Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:08:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, that would be neat. If that were to happen, I'd he would get Rachel Talalay back on board. She's the best recurring Who director by a country mile.

mothman

Quote from: Replies From View on January 23, 2022, 08:18:38 PMI didn't mean 'no restrictions' exactly.  I meant simply in the sense that he could approach it as a standalone movie version of Doctor Who, unburdened by what has come before (apart from the basic unchanging premise, obviously), in exactly the same way that the TV Movie didn't.  If that's what he chooses to do.

I suspect the cinema screenings of 'Day of the Doctor' - and the sheer phenomenon that those were - would have changed his view on the cinematic potential of Doctor Who.
This is just me being dense, but what did you mean by "in the same way the TV movie didn't"?

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on January 23, 2022, 10:49:14 PMThis is just me being dense, but what did you mean by "in the same way the TV movie didn't"?

The TV Movie began with continuity to the McCoy era, which was lovely enough for longstanding fans but useless for introducing the show to an entirely new audience.

RTD's 2005 relaunch learned from this mistake, and threw us into Eccleston without any baggage.  RTD knew that he or somebody else would be able to pick up that continuity later down the line, but it would be stupid to begin his tenure with it.

Also, my wording was a Douglas Adams reference, slightly paraphrased because it's been a while.

mothman

Ah I see. It's finding the right balance, I guess.

But for my next question, I realised I've lost the plot a bit - are we talking RTD's first episode with the new Doc, or the 60th special? Or are they the same thing?

So, would it be:

1. Chib's last aka BBC100 special - 13 regenerates (but do we see into whom in this scenario?)
2. RTD's first - we don't see the aftermath of 14's "birth" but instead it's some time after when they have settled in, just like we did with 9 in "Rose"

Alberon

The 60th is the first New New Who, but it's possible it might just be episode 1 of Series 14. Then again, it could be a special with a Christmas episode following a month later and then Series 14 in the new year.

So whatever the plan the 60th isn't alone in the way the TV Movie was.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on January 23, 2022, 11:05:32 PMare we talking RTD's first episode with the new Doc, or the 60th special? Or are they the same thing?

These two are the same thing, yes.

November 23rd 2023 will be the 60th anniversary episode, and RTD's first after returning as showrunner with his new Doctor.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on January 23, 2022, 11:13:52 PMThe 60th is the first New New Who, but it's possible it might just be episode 1 of Series 14. Then again, it could be a special with a Christmas episode following a month later and then Series 14 in the new year.

So whatever the plan the 60th isn't alone in the way the TV Movie was.

Of course, but the show is nevertheless on the rocks at the moment, and RTD needs to make the right decisions even though his 60th anniversary story is guaranteed to have some episodes after it.

I mean, I wasn't saying this situation is exactly the same as the TV Movie, with 20th Century Fox, Paul McGann, Eric Roberts and whatever else.  I'm drawing a few parallels, that's all.

Alberon

The previous first episodes after each recent regeneration don't recap the event itself. I don't think there's any need to have a gap and the usual trick of viewing the episode from the POV of the new companion should work as well as it always does.

Replies From View

I agree with that, but I do wonder if RTD will introduce some kind of hook akin to the Time War to introduce some mystery back in, even without such a long gap that benefitted Eccleston's introduction.  Probably not though, after we've just had the Timeless Child guff filling in gaps.

Blofelds Cat

Quote from: mothman on January 23, 2022, 11:05:32 PMAh I see. It's finding the right balance, I guess.

But for my next question, I realised I've lost the plot a bit - are we talking RTD's first episode with the new Doc, or the 60th special? Or are they the same thing?

So, would it be:

1. Chib's last aka BBC100 special - 13 regenerates (but do we see into whom in this scenario?)
2. RTD's first - we don't see the aftermath of 14's "birth" but instead it's some time after when they have settled in, just like we did with 9 in "Rose"

Option 2 for me Clive. They're needs to be a divorce from Chinballs toxic vandalism...he's poisoned the brand and the audience needs to know this is a different show...once the new regime is bedded in they could slowly reintroduce elements from the past if they wish...14 might not even be 14...might be a new 1st Dr...leaves RTD free to reinvent what he wants...so revamped Daleks ready to be met for the first time again...Cybermen etc...

This route was considered in 2005 but RTD decided to maintain continuity with the Classic series...who is to say he may feel he has done it already and wants the fresh challenge of a reinvention

Replies From View

There's zero chance that this will be an entirely new continuity, unless it turns out he's seeding a multiverse situation, but that would be more of a tedious cliche than just continuing with the 14th Doctor.

What was nice in Rose was the character of Clive, which hinted at more adventures, lines like "passed down from father to son" implied that he had photos of Pertwee and Baker lying around the place and that, yeah, this really was part of the same story.

5 minutes worth of well-done script there.

notjosh

Just want to say that I don't give a fuck about any of these anniversaries. I especially don't think RTD's first episode should be hampered by any sense of obligation to convention or fan-service. If he wants to do a multi-doctor episode he could do it on the 62¾th anniversary or something. Make it a mid-season surprise if you want.

Another (recentish) convention I would like to be ignored henceforth is for the Christmas specials to be set at Christmas. Just do it somewhere cold if you really have to.

JamesTC

Quote from: notjosh on January 24, 2022, 09:20:38 AMAnother (recentish) convention I would like to be ignored henceforth is for the Christmas specials to be set at Christmas. Just do it somewhere cold if you really have to.

