Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:12:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

I'm fine with keeping the Chibnall logo if the alternative is another lens-flare monstrosity like RTD had the first time round.

Mister Six

They can keep Chibnall's logo, intro and time tunnel effect. All of those were quite good. Fuck off the rest, mind.

Quote from: olliebean on April 01, 2022, 06:39:07 PMNah, Moffat already did that.

Haha, I thought that as I wrote it.

Malcy

Quote from: olliebean on April 01, 2022, 08:40:39 PMI'm fine with keeping the Chibnall logo if the alternative is another lens-flare monstrosity like RTD had the first time round.

I'm just hoping we get that cracking theme tune that they used in the early trailers. Couldn't give a flying shite what the logo is but as much as I liked the theme tune I still massively preferred the one in the trailers.

Replies From View

The logo, theme tune, time tunnel and TARDIS interior will all be entirely new in 2023.  This much is basic.

The Chibnall logo only brings Chibnall's terrible era of Doctor Who to my mind, so I am dead keen for it to fuck off with him.

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on April 01, 2022, 09:53:09 PMThe logo, theme tune, time tunnel and TARDIS interior will all be entirely new in 2023.  This much is basic.

Yeah true, would still have been nice though. Was quite an ominous version.

RTD's BF audio is out. Dunno when I'll get round to it. Have just started the Eccleston series.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on April 01, 2022, 09:44:12 PMI'm just hoping we get that cracking theme tune that they used in the early trailers. Couldn't give a flying shite what the logo is but as much as I liked the theme tune I still massively preferred the one in the trailers.

I don't remember it and may have not even heard it.  Do you have a link?

If it didn't have that stupid rattling cutlery drawer it's better.

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on April 01, 2022, 09:55:25 PMI don't remember it and may have not even heard it.  Do you have a link?

If it didn't have that stupid rattling cutlery drawer it's better.

Possibly this one, but i'm doubting myself. I have the 'clean' version of it i suppose somewhere. I'll need to look it out. Its just a key or so lower and not sire that this is it but apart from anything else. I am absolutely bingeing S1 this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYIu7Qlqh4M

Replies From View

Oh, sorry - the RTD trailer from 2005.  Due to talking about the Chibnall logo I thought you were talking about the Chibnall theme tune as well.

To me, that just sounds like the standard RTD version.  But I do recall trailers from that time featuring something more like the original Delia Derbyshire arrangement, without as much (or possibly any) orchestra augmentation.

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on April 01, 2022, 10:15:47 PMOh, sorry - the RTD trailer from 2005.  Due to talking about the Chibnall logo I thought you were talking about the Chibnall theme tune as well.

To me, that just sounds like the standard RTD version.  But I do recall trailers from that time featuring something more like the original Delia Derbyshire arrangement, without as much (or possibly any) orchestra augmentation.

Ah right sorry. Yeah it was just that little bit lower as was the 'oohweeeohh'. Does that bit have a name like the 'middle 8' does?

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on April 01, 2022, 10:19:07 PMAh right sorry. Yeah it was just that little bit lower as was the 'oohweeeohh'. Does that bit have a name like the 'middle 8' does?

Dunno.  "The melody", probably.

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on April 01, 2022, 09:53:09 PMThe logo, theme tune, time tunnel and TARDIS interior will all be entirely new in 2023.  This much is basic.

Yeah, OK, they can do what they like with the logo and theme tune as long as we get a TARDIS interior that is less shite.

Malcy

Watchimg videos of the Fisherman's Friends and this comed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bisv9LLJCtk

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on April 01, 2022, 10:50:42 PMYeah, OK, they can do what they like with the logo and theme tune as long as we get a TARDIS interior that is less shite.

Shall we offer some predictions about the new TARDIS interior?

I'm suspecting it'll be more in line with the Capaldi console room than we might assume, just because it got so much right.  I'm going to wager a similar use of levels, but less chrome.  They've not extensively used wood for a while, so I'll go with that.  Different natural wood shades, I reckon.  Augmented by flashes of something like ivory.

I reckon they'll build something iconic and aim to keep it for more than one Doctor, as well, to reduce the sense that every aspect of the show is immanently disposable / non-committal.

WHAT DOES EVERYBODY ELSE THINK.

Mister Six

Malcy

Quote from: Mister Six on April 04, 2022, 02:50:29 PMCheers - being discussed in the Chibnall thread.

Was a lot drunker than I thought earlier than I thought on Saturday! I wonder what other Who episode trailers could be suggested based on music?

This was supposed to start production this month. Has there been any confirmation of that? I've seen that RTD seems to be working on Nollie starting last week.

Mister Six

Quote from: Malcy on April 04, 2022, 02:57:06 PMWas a lot drunker than I thought earlier than I thought on Saturday! I wonder what other Who episode trailers could be suggested based on music?

This was supposed to start production this month. Has there been any confirmation of that? I've seen that RTD seems to be working on Nollie starting last week.

What's Nollie? All Google gives me is skateboarding tricks.

Alberon

ITV biopic of Noele Gordon about her time in the greatest soap ever, Crossroads.

Mister Six

Ah, "Nolly", apparently. Not sure what RTD will have to do with it now, though. Script was finished at least when Helena Bonham Carter signed on in November last year, and he's not directing it. Maybe he'll sit in on the edit and write some scenes for pickups if needed, but I can't see it taking up too much of his time at this point.

Malcy

Bloody auto-correct!

He posted something about him in a production meeting or something so i'd assume he would be doing things like that and still be somewhat hands-on and wanting to make sure everything is going ok, but we all know he is a workaholic so he's probably loving it!

Mister Six

DAMMIT, Davies, don't get burned out before you even finish your first season!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I hope he's given up the cigs for good. One of the abiding images I had after reading The Writer's Tale is a chain smoking man pacing around Cardiff Bay at 4am, desperately trying to piece things together.

Replies From View

Interesting schedule clash.  Looks a bit like maybe he was due to be involved with Nolly in a bigger way at this stage, but Doctor Who suddenly became the thing he needed to do.

I have no basis for this reading, beyond believing that Chibnall was sacked and RTD had to step in urgently.

Replies From View

Quote from: Replies From View on April 04, 2022, 01:47:05 PMShall we offer some predictions about the new TARDIS interior?

I'm suspecting it'll be more in line with the Capaldi console room than we might assume, just because it got so much right.  I'm going to wager a similar use of levels, but less chrome.  They've not extensively used wood for a while, so I'll go with that.  Different natural wood shades, I reckon.  Augmented by flashes of something like ivory.

I reckon they'll build something iconic and aim to keep it for more than one Doctor, as well, to reduce the sense that every aspect of the show is immanently disposable / non-committal.

WHAT DOES EVERYBODY ELSE THINK.

I SAID WHAT DOES EVERYBODY ELSE THINK ANSWER ME

That all sounds plausible. I think you might be right.

LOG FLUME AROUND OUTSIDE OF CONSOLE ROOM

Norton Canes

Alberon

RTD will confound expectations and make the TARDIS smaller on the inside.

mjwilson

Quote from: Replies From View on April 05, 2022, 05:07:04 PMI SAID WHAT DOES EVERYBODY ELSE THINK ANSWER ME

I think it will be red

JamesTC

It will just be a tiny set darkly lit in the corner of the studio for one episode just like Season 26.