Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:16:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blofelds Cat

Quote from: canted_angle_again on January 22, 2022, 09:59:57 PMI guess I'm the only one who really likes this idea. He could have different hair and EVERYTHING.

Black up with pony tail and wearing an eye patch and Benoit Blanc accent...

Blofelds Cat

Netto own brand Russell Brand

Replies From View

The future is about Ben Whitehead now.  He's the new Wallace so it stands to reason he will also be the new Doctor.

mothman

mothman

Replies From View

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: oy vey on January 22, 2022, 05:08:45 PMIf they want to dip backwards, bring back Paul McGann and give him the few series he deserves. Never happen though.

Or Colin Baker.

But definitely not Tennant.

As people have already said, this is either pure bullshit or connected to the 60th Anniversary, for which he'll almost certainly be asked to play the Doctor again along with all of the other non-current Doctors whose actors are still alive.

I mean, I love Capaldi's Doctor, but having him come back to play the role long-term again would be an enormous cop-out, and an insult to everyone else involved.

mothman

For me Capaldi is about the only returner I'd countenance. Just because his character took so long to bed in. Smith seems to be obviously done with it all plus he's in the "next Game Of Thrones" (literally, and, they hope, figuratively); but maybe Capaldi is done with it too.

Tennant is doing OK. Granted being the Doctor may not have catapulted him into massive cross-Atlantic superstardom like he might have hoped, but he's a well known actor even if mostly just TV. I'm not sure what he might hope to get from coming back unless he just really enjoyed playing the role. And the fanwankers who want Ten back, want Ten back (ideally, with Rose too). They're not going to want a Doctor who looks like Ten but plays the role differently.

I like to think that in some ways the attributes and experiences of one incarnation can influence and inform the "choice" of next regeneration. It's a weird personal belief I have, which doesn't stand up to a great degree of scrutiny! What I'm saying is though, it doesn't feel like this Doctor is at the point where she might subconsciously or consciously choose "one of the old favourites."

Jack Shaftoe

Isn't this more likely for a separate Who series alongside the main one though as part of the 'Whoniverse' concept? I'd be perfectly happy any of the more recent Doctors coming back for a series or two doing their own thing. Could recast some of the early Doctors too.

I'd love a series with the Doctor interacting with loads of different Timelords, could work well there, perhaps better than in the main Who series, maybe McGann in a pre-Time War series where it has a Cold War vibe with spies and twists or summat like that.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on January 23, 2022, 02:03:50 PMmaybe Capaldi is done with it too.

Capaldi has stated that he has no desire to return to the role in any capacity.  It's not an Eccleston situation but he has effectively ruled himself out.

I don't know if it makes a difference to anyone, but even if he did fancy dipping his toes back in for an anniversary cameo, he wouldn't be growing his luscious series 10 hair back.  So it'd be his series 8 hair or a wig.

Thomas

Quote from: mothman on January 23, 2022, 02:03:50 PMSmith seems to be obviously done with it all plus he's in the "next Game Of Thrones" (literally, and, they hope, figuratively)

Matt Smith is 40 this year. Mad, innit, considering that he famously used to not be nearly 40.

The 60th anniversary would be an odd way to introduce a new Doctor. Bringing Tennant back for a one-off seems plausible.

Mister Six

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on January 23, 2022, 04:09:59 PMThe 60th anniversary would be an odd way to introduce a new Doctor. Bringing Tennant back for a one-off seems plausible.

How so? Seems far odder to not have the new Doctor make their debut at the first available opportunity, and instead flip back 13 years and three Doctors. Would just confuse the audience, especially as Who will have been off screens for over a year (not even an Xmas/NYE special!) at that point.

You can do a 60th without guest appearances by previous Doctors, just hold them off for the 75th (which might be for the best, since Capaldi and Eccles won't be back, and Whittaker can't appear right after her regeneration). Or you focus on the new Doc and use the old Docs to contrast his new personality.