Or set it on a different planet and have a comment that the date is 25th December. Loads of ways to tie it in without being specifically a Christmas theme.

olliebean

I guess if we don't see who JW regenerates into, RTD would have the option of not making the next Doctor the 14th, but a future Doctor from one or more regenerations down the line.

Replies From View

I'd quite like that approach.  Then the Doctor's history wouldn't have to be all stuff we've seen scraped through with a shit-toothed comb.

But I suppose there would need to be a number given to the incarnation for all the publicising and toys etc

olliebean

Or he could make the 60th a Curse of Fatal Death type multiple regeneration story.

thr0b

The next Doctor will be the Fourteenth.

The stories will be simplified.

It will be a soft reboot, but closer to The Eleventh Hour than Rose (i.e. it will look and sound different, while being obviously the same show), and will not need to refer to the Chibnall era except in the broadest of strokes.

RTD will make some ballsy decisions which will not go down well with superfans.

The ratings in the UK will remain steady, but with confident international marketing it will continue to do well.

I am sure of these things.

Replies From View

Quote from: thr0b on January 24, 2022, 11:40:34 AMThe next Doctor will be the Fourteenth.

The stories will be simplified.

It will be a soft reboot, but closer to The Eleventh Hour than Rose, and will not need to refer to the Chibnall era except in the broadest of strokes.

RTD will make some ballsy decisions which will not go down well with superfans.

The ratings in the UK will remain steady, but with confident international marketing it will continue to do well.

I am sure of these things.

show cock

Replies From View

QuoteHowever, the possible reboot could mean Jodie will not get the chance to participate in the usual regeneration scene - much like when Sylvester McCoy missed out when the show's original run came to an end before the latest run of series began in 2005.

TV Movie deniers

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: Blofelds Cat on January 24, 2022, 12:20:37 PMhttps://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-whos-jodie-whittaker-snubbed-26028127.amp

They say it might not happen, then they quote an interview with the actor where she says she's already shot it? Unless the Beeb is planning to can the last two episodes (about as likely as Michael Grade being cast as the next Doctor) then I don't see how these two things are both possible.

Norton Canes

Quote from: thr0b on January 24, 2022, 11:40:34 AMRTD will make some ballsy decisions which will not go down well with superfans

Pretty sure he'll make some really big political points. I think we're going to see some quite bitter polemic.

Replies From View

QuoteDoctor Who star Jodie Whittaker has reportedly been "snubbed" of her iconic regeneration scene

"snubbed of"?

Not sure that sounds grammatically correct, The Mirror.  One might be "robbed of" something, or "snubbed by" a person/ people or their actions.  Never seen or heard "snubbed of" before, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on January 24, 2022, 01:00:01 PMThey say it might not happen, then they quote an interview with the actor where she says she's already shot it? Unless the Beeb is planning to can the last two episodes (about as likely as Michael Grade being cast as the next Doctor) then I don't see how these two things are both possible.

Her filmed regeneration could lead to a cliffhanger (as per the headless Troughton swirling into nothing), with no connection between Chibnall and RTD2 confirmed.

A good way to set eras apart within a short time frame, in my view.

Mr Trumpet

So no little cameo by the next actor at the end of the episode? If she says it's already been filmed then it hardly seems to be contingent on the latest ratings anyway.

Mister Six

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on January 24, 2022, 01:00:01 PMThey say it might not happen, then they quote an interview with the actor where she says she's already shot it? Unless the Beeb is planning to can the last two episodes (about as likely as Michael Grade being cast as the next Doctor) then I don't see how these two things are both possible.

I suppose if they planned ahead with Chibnall's team or if circumstances were improbably fortuitous they could cut it before the moment of regeneration then pick up with the new Doc after a gap - but they'd need there to be some decent footage to make the ending work.

Or they could just ask Chibnall to cut to credits at the moment of her regeneration, with all the energy swirling around, and then open the 60th some time later, although it might look a bit odd, like they're trying to his the new Doc's identity when it will surely have been announced by that point.

IIRC, in The Writer's Tale (sorry to keep bringing it up, but I've just finished the extended edition, and since it was written during the RTD/Moffat handover it's applicable to a lot of what's happening now) RTD left it up to Moffat to decide whether there would be an RTD/Moffat regeneration scene.

Quote from: notjosh on January 24, 2022, 09:20:38 AMAnother (recentish) convention I would like to be ignored henceforth is for the Christmas specials to be set at Christmas. Just do it somewhere cold if you really have to.

Moffat's already established that as a possibility. A Christmas Carol, The Husbands of River Song and much of Twice Upon a Time weren't set during Christmas. Hopefully there will be Christmas specials after Chibnall, of course! But I assume the Beeb will be happy to have RTD back and will make the effort.

purlieu

God, that Mirror article is atrocious. Given that we've seen McCoy regenerate into McGann, McGann regenerate into Hurt and Hurt regenerate into Eccleston, it's a bit much to say McCoy was denied the opportunity to regenerate into Eccleston. And saying she won't get a regeneration scene in an article that quotes her talking about her regeneration scene is equally bonkers.

Given that it's not long since RTD said they'd only just started auditioning for the role, and the fact that Jodie's already done her regeneration scene, I wouldn't be surprised if her final episode ends like The Stolen Earth.

Alberon

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on January 24, 2022, 01:33:50 PMSo no little cameo by the next actor at the end of the episode? If she says it's already been filmed then it hardly seems to be contingent on the latest ratings anyway.

The regeneration has been shot in two parts before. When Eccleston left and Tennant joined the two halves of the regeneration scene were filmed some time apart. As long as they can recreate the part of the set Whittaker shot her half on they could shoot the second bit over a year later (and probably will).