Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:39:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Belle & Sebastian LP

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 07, 2022, 12:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

I'm a rarity in that I really like Fold Your Hands. Possibly because it was my first B&S album, but the baroque, orchestrated melancholia of it really works for me. The first two tracks are among my favourite of their songs.

SteveDave

I bought "Lazy Line Painter Jane" on the strength of a Planet Sound review without having heard it first (it said they were like the Velvet Underground) Then I mentioned them at a party I went to a few weeks later and was then handed this

https://www.discogs.com/release/2332559-Belle-And-Sebastian-Tigermilk

It sounded like it was recorded off an album at slightly the wrong speed.

jobotic

I should add that I was an indie kid at the time, just not Glaswegian or gorgeous.

Pranet

Quote from: SteveDave on March 09, 2022, 09:44:40 AMI bought "Lazy Line Painter Jane" on the strength of a Planet Sound review without having heard it first (it said they were like the Velvet Underground) Then I mentioned them at a party I went to a few weeks later and was then handed this

https://www.discogs.com/release/2332559-Belle-And-Sebastian-Tigermilk

It sounded like it was recorded off an album at slightly the wrong speed.

I remember a guy in the market selling CDRs of Tigermilk before it was re-released. I didn't buy that because by then they said they were going re-release it, but I did buy a CD of that Paris concert off him.

I had a nostalgic binge on the early stuff a few weeks back, and had a lot of warm feelings going back to my teens. That said, what seemed to me then all sort of melancholy and lovelorn in the lyrics now seems a bit more dodgy in its attitude to women. He never seems to grant them any agency and the only personalities they're allowed to exhibit are enigmatic or inexplicably destructive. If that stuff came out now, it would probably come across as a bit incel-y. Didn't put me off or horrify me or anything - more interested in how my attitudes have changed over twenty years.

I suppose the apotheosis would be that time they went on Jools Holland and he sung about what a cunt his ex was while she had to stand there bashing a tambourine, which seemed wonderfully dramatic at the time but now seems bare dodge.

SteveDave

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on March 09, 2022, 09:57:58 AMI suppose the apotheosis would be that time they went on Jools Holland and he sung about what a cunt his ex was while she had to stand there bashing a tambourine, which seemed wonderfully dramatic at the time but now seems bare dodge.

Yeah, she doesn't look happy

The balls on the man...

You feel like the whole band's got too caught up in their own story to examine whether or not this is an appropriate way to behave. So many people on that stage, and seemingly none of them's gone "er, is this a good idea?"

sevendaughters

has a low level Savile vibe about him. genuinely felt like God Help The Girl was made by a man above the law.

Kankurette

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on March 09, 2022, 09:57:58 AMI had a nostalgic binge on the early stuff a few weeks back, and had a lot of warm feelings going back to my teens. That said, what seemed to me then all sort of melancholy and lovelorn in the lyrics now seems a bit more dodgy in its attitude to women. He never seems to grant them any agency and the only personalities they're allowed to exhibit are enigmatic or inexplicably destructive. If that stuff came out now, it would probably come across as a bit incel-y. Didn't put me off or horrify me or anything - more interested in how my attitudes have changed over twenty years.

I suppose the apotheosis would be that time they went on Jools Holland and he sung about what a cunt his ex was while she had to stand there bashing a tambourine, which seemed wonderfully dramatic at the time but now seems bare dodge.
Explains a lot about his movie then.

QuoteEve escapes from the psychiatric hospital where she is being treated for anorexia nervosa and makes her way to Glasgow, hoping to become a musician. At a gig, she meets James, a lifeguard and aspiring songwriter. He introduces her to his guitar student Cassie, and the three become friends.

Eve meets Anton, the arrogant singer of a Glasgow band attracting attention from a local radio station. She gives him a tape of her music to pass on and they begin seeing each other.

James convinces Eve she needs bass and drums to finish her songs. They and Cassie form a band, God Help the Girl, with some local musicians. Anton admits he never gave Eve's tape to the radio producers, saying she needs better production and musicianship, and they argue.

James discovers Eve's relationship with Anton and becomes distanced from her. Feeling alone, Eve takes drugs and returns to hospital. She tells James she plans to attend music college in London, and they reconcile. After God Help the Girl performs their final concert, the radio station plays Eve's tape. The next day, she leaves for London.

Hahahahahahahaha. Not seen that. Hard pass.

PaulTMA

Saving it for the nursing home

SteveDave

That sounds on par with "Giddy Stratospheres"

purlieu

DrumsAndWires

Their best song, objectively, is The State I Am In. Arguably that album has the best artwork too.

Basically yeah, their music peaked in the 90s. Still gassed for their new LP tho

sutin

He's not the easiest man to warm to, there's definitely something a bit suspect about him. Stevie always seemed more like the guy you'd want to hang with.

