Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:01:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McDead

Quote from: purlieu on January 24, 2022, 05:11:39 PMGod, that Mirror article is atrocious. Given that we've seen McCoy regenerate into McGann, McGann regenerate into Hurt and Hurt regenerate into Eccleston, it's a bit much to say McCoy was denied the opportunity to regenerate into Eccleston. And saying she won't get a regeneration scene in an article that quotes her talking about her regeneration scene is equally bonkers.

It's terrible, though it is pleasingly reminiscent of the early days of my who fandom, when tabloid newspapers habitually GOT WHO WRONG (spelling Tardis in lower case, calling the show "Dr Who", making up Who movies that would star Donald Sutherland as a gun-toting Doctor and so on). Most entertainment journos are pretty genned up on geek stuff these days, so this awful article takes me back a bit.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: McDead on January 25, 2022, 12:42:48 AMIt's terrible, though it is pleasingly reminiscent of the early days of my who fandom, when tabloid newspapers habitually GOT WHO WRONG (spelling Tardis in lower case, calling the show "Dr Who", making up Who movies that would star Donald Sutherland as a gun-toting Doctor and so on). Most entertainment journos are pretty genned up on geek stuff these days, so this awful article takes me back a bit.

*TARDIS

Catalogue Trousers

David Whitaker preferred Tardis.

Cloud

Quote from: thr0b on January 24, 2022, 11:40:34 AMRTD will make some ballsy decisions which will not go down well with superfans.

Such as making the 14th David Tennant for a few specials before moving on to the 15th?

Really not sure how I feel about that idea (bringing back RTD is one thing but we don't have to go completely backwards) but given what the Curator said it seems plausible.  I couldn't see him coming back for a full series as the reason he even left was he knew he shouldn't stay on forever.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

RTD isn't going to bring back Tennant. This entire notion is based on a bullshit tabloid article that contradicts itself without a care in the world.

pigamus

olliebean

Ballsy decisions, you say? How about Tennant returning as the Master?

Old Nehamkin

Bringing back David Tennant or any other former Doctor to headline the franchise again would be an utterly regressive and creatively bankrupt decision, pretty much the worst move you could make with a show like this which has achieved longevity by being able to keep looking forward and reinventing itself on a regular basis. Resetting the clock to the mid-2000s to pander to millenial fans who have nostalgia for that era of the show would be a fatal reversal of that philosophy and a terrible precedent to set. I would expect and hope that Russell T Davies is savvy enough to understand this.

pigamus

With all the money involved I doubt it's solely RTD's decision to make

Norton Canes

Imagining some suited American head honcho from Sony at the first creative planning meeting going "Sorry, we want the Cockney guy"

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on January 25, 2022, 11:36:54 AMWith all the money involved I doubt it's solely RTD's decision to make

If his view was irrelevant then why would they have him back, heading it with his own production company.

He'll probably make a few stupid decisions yet, but Tennant will not be returning for more then a 60th anniversary story, if that.

pigamus

I never said his view was irrelevant, I said there's big money involved, which I'm sure there is

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on January 25, 2022, 12:26:40 PMI never said his view was irrelevant, I said there's big money involved, which I'm sure there is

Even less likely then that they'll make a stupid decision that will kill the show.

pigamus

Yeah, RTD and David Tennant, nobody's gonna tune in for that

Alberon

I've said before, the next permanent Doctor won't be both white and male. Having a guest Doctor for the 60th only really works if they can land a really big name to play it.

As to being a multi-Doctor story, I'm not sure if RTD would want to start a new run with one. It's absolutely not how he played the show's return in 2005 and I think everyone accepts this needs to be a fresh start after the stink of the last few years.

JamesTC

Quote from: Alberon on January 25, 2022, 12:53:20 PMHaving a guest Doctor for the 60th only really works if they can land a really big name to play it.

The suggestion is Tennant for just the three specials.

I dunno, it sounds like the type of thing a panicking BBC would tell RTD he must do. He can cast whoever he likes for the series, but the three specials must be Tennant because he is the popular one.

pigamus

How about David Tennant and Jo Martin

Alberon

JamesTC

Bring back Graeme Harper as The Doctor, I say.

Norton Canes

Quote from: JamesTC on January 25, 2022, 12:56:50 PMThe suggestion is Tennant for just the three specials.

I dunno, it sounds like the type of thing a panicking BBC would tell RTD he must do. He can cast whoever he likes for the series, but the three specials must be Tennant because he is the popular one

It might just work with Tennant if he gets cameo scenes in flashback (or flashforward, eh!). Or just a single, Time-Crash type scene. Basically, kept away from the main plot while the new Doctor does most of the heavy lifting.

(I say might just... I mean won't)

Bad Ambassador

Reminder that Tennant being involved in any way is based on a tabloid article that repeatedly contradicts itself, citing as a source a facebook comment, which cited "someone in the know".

