Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,327
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:31:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Benjamin Cook just tweeted this lovely pic from today's TV BAFTA shindig.

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: Replies From View on May 08, 2022, 02:20:11 PMAnyone got any representative examples of this guy's acting chops to peruse, for those of us with our fingers off the pulse of current television or the Google button?
I think he's amazing, he was my favourite actor in Sex Education. Here's a range of clips, some spoilers within of course.

Funny:

Emotional:

Angry:

Ja'moke

Ncuti Gatwa is really good in Sex Education. Can definitely do comedy and more serious stuff (the episode where he gets abandoned at the bus stop perhaps his finest work). Looking forward to this.

gotmilk

I trust RTD's instincts, but I have to say that Gatwa was very annoying and unfunny in Sex Education. He certainly didn't exude any authority, but I suppose the part never called for it. I assume there's another side to him we've yet to see.

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: gotmilk on May 08, 2022, 03:30:51 PMI trust RTD's instincts, but I have to say that Gatwa was very annoying and unfunny in Sex Education. He certainly didn't exude any authority, but I suppose the part never called for it. I assume there's another side to him we've yet to see.
Try that 3rd clip I posted above, if you haven't already seen it - shows a very different side to the flamboyance that the character usually displayed.

I see he's nominated for the 'Male performance in a comedy programme' BAFTA, and that RTD is also due to attend (because 'It's a Sin' is likely to win everything), so it might be worth tuning in at 6pm.

Mister Six

Quote from: purlieu on May 08, 2022, 01:03:07 PMCrikey, a quiet announcement on a Sunday morning. RTD's definitely going for a different approach isn't he?

I'm guessing there was a threat of a leak and the Beeb had to scramble to release it. I'd have expected more bombast from RTD.

Never got around to watching Sex Education, but I reckon I'll have to now. The response seems to be positive from those who've seen the show, so that's a good sign.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 08, 2022, 02:48:25 PM

Sisqo biopic?

Consignia

Not seen any of this fellow's work, but all of his promo shots are giving real doctor energy off. Actually looking forward to seeing where this might go, which compared to Chibnall era where I basically forgot it existed.

Malcy

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on May 08, 2022, 03:50:34 PMI see he's nominated for the 'Male performance in a comedy programme' BAFTA, and that RTD is also due to attend (because 'It's a Sin' is likely to win everything), so it might be worth tuning in at 6pm.

Would have been quite the reveal if he won and signed off by announcing his casting!

Kelvin

Had hoped they'd go with a big name to draw in audiences that have drifted away, make it feel more like a big relaunch after the show's pop culture decline. I trust RTD of course, and don't doubt this guy will be great. I just don't know if it really says "We're back!" like a bigger household name might.

Alberon

The first episode is the 60th special, so there's still a good chance of other big names.

Tennant might not be a special guest star Doctor between the 13th and 14th, but he might be back as the 10th. On the other hand do you want to start a new Doctor's run with an old one hanging around?

Malcy

RTD has stated he was the last actor to audition and someone else pretty much had the part until he came in.

Quote from: Kelvin on May 08, 2022, 04:26:30 PMHad hoped they'd go with a big name to draw in audiences that have drifted away, make it feel more like a big relaunch after the show's pop culture decline. I trust RTD of course, and don't doubt this guy will be great. I just don't know if it really says "We're back!" like a bigger household name might.

I think RTD has probably considered that he could pull in a lot of fans from Sex Education who otherwise would just watch the mostly shit content that it spews out constantly.

Deanjam

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 08, 2022, 02:48:25 PM

As a gentleman of 5'7" proportions, I approve the casting of a shortarse.

But seriously, I've never seen Bad Education, or any other of his roles, but I'm okay with the casting of someone unknown to me. Matt Smith was just that and I loved him from the start. Hopefully with some improved writing, the show will be once again a highlight of the week.

Mister Six

It's quite funny (and sad) how many people are heralding the arrival of "the first black Doctor", having already forgotten about Chibnall's Ruth Doctor. Poor Jo Martin.

Quote from: Deanjam on May 08, 2022, 05:24:43 PMAs a gentleman of 5'7" proportions, I approve the casting of a shortarse.

RTD is about 20 feet tall, so I don't think this photo is indicative of much.

Deanjam

Quote from: Mister Six on May 08, 2022, 05:30:16 PMRTD is about 20 feet tall, so I don't think this photo is indicative of much.

Don't shatter my illusions!

BritishHobo

Quote from: Mister Six on May 08, 2022, 04:06:57 PMI'm guessing there was a threat of a leak and the Beeb had to scramble to release it. I'd have expected more bombast from RTD.

Yeah it has to be this, right? Which is a bummer as I'm sure there's a bit in The Writer's Tale where RTD is really unhappy after a big announcement (I have it in my head that it's Tennant leaving, but it may be something else) gets pre-empted because the BBC are forced to confirm it ahead of time. It's a shame if his new era has started with the same thing.

Thomas

Exciting, a new era looms - still can't quite believe RTD will be running things again. Not heard of Ncuti before but I will dutifully watch a series of Sex Education (it's been on the ever-expanding watchlist anyway).

Quote from: Mister Six on May 08, 2022, 05:30:16 PMIt's quite funny (and sad) how many people are heralding the arrival of "the first black Doctor", having already forgotten about Chibnall's Ruth Doctor. Poor Jo Martin.

Moffat originally intended the Doctor Moon of Silence in the Library to be a secret future Doctor (the 45th, in fact, having put himself into the Library world to keep dead River company).

RTD has said that whenever he watches that episode, he considers it to be true.

Quote from: Deanjam on May 08, 2022, 05:36:35 PMDon't shatter my illusions!

Apparently, according to Google, Gatwa is 5 foot 8 or 9. So he's not that much taller than you. And as Mister Six says, RTD is an absolute giant of a man.