Kelvin

The more I think about it, the more I think it's too soon to have Tenant, Smith or Capaldi back. It wouldn't feel special at all. I'd much rather have a classic era Doctor back for the 60th, as we've not had that happen before in the new series. Or at least one of the classic actors back in a different role.

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on January 23, 2022, 02:11:25 PMI'd love a series with the Doctor interacting with loads of different Timelords, could work well there, perhaps better than in the main Who series, maybe McGann in a pre-Time War series where it has a Cold War vibe with spies and twists or summat like that.
There's no way a great idea like this would be allowed to happen.

I want it to be called Doctor Doctor Doctor Spy.

purlieu

Tennant fans who are that bloody obsessed with having more Tennant have Big Finish to go to if they're that bothered.

Honestly, the only Doctor I want to see back at this point is McGann, because he hasn't had a fair screen opportunity and he'll be 78 by the time of the 75th. A Time War-weary Eight helping the Doctor through an awkward regeneration. It'll be great. Come on Russell. I'll forgive the farting aliens, Love and Monsters, Kylie and the routinely bad conclusions to two parters if you do it.

mothman

Quote from: Kelvin on January 23, 2022, 05:48:11 PMThe more I think about it, the more I think it's too soon to have Tenant, Smith or Capaldi back. It wouldn't feel special at all. I'd much rather have a classic era Doctor back for the 60th, as we've not had that happen before in the new series. Or at least one of the classic actors back in a different role.
A good point. To follow Whitaker with one of the recents would be such a repudiation of progressive casting, they might as well make Laurence Fox the 14th Doctor.

Replies From View

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on January 23, 2022, 04:09:59 PMThe 60th anniversary would be an odd way to introduce a new Doctor. Bringing Tennant back for a one-off seems plausible.

We've learned from the TV Movie that this is exactly the wrong way to approach a new era of Doctor Who.

Replies From View

If RTD doesn't resist the temptation to have some of his old favourites back for the 60th, he's going to need to work doubly hard afterwards to set his new era apart from his earlier one.  I think that Chibnall bringing back Captain Jack lets RTD off that particular hook of expectation, and likewise Chibnall has worn out any desire for audiences to see past Doctors explored onscreen, for better or worse.

There's a tradition for past Doctors on an anniversary like this, but that doesn't mean it's a rule. It's hard to imagine how RTD will resist the temptation, but maybe he'll be able to think about this celebration without all that baggage and approach it more like 'Rose' than 'The Five Doctors'.

I imagine Chibnall will also cover some of this ground with his BBC 100th anniversary special.  He could quite feasibly stuff the cast of 'The Five(ish) Doctors (Reboot)' into that, as well as Tennant and Smith, leaving RTD free to do his own thing.

Mister Six

Quote from: Kelvin on January 23, 2022, 05:48:11 PMOr at least one of the classic actors back in a different role.

I was sort of thinking you could have the old Doctors' actors playing different characters, as some kind of post-regen hallucination for the new Doctor, but then I realised that (A) RTD hates dream sequences, (B) the actors probably wouldn't want to do that anyway, (C) it'd be confusing and needlessly fanwanky at a time when the show needs to be bold and new, and (D) it's shit.

TBH I reckon ignoring the 60th anniversary except thematically (and maybe with some supporting specials like Night of The Doctor/The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot) might be the best idea. Then - if the show/cast/Earth lasts long enough - get everyone back for the 75th.

Replies From View

^ this post was written before Mister Six's post above

-----
Or, actually, screw Chibnall's rubbish BBC 100th thing - the 60th anniversary romp stuff would be amply covered by Peter Davison creating a sequel to Five(ish) Doctors (something he talked about wanting to do anyway for a few years after 2013, but couldn't think of a good enough story or justification).

Honestly, who wouldn't be happy with just that, and RTD kicking off his new tenure with a story that doesn't feature any old faces at all?

Mister Six

Yeah, that'd be ideal. I think RTD is smart enough to know it needs to be the freshest start possible. Tennant and Smith back to get bums on seats maybe, but nobody else is likely to be involved, surely?

