Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:54:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 13 continued: RTD2, Chib nil

Started by Mister Six, February 20, 2022, 06:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Chris Chibnall the worst Doctor Who writer ever?

Yes
11 (13.1%)
Yes
1 (1.2%)
Yes
4 (4.8%)
Absolutely, yes
29 (34.5%)
Well, Pip and Jane Ba--- haha, just kidding, yes
23 (27.4%)
An tSaoi
16 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 84

BritishHobo

It does all feel a bit thrown together. Very jumpy.

daf

The Tied-up hanging Upside-down prisoner sketch #2

Jack Shaftoe

I have to watch this as my daughter is a big Who fan and likes watching it with me. How I wish this hadn't started in the Chibs era.

He can't do dialogue, can he? It's not even interestingly terrible, it's just... flat. I remember a podcast he was on a long time ago (where I'm pretty sure he said he wasn't even bothered about Who anymore, he just wrote episodes because his kids were fans). Anyway, he said something he admired about RTD was 'he doesn't show not tell, he shows AND tells!' Not sure that should be your main takeaway from every thing RTD ever wrote, tbh.

EDIT: ironically, we're now getting a load of telling not showing ('my crew were all kidnapped and they're held for ransom'). I mean, it's only a guideline, but stuff like this, you can see why it's a good rule of thumb.

Kelvin

That shot of the sea devil jumping onto the ship (near the start, I'm a bit behind) might be the naffest effect since Who returned in 2005.

Chairman Yang

tapping out, can't take any more of the dungeon tour

Kelvin

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on April 17, 2022, 07:29:17 PMEDIT: ironically, we're now getting a load of telling not showing ('my crew were all kidnapped and they're held for ransom'). I mean, it's only a guideline, but stuff like this, you can see why it's a good rule of thumb.

He tells even when he's already shown it. Case in point; when the Sea Devil appears on the ship in a cloud of luminous green smoke, The Doctor looks at her screw-driver and says, "That's not natural mist" seconds before the Sea Devil appears. It's such a redundant line.

Jack Shaftoe

It's weird, isn't it? So much of the running time is taken by people saying what they (and we) have just seen, it's such a waste.

BritishHobo

Everything about that emotional discussion at the end was written in the flattest, most expository way. It felt like the show saying "here's how we're resolving this situation" rather than it coming naturally from the characters.

greencalx

BritishHobo

And the trailer!

Spoiler alert
"I haven't heard from the Doctor in four decades."

"It's only three decades for me!"
[close]

And
Spoiler alert
the Master saying "this is the day you die" and then ten seconds later "welcome to the end of your existence".
[close]
Do we need both? In a thirty-second-long trailer?

Jerzy Bondov

Who's that talking to
Spoiler alert
Ace
[close]
are we meant to recognise them?

Edit Never mind I watched it another five times and got it. Don't want Chibnall to write that character

Kelvin

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on April 17, 2022, 07:56:06 PMIt's weird, isn't it? So much of the running time is taken by people saying what they (and we) have just seen, it's such a waste.

I keep thinking of the editors and how painful their job must be, trying work out which terrible, redundant lines to cut and which to keep.

Deanjam

Sounds like another corker missed. Haven't really watched much Who since the moon was an egg, but will probably give it another go when RTD is back. Which is incredible, since I didn't really care for his often shallow take on the show, but at least it had energy and excitement. And hopefully being older he'll have slightly more to say than "phwooar, I fancy Doctor Who".

Jack Shaftoe

Was it just me being biased against Chibs or was that the most any actors have visibly struggled with such shit scripts? They're absolute bloody troopers, darling and they've been given nothing. Apart from John Bishop, who, without wishing to sound bitchy, I think doesn't know any better.

Kelvin

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Pirates! Sea Devils! Sword fights! A massive fuck off sea monster! Well that all sounds exciting. But it's Chibnall, so it wasn't.

I know this goes without saying, but he really is such a terminally bland and boring writer. An incompetent hack.

frajer

Yeah. Went into this with low expectations and it still floored me how boring and badly thought out the entire show feels.

Thought it might at least be fun without substance, but of course it was neither. Classic Chibnall.

Alberon

That was thrown-together even by Chibnall's standards. So much went on the CGI there was little left for the stuff on the ships.

The fight scenes were bad and is no one bothered
Spoiler alert
Dan slaughtered all those Sea Devils after the Doctor got stroppy over the main villain getting killed?
[close]

As for the trailer.
Spoiler alert
Just one more episode to go and he threatens screwing up Tegan and Ace. I will not be responsible for my actions if he fucks this up.
[close]

Catalogue Trousers

Never mind. Only one more episode and you can gather all your toys back into the pram.

The Roofdog

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 17, 2022, 07:59:42 PMEverything about that emotional discussion at the end was written in the flattest, most expository way. It felt like the show saying "here's how we're resolving this situation" rather than it coming naturally from the characters.

That was it. That was the emotional crescendo of Chibnall's entire run. Unbelievable.

M-CORP

Don't really have much else to add. Except this.

Spoiler alert
PEOPLE BEING THROWN OVERBOARD

Character: They're being thrown overboard.
[close]

I love the sensitive nuance of Chibnall's writing.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Alberon on April 17, 2022, 08:43:30 PMAs for the trailer.
Spoiler alert
Just one more episode to go and he threatens screwing up Tegan and Ace. I will not be responsible for my actions if he fucks this up.
[close]

Spoiler alert
I don't know how, but he will almost certainly fuck it up. You can absolutely guarantee that he'll attempt to write something poignant along the lines of Sarah Jane's scenes with the Doctor in School Reunion. But he's incapable of writing anything with even the vaguest layer of emotional substance.
[close]

Alberon

And there's a rerun
Spoiler alert
of the finale where the Doctor is about to sacrifice herself only for a minor character to run up and kill themselves instead.
[close]

Nice to see that again!

M-CORP

Spoiler alert
Also, I feel very sorry for anyone trying to avoid spoilers, given the revelations at the end have made the BBC News website.
[close]

Malcy

Episode was ok. Good to have some Sea Devils at last but fuck me that trailer!

Alberon

Read a couple of reviews online and there is mention of several holes in the episode.
Spoiler alert
One example is the, brief, capture of the Sea Devil in the net during the village attack where there was absolutely no setup for it. Another is how they arrive saying they've been pulled years off course, but are dressed for the time period. Finally how Yaz and the Doctor seem to escape from the Sea Devil's ship without any indication of how they managed it.
[close]

Forget not being able to write Doctor Who, Chibnall can't write television full stop.

thr0b

Well, sod you all. I enjoyed it. It was fun and I am sure my daughter will love it.

It had lots of faults, but was still entertaining. Which is about the best I can hope for a Chinballs episode.

Ask me about it in a week's time, and like most of his episodes, I doubt I'll be able to say much. But in his era, simple entertainment is at least better than dreadful revisionism.

BritishHobo

This BBC News article states that the next Doctor 'is expected to be revealed in the coming weeks.'

thr0b

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 17, 2022, 09:50:13 PMThis BBC News article states that the next Doctor 'is expected to be revealed in the coming weeks.'

Aye. I noticed that; given the special is in Autumn, but the "coming weeks" line definitely suggests the person has been cast, and will be revealed before the broadcast. Which in some ways is a shame - they've kept Tegan and Ace secret since last autumn. They really could already have cast and filmed the regeneration scenes with the new Doctor without us knowing.