Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:12:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Saltburn

Started by Vodkafone, November 18, 2023, 12:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vodkafone

Worth seeing, I thought, though it could have been better. Dark, a good performance by Barry Keoghan and some good lines. I thought it was troweled on a bit towards the end and several things spelled out that didn't need to be. Brief appearances from Lolly Adefope and from Reece Shearsmith, who plays a cunt (which he does well, of course).

The music was well chosen, particularly the section with Time to Pretend by MGMT.

These are my thoughts, you may have others.

It may be good, but it's one of a number of things I've seen being covered recently (another being the new play Mates In Chelsea) with the angle of "isn't it interesting and inexplicable that I, a preposterously posh person, am drawn to telling a story about other preposterously posh people?" Which puts my back up. 

Memorex MP3

Thought her last film was atrocious and everything about this one suggests the same

C_Larence

I detested Promising Young Woman, a completely vapid movie that seemingly exists solely to suggest that it's fine when women are murdered because actually the police will sort it all out. I have zero interest in ever seeing anything else Fennell creates, she can't possibly create anything of worth to me.

Vodkafone

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on November 18, 2023, 05:39:14 PMIt may be good, but it's one of a number of things I've seen being covered recently (another being the new play Mates In Chelsea) with the angle of "isn't it interesting and inexplicable that I, a preposterously posh person, am drawn to telling a story about other preposterously posh people?" Which puts my back up. 

I knew nothing about her before seeing the film. Maybe that helps. I find posh people as difficult as the rest of us, but artist/art separation?

I know, but it's not that which I have trouble separating, so much as the knowledge of how easy already rich and gilded people find it to get their projects off the ground compared to others.

dontpaintyourteeth

how is emerald fennel a real name? if i said my name was diamond parsnip people would dismiss me out of hand

SteveDave

Her dad's a big jewellery man. He must really like cereal as well because her sister is called Coco.

I like the way her Wikipedia photo makes her look like Rocky Dennis or someone from "Bo Selecta"

Vodkafone

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on November 19, 2023, 09:07:23 AMhow is emerald fennel a real name? if i said my name was diamond parsnip people would dismiss me out of hand

Yeah but that's because fennel has an edible upper part and an edible root but parsnip doesn't, you silly billy. If you said your name was Diamond Celery, everyone would think that was fine.

Blinder Data

don't like the tone of this thread much - whiff of misogyny. there's a way to criticise the filmmaker without going after her looks.

I could watch this film on mubi go but I'm too busy, especially for a psychological thriller set in the world of mid 2000s poshos, a very boring idea for a film.

Vodkafone

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 19, 2023, 12:48:55 PMdon't like the tone of this thread much - whiff of misogyny. there's a way to criticise the filmmaker without going after her looks.

I could watch this film on mubi go but I'm too busy, especially for a psychological thriller set in the world of mid 2000s poshos, a very boring idea for a film.

For me there was interest in what is essentially a period piece but within recent memory, because there is a whole lot of semiology in the clothes and music. There is a party scene and the main soundtrack is Loneliness by Tomcraft, which is a perfect choice because it's a good tune but was ubiquitous and mainstream enough at the time to be exactly what a bunch of toff dilettante clubbers would want to hear. That is not a pitch to you to watch the film though.

I'm not attacking her for her looks. I'm attacking her for being able to make a film because she has friends who run hedge funds, and using that opportunity to make a film about the sort of people she went to Marlborough with. It's a microcosm of the problems with the arts on the UK right now.

Jack Shaftoe

Wasn't interested in this film particularly but then I realised the director follows me on twitter, so I'm still not that interested but I feel a lot more warmly towards it, like she clearly has good taste.

Sebastian Cobb

I enjoyed this quite a lot and it's pretty well made (agree it could be slightly tighter) but it's essentially a re-tread of Ripley/Purple Noon in many ways.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 19, 2023, 12:48:55 PMdon't like the tone of this thread much - whiff of misogyny. there's a way to criticise the filmmaker without going after her looks.
Does one comment determine the tone of a thread?

The ones around her name feel far more about posh people with ridiculous names more than anything gendered.

DrGreggles

Saw it yesterday.
Interesting premise and starts well, but it loses its way about halfway through, and then just gets silly.
Looks really nice though, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Clive Dogshit

If I thought Promising Young Woman was an absolute load of awful dogshit what are the chances that I'll enjoy this? (That's a genuine question btw)

dissolute ocelot

So it's not a hybrid of Brightburn and Salt in which Angelina Jolie turns out to be an evil alien? Not interested then.

(Although the title is so shit, I hope it does make some kind of sense. Is it like when you shoot someone with a shotgun full of rock salt, which also seems fairly pointless?)

Tiggles

It was nice to look at but I found it pretty incoherent in tone and character logic. Went on for waaaaaay too long. Not sure any of the really OTT stuff they gave to the protagonist was convincing (or indeed what I was supposed to be convinced of). And Barry Keoghan was visibly much older than the part he was playing (Fennell had the same problem with Carey Mulligan in PYW iirc).

