me. At times it looked really basic and crappy but some of it, like with the pig growing, and particularly at the end with Lulu it looked really great. Can't think of another film where the discrepancy was so noticeable.

Also, did Natasha Lyonne's character keep being bleeped? Was that a thing with her character from comics or something that I missed? Cos I've never seen that in a kid's film.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ron Superior on August 09, 2022, 11:09:16 PMCan't think of another film where the discrepancy was so noticeable.

The Thief and the Cobbler?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ron Superior on August 09, 2022, 11:09:16 PMWatched this with my 5 year old daughter today. Agree with SMBH that it's a solid b-tier cartoon. Zero surprises, very by the numbers, but enough laughs and emotional moments to make it worthwhile.

The animation or art style seemed all over the place to me. At times it looked really basic and crappy but some of it, like with the pig growing, and particularly at the end with Lulu it looked really great. Can't think of another film where the discrepancy was so noticeable.

Also, did Natasha Lyonne's character keep being bleeped? Was that a thing with her character from comics or something that I missed? Cos I've never seen that in a kid's film.

I'm glad you liked it, at least for what it is. And I was surprised by the bleeping gag, but absolutely took it to be deliberate censoring a very sweary character, and yeah, I'd not seen it in a kids film either!

Quote from: Mister Six on August 08, 2022, 07:16:21 PMYikes, me too! I've only read the Bat-cow bits in Grant Morrison's Batman, in which (spoilers) she's basically just a cow.

Kind of interested to see that special though.

Without being too spoilery, um, well she's wearing a cape in it,
Spoiler alert
and technically stops a crime (sort of) but you could absolutely still say she's a normal cow.
[close]

I've been surprised by how warm and sweet natured the entire thing (mostly is), there's a really great Superman and Krypto story which has a lovely sentiment, and one which celebrates Captain Carrot goes from wacky to warm hearted in a way I did not expect. Also it has a 10 page Animal Man story which I didn't realise before, and which was really fantastic, keeping in with how things were left after the last Lemire issue
Spoiler alert
(so a slightly older Ellen and Maxine are around, but no Cliff)
[close]
, but absolutely feeling like a very strong Animal Man issue, and I think it's a shame that Phillip Kennedy Johnson didn't start the comic up again.

Ron Superior

Haha, fair point. Any without a famous decades long production dispute, I guess.

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 10, 2022, 02:27:24 PMWithout being too spoilery, um, well she's wearing a cape in it,
Spoiler alert
and technically stops a crime (sort of) but you could absolutely still say she's a normal cow.
[close]

Oh, is it the "foiling a kidnapper, then (implied) feeding a baby" one? If so, that's included in the final Grant Morrison's Batman Omnibus alongside some other non-Morrison shorts from various places. It's pretty cute.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on August 10, 2022, 08:58:41 PMOh, is it the "foiling a kidnapper, then (implied) feeding a baby" one? If so, that's included in the final Grant Morrison's Batman Omnibus alongside some other non-Morrison shorts from various places. It's pretty cute.

Ah, no, it's called "Panic At The Midnight Rodeo" and was written by Dan Didio, and
Spoiler alert
it's set at a rodeo where a guy tries to ride a bull with a Joker face, only for Bat Cow to intervene.
[close]

Mister Six

Ha, neat, I'll dig it up some time.