Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:11:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

And give Grant Morrison a call, for fuck's sake. They're bloody brilliant, have Who experience (albeit in the comics), have written for film and telly and have publicly expressed enormous enthusiasm about working on the show.

Norton Canes

And, I've said before, bring some of the best of the current 2000 AD script droids in - Rob Williams, Gordon Rennie (who's a massive fan of the show) and especially Dan Abnett, whose strips read like screenplays anyway

mjwilson

Quote from: Replies From View on December 13, 2021, 05:49:31 PMhttps://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-russell-t-davies-steven-moffat-newsupdate/

RTD has shared his plans with Moffat, who likes them.

Weird things to make a note of here:
Quote from: https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-russell-t-davies-steven-moffat-newsupdate/"Then I phoned him up and said, 'Have you read [behind-the-scenes Doctor Who book] The Writer's Tale? Have you read it? Because I think you should'," continued Moffat.

Not "[Russell's own book] The Writer's Tale" or something more informative like that?

lipsink

Get Jamie Mathieson back. Absolute madness they didn't keep him on. Though maybe he decided himself not to continue under Chibnall.

Replies From View

Quote from: mjwilson on December 13, 2021, 07:43:26 PMNot "[Russell's own book] The Writer's Tale" or something more informative like that?

Yes, definitely not communicating the information very well to people who aren't already very familiar with the details.

Endicott

Quote from: mjwilson on December 13, 2021, 07:43:26 PMWeird things to make a note of here:
Not "[Russell's own book] The Writer's Tale" or something more informative like that?

Moffat was pointing out to RTD just how much bitching RTD did in his own book about how much running Who took out of him. And expressing surprise that RTD would be up for it again.

mjwilson

Quote from: Endicott on December 13, 2021, 08:11:41 PMMoffat was pointing out to RTD just how much bitching RTD did in his own book about how much running Who took out of him. And expressing surprise that RTD would be up for it again.

Yes I know.
My point is that the article doesn't tell you that it's Russell's own book, which is pretty crucial to understanding what Moffat is saying.

daf

QuoteMoffat said: "He's the single best writer in television drama and he wants to do Doctor Who again – great news for Doctor Who."

Ooff!  Take that, Wignall!

mothman

Quote from: daf on December 13, 2021, 08:53:21 PMOoff!  Take that, Wignall!

Heh heh, "Wignall." Like that. I shall celebrate this new name for the besyruped one... with the joining of microwaved syrup sponge and ice cream.

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 13, 2021, 06:50:07 PMAnd, I've said before, bring some of the best of the current 2000 AD script droids in - Rob Williams, Gordon Rennie (who's a massive fan of the show) and especially Dan Abnett, whose strips read like screenplays anyway

Yes, agreed. I'm definitely of the opinion that the BBC's policy of only hiring writers with TV experience is too restrictive for a series like Who, which really needs a constant churn of creativity much like 2000AD thrives on week-by-week.

I'd also add Ian Edgington, Si Spurrier and Nigel "Kek-W" Long to my fantasy list of writers.

Alberon

But not Pat Mills. His stuff has been unreadable for decades.

purlieu

I think they should get Ben Aaronovitch and Kate Orman in, to be honest.

JamesTC

Put all Terrance Dicks and Robert Holmes scripts into an AI programme and let them write it.

Doctor Who and the Pleasant Open Space

purlieu

Put all Terrance Dicks novelisations into an AI programme and let it write it.

Series 14:
The Caverns of Doom
Planet of Certain Death
Plains of No Return
Escape into Danger Zone
Creatures from the Void
Temple of Evil
Discovery of Nightmares
Monsters from Space
Planet of Terror
Fear of the Daleks
The Destruction of Time
Attack of the Beasts
The Nighttime Invasion

Bad Ambassador

I mapped out a three-year plan for the series, and I've got TV experience (audience member, 10 O'Clock Live).

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: purlieu on December 14, 2021, 01:01:31 AMPut all Terrance Dicks novelisations into an AI programme and let it write it.

