Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:30:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Roofdog

Quote from: Mister Six on January 28, 2022, 02:52:05 PMDoes anyone know why Capaldi's ruled out any more turns as The Doctor? Being such a fan, you'd think he wouldn't mind the idea of a one-off anniversary special.

He was 25 when The Five Doctors came out, so being an actor was probably too busy having sex with ladies to feel the sting of Tom Baker's rejection.

JamesTC

Hasn't he just made a comment of not being a fan of the idea of returning for an anniversary story?

Replies From View

Would you like it if he didn't have his wondrous long hair?  Because he's never going to have the opportunity to grow it back unless he's retired from acting and just lets it grow and grow.  And the version of the Doctor we all want more of is the series 10 one.

Didn't he simply say the part was too physically demanding and he wouldn't be able to keep doing what the part required?  Fairly sure that's all he's ever said on the subject.

mjwilson

Quote from: Peter Capaldi"There are so many Doctors now," explained Capaldi. "I'm quite happy with what I did, you know. I loved my time on Doctor Who, but I think the more of the multi-Doctor stories you have the less effective they are, really."

https://www.thathashtagshow.com/2021/08/03/doctor-who-why-peter-capaldi-doesnt-want-to-return-to-the-show/

Replies From View

Quote from: mjwilson on January 28, 2022, 05:55:45 PMhttps://www.thathashtagshow.com/2021/08/03/doctor-who-why-peter-capaldi-doesnt-want-to-return-to-the-show/

I wonder if he ever felt disappointed that Tom Baker didn't appear in The Five Doctors.  As a deep fan he must surely appreciate that even the tokenist of token appearances would mean the world to a lot of people.

But he was prescient in his feeling that by the time of the 60th anniversary people would be multi-Doctored out.  It wouldn't be because of Day of the Doctor and Twice Upon A Time, though.

olliebean

My head-canon is that he just didn't want to risk being asked to do a Chibnall multi-Doctor story, and that he also vetoed any Chibnall-penned episodes during his time as the Doctor.

Replies From View

Fairly sure he's also rejected Big Finish.  Maybe he feels his Doctor needs to be written by Moffat.

purlieu

I understand him rejecting Big Finish, it's probably well out of his image of what Doctor Who is. It had an important place before the show was renewed in 2005, but otherwise it's a very niche fan thing that has no bearing on the TV version.

Mister Six

Fresh(ish) from Plymouth Live, which is apparently just a Doctor Who fansite now:

QuoteThe rumour mill of Doctor Who continues, and today is no different as fans continue to speculate over the return of Tenth Doctor David Tennant.

Last month, it was reported that David Tennant would make a sensational return to the BBC sci-fi show as a new incarnation of the Time Lord, making him the first actor to play two Doctors (or more, depending on who you ask).

The original tip off was spotted on social media, in which a user suggested a credible BBC source had leaked the information.

The user claimed this source is the same person who leaked the casting of Sacha Dhawan as the Doctor's nemesis, The Master, in series 12.

And now, a new fan claims the rumours are true after a "very reliable" podcast confirmed the Scottish actor would be returning for a "series of specials" before ending his time on the show with the 60th anniversary.

The "source" also claims that David Tennant will be playing the Fourteenth Doctor with Catherine Tate also returning - but not as Donna Noble.

The idea behind this is to mark a new era of the show by building hype and attracting fans who may have stopped watching the show.

My bold. This would mean more specials between Chibnall's finale and the 60th, which would be a surprise, but would at least make the "Tennant returns" rumours slightly more credible to me. I can't see him coming back to play another Doctor for the 60th, or signing on for a whole season, but I could see him coming back for 3-4 specials as a weird Doc 14 (with echoes of previous Doctors/Who history), then regenerating at the end of the 60th into the new Doc 15. That would (a) avoid the new Doc 15 being overshadowed by the anniversary, (b) give Tennant a bit more to do than flap about for 60 minutes before regenerating, (c) allow for an anniversary-appropriate element of looking back, (d) allow RTD to have his cake and eat it by getting the old audience hooked back in with Tennant while still allowing Doc 15 to start with a clean slate that's friendly to new audiences.

Still sounds horribly convoluted, but having to do a regeneration on the 60th would present all kinds of awkward issues, especially at a time when Who is struggling in the ratings/public awareness.

Alberon

I'm pretty sure if there were more specials between Chibnall's last turd and the 60th we'd know about them by now.

Still very dubious at this rumour.

McDead

The more I hear about it, the more likely (and sensible) it seems.

mothman

I feel like I need a diagram to understand all this.

Kelvin

Surely the rumours about a fresh start, no regeneration, etc, are completely at odds with Tenant and Tate returning. Either RTD wants to dip back into the popular, recentish continuity with a contrived, confusing gimmick, or he thinks the show needs a stripped back reboot.

Still sounds like complete nonsense.

daf

Could it be one of the Sarah Jane Adventures-type "Doctor Who Universe" spinoffs that RTD was touting a while ago?

Quote"There should be a Doctor Who channel now. You look at those Disney announcements, of all those new Star Wars and Marvel shows, you think, we should be sitting here announcing The Nyssa Adventures or The Return of Donna Noble, and you should have the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors together in a 10-part series. Genuinely."

