Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:55:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Just six months, then, thank god.

Wonder if RTD could whip up a cheap Flash-animated short for Christmas? Seems a shame to not have anything during that period.

C_Larence

He could get the guy who did The Nan Movie animations and have it ready by Saturday

I'm pretty sure there will be something at Christmas, I mean it wouldn't surprise me if RTD is putting everything into getting a feature length done for Christmas and having a new series start in Autumn/Winter 2023 around the anniversary. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Alberon

There might be a ten minute something, like the Paul McGann thing around the 50th.

Don't think RTD will let it pass without anything.

The Roofdog

Oh yeah, that hadn't occurred to me, the first Christmas without a Doctor Who episode since 2004. Thanks Chibs. Thibs.

Mister Six

Quote from: The Roofdog on April 21, 2022, 11:58:16 PMOh yeah, that hadn't occurred to me, the first Christmas without a Doctor Who episode since 2004. Thanks Chibs. Thibs.

Well, technically the fourth, because he switched to NYE specials. Thanks Chibs. Thibs.

mjwilson

Quote from: canted_angle_again on April 21, 2022, 09:04:06 PMI'm pretty sure there will be something at Christmas, I mean it wouldn't surprise me if RTD is putting everything into getting a feature length done for Christmas and having a new series start in Autumn/Winter 2023 around the anniversary. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

It almost certainly is.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Mister Six on April 22, 2022, 02:23:26 AMWell, technically the fourth, because he switched to NYE specials. Thanks Chibs. Thibs.

Thunt

pigamus

I call him Chinballs so

Thalls

olliebean

Wasn't sure where to put this, but it's to do with the RTD-1 era, so... What the hell is this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09FGV4XW6

It appears to be a straightforward, beat-for-beat and line-for-line rip-off of series 1 of RTD's Doctor Who, but with the Doctor replaced by the Eschaton throughout. Being sold for £7.29 on Amazon. There's also a book 2, which looks to be the same, but for series 2.

Should I report this to the BBC?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Replies From View

Especially weird since it uses "Doctor Who" on the cover of the book, so clearly isn't seeking to be unrelated.

- knock knock

- who's there

- eschaton

- ESCHATON WHO

- *points at a bloke down the road who is covered head to toe in raw sewage*

The TARDIS is on the cover too. What's going on?!

Attila

The BBC wouldn't take kindly to that at all -- I published an academic book on Doctor Who, and we (not a royal we; I had a co-editor) couldn't even get permission from the BBC for short quotes from episodes.

Alberon

You can read the first few pages and it's a total rip of the dialogue and the rest is just low grade fan fiction.

But yeah report it. Putting this up for free on a fan site is one thing, trying to make money off of it is another.

JamesTC

Eschaton sounds like something Hartnell would refer to Ian as.

BritishHobo

I thought at first that it was going to be an alternative retelling. WHAT IF... the Ninth Doctor was a woman? And so on. But it seems like the answer to the WHAT IF is 'everything happens exactly as it does in the show'.

Alberon

Meanwhile David Tennant deliberately refuses to confirm or deny anything.

QuoteDuring a recent appearance at German Comic-Con, Tennant was asked about the speculation, to which he replied: "I've been asked a version of this question for the last 20 years and I've learnt through bitter experience that there's not any point even answering it, because whatever I say is spun by whoever wants to hear it.

"There's no point in me denying it, there's no point in me confirming it, there's no point in me fudging it," he continued (via RadioTimes). "Whatever I say will become whatever the internet wants it to be."

The Good Omens star went on to say that "it would be quite a weird idea" for a former Doctor to make a comeback – something that hasn't been done before in Doctor Who's 59-year history.

"It's not something that you'd necessarily expect from Doctor Who," Tennant concluded. "That's all I can... I'm not going to try giving any more than that because what's the point?"

Replies From View

Hmm.

That last sentence in particular has the formation of a person concealing something.  About something entirely false would you start (and then stop yourself) saying, "That's all I can say"?  So I'd say if he's not involved in some manner, he's deliberately trolling because it gets people talking about the show, and why not.

We'll see.

Either way, I was amused by the disgruntled tone of those quotes. He presumably delivered them in a jocular way, but written down they're reminiscent of that SNL sketch in which Shatner finally snaps and tells Star Trek fans to get a life.

Rev+

It does smack a little of that moment on the Kermode and Mayo radio show when they were needling Cillian Murphy about whether or not he was in the third Nolan Batman film, and he was eventually forced to say he couldn't confirm or deny it because he'd 'signed a thing'.  Meaning that he definitely was, because he'd not have been compelled to do so otherwise.

