Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:51:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on March 07, 2022, 08:13:03 PMGuess Eccles

Some episodes credit him as Guess Who, and others as The Guess.

pigamus

Guess Eccles, Test Eccles, Wallet and Watch

Replies From View

Just realised it should be quite feasible to have a version of Guess Who soon enough using all the Doctors.

Brilliant idea of mine that, that I quite suspect is entirely unique and that therefore I am a genius.

purlieu

Replies From View

When RTD's first new series broadcasts, won't we have a whole new logo etc?

It makes me remember again that the blu ray releases of classic era complete seasons really needed to keep using the established Pertwee/McGann version of the logo. 

There's no way they'll still be using the Chibnall logo in 2024 so it was incredibly short sighted of them to adopt it.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Replies From View on March 07, 2022, 11:14:15 PMJust realised it should be quite feasible to have a version of Guess Who soon enough using all the Doctors

Factor in Morbius Doctors, Big Finish, Fatal Death etc. and we're well there.

Or just factor in the Timeless Child and include pictures of every human person that ever lived ever

mjwilson

Quote from: Replies From View on March 13, 2022, 03:46:18 PMWhen RTD's first new series broadcasts, won't we have a whole new logo etc?

It makes me remember again that the blu ray releases of classic era complete seasons really needed to keep using the established Pertwee/McGann version of the logo. 

There's no way they'll still be using the Chibnall logo in 2024 so it was incredibly short sighted of them to adopt it.

Ah, it's a fine logo, they can just keep using it.

Replies From View

Quote from: mjwilson on March 13, 2022, 03:54:26 PMAh, it's a fine logo, they can just keep using it.

Would they, though?  As a matter of principle, of all round refreshing the brand, I don't believe they will keep it.

mjwilson

Quote from: Replies From View on March 13, 2022, 03:55:29 PMWould they, though?  As a matter of principle, of all round refreshing the brand, I don't believe they will keep it.

Oh I see what you mean.

Maybe Rusty will save the branding consistency like he saved Big Finish last time.

Replies From View

Quote from: mjwilson on March 13, 2022, 03:59:58 PMOh I see what you mean.

Maybe Rusty will save the branding consistency like he saved Big Finish last time.

The only branding consistency is refreshing the logo etc on a routine basis.  The Pertwee/McGann logo was sensibly being used for classic era stuff, and in 2013 it was also used for rereleases of new era series 1-6.  It seemed a good future-proofing method when they did it that way.  Newest logo for relevant new releases, and Pertwee/McGann logo for everything else.  Either that or release every season using its own logo.

It was bonkers for the classic era to adopt Chibnall's logo, as it was obvious the blu ray releases would extend beyond his tenure and now fans are going to complain about logo changes on their classic era box sets.

The Chibnall logo has no connection to the classic era nor the newest RTD era, so I can't see it being retained when everything else has moved on.

McDead

Keep it for the blu rays, it looks good.

Mister Six

Yeah the new logo is one of the few Chibnall changes I actually like (anamorphic cameras, new intro graphics and new time vortex being the others).

olliebean

The Chibnall logo is better than the RTD and Moffat logos, IMO. The Moffat one was blocky as hell and the RTD one was lensflare city.

Replies From View

Target books, DWM, video releases and so on have only ever used the 'current' version of the logo while the show has been on television.  After 1989 DWM started using Tom Baker's logo for a bit, then the TV Movie brought the McGann logo permanently to classic era media, even as post-2005 Who arrived.

In 2013, with the 50th anniversary, there seemed to be some attempt to rewrap RTD and Moffat's previous series in McGann logo covers, as if to say that everything apart from the newest series was now just 'classic'... until that point the BBC were still viewing the classic and newer eras of the show as separate entities and it seemed like the 50th anniversary was an opportunity to rejig.

They should have kept the McGann logo for the DVDs / blu rays, or used season-specific logos for each release.  Keeping the Chibnall logo when it's no longer relevant would be an unprecedented step - it neither ties Classic Who into its own legacy nor connects it to the present era of the show.  It's a complete mess - an absolute failure of forward thinking.

JamesTC

The team behind the Blu-rays have said they will be keeping the logo for the whole range when the question was asked around the time Season 12/19 came out. Plans can change, but I imagine that if the BBC did force them to change it, they'd overlay the logo with an easily removable card with the new logo on it.

The Chibnall era logo on everything thing was an order from on high. I seem to remember it being mentioned that some of the higher ups at BBC Studios just couldn't get their head around anybody in the audience wanting anything with a previous Doctor/era. They had to really convince the higher ups to make the Blu-ray and animation ranges (amongst other things).

I really think the Chibnall era was a big clusterfuck in more ways than just the obvious. In so many areas, the brand has been handed to people who just don't have a single fucking clue about their audience. Even Big Finish has gone to absolute pot in the last few years. The Blu-ray and animation range are the only great things the show has left right now. And the animation range is soon to be dead too.

Midas

the mcGabb logo is easily the strongest. they should keep it and give it a rest.

purlieu

Yeah, I was saying this when they first announced everything would have the Chibnall logo on going forward. Obviously the BluRays are going to keep with it - there reversible sleeves for the early 10s DVD releases just so the spines have the same style BBC logo shows how much they're aware that fans may have a very anal approach to spine consistency - but will everything else change to the new logo, or just go back to the McGann one, or what? Obviously the Targets all used the then-current logo so I suppose everything adopting the new style does have some precedent.

Jerzy Bondov

Personally I think everything should just have the logo from that era. It doesn't make sense to me that this incredibly varied show should have one logo for every era. Then you'd see the McCoy logo and immediately know it's all shit and not worth bothering with.

Alberon

Oh, the good old Plymouth Herald. There's one rabid Whovian there. They're still saying there's a series of specials in 2023, but I'd be very surprised if there is more than two.

The Roofdog

Did you insinuate Ram from Class was the next Doctor in the TV section of the Plymouth Herald?

Mister Six

The first episode of RTD's Doctor Who will just be that one guy playing The Doctor, and nobody else in it, apparently.

Alberon

Lovely!

Spoiler alert
Unhand me you metal pricks!
[close]

Deanjam

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 01, 2022, 01:05:33 PMhttps://twitter.com/Robritchie409/status/1509838735634059264?s=20&t=mM_Ho-mFA85vmNmRvZLLVg

Davros will forever now be known as malnourished ballsack. Would genuinely watch a more comedic version of the show with Matt Berry doing his thing.

olliebean

Quote from: Mister Six on April 01, 2022, 12:50:49 PMThe first episode of RTD's Doctor Who will just be that one guy playing The Doctor, and nobody else in it, apparently.

Nah, Moffat already did that.

Alberon

Quote from: Deanjam on April 01, 2022, 06:13:15 PMDavros will forever now be known as malnourished ballsack. Would genuinely watch a more comedic version of the show with Matt Berry doing his thing.

Give Big Finish a few months and they'll have an episode out.

daf

Replies From View