Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:42:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mach Comedy Festival 2024

Started by Des Wigwam, December 23, 2023, 04:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Des Wigwam

Gah! I forgot about it again / get too stressed making a decision. Good to see my anxiety at whether or not to see Mark Silcox has been resolved (Sold Out).

Tim Key is in what must be the smallest venue of the festival.

Still keeping an eye out for Sean Morley (unless anyone has bad news on that front).

BritishHobo

Some more shows have gone up today, including a second Paul Williams gig and the Corris Railway gig, which I'm tempted to finally go for, after many years of bottling it.

Still no Morley!

EDIT: Actually the post on the Facebook page calls this the final batch of shows. So officially no Morley. Time to get picking!

Des Wigwam

Ah - yes the Corris Railway gig. I might do that finally!

No Morley then! That's a blow.

As you say - time to get picking. I had a look and got overwhelmed the other day.

Going to see Colin Hoult with the friend whose birthday it is on that day as they really like Anna Mann. I saw this WIP down in Aber and it was really funny - hoping he's ironed out a few more bits (the ending is very ragged). Downside is that this knocks Anna Thomas out of the running and I really liked her showcase bit I caught last year.

Des Wigwam

Might get to see Anna Thomas anyway as CH is sold out. Very annoyed about that but have mailed them to ask about going on a waiting list.

I find this period in the run up to the festival very stressful.

BritishHobo

Same. I'm so fucking indecisive at the best of times. I find it so hard to narrow it down. Corris Railway has sold out, so that's a decision made for me, at least.

I've booked Celya AB now. Considering Joz Norris on the Sunday. Got lots of spots to fill, only four shows booked so far.

Des Wigwam

20 days later and I'm still in the same situation you were @BritishHobo and need to get my finger out.

Anna Thomas has cancelled her gig - which I'm a bit gutted about as I missed her in Aber (not a fan of the layout of that festival) for some reason having seen her do a showcase spot last year at Mach.

However, Mike Wozniak is doing a WIP in her place - 6 on Saturday. Not seen if it's gone up yet but wanted to say keep an eye out if interested.

Des Wigwam

I got a Colin Hoult ticket off being on the waiting list so it's deffo worth doing. Can see I'm now going to be in a position of having too many tickets for people I want to see as they're all on at the same time.

BritishHobo

Cheers for the heads-up! I don't think I've done a waiting list at the festival before, but I've asked to go on the lists for Paul Williams, as I stupidly dragged my feet and both are now sold out.

I've still not booked too many morw. Joz Norris, Emma Sidi and Ali Brice on the Sunday - but my Saturday is almost entirely empty so far.

Des Wigwam

I'm wavering between Ali Brice and Mel Owen. And also deciding if I want to see Paul Foot. It's probably going to be the only chance I will have.

Des Wigwam

3 Bean Salad - the 12pm Sunday slot now has some tickets available. Don't think it's a new show - think it's returns.

BritishHobo

The Wozniak replacement show has gone up as well - along with two intriguing-looking restaurant-based shows, one at Gwen in Machynlleth and one at Ynyshir further out.

EDIT: Scratch that, all three sold out!

Des Wigwam

Just looked at the two restaurant gigs - bit hacked off I missed them but also not sure if I would have bought a ticket. 

Like you say - intriguing but I think the Gwen one would be excruciating for me - 8 people, food, and then someone performing for you? I've eaten at Gwen and it's really interesting food which presumably you'd want to concentrate on but it's also very intimate - smaller than the shed out the back of The Wynnstay. The Ynyshir one's probably bit more spacey and possibly relaxed - but feels like it might be a bit like going to a (very small) corporate.

Good on 'em but - love to know how they go.

Msp1976

I'm seriously considering this next year, the line up is great. Is it usually fairly easy to get accommodation near by if you get booked up early?

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Msp1976 on March 26, 2024, 10:13:17 AMI'm seriously considering this next year, the line up is great. Is it usually fairly easy to get accommodation near by if you get booked up early?

I've not had to worry about accommodation as I live close enough - but there is plenty around plus it's always on the same weekend. There's also a considerable camping offering - which even in my advanced years and with my vast estate so close by I might do next year.

Des Wigwam

A second performance of Kiri PM's show is now up at 6 on Sunday.

For some reason I didn't read the blurb first time and it's the show she did at Edinburgh and in Aber (and maybe more) to which the audience was sworn to secrecy. It was very good - as you'd expect - but not sure I want to hear it again so soon so might see about seeing someone different on the Saturday now.

BritishHobo

Ooh, that's potentially swung it for me. I wasn't going to book it - trying my hardest to keep to unseen folks - but her Victim, Complex show still resonates with me a lot, so your post has intrigued me. Maybe I will go...

Des Wigwam

Yes - I saw Victim, Complex in Y Tabernacl and was really impressed. This was pretty much fully formed last September, I felt so with some work in the meantime should be excellent.

Would recommend as it's coming from a new phase of her life so it's interesting to compare the two people on the stage (as much as you can).

Am also trying to go down the Unseen route this year. If I do miss this - having seen it so recently - then I might just expand my horizons a tiny bit.

BritishHobo

Cheers for the rec! I've spotted it's on nearer me later in the year, so I think I may see her then, and keep that slot free. I have every other slot on Sunday booked, so will probably need that gap to avoid another absolute full-show burnout.

Still tentative on Saturday; wary of booking anything in the 2pm or 8pm slots in case I magically get a Paul Williams ticket off the waitlist (which definitely won't happen). Torn between Poppy Hillstead and Anu Vaidyanathan at 12.

Des Wigwam

Depending on the venue near you @BritishHobo then that sounds a better idea. The show is on in the Arena which I don't like as a venue anyway - the performer seems way too distant even though it is only a sports hall.

Have the Sat 12pm dilemma too and was looking at Poppy Hillstead. Have been listening to some random podcasts and enjoyed but not sure if I've enjoyed enough. Any info to tip the balance. Stephen Bailey is the main contender.

Des Wigwam

Aww - 2nd cancellation of my shows - Vidura B.R. - Was a punt but liked what I saw on YouTube.

Des Wigwam

Third cancellation - Sian Docksey.

Am I just unlucky this year or is that quite a high number?

Slot filled by Sara Barron - not someone I know. Have first choice for tickets.

BritishHobo

Hope there aren't any more! They do still seem to be adding the odd show - a Stuart Laws show has gone up as well.

I'm debating going to the late-announcement Luke McQueen show. I don't know a lot about him, and while I do love the mad experimental stuff, I feel like maybe I've not got enough just normal stand-up booked. My Saturday is still pretty empty, so I'm just being indecisive for the sake of it.

There's a big showcase on at the Millennium Centre in Cardiff tonight. I didn't get tickets in the end which I'm regretting a little bit, but not long now til the real thing.

BritishHobo

Tom Rosenthal of the Friday Night Dinners and the Plebs announced a surprise show on the Friday - that's sold-out very quickly, so he's now announced one on the Saturday, which will probably also go quick:

https://machcomedyfest.co.uk/show/2024/tom-rosenthal/

They seem to be a bit happier to add new shows post-publication of the brochure this year, outside of replacing cancelled shows. Wonder if there may be any more to come... Glang Show?!