Definite appearance, but definitely not as a new incarnation, is the feeling I get from that.

Malcy

Rumblings of announcement this weekend. Pinch of salt and all that.

Replies From View

Quote from: Rev+ on April 26, 2022, 09:04:55 PMDefinite appearance, but definitely not as a new incarnation, is the feeling I get from that.

It's surely nailed-on that both Tennant and Smith will say yes to an appearance in the 60th anniversary if asked, right?  So whether they appear will only be down to whether that's the kind of story RTD wants to tell in November 2023.

It's funny how Tennant and Smith have become the Troughton and Pertwee of 21st century anniversary stories (at least in terms of potential, since they undoubtedly will return if asked), with Eccleston and Capaldi slipping into the Hartnell and Tom Baker roles respectively.  If The Day of the Doctor can be compared with The Three Doctors, we only had Tennant and Smith returning, with a write-around to fill the Eccleston spot.  And if RTD were to go the Five Doctors route for the 60th (unlikely, but no matter), the participating former Doctors would be Tennant, Smith and Whittaker, this era's Davison.  Just like The Five Doctors, we would really only have the two active ones from The Three Doctors, plus the newest incarnation.

Just funny, that's all.  And it means we can expect to look out for the 14th Doctor having their own runaround with Tennant in 2025, to mirror The Two Doctors.

Malcy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 26, 2022, 09:22:27 PMCalling it now: Biggins.

Already played the Doctor for Big Finish in The One Doctor that was loosely adapted for telly as The Next Doctor.

Just made me think of a story my cousin told me about when she worked for Sky or something and he called up asking for someone to change the batteries in his remote...

Replies From View

This is a weird thought:  David Tennant is now only four years younger than Capaldi was when he filmed series 8 in 2014.

Weird because, when Capaldi was announced as the Doctor in 2013, he was amused by the interviewer saying that he was the oldest Doctor to play the part since Hartnell.  Which of course he was.

But now Tennant is catching up!

AARGH GOD WE ARE ALL AGING

olliebean

Quote from: Alberon on April 26, 2022, 06:54:10 PMYou can read the first few pages and it's a total rip of the dialogue and the rest is just low grade fan fiction.

But yeah report it. Putting this up for free on a fan site is one thing, trying to make money off of it is another.

Can't find any info on the BBC website on how to contact them about stuff like this, and I can't really be arsed to go out of my way to let them know. They seem to go to so much effort finding YouTube reviews with fair use clips and trying to get them demonetised, if they don't bother searching for rip-offs like this on Amazon I reckon it's their lookout.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on April 26, 2022, 10:41:32 PMCan't find any info on the BBC website on how to contact them about stuff like this, and I can't really be arsed to go out of my way to let them know. They seem to go to so much effort finding YouTube reviews with fair use clips and trying to get them demonetised, if they don't bother searching for rip-offs like this on Amazon I reckon it's their lookout.

Have you no spite, man?

Attila

You can contact them with comments/links to the books, if you want to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/comments

It looks like someone took some fan fiction and fed it through a thesaurus.

QuoteShe never took her A levels. She had to drop out of school to support her boyfriend.

She was just an ordinary shop girl in 2005. She was nothing special.

One trip in the basement of Henrik's changed that forever.

Rose Tyler was nearly killed by mannequins when a mysterious woman known only as the Apocalypse saves her life, then runs off like nothing happened.

But Rose met her again, and after saving the world, she is offered a chance to travel through time and space. She accepts.

But if Rose thought her past wasn't one to be proud of, she never expected the Apocalypse's story as the mystery of Bad Wolf follows them.

After all, the Apocalypse didn't choose her title for nothing.

First in the Apocalypse Rising series.

QuoteShe never got straight As. She had to drop out of school to support her beau. There was nothing special about her. She was just a regular shop girl in 2005. But everything has changed forever since her one trip to the basement of Henrik's. Rose Tyler was closely killed by mannequins when an enigmatic woman, known only as the Eschaton, saves her life, then escapes like nothing happened.
But Rose met her again, and after saving the world, she is offered a chance to travel through time and space, a rare opportunity which she takes. But if Rose thought her past wasn't one to be proud of, she never expected the Eschaton's story as the mystery of Bad Wolf follows them. After all, the Eschaton didn't choose her title for nothing.
First installment in the Eschaton Ascending series.