Replies From View

I wonder whether a cinema screening would be on the cards.

If so, RTD might have an opportunity to create a Doctor Who movie with no restrictions whatsoever.

Replies From View

What do people have in their minds for a hypothetical "fresh-start" 60th anniversary story?  I'm finding it hard to think outside the paradigm of existing RTD and Moffat stories, where 'Rose' and 'The Eleventh Hour' are about the closest anyone has got to creating 'hop-on' episodes with absolutely no baggage whatsoever.  I'm discounting Chibnall's episode because I never liked it as much as anyone else and it didn't do anything new.

purlieu

I still think The Woman Who Fell to Earth is pretty good, and it felt very different to early versions. It's been tainted somewhat by the direction of Chibnall's subsequent series, but at the time it felt like it could have been the start of a different version of the show. Maybe the quality is more in the potential than the episode itself, but there's something about it feeling more cinematic and yet strangely small-scale at the same time that could really have worked in the long term.

RTD can either go for a modern update of the broad, family friendly version, or maybe try for a very more gritty style of things like Years & Years. Tonally, I kind of prefer his first show, Dark Season, to his earlier Who series, because it had a real paranoia about something very nasty going on behind the scenes, which only appeared occasionally in Who. Despite it being very much a CBBC show, something about it actually feels a lot darker than his version of Who. I really wouldn't mind something like that.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on January 23, 2022, 07:10:13 PMI wonder whether a cinema screening would be on the cards.

If so, RTD might have an opportunity to create a Doctor Who movie with no restrictions whatsoever.

No restrictions? It'd still have to be screenable on BBC TV, and conform to whatever the new budgets are.

EDIT: I've just remembered that he mentions disliking seeing one of the specials, maybe Voyage of the Damned, on a cinema screen at a press event because the direction is all wrong for that format. I wonder if the anamorphic cameras and post-S4 HD might change that. I'm interested to see what Davies' Who looks like now the series has shifted to a more conventionally cinematic use of cameras, lighting, etc.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on January 23, 2022, 07:15:21 PMWhat do people have in their minds for a hypothetical "fresh-start" 60th anniversary story?  I'm finding it hard to think outside the paradigm of existing RTD and Moffat stories, where 'Rose' and 'The Eleventh Hour' are about the closest anyone has got to creating 'hop-on' episodes with absolutely no baggage whatsoever. 

Me too. I'm also torn because on the one hand, RTD is going to want to return nu-Who to its peak, and that was (in the UK at least) S3-4, so I could see him revisiting that tone... on the other hand, he's a smart guy who was already worried about being old hat when he was tapping out The Writer's Tale, and he's had over a decade to grow further. So even going by what came before, I'm unsure.

Personally, I'd like a fresh start, a new introduction - no baggage, no continuity, maybe some subtle echoes of the past or an acknowledgement of what came before, but no Tennant or Smith turning up... multi-Doctor stories are fine when they're all on an even footing, but you can't do that when the new person is just stepping up. And you don't want to sideline them because it might make their fans feel alienated.

Ah, I'm sure it'll be fine whatever happens. He's a clever bloke.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on January 23, 2022, 07:49:25 PMNo restrictions? It'd still have to be screenable on BBC TV, and conform to whatever the new budgets are.

EDIT: I've just remembered that he mentions disliking seeing one of the specials, maybe Voyage of the Damned, on a cinema screen at a press event because the direction is all wrong for that format. I wonder if the anamorphic cameras and post-S4 HD might change that. I'm interested to see what Davies' Who looks like now the series has shifted to a more conventionally cinematic use of cameras, lighting, etc.

I didn't mean 'no restrictions' exactly.  I meant simply in the sense that he could approach it as a standalone movie version of Doctor Who, unburdened by what has come before (apart from the basic unchanging premise, obviously), in exactly the same way that the TV Movie didn't.  If that's what he chooses to do.

I suspect the cinema screenings of 'Day of the Doctor' - and the sheer phenomenon that those were - would have changed his view on the cinematic potential of Doctor Who.