IT IS BULLSHIT

Thomas

I'll be bowled over if the next Doctor is white and/or male. In fact, I suspect RTD might quite like to write a female Doctor now the door's been opened. I like to imagine he was sat at home thrilled by the introduction of Missy.

Having just watched The Third Day, my wildcard big-name Doctor would be Jude Law. Huge name, trudging middle-agedly out of the ranks of the sex symbol, doing interesting telly. Doesn't seem to mind leaping around, screwing up his face, and making an eccentric fool of himself. I'd give it a few more incarnations before having another white male Doc, but pop Jude Law's number in the book.

Mr Trumpet

It'll probably be someone he's worked with before as well, same as with Eccleston and Tennant. Maybe T'Nia Miller from Years and Years? She already played a different Time Lord in the Moffat era but we know that sort of thing is no impediment.

Norton Canes

Omari Douglas from It's A Sin was being touted a couple of weeks ago. I'd be happy with that.

Thomas

If it was only the bawdy American John Barrowman getting his willy out, is the mild-mannered Scottish one allowed to return?

JamesTC

Mister Six

Quote from: McDead on January 25, 2022, 12:42:48 AMIt's terrible, though it is pleasingly reminiscent of the early days of my who fandom, when tabloid newspapers habitually GOT WHO WRONG (spelling Tardis in lower case, calling the show "Dr Who", making up Who movies that would star Donald Sutherland as a gun-toting Doctor and so on).

Most publications deliberately spell it Tardis because it's pronounced as a word rather than its constituent letters - "tar-diss" rather than "tee-ay-ar-dee-eye-ess". For the same reason they'll write "Aids" but "HIV".

Quote from: pigamus on January 25, 2022, 11:36:54 AMWith all the money involved I doubt it's solely RTD's decision to make

Yeah, and the money is Bad Wolf's. And who runs Bad Wolf? Jane Tranter and Julie Gardner, aka the people who produced RTD's Doctor Who. And they've just brought back Phil Collinson to produce, too.

Sure, Sony bought up Bad Wolf after the Who deal was signed and announced, but there's no reason whatsoever to assume that it's going to try to exert creative control over BW's output, especially this early on. And if some exec were demanding they try to get Tennant, it'd be easy enough for RTD to give him a call and say, "David, we're going to make you an offer that would be the death of Doctor Who, can you turn it down?"

I can't imagine Tennant would be eager to return to Who full time anyway. It'd look terrible on his resume.

Quote from: JamesTC on January 25, 2022, 12:56:50 PMThe suggestion is Tennant for just the three specials.

Which three specials? AFAIK, the only RTD thing that's been confirmed is the 60th, and the assumption is that it'll be followed at most by a Christmas special then a full series. Have I missed something?!

Mister Six

Quote from: Thomas on January 25, 2022, 01:49:58 PMIf it was only the bawdy American John Barrowman getting his willy out, is the mild-mannered Scottish one allowed to return?

I was thinking last night how bloody lucky Davies is that the Noel Clarke/John Barrowman business kicked off before the Bad Wolf deal was announced. RTD's statement that he hadn't seen anything dodgy happen was either bollocks or carefully worded, because he sure as hell knew - there are jokey references in The Writer's Tale and in the farewell song at the end of season four. And if he was "returning Doctor Who showrunner" when it kicked off, the papers might have been more inclined to poke about and test that claim, rather than slap the statement in the story and click "Update".

Quote from: Thomas on January 25, 2022, 01:35:45 PMI'll be bowled over if the next Doctor is white and/or male. In fact, I suspect RTD might quite like to write a female Doctor now the door's been opened. I like to imagine he was sat at home thrilled by the introduction of Missy.

Having just watched The Third Day, my wildcard big-name Doctor would be Jude Law. Huge name, trudging middle-agedly out of the ranks of the sex symbol, doing interesting telly. Doesn't seem to mind leaping around, screwing up his face, and making an eccentric fool of himself. I'd give it a few more incarnations before having another white male Doc, but pop Jude Law's number in the book.

Jude Law's a great one. He's been doing telly for a while, but I think the perception is still that he's a Big Name, unlike Hugh Grant, who long ago transitioned to ensemble films and headlining telly.

Someone who's still mostly headlining films, as Grant was in 2005, would be best, but Law is a good shout.

JamesTC

Quote from: Mister Six on January 25, 2022, 02:09:10 PMWhich three specials? AFAIK, the only RTD thing that's been confirmed is the 60th, and the assumption is that it'll be followed at most by a Christmas special then a full series. Have I missed something?!

Oh, I think I just assumed there had been some announcement. I'm not following any news closely outside of what is posted on here, so I don't know what is confirmed and what is something likely made up by fans in a Facebook group.

Mister Six

Aw, for a second there I thought we'd be getting even more Who.

There's one more special from Chibnall before RTD's 60th, so I guess those two plus a hypothetical Christmas 2023 special might me what you're thinking of?