Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:32:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

Quote from: Replies From View on January 25, 2022, 06:14:17 PMAn article that ends like this doesn't need defending:

Imagine being paid to write it.
It is remarkable that local papers now employ people who have literally no knowledge of journalistic style writing their articles. I noticed something very similar in the Tennant is returning article, a couple of sentences near the end that seemed to opt for 'casual reply on a friend's Facebook comment' as a tone.

Valeyard lined for appearance in the 60th, apparently.

Mister Six

mothman

I was wondering the other day, what in the Doctor's history (that he/she remembers) could be used to discount the TCBX (I'm getting tired of having to type out "Timeless Child bollocks" all the time)?

The immutable facts that could be used for the character to say, "Hang on, all this can't be right, because I remember <x>." Bit more than just "Why was RuthDoc's TARDIS a police box?"

And I reckon it has to be the Doctor's time stream in "The Name of the Doctor." Just the known Docs in there. Unless they're meant to face us believe that not only did the Division remove their memories, but sequestered the relevant portions of the time stream (whatever that actually is).

And also the bit where Clara tells First which TARDIS to take.

Of course putting all this onscreen might require Jenna Coleman back. It's a hell of a price to pay, but still preferable to putting up with the TCBX.

Mister Six

Nah, the best way to deal with it is just to ignore it and never talk about it ever again.

Second best way is to handwave it with some dialogue.

Jerzy Bondov

Billie Piper would make an amazing Doctor Who now. Can't imagine she'd be arsed with it but I honestly think she'd be perfect.

If you widen it to companion actors who could have ever been a good Doctor Who, who do you come up with? Both the Romanas I suppose but that's cheating really. Karen Gillan and Pearl Mackie, but not just yet. Can't think of more.

pigamus

William Russell might have made a good fist of it

Mister Six

Is Bernard Cribbins just too cuddly? Has he ever played a role that required a bit of steel or swagger? I could see him dressed as a flick-knife- wielding teddy boy but I don't know if he could have pulled it off

Replies From View

I mean let's not forget Tennant IS an actor, he could act differently, he even said he wished he'd kept the Scottish accent. I'm kinda onboard with him coming back.

Replies From View

I mean even if we exclude actors who are no longer alive, and focus on only the living ones, we still have many many people to pick from who aren't David Tennant.

I know it's hard to imagine.

pigamus

Midas

jon culshaw doing an impression of david tennant

Quote from: Replies From View on January 25, 2022, 11:04:17 PMI mean even if we exclude actors who are no longer alive, and focus on only the living ones, we still have many many people to pick from who aren't David Tennant.

I know it's hard to imagine.

I know but this could be a cool analysis as the Doctor as a 'self', it could be used to highlight the difference between incarnations, I think it would work for just three specials. I mean McGann is the obvious choice if anyone was to come back but this could really work if done right.

Replies From View

Quote from: canted_angle_again on January 25, 2022, 11:31:13 PMI know but this could be a cool analysis as the Doctor as a 'self', it could be used to highlight the difference between incarnations, I think it would work for just three specials. I mean McGann is the obvious choice if anyone was to come back but this could really work if done right.

Fine, but not before the relaunched version of the show has had time to bed in and stabilise.  Haven't you noticed that Chibnall has completely fucked the desire for anyone to see lingering introspection within Doctor Who for at least a decade?

That's why I said it could be interesting 20 years from now for Tennant to return to the role, with enough time and distance to make it poignant.

Anyway we know it's bollocks.  It might be cool if everyone got addicted to yo-yos for an entire series and the male companion was forced to wear special clamp-on buttocks on his chest that gripped too tightly and made him bleed.

Midas

Quote from: Replies From View on January 25, 2022, 11:57:00 PMIt might be cool if everyone got addicted to yo-yos for an entire series and the male companion was forced to wear special clamp-on buttocks on his chest that gripped too tightly and made him bleed.

"might"???

Malcy

Quote from: pigamus on January 26, 2022, 12:15:09 AMhttps://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/celebs-tv/doctor-who-matthew-waterhouse-shock-return-1744644

Now that is a shock. Didn't know RTD was such a fan but there you go.

This thread has had more replies per day than an ep has generated recently. RTD knows what he's doing. He'll refresh but stay true to the show. I have absolute faith in the man. He better do a 2nd Writers Tale though. I'd look forward to that more than the main show.

Midas

remember, he's going to be copying spider-men and all that. a series with the 10th and 11th doctors travelling together, that's what the man said.

Midas

maybe the new doctor will seem to be a fresh-faced unknown, but just as they're about to be given "what for", they'll abruptly reveal themselves to have been david tennant the whole time, and there'll be a petition started for the academy award

Mister Six

Quote from: Malcy on January 26, 2022, 12:23:41 AMHe better do a 2nd Writers Tale though. I'd look forward to that more than the main show.

I'm sure Benjamin Cook is hassling him on the daily, but I can't imagine him doing that without it being heavily redacted or written with bitten tongue. He did The Writer's Tale thinking he was done with Who forever, and even then he only obliquely referred to trouble with Torchwood. Doing another book, knowing that he's going to be around for at least a couple of years - and maybe more, if (as I suspect) he's going to move into a sort-of Kevin Feige role, overseeing Who and its spin-offs while others do most of the showrunning on them - I think he'd be reticent to really open up.

As much as I'd love to hear him rant at length about how shit Chibnall is. Which he won't, of course, also because they're mates.

Mister Six

Quote from: canted_angle_again on January 25, 2022, 10:47:37 PMI mean let's not forget Tennant IS an actor, he could act differently, he even said he wished he'd kept the Scottish accent. I'm kinda onboard with him coming back.

That'll make no one happy. The Doc 10 fans will miss their Cockney charmer and everyone else will wonder why they didn't just cast someone else.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Mister Six on January 26, 2022, 01:08:58 AMAs much as I'd love to hear him rant at length about how shit Chibnall is. Which he won't, of course, also because they're mates.

Exactly. We'd all love to read an honest account of what went down, but RTD is too much of a gent to give us that. Which is entirely fair enough.

I'm happy sticking with this straightforward narrative: Chibnall is shit, he almost sank one of the BBC's most popular shows, so RTD (possibly by request, possibly of his own volition) swooped in to rescue it.

Rev+

Anyone want to take my fiver on it being Ewan McGregor (doing an English accent, obvs)?

Shaky

Quote from: Rev+ on January 26, 2022, 01:49:44 AMAnyone want to take my fiver on it being Ewan McGregor (doing an English accent, obvs)?

Nah, he'll be locked into the Obi Wan series for a few years. Hard to imagine it won't do well based on recognition alone.

purlieu

Quote from: canted_angle_again on January 25, 2022, 11:31:13 PMI know but this could be a cool analysis as the Doctor as a 'self'
Number 1 on the list of things Doctor Who does not need to be at the minute.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Stop talking about this absolute fucking balderdash.

Cheers.

mjwilson

We could argue about the definition of "cameo" again.

mothman

New Doc can feature a bright red codpiece as part of his costume. With a question mark on.