Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:22:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

I doubt there'll be a TARDIS. Every other aspect of Doctor Who has changed since it started in 2005, I reckon it's about time they got rid of it and had Doctor Who stay in one place and time. Probably become a policeman for the next few years.

Replies From View

Quote from: mjwilson on April 05, 2022, 06:46:23 PMI think it will be red

Who remembers that bloke who had THE NEW DOCTOR WHO on a car and pretended they had filmed an episode, all evidence of which he was assured had been conveniently wiped forever, and during his interview of shit made-up on the spot he started saying OH YES AND THE TARDIS WAS A RED TELEPHONE BOX TO BREAK WITH TRADITION, AND WE THOUGHT THAT COULD ANNOY A FEW FANS, YEAH

and anyway all photos of it were destroyed as well, so... but it did happen.  next question

Replies From View

^ well that was really good when that happened.

Rev+

Removed by request

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Rev+ on April 06, 2022, 12:34:46 AMText S***T to 8***8

Yeah, don't be an idiot like me and do this without bothering to Google it first.

Rather than getting some sort of exciting exclusive Doctor Who content (one reason I didn't Google it was to avoid getting spoilered as to what happens), you end up wasting the time of some poor volunteer on a mental health chatline.

Why?

daf

Quote from: Alberon on April 05, 2022, 06:08:05 PMRTD will confound expectations and make the TARDIS smaller on the inside.

That's the gag with Iris Wildthyme - (it's stuck as a red double decker bus).

She also goes round with a talking stuffed panda as a companion - voiced by that bloke who did Kenneth Williams a few years ago.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Replies From View on April 05, 2022, 09:29:56 PMWho remembers that bloke who had THE NEW DOCTOR WHO on a car and pretended they had filmed an episode, all evidence of which he was assured had been conveniently wiped forever, and during his interview of shit made-up on the spot he started saying OH YES AND THE TARDIS WAS A RED TELEPHONE BOX TO BREAK WITH TRADITION, AND WE THOUGHT THAT COULD ANNOY A FEW FANS, YEAH

and anyway all photos of it were destroyed as well, so... but it did happen.  next question

Adrian Rigelsford?

daf

David Burton - a local paper reporter who blagged a free car from a garage by claiming he was going to be 'The new Doctor Who", and then got caught out when fans started probing his story.

QuoteIt may well have been that David Burton was simply engaging in a little bit of over-enthusiastic and profile-raising "self-promotion" when he decided to make his claims, possibly in an effort to secure himself the sponsorship deal with Shield. He may never have considered the possibility that Shield would then publicly advertise his claims in such a way or perhaps he was simply thinking that no one would ever really question whether or not he had actually filmed anything. If that was the case, then he chose the wrong programme to home in on. If he had fictitiously claimed that he'd done a test to be the new presenter of a revived but ultimately unmade series of Crackerjack!, then it's doubtful that anyone would have ever batted an eyelid. But Doctor Who was always going to be a different matter and over twenty years later, the subject of Burton's supposed involvement is still being talked about amongst the fans.
http://www.endofthelane.co.uk/burton.html

Replies From View

It's just so weird that years later, for the DVD interview, he doubled down on the lie rather than recognise enough time had passed to come clean.

"You know what - I made a stupid decision in the early 90s to try to blag a free car" would have been an equally interesting story if he'd still relayed all the same details and excuses he perpetuated at the time.  Continuing to lie about it just made him seem deluded.  Maybe he is.

Anyway.

gilbertharding

Quote from: daf on April 06, 2022, 12:29:20 PMDavid Burton - a local paper reporter who blagged a free car from a garage by claiming he was going to be 'The new Doctor Who", and then got caught out when fans started probing his story.

Strange - he doesn't look like a wrong-un.

Mister Six

daf

That pic is EXACTLY how Panda sounds - he's a complete scream!

olliebean

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 06, 2022, 12:54:33 PMStrange - he doesn't look like a wrong-un.

The speed that image loaded at took me right back to my 56k modem days.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on April 06, 2022, 10:14:25 PMThe speed that image loaded at took me right back to my 56k modem days.

You mean the speed it took you to take the entire image into your brain.

Rev+

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on April 06, 2022, 01:48:45 AMYeah, don't be an idiot like me and do this without bothering to Google it first.

Rather than getting some sort of exciting exclusive Doctor Who content (one reason I didn't Google it was to avoid getting spoilered as to what happens), you end up wasting the time of some poor volunteer on a mental health chatline.

Why?

Really sorry, I've reported my own post and it'll hopefully be deleted.  I genuinely thought that anyone would clock that text thing as what it was, as it's very widely advertised (although it's possible that I see it more than some due to this and that, so it's completely emblazoned on my brain).  Didn't think anyone would actually do it as it was intended to be a glib 'you lot are going a bit weird in the absence of any actual information on the next series' gag.  Which isn't actually funny, admittedly, but it's only got to seem funny in the one second it takes to hit post.

Sorry for shitting up the thread.  Doubly sorry that it was this one and not the Chibnall one.

JamesTC

In fairness, I do find the idea of accidentally texting a mental health text service and then having to sheepishly apologise and tell them you thought you were going to get a Doctor Who easter egg is quite funny.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: purlieu on April 05, 2022, 08:59:29 PMI doubt there'll be a TARDIS. Every other aspect of Doctor Who has changed since it started in 2005, I reckon it's about time they got rid of it and had Doctor Who stay in one place and time. Probably become a policeman for the next few years.

And fall in love with all the companions and sulk around like a bloody teenager when they leave and exhibit hitherto unseen magic powers like flying and being god, even though those powers would have come in handy in all the previous stories.

