Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:16:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Quote from: waste of chops on April 27, 2022, 11:47:50 AMIt looks like someone took some fan fiction and fed it through a thesaurus.

The text of that fan fiction seems to be word-for-word identical to the novel (apart from "Apocalypse" being replaced by "Eschaton"). So it's not even been fed through a thesaurus. I presume it's the same author, unless someone is ripping off fan fiction that is already a rip off of the show.

Six books so far in that fanfic series, ffs, with a seventh to come (and presumably more beyond).

Mister Six

Quote from: olliebean on April 27, 2022, 06:05:07 PMThe text of that fan fiction seems to be word-for-word identical to the novel (apart from "Apocalypse" being replaced by "Eschaton"). So it's not even been fed through a thesaurus.

There are a few differences, including Rose going from "nearly being killed" to "closely being killed".

I wasn't that arsed before, but I reckon profiting off someone's fanfiction is really low. Might see if I can figure out how to report it later.

pigamus

I've a feeling that sorting out the refunds wouldn't take very long

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Malcy on April 26, 2022, 09:47:27 PMAlready played the Doctor for Big Finish in The One Doctor that was loosely adapted for telly as The Next Doctor.

Ah right, I did not know that.

daf

Think it's on spotify - it's a very funny one!

Alberon

I only started listening to that one the other day. I did applaud the sound effect of Biggins' TARDIS.

daf

olliebean

Quote from: Mister Six on April 27, 2022, 06:32:09 PMThere are a few differences, including Rose going from "nearly being killed" to "closely being killed".

That's just the synopsis, though. The text of the actual novel seems word-for-word identical (apart from Apocalypse/Eschalon and the odd spelling/grammar correction), at least from as much of it as I could be arsed to skim-read (first couple of chapters).

Mister Six

Ah, right. Good on you for bothering to read the thing.

Mister Six

Quote from: olliebean on April 26, 2022, 05:22:36 PMWasn't sure where to put this, but it's to do with the RTD-1 era, so... What the hell is this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09FGV4XW6

It appears to be a straightforward, beat-for-beat and line-for-line rip-off of series 1 of RTD's Doctor Who, but with the Doctor replaced by the Eschaton throughout. Being sold for £7.29 on Amazon. There's also a book 2, which looks to be the same, but for series 2.

Should I report this to the BBC?

I just dobbed 'em in to the Beeb. If they were trying to flog their own shite fanfic I wouldn't be arsed, but selling someone else's rewriting of RTD's who is going too far.

Replies From View

Plus it's quite comforting to take one of life's cunts and make them feel miserable for a bit.  Power to the people, and all that.

McDead

Christopher Eschaton.

Please don't be angry at me, I am doing my best

Malcy

Martha only stayed for one series because Eschaton her.

Replies From View

Excuse me, but my take on the "Doctor Who?" knock knock joke was astonishingly brilliant, yet nobody liked it so you need to be punished by reading it again.

Quote from: Replies From View on April 26, 2022, 05:52:30 PM- knock knock

- who's there

- eschaton

- ESCHATON WHO

- *points at a bloke down the road who is covered head to toe in raw sewage*

pigamus

Is that joke predicated on the fact you can't pronounce eschaton

JamesTC

- knock knock

- who's there

- eschaton

- ESCHATON WHO

- bless you

McDead

Hard CH innit, mate.

But really, that is very cheeky stuff indeed, as well as sort of maddeningly entitled and lazy; rather than making up their own thing from whole cloth (and risking the possibility of no one being interested), they've just nicked "Rose" and changed some of the words/inserted their own poorly conceived character. And left the words Doctor Who on the cover! Rotten, hope they get sued blue.

Psybro

Doctor Who and the Eschatons, an audio play by Victor Eschaton.

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on April 28, 2022, 10:54:54 PMIs that joke predicated on the fact you can't pronounce eschaton

I will make you read it again if you don't shut your absolute mouth

pigamus

I've written a letter to the Radio Times saying "The reason I'm writin'/Is how to say eschaton", just to annoy Barry Letts

It's just plain weird that no one has mentioned The Shamen yet. What is wrong with you people?

FFS, look at the video. It's set in space, just like Doctor Who is. This Eschaton character is clearly taking the piss. #Legend

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 29, 2022, 12:24:42 AMIt's just plain weird that no one has mentioned The Shamen yet. What is wrong with you people?

SHAME ON THEM, AM I RIGHT READERS

Mister Six

Quote from: JamesTC on April 28, 2022, 11:00:18 PM- knock knock

- who's there

- eschaton

- ESCHATON WHO

- bless you

Genuinely laughed at this.

Bad Ambassador

I suddenly felt very cold, inside.

A cruel, cruel joke, that.

JamesTC

You just know Whittaker would regenerate into Corden and the first thing he'd do is feel his chest and say "well I've still got tits so I'm still a girl" and then do a grin to camera.

Mister Six

Has anyone done a Christopher Eschaton joke yet?

If not:

Christopher Eschaton.

Mister Six

Quote from: JamesTC on April 29, 2022, 02:19:36 PMYou just know Whittaker would regenerate into Corden and the first thing he'd do is feel his chest and say "well I've still got tits so I'm still a girl" and then do a grin to camera.

As much as I loathe James Corden as a TV "character", he is a very good actor and I liked him as Craig in those two Matt Smith episodes.

I still don't want him to be The Doctor, but if it happened it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I imagine RTD will either go with someone younger and more conventionally attractive, or someone more famous/surprising, though. I also can't imagine Corden ditching a US talk show gig to play Doctor Who on British telly for three years. I imagine he's got a cushy game show or something lined up instead.