Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:09:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Anyone from here successfully pitching and writing a Who-related episode must surely make mention of the planet Eggdillis 9.

Replies From View

higher priority to make the doctor say "replies from view" obviously, but yeah if you have time for eggdillis 9 as well, why not

JamesTC

We already have a ready-made TARDIS Wiki page for CaB Who. Here is it.

Mister Six

Natnar

So when will the Next Doctor be announced? I wouldn't be too surprised if somehow the Doctor regenerates back in David Tennant for a short while.

Norton Canes

I did suggest in the Christmas telly thread that they should be announced at the end of the Bake Off It's A Sin Special, since the overwhelming consensus appears to be that one of the main cast will be the successful candidate.

Oh hang on, Omari Douglas isn't in it.

olliebean

Quote from: Natnar on December 01, 2021, 10:08:10 AMSo when will the Next Doctor be announced? I wouldn't be too surprised if somehow the Doctor regenerates back in David Tennant for a short while.

I would. That would be incredibly regressive in more than one sense.

Natnar

Quote from: olliebean on December 01, 2021, 11:00:51 AMI would. That would be incredibly regressive in more than one sense.

Yeah maybe, i bet Tennant will certainly be back for the 60th anniversary though.

So i guess the final Jodie Whittaker episode will lead on to an early 2023 RTD season which will lead up to the 60th anniversary episode.

thr0b

Quote from: Natnar on December 01, 2021, 11:18:48 AMYeah maybe, i bet Tennant will certainly be back for the 60th anniversary though.

So i guess the final Jodie Whittaker episode will lead on to an early 2023 RTD season which will lead up to the 60th anniversary episode.

Story starts with Tennant/Smith/Capaldi doing separate stories, which come together by the twentieth minute, then they run into the newly regenerated fourteenth Doctor, and help out with their regeneration, which has got a bit difficult for some science reasons.

Norton Canes

Or maybe it's just a brilliant story in its own right which doesn't have to rely on dragging old Doctors into the narrative

thr0b

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 01, 2021, 11:25:11 AMOr maybe it's just a brilliant story in its own right which doesn't have to rely on dragging old Doctors into the narrative

That would be preferred, natch. But an anniversary story does have the expectation of Getting The Gang Back Together.

Replies From View

Undoubtedly Tennant and Smith will be open to returning.  Capaldi will not, I believe.

How about yeah they all have their own episodes that conclude with a shopping bag drifting across and whatever else ended every episode of The League of Gentlemen series 3. 

And they find the 14th Doctor inside a robust cartoon elephant and she's like hi guys I lack agency just like when Whittaker stayed in prison, she offers a thumbs up but it is REJECTED and hey presto there is a revamped middle eight in the theme tune

Alberon

So is there any real indication that RTD's version will be up and running before the 60th anniversary?

They're moving production to the Bad Wolf studios and the 60th is just about a week under two years away. So even if post-production on Chibnall's shitfest is still continuing for another year they can get started.

When RTD first took over running Doctor Who it was announced 18 months before launch.

Though in this article they seemed to expect production to take longer.

QuoteThe revival will be produced by BBC Wales, whose head of drama Julie Gardner said: "It will be a thrill to work with him on such a landmark TV series.

"This is very early days and it is unlikely anything will be on screen for at least two years but it is very exciting and I can't wait to get started."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3140786.stm

IIRC they were slightly rushed into announcing Doctor Who's return by a press leak, but I suppose the real question is when pre-production in both cases actually started.

pigamus

The clever thing to do, imo, would be to do a surreal story along the lines of The Mind Robber, and that way you can have all the actors in it the fans want without necessarily having to have them play the Doctor.

purlieu

Pretty sure it was announced that RTD's first story would be the 60th, wasn't it? I doubt we'll get anything before that.

Alberon

I just hope it gets back into a twelve month cycle after that. The show has been in trouble ever since it went to an eighteen month schedule when Moffat took over.

Natnar

Quote from: purlieu on December 01, 2021, 12:33:00 PMPretty sure it was announced that RTD's first story would be the 60th, wasn't it? I doubt we'll get anything before that.

