Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:06:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

pigamus

Quote from: mothman on January 20, 2022, 07:20:50 PMUnit, Unit, Unit

I love this, despite it not working on any level

mothman

Quote from: pigamus on January 21, 2022, 10:52:55 AMI love this, despite it not working on any level
Me in a nutshell. But - sing it! It works.

Mr Trumpet

Of all the modern Doctors, Tennant is the one i'm least enthused about seeing more of

mjwilson

It doesn't seem especially credible to me.

purlieu

"it makes more sense than you might think"

No it doesn't.

mothman

QuoteThe tip off was spotted on a Facebook fan page, in which a user suggested a credible BBC source had leaked the information.
The chinny reckon is strong with this one.

pigamus

I wouldn't be surprised. We live in the age of rehash after all.

Replies From View

I've never understood the wishful thinking for Tennant to return.  With the War Doctor taken into account, he was incarnations 11 and 12 of the new era.  It's a bizarre sense of entitlement (and limited imagination for the scope of the show) that he should do more, outside of multi-Doctor celebrations.

mothman

A certain demographic of fan have been fantasising about Tennant coming back even before the Younger Hotter One became the Totally Old Gross One. Would laugh if Moffat had predicted it and had the Curator say:

Quote from: The Great CuratorAnd in years to come, you might might find yourself... revisiting a few. But not that skinny twat who just left, OK?

oy vey

If they want to dip backwards, bring back Paul McGann and give him the few series he deserves. Never happen though.

Replies From View

Quote from: oy vey on January 22, 2022, 05:08:45 PMIf they want to dip backwards, bring back Paul McGann and give him the few series he deserves. Never happen though.

Always wanted more of the retirement vibe McCoy we saw at the start of the movie, too.

Mister Six

It's bollocks, of course. RTD is smart enough to know that they need to look forward. Tennant back for the 60th (along with Smith), which will also be the new Doc's first episode? I think that's almost certainly a lock - and if these rumours are based on anything at all, that's the origin.

Next Doc will be a woman or a person of colour. Leaning towards person (woman?) of colour. I doubt Tennant would even want to come back full-time anyway.

pigamus

Quote from: Mister Six on January 22, 2022, 06:05:51 PMIt's bollocks, of course. RTD is smart enough to know that they need to look forward.

How much you prepared to bet?

mattjjh

Surely RTD will be tempted to go for a non-binary Doctor - it'll bin off all the man or woman arguments and simultaneously wind everyone up?

Norton Canes

Casting Tennant again would be a hugely retrograde step. As would having him and Smith return for the 60th, even.

pigamus

When has the Plymouth Herald ever been wrong?

purlieu

McGann helping the new Doctor through a regeneration for the 60th.

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 22, 2022, 06:50:58 PMCasting Tennant again would be a hugely retrograde step. As would having him and Smith return for the 60th, even.

After Day of the Doctor and Twice Upon A Time, the very concept of previous Doctors needed a proper rest until the next big anniversary.  If the next showrunner had done the right thing, we'd have had fresh adventures, new monsters, new mysteries and no mention whatsoever of past eras or Gallifrey/Doctor mythology.

Of course then Chibnall came blundering in with his ruination knackers and bashed us all in the head with Time Lord lore and Doctor history, making everyone thoroughly allergic to any form of inward-looking, past-Doctor stories for about three decades.

So that's good.

olliebean

I can see him, as I think I've said before, going for a big name short-term Doctor, perhaps only for the 60th, perhaps for 3 specials as suggested in that article, but if he does this it should be someone completely unexpected - not bloody Tennant again. The vibe needs to be new and exciting and a bit unpredictable, not old and well-trodden like a worn out pair of slippers.

Mister Six

Quote from: pigamus on January 22, 2022, 06:41:09 PMHow much you prepared to bet?

How much you prepared to bet?

Tennant coming back for a special, or even for an impish wrong-footing gag I could see (although I doubt Tennant would go for it), but permanently, as the 14th Doctor? Absolutely no chance.

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 22, 2022, 06:50:58 PMCasting Tennant again would be a hugely retrograde step. As would having him and Smith return for the 60th, even.

Nah, it's an anniversary, and the only chance they'll have before the 75th. The only reason not to do it is to avoid overshadowing the new Doctor.