Now that BBC Three is back on proper telly, I could see a "sideways" series of adventures with Tennant and Tate on there. Either in some non-Dr Who roles, or a Big Finish-style crack-filling "Further Adventures" where it all happens between episodes of the original run.*

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (or if they've visibly aged too much, it could be an alternative 'Turn Left'-style timeline that split off at some point, and these are the "what-if" non-canon "just-for-fun" bubble-adventures. At the end they can loop back to the point they decide the alternative timeline split off from the original - and just morph back with some fancy face-youthening CGI : bish-bosh - job done!)

olliebean

Quote from: Alberon on February 05, 2022, 11:40:09 PMI'm pretty sure if there were more specials between Chibnall's last turd and the 60th we'd know about them by now.

Still very dubious at this rumour.

Supposedly there are going to be three specials for the 60th, telling a single serialised story. A "series of specials" ending with the 60th sounds like it could be a misreading of that.

mjwilson

All that's happening here is:

• fans make wild speculation of GallifreyBase
  • local newspaper has an employee with an account, who reports on the speculation
  • gullible people go "oh look it's in the paper, it must be legit"

Don't be the gullible people.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on February 06, 2022, 08:48:59 AMSupposedly there are going to be three specials for the 60th, telling a single serialised story.

First I've heard of it.

Replies From View

Quote from: mjwilson on February 06, 2022, 09:05:58 AMAll that's happening here is:

• fans make wild speculation of GallifreyBase
  • local newspaper has an employee with an account, who reports on the speculation
  • gullible people go "oh look it's in the paper, it must be legit"

Don't be the gullible people.

Indeed.  It's like when Miles Jupp's wikipedia entry got nonsense added to it, he appeared on a panel show and was questioned about it, and instead of saying no he played along.  So then the panel show became the citation for the nonsense.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on February 06, 2022, 01:30:29 PMIndeed.  It's like when Miles Jupp's wikipedia entry got nonsense added to it, he appeared on a panel show and was questioned about it, and instead of saying no he played along.  So then the panel show became the citation for the nonsense.

Ha, when was that?

Replies From View

It's mentioned on his RHLSTP from years ago.

Mister Six

Thomas

Enjoyed this, from Rusty D's Instagram:

Replies From View

I just like "bewitchingly stylist beret".

The less academic question is why the fuck RTD entrusted Chibnall with Torchwood and helped build his ego to a state where he believed he could showrun Doctor Who.

thr0b

Quote from: Replies From View on February 09, 2022, 10:28:28 AMI just like "bewitchingly stylist beret".

The less academic question is why the fuck RTD entrusted Chibnall with Torchwood and helped build his ego to a state where he believed he could showrun Doctor Who.

RTD was close to burnout and took on the first person near capable of it?

Replies From View

Quote from: thr0b on February 09, 2022, 12:29:18 PMRTD was close to burnout and took on the first person near capable of it?

It suggests that they were in a desperate situation indeed if they absolutely had to pick the very shittest writer ever born.  It's unfathomable that they could have had no choice considering Doctor Who's popularity at the time.

They must have seen some good in him, this is the perplexing thing.  A positive quality that we have never glimpsed in anything he has ever done.  And we've seen interviews with him - it's not like he's enthusiastic or enigmatic or inspires confidence on any other level - if anything he has the air of a man endlessly cursing the day he gambled on outdoing Pip and Jane Baker.

pigamus

Today I am mostly reading The Long Game by Paul Hayes, the inside story on how they brought back Doctor Who - highly recommended, it's very good

McDead

Quote from: Replies From View on February 09, 2022, 12:42:42 PMIt suggests that they were in a desperate situation indeed if they absolutely had to pick the very shittest writer ever born.  It's unfathomable that they could have had no choice considering Doctor Who's popularity at the time.

They must have seen some good in him, this is the perplexing thing.  A positive quality that we have never glimpsed in anything he has ever done.  And we've seen interviews with him - it's not like he's enthusiastic or enigmatic or inspires confidence on any other level - if anything he has the air of a man endlessly cursing the day he gambled on outdoing Pip and Jane Baker.

Don't overlook the appeal of the "safe pair of hands". He may not be exciting, imaginative, interesting or appealing, but he understands the brief and brings the work in on time and on budget.

Alberon

Quote from: thr0b on February 09, 2022, 12:29:18 PMRTD was close to burnout and took on the first person near capable of it?

I think we've said before that Doctor Who is a poisoned chalice. Only really big fans dare take it on and only then because the alternative is it going off air. This is the critical issue Bad Wolf will have to sort out over the next couple of series. You cannot have the series creatively resting on just one person. It is just not viable as it currently is.

Chibnall was clearly being trained up for Doctor Who by being given Torchwood. Its critical failings (commercially it did well) might not be totally on his shoulders, though the mess Doctor Who has been in the last three years suggest it is.

pigamus

Quote from: McDead on February 09, 2022, 01:48:36 PMDon't overlook the appeal of the "safe pair of hands". He may not be exciting, imaginative, interesting or appealing, but he understands the brief and brings the work in on time and on budget.

This is the key to his career I think. You ask for it next Wednesday, he does it, no bother, no reflection, no angst, nothing. He doesn't excite you but you don't have to worry about him.

Replies From View

Quote from: McDead on February 09, 2022, 01:48:36 PMDon't overlook the appeal of the "safe pair of hands". He may not be exciting, imaginative, interesting or appealing, but he understands the brief and brings the work in on time and on budget.

But what does "safe pair of hands" mean when he's overseen a shift from Moffat's version of the show to one that needs rescuing from certain cancellation by a showrunner who had promised he'd put Doctor Who behind him?