Beautifully acted by everyone involved and I loved the look and feel of the party scene. I think maybe if I'd been age 14-22 in 2006 I'd derive some nostalgia from the cultural touchpoints. As it was, if I'd have been watching at home instead of at the cinema I'd have probably been on my phone after the first hour or so.

El Unicornio, mang

I'm going against the grain of this thread as I really liked Promising Young Woman, and couldn't care less how she got it and whatever else she makes off the ground (although as it happens she apparently got the relatively low budget financing due to the script being liked/bought by a production company) so will probably check this out.

Memorex MP3

Neither attacking or defending her her but she was already a showrunner on Killing Eve by this point, I know nothing about her early career but the reason she got financing was in large part because she was already established and down as one to watch within the industry.
Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 20, 2023, 07:19:30 PMI'm going against the grain of this thread as I really liked Promising Young Woman, and couldn't care less how she got it and whatever else she makes off the ground (although as it happens she apparently got the relatively low budget financing due to the script being liked/bought by a production company) so will probably check this out.

Vodkafone

Quote from: Tiggles on November 20, 2023, 06:12:10 PMIt was nice to look at but I found it pretty incoherent in tone and character logic. Went on for waaaaaay too long. Not sure any of the really OTT stuff they gave to the protagonist was convincing (or indeed what I was supposed to be convinced of). And Barry Keoghan was visibly much older than the part he was playing (Fennell had the same problem with Carey Mulligan in PYM iirc).

Beautifully acted by everyone involved and I loved the look and feel of the party scene. I think maybe if I'd been age 14-22 in 2006 I'd derive some nostalgia from the cultural touchpoints. As it was, if I'd have been watching at home instead of at the cinema I'd have probably been on my phone after the first hour or so.

Yeah, definitely too long but good performances, particularly from Rosamund Pike - almost every utterance a masterclass in careless, unconscious, polite nastiness. The lesbian line was great (don't worry whiteknights, it wasn't problematic). Richard E Grant doesn't get to say much but was also very good - he had an almost Rowley Birkin-esque lost and sad madness in his eyes.

Sebastian Cobb

What I don't get is

Spoiler alert
If it was all a well-executed long-con to worm his way into aristocracy and then once he was there inherit the house. What was all the lapping up cummy bathwater and grave fucking all about?

That's not to say I think those scenes should've been cut, grave fucking should be present in more films if anything.
[close]

rjd2

Mubi Go?

Does the new film they show every week stay for just a week or have you longer to watch it?

Sebastian Cobb

It only works for that week (as it generates a QR code to be redeemed on an app on a phone in the cinema). Rolls over on Friday's.

dissolute ocelot

Sight and Sound almost never actually says that a movie is bad, but it has an excoriating review from Sophie Monks Kaufman which calls it "tired, showy and hollow" and "like it was melted down from a moodboard dotted with images from better films". "An ostentatious visual language strives to make something out of nothing, shooting conversations in intense close-ups and contriving flashy compositions that are disconnected from meaning" doesn't sound good either. But Barry Keoghan is good.

neveragain

Quote from: C_Larence on November 18, 2023, 06:14:01 PMI detested Promising Young Woman, a completely vapid movie that seemingly exists solely to suggest that it's fine when women are murdered because actually the police will sort it all out.

Not that I'm saying PYW was faultlessly brilliant (I still liked it) but I really didn't see the ending as saying that. What it said to me was the police never act until its too late, and the main character used this as a back-up. A last chance at justice.

buzby

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 20, 2023, 07:19:30 PMAlthough as it happens she apparently got the relatively low budget financing due to the script being liked/bought by a production company.
The film was produced by LuckyChap, owned by Fennell's friends Margot Robbie, Tom Ackerley, Josey McNamara and Sophia Kerr (Fennell got a bit part in Barbie alongside Robbie, which LuckyChap also produced), who had previously produced Promising Young Woman (for which Fennell won an Oscar for the screenplay, so they were hardly likely to say no). It was co-financed by Media Rights Capital, and the distribution rights were subsequently sold to Amazon Studios and MGM.

Variety's review wasn't exactly glowing either.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: buzby on November 21, 2023, 02:36:36 PMThe film was produced by LuckyChap, owned by Fennell's friends Margot Robbie and Tom Ackerley, who had previously produced Promising Young Woman. It was initially co-financed by Media Rights Capital, but the distribution rights were susseq sold to Amazon Studios and MGM.

Should have been clearer, that was in reference to Promising Young Woman not this new one

buzby

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 21, 2023, 02:37:46 PMShould have been clearer, that was in reference to Promising Young Woman not this new one
LuckyChap agreed to produce Promising Young Woman at the pitch stage, before the script was even written. Them getting involved made Fennell change the setting from London to the US when she began writing it.