Blofelds Cat

They could do a 1st for Dr Who and pick up what was hinted at with The Curator...that is have an actor return to the role but play it as a totally new characterisation...so 10th and 14th played by Tennant but 14th wildly different persona and look...

pigamus

Replies From View

Quote from: Blofelds Cat on January 22, 2022, 07:40:16 PMThey could do a 1st for Dr Who and pick up what was hinted at with The Curator...that is have an actor return to the role but play it as a totally new characterisation...so 10th and 14th played by Tennant but 14th wildly different persona and look...

That would be so shit though.  It would be shit and RTD knows that's not how to move the show forward.

Chibnall has made the show eat itself and to save it, RTD needs to work especially hard to stop it looking backwards and actually be fresh and exciting again.

Suddenly backtracking on that to please a few people who never let go of the Tennant era would be beyond stupid, and also deeply, deeply shit.  In fact, considering where the show is now and the urgency by which it needs repair, doing that would kill the show dead for a decade at least.

And we all know it, so why are some people here even entertaining it.

Mister Six

Quote from: pigamus on January 22, 2022, 08:04:08 PMA tenner

You're on! Has to be Tennant playing the 14th Doctor in a full-time (minimum 1 season) position, though. Not Tennant coming back as 10th Doctor/metacrisis Doctor, or Tennant playing a temporary Doctor between Whittaker and the next one as a little audience-baiting trick or something.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on January 22, 2022, 08:09:35 PMChibnall has made the show eat itself and to save it, RTD needs to work especially hard to stop it looking backwards and actually be fresh and exciting again.

Absolutely, and anyone who thinks RTD isn't thinking this is in denial or just completely mad.

I imagine the return will be recognisable as Davies Who in tone and form (although I'd love to be wrong-footed there, especially after Years And Years, It's A Sin etc) but - at least at the start - it's going to have to go in completely new. New Doctor, new companion, minimal backstory, re-establish a simple status quo with whatever wreckage Chibnall leaves behind, new baddies, maybe the odd Dalek or Cyberman because they're universal at this point. But definitely not David Tennant popping up, especially playing a different character to the one he played before, which will confuse and alienate absolutely everyone except a tiny number of hardcore Who fans.

Blofelds Cat

Quote from: Replies From View on January 22, 2022, 08:09:35 PMThat would be so shit though.  It would be shit and RTD knows that's not how to move the show forward.

Chibnall has made the show eat itself and to save it, RTD needs to work especially hard to stop it looking backwards and actually be fresh and exciting again.

Suddenly backtracking on that to please a few people who never let go of the Tennant era would be beyond stupid, and also deeply, deeply shit.  In fact, considering where the show is now and the urgency by which it needs repair, doing that would kill the show dead for a decade at least.

And we all know it, so why are some people here even entertaining it.

Ha Ha!

Rattled a few cages here!

Not for one minute saying I support this...

for me they need to draw a line under Nu Who and have a distinctive new tone and feel...as big a change as 1970 and 2005 and blow the audience out of their seats...on non genre forums i lurk on the show is loathed and is perceived to be cheap and tired...audiences now are more savvy and expect feature film techniques and production values...

I reckon we will not see the changeover from JW to 14...you may get a hint..say her hand start to glow...or she may just wave farewell as she leaves in the TARDIS...but it will have to be a break from the skip fire that Chinballs has left...

My moneys on a massive star to generate interest...all this talk of Olly Nomark can fcuk right off...

Will it be a soft reboot or a year zero restart...dunno...the reason I mentioned Tennant returning was the news that Collinson coming back which is a bit disheartening tbh and smells of playing it safe...

mothman

Quote from: olliebean on January 22, 2022, 07:08:53 PMI can see him, as I think I've said before, going for a big name short-term Doctor, perhaps only for the 60th, perhaps for 3 specials as suggested in that article, but if he does this it should be someone completely unexpected - not bloody Tennant again. The vibe needs to be new and exciting and a bit unpredictable, not old and well-trodden like a worn out pair of slippers.
Hugh Grant. Keep saying it but ver wokerati 😉 won't hear of it, nope, it's gotta be a disabled black lesbian or the gammons will have won.

Quote from: Blofelds Cat on January 22, 2022, 07:40:16 PMThey could do a 1st for Dr Who and pick up what was hinted at with The Curator...that is have an actor return to the role but play it as a totally new characterisation...so 10th and 14th played by Tennant but 14th wildly different persona and look...

I guess I'm the only one who really likes this idea. He could have different hair and EVERYTHING.