If I could say one positive thing about Stuart Murdoch, at least he and B&S haven't been massive terfs in public like their old pals Camera Obscura and Teenage Fanclub.

purlieu

Yeah, Stevie seems like a lovely lad but I've never got on with his songs at all.

badaids

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 09, 2022, 10:35:05 AMhas a low level Savile vibe about him. genuinely felt like God Help The Girl was made by a man above the law.

I read an interview about Murdoch where he described as Christian with a small 'c', about the time that they professionalised themselves up. For some that went a long way for me to explain his creepy persona.

scarecrow

Quote from: sutin on March 09, 2022, 03:37:54 PMIf I could say one thing positive thing about Stuart Murdoch, at least he and B&S haven't been massive terfs in public like their old pals Camera Obscura and Teenage Fanclub.
I'm yet to meet a 50+ Glasgow indie type who isn't a massive TERF, so no surprises here, but when have TFC been publicly TERFey?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: scarecrow on March 09, 2022, 06:13:01 PMI'm yet to meet a 50+ Glasgow indie type who isn't a massive TERF, so no surprises here, but when have TFC been publicly TERFey?

Think it was the drummer (or an ex-drummer).

The Pastels aren't terfs. Well, Katrina isn't, anyway. For all his tedious centrism, don't think Stephen is either.

sutin

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 09, 2022, 07:13:48 PMThink it was the drummer (or an ex-drummer).

The Pastels aren't terfs. Well, Katrina isn't, anyway. For all his tedious centrism, don't think Stephen is either.

Yeah, Francis MacDonald. He was a nasty piece of work on Twitter, went after a few friends of mine (who didn't even @ him in).

Yeah, Stephen and Katrina are great. Katrina started that 'Music For Trans Rights' thing and said that 'Come To The Dance' from the last Pastels LP was about trans rights. The Pastels were always my favs from the Glasgow 'scene' so it was nice not being let down by them.

I don't think there's much chance of Stuart Murdoch going terf, he has always at least feigned an image of inclusivity. It wouldn't be his style.

sutin

Quote from: purlieu on March 09, 2022, 04:53:47 PMYeah, Stevie seems like a lovely lad but I've never got on with his songs at all.

As time as gone on I think Stevie's songs have gotten better. And Jonathan David is one of their all-time greatest obv.

imitationleather

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: sutin on March 09, 2022, 07:26:30 PMAs time as gone on I think Stevie's songs have gotten better. And Jonathan David is one of their all-time greatest obv.

Obv not. It's shit.

phantom_power

Speaking of 90s indie musicians and whether or not they are TERFs, I got a bit worried yesterday when I saw that Marie from Kenickie has liked something relating the TERFosphere but was relieved when it turned out it was someone criticising Rowling, so that was OK.

sutin

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 10, 2022, 08:43:40 AMObv not. It's shit.

What, Jonathan David?? Well... that's a different opinion. In my experience that's always been a popular one with fans and even Stevie cynics.

sutin

Quote from: purlieu on March 09, 2022, 09:43:37 AMI'm a rarity in that I really like Fold Your Hands. Possibly because it was my first B&S album, but the baroque, orchestrated melancholia of it really works for me. The first two tracks are among my favourite of their songs.

It was the first new one to come out after I got into them, and the first time I saw them live was about a year later (in Belfast, the concert featured on the BBC Sessions album). Agreed that the first two songs are killer, and There's Too Much Love rules too.

popcorn

I think God Help the Girl is the worst film I've ever seen in my life. I've seen many worse-made films, but that on top of being badly made God Help the Girl is uniquely dimwitted and trite and hateful. When they lower me into the grave my toes will still be curled with embarrassment thinking about it.

That Wikipedia plot summary doesn't mention the fact that one of the characters goes to a Christian faith healer at one point and is cured of troubles.

I saw B&S live at the anniversary show for If You're Feeling Sinister a few years back and had very mixed feelings about it. Kind-of cringe-tainted nostalgia.

Was perturbed by the fact that Murdoch appeared to've adopted the speech mannerisms of a twenty-something youtube vlogger, which for a man his age is just plain unseemly.

Basically, just this but an actual grown human being.

Kankurette

Quote from: phantom_power on March 10, 2022, 09:21:23 AMSpeaking of 90s indie musicians and whether or not they are TERFs, I got a bit worried yesterday when I saw that Marie from Kenickie has liked something relating the TERFosphere but was relieved when it turned out it was someone criticising Rowling, so that was OK.
Oh thank fuck, I adore Kenickie and I don't want them going full TERF.

sevendaughters

lol this thread did not go where Jeepster hoped it would