The Big Finish thread is that way

thr0b

They definitely need to get more writers in, if only to avoid another He'll Do as showrunner by default in a few years time.

And no, film/tv experience shouldn't be essential; there's no reason you couldn't get a great story written, and the script polished by a TV pro.

I've mapped out a 10 year plan, but there's so much full frontal nudity, the woke cowards at the BBC won't touch it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on December 14, 2021, 11:43:53 AMI've mapped out a 10 year plan, but there's so much full frontal nudity, the woke cowards at the BBC won't touch it.

Nothing the TARDIS console can't artfully conceal.  Send it in.

Is it too late to save Chibnall's console room from the skip? There's so much junk cluttering the view you could even have all cocks going in and out and nobody would be any the wiser.

JamesTC

I expect, whether RTD wanted to or not, that the BBC have demanded this be a completely fresh relaunch. Everything needs to be new.

GoblinAhFuckScary

deffo up for more austin powers style genital obscurity

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on December 14, 2021, 02:59:53 PMI expect, whether RTD wanted to or not, that the BBC have demanded this be a completely fresh relaunch. Everything needs to be new.

"New genitals, everything."

14th Doctor's first words.

Mister Six

Quote from: thr0b on December 14, 2021, 10:07:39 AMThey definitely need to get more writers in, if only to avoid another He'll Do as showrunner by default in a few years time.

And no, film/tv experience shouldn't be essential; there's no reason you couldn't get a great story written, and the script polished by a TV pro.

I dunno, the schedule for producing 14 episodes (and I'm hoping that RTD's return along with the Bad Wolf production house means we'll be going back to 13 and a special each year) is pretty relentless, and having someone who can give you an on-budget, appropriately structured and not overlong script is going to make that a lot easier.

I'd hold up Neil Gaiman's second episode - the one that didn't have two years of back-and-forth rewrites - and the really boring Ashildr episode written by a novelist (The Woman Who Lived, I think) as examples of how difficult it can be for people who thrive in other mediums to get the hang of telly. And Gaiman's got TV experience, too! He's just not very well suited to it.

mjwilson

Quote from: Mister Six on December 14, 2021, 03:46:54 PMI dunno, the schedule for producing 14 episodes (and I'm hoping that RTD's return along with the Bad Wolf production house means we'll be going back to 13 and a special each year) is pretty relentless, and having someone who can give you an on-budget, appropriately structured and not overlong script is going to make that a lot easier.

I doubt this will happen to be honest. It would be nice to get back to an annual schedule but I don't think we're going to get above 10 episodes in a season.

Mister Six

Any reason for that? Bad Wolf is sharing the financial load, and 13 episodes is an easier sell for US TV than 10, although I suppose it's well into syndication figures at this point.

RTD just not wanting that kind of workload again?

mothman

By US TV, do you mean some new home (i.e. not BBC America) for the show over there? Because I'd guess it's more likely to end up on another streaming service, where they don't always insist on having 13 or 26 episodes per season...

mjwilson

Quote from: Mister Six on December 14, 2021, 07:34:46 PMAny reason for that? Bad Wolf is sharing the financial load, and 13 episodes is an easier sell for US TV than 10, although I suppose it's well into syndication figures at this point.

RTD just not wanting that kind of workload again?

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Assuming he's going to be as hands-on as before, I don't know why he would put himself through it again.

Alberon

Even the broadcast networks in the US have shows with seasons as short of ten episodes.

It'd be nice to return to the episode count of RTD's first run, but it is unlikely. I'd be happy with ten episodes every twelve months though.

AND a Christmas special.

Mister Six

Quote from: mjwilson on December 14, 2021, 08:05:57 PMYeah that's what I was thinking. Assuming he's going to be as hands-on as before, I don't know why he would put himself through it again.

Because he wants Who to soar and that means getting it back to the formula that worked previously?

I imagine he's going to transition to a less hands-on producer/architectural consultant role after a couple of years, to assist a rotating cast of showrunners and divvy up the ridiculous workload while not running himself into an early grave.