Replies From View

Do you reckon they might gradually shift the regeneration effect into greater variety again?  I miss them being different each time the way they were in the classic era.

Replies From View

Quote from: jamiefairlie on April 07, 2022, 05:42:29 PMAnd fall in love with all the companions and sulk around like a bloody teenager when they leave and exhibit hitherto unseen magic powers like flying and being god, even though those powers would have come in handy in all the previous stories.

It's really hard to backpedal once you go so far into that territory.  Once the Doctor is a superhero you have to start writing more excuses for why he/she isn't every week just farting themselves up into a giant floating purple cloud and resurrecting everyone.

purlieu

All three showrunners have done it to one degree or another, so I don't expect a returning RTD to do any different, but what I would give for the Doctor to just become a wanderer who fixes problems again. I don't want the character to be Important all the time.

mjwilson

Quote from: purlieu on April 07, 2022, 07:20:52 PMAll three showrunners have done it to one degree or another, so I don't expect a returning RTD to do any different, but what I would give for the Doctor to just become a wanderer who fixes problems again. I don't want the character to be Important all the time.

What you want is Jodie Whittaker's first season.

purlieu

The lack of the Doctor being the focus of every galaxy-spanning catastrophe was one of many decisions I liked about Chibnall's first season (along with the return of educational historicals and the lack of an arc leading to a bombastic finale), just a shame it wasn't someone else doing the actual writing. The introduction of the timeless child thing in the second episode also made me fear the worst (although it turned out to be far worse than I imagined).

jamiefairlie

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 06, 2022, 12:54:33 PMStrange - he doesn't look like a wrong-un.

"Hmmm, pretending to be Dr Who didn't work, I know I'll do Jimmy Saville next, he's popular!"

Replies From View

QuoteShowrunner Chris Chibnall has said he expects his controversial canon changes to Doctor Who, the Timeless Child retcon being the biggest, will be ignored by his successors, including Russell T Davies.

Chibnall told the Radio Times: "You're not carrying a vase across a room – you've got to get in there and say what you want about the show, the character and the world."

He continues: "It's one of the few drama series without a written bible, and every era contains a contradiction or left-turn from what has come before. Any future showrunner will ignore it or run with it."

Chibnall concludes: "Oh, I fully expect Russell to ignore it!"

As for returning to the show to write another episode, Chibnall makes it very clear: "Absolutely never again! Clear red line, final script."

He added"I never expected to come back after working with Steven [Moffat], really, and I'd turned it down a couple of times after that. I never thought I'd be offered the job and built into that is why I wanted to keep it to a very specific three-series thing.

"Supervising teenagers' revision is taking up my time now and there's lots of other things to write! I will happily sit back and watch. For all that it's been gorgeous all along, now it's like, 'Oh I remember this. This is what real life is like!'"

Alberon

QuoteChibnall told the Radio Times: "You're not carrying a vase across a room – you've got to get in there and say what you want about the show, the character and the world."

To be fair, he's not wrong about that. It's just that what he wanted to say about the show and the way he did it was unremittingly shit.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on April 12, 2022, 09:02:02 AMTo be fair, he's not wrong about that. It's just that what he wanted to say about the show and the way he did it was unremittingly shit.

He hasn't realised the crucial difference between himself and all previous showrunners.

You can say all you want "about the show, the character and the world" within your own historical bubble. 

You can say "here is the present day of our characters, this is what they think of the Doctor, these are the issues of now and here are our characters dealing with those" without at any point subtracting from the bigger picture by creating an origin story for a character who hasn't needed one for almost 60 years.

You can make a single incarnation of the Doctor half-human, or even - much as I loathe it - more romantic than other incarnations with an ambiguous relationship status with the companion.  I hate that stuff but it still becomes historical - it is still of its time and doesn't insist on being seen from now on as forever sitting within the foundations of the show itself.

If the showrunner's role was what Chibnall assumed, the history of Doctor Who would be like Texas Chainsaw Massacre sequels, prequels and remakes in its attempts to establish, correct, amend and reboot where the Doctor actually came from.  In actual fact it has been an organic process up until now:  the Doctor has a planet of origin, it is called Gallifrey, his/her people are known as Time Lords, they regenerate, and it was a gradual process as the show needed it.  Little by little the various producers of the show built on what came before.  There was never any cunt going "I only have three series - I must quickly assert my choices on what has hitherto been a collaborative process.  This will prove that I was right about The Brain of Morbius all those playtimes ago."

Chibnall couldn't help himself.  Or he's too thick to see the difference.  Either way I hope his teenage children ignore his revision advice because it'll be shite.

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on April 12, 2022, 08:09:50 AMAs for returning to the show to write another episode, Chibnall makes it very clear: "Absolutely never again! Clear red line, final script."

Thank Christ for that!

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on April 12, 2022, 10:28:19 AMThank Christ for that!

RTD said the same thing, though.  As has Moffat, who I am suspecting will nevertheless write an episode or two once a few more years have passed.

purlieu

That'll be because they want to rather than because they feel obliged to.

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on April 12, 2022, 10:46:05 AMThat'll be because they want to rather than because they feel obliged to.

Same thing could occur with Chibnall.

The strange thing here is that Chibnall has always had the vibe of a man hurriedly getting some tedious chores completed rather than enthusiastically grappling with his teenage self's dream job.  I can't wrap my head around how empty of all passion he has always looked and sounded.  His writing, wherever it is, on screen or in the pages of DWM, feels like he's word-counting from 50 words onwards.

I can imagine him being asked to choke out another script one day, and him doing it as a chore just as it has always seemed.