Ah yeah, looking back at the article quoted in the first post in this thread it does seem that the last Whittaker episode will go straight into the 60th anniversary special, which i think makes it even more likely that Whittaker's regeneration might fuck up and she'll degenerate into a past Doctor. I think it'd be a bit unfair for a new Doctor's first episode to be the 60th, unless they just appear at the end after a regeneration.

thr0b

Quote from: Alberon on December 01, 2021, 12:39:13 PMI just hope it gets back into a twelve month cycle after that. The show has been in trouble ever since it went to an eighteen month schedule when Moffat took over.

The show isn't/hasn't been in trouble since the 18 month cycle came in. That's nonsense. It's rarely (if ever) out of the top 10 BBC One shows, and remains one of their biggest international successes.

The "show is in trouble" thing is a Gallifrey-Base meme based on the ongoing panic that it's going to be cancelled, for which there has never been any evidence. And farming it out to a third-party production company makes life arguably easier for the BBC - reap the profits, take few of the risks.

I'd like it to be an annual series, but - small production teams, creative burnout - arguably it's just fine on its current cycle. It's not like something like Death In Paradise, where they can basically use the same script and four sets every week.

Mister Six

There's clearly been a fall off in public enthusiasm and international profile for the show since the Smith era, and I don't think having ab ever decreasing number of episodes every couple of years is helping at all.

Obviously it being shite doesn't help either.

Alberon

Maybe 'in trouble' since series 5 is putting it a bit strong, but it has struggled to keep momentum with an 18 month cycle. Moffat did his best with the split seasons, but that just brought its own problems.

The BBC could have let it drift to cancellation in four or five years, but it seems to have put together (or at least accepted) a rescue plan that could boost it back up there again.

If they can manage ten episodes a year that should be enough. Plus a good spin-off or two.

mothman

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 01, 2021, 10:41:57 AMI did suggest in the Christmas telly thread that they should be announced at the end of the Bake Off It's A Sin Special, since the overwhelming consensus appears to be that one of the main cast will be the successful candidate.

Oh hang on, Omari Douglas isn't in it.
And besides the BBC are hardly going to use a Channel 4 TV show (and a special featuring the cast of another Channel 4 TV show, to boot) to announce the (likely to be worldwide news) casting of the new lead actor in one of their flagship TV shows.

Natnar

Quote from: Mister Six on December 01, 2021, 01:49:35 PMThere's clearly been a fall off in public enthusiasm and international profile for the show since the Smith era, and I don't think having ab ever decreasing number of episodes every couple of years is helping at all.

Obviously it being shite doesn't help either.

I do think if you asked an average member of the general public in the UK to name someone who played a modern Doctor they'd more than likely say David Tennant.

Mister Six

Matt Smith was the Doctor who broke America, though, thanks to a big promotional push. Lots of talk show appearances. Internationally, he's probably the most recognisable. (Well, if you discount the "Tennant sad in the rain" gif.)

JamesTC

Yeah, the Smith era was down marginally on the peak in the UK but it was a huge increase internationally.

I feel like Series 4 was the aberration there though. Series 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7 aren't all too different in terms of UK success. Series 4 just became a bit of a cultural zeitgeist sparked by the Kylie appearance that topped with the phoney regeneration and resolution.

Norton Canes

Quote from: mothman on December 01, 2021, 02:02:19 PMAnd besides the BBC are hardly going to use a Channel 4 TV show (and a special featuring the cast of another Channel 4 TV show, to boot) to announce the (likely to be worldwide news) casting of the new lead actor in one of their flagship TV shows

Oh yeah there is that soz

mothman

It was a nice thought though.

purlieu

With three Chibnall episodes left, is this the closest (episode-wise) we've ever been to a new Doctor without knowing who they are? I know it's technically still two years, but still...

Replies From View

Replies From View

Mister Six

Really hope RTD leaves Moffat, Gatiss and chums out of it for a couple of years, at least. Get some new blood in, but overseen by a showrunner who's not utterly incompetent. And definitely keep her what done Villa Diodati/Village of Angels about, but let her have a whole episode to herself, without having to give up the last 5-10 minutes of the episode to maintain a season arc.