Replies From View

Ncuti Gatwa was born in 1992, which means that when Matt Smith became the Doctor in 2010, Ncuti Gatwa was the actual youngest actor to take on the part after all.

which makes you think

BritishHobo

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 08, 2022, 05:39:01 PMYeah it has to be this, right? Which is a bummer as I'm sure there's a bit in The Writer's Tale where RTD is really unhappy after a big announcement (I have it in my head that it's Tennant leaving, but it may be something else) gets pre-empted because the BBC are forced to confirm it ahead of time. It's a shame if his new era has started with the same thing.

Found it, from when The Sun reported that RTD's Who would be finishing in 2008:

Quote from: RTDThe BBC is powerless with the press. No one can control the papers, they'll print what they want, and we need them, so threatening to withhold or punish simply doesn't work. We'll just go crawling back, cap in hand. But the central problem is that the BBC is a public service broadcaster, funded by the public, so we are Not Allowed To Lie - and we end up craven and apologetic. That's why the leak about Christopher Eccleston leaving could not be plugged. Once asked by The Mirror, Jane Tranter could not deny it. Even though it ruined the surprise cliffhanger to Series One. How incredible would it have been to keep the Ninth Doctor's regeneration a surprise? But we had to be scrupulously honest.  It's all still the consequences of the Hutton Inquiry. But Doctor Who is hardly Hutton! This is fiction! I don't give a damn! I'll lie all I like if it safeguards the stories that we're telling. They can't stop me. But there's little point while Peter Fincham has to tell the truth. Madness.

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on May 08, 2022, 04:26:30 PMHad hoped they'd go with a big name to draw in audiences that have drifted away, make it feel more like a big relaunch after the show's pop culture decline. I trust RTD of course, and don't doubt this guy will be great. I just don't know if it really says "We're back!" like a bigger household name might.

I don't think having a big name says "we're back!" so much as "this big name that you already know is great - well they're great!!"

Casting a lesser known actor right now does the right thing, in my view - it focuses attention on the show rather than the aura of an already known actor.  Which isn't to say it's not a great idea to cast someone like Chris Eccleston or Peter Capaldi when the time is right - I just think this particular "refresh" isn't the right time.

This all said, I might change my mind in a few days.  Just thinking out loud really.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Malcy on May 08, 2022, 04:37:00 PMRTD has stated he was the last actor to audition and someone else pretty much had the part until he came in.

Yeah, I came here to wonder out loud how many years it'll be before we find out who that was.

Quote from: Malcy on May 08, 2022, 04:37:00 PMI think RTD has probably considered that he could pull in a lot of fans from Sex Education who otherwise would just watch the mostly shit content that it spews out constantly.

Yup, I've never heard of the bloke before, but according to the Beeb article that the above quote came from:

QuoteNcuti Gatwa is a very shrewd choice for the role. He's incredibly popular with viewers in their late teens and 20s, thanks to Sex Education on Netflix. He has more than 2.5 million Instagram followers, and that's likely to shoot up even further after today's announcement.

Doctor Who, like so many programmes, is eager to win back some of those younger viewers, so the sheer interest from someone like him being involved is going to help with that.

And yeah, agree it was probably a leak they got bounced into announcing.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 08, 2022, 06:03:24 PMYeah, I came here to wonder out loud how many years it'll be before we find out who that was.

They might yet end up as the 15th Doctor, if they haven't already been flung into the stratosphere before then.

BritishHobo

Interesting to read in The Writer's Tale RTD's thoughts on why the show needed a new production team in 2009:

Quote from: RTDThe show, by 2009, will simply need a rest. We need to starve people a bit. We're producing 14 movie-sized episodes a year, which are then repeated ad infinitum, and ratings are bound to decline, even just a little.
Doctor Who is a phenomenon right now, but nothing stays a phenomenon. Not without careful management. People need to be begging for new Doctor Who,
instead of just expecting it. That's fine for kids, too. They can wait a few years between Harry Potter books and Star Wars films. If anything, the wait increases the legend.

But Doctor Who can run and run. Definitely.  If it's managed this carefully. One day, of course, something will go wrong by accident, and people will look elsewhere, and some mean BBC controller will take it off air...but only for it to come back blazing a few years later. That, now, is the definition of Doctor Who. It's the show that comes back.  To the extent that we're building this Glorious Return into the 2010 schedules ourselves. It's not quite like any other show - which has always been Doctor Who's outstanding feature, don't you think?

Funny to note he namechecks two franchises which have also suffered from careless management.

Replies From View

Ta for sharing those RTD quotes, British Hobo, very interesting. When he wrote, "One day, of course, something will go wrong by accident", he obviously had no idea that the actual fucking showrunner would be the person responsible for almost killing Doctor Who.

I know we've said this before, but RTD must be utterly dismayed by Chibnall's negative impact on The Show. He's a diplomatic pro, a nice man, so he'd never actually say that publicly, but you can absolutely guarantee that he's been following its decline with a very heavy heart.

I tend to lean completely the opposite, it would've been very easy to stunt-cast a big name for the relaunched show but I think that could've been the wrong way to go. With a newish, relatively unknown actor there's less baggage and preconceptions about how they might play the part, and plus two of the "unknowns" who've taken the role since 2005 have arguably ended up the most popular Doctors so I can see the logic in going that way again.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 08, 2022, 06:46:45 PMTa for sharing those RTD quotes, British Hobo, very interesting. When he wrote, "One day, of course, something will go wrong by accident", he obviously had no idea that the actual fucking showrunner would be the person responsible for almost killing Doctor Who.

I know we've said this before, but RTD must be utterly dismayed by Chibnall's negative impact on The Show. He's a diplomatic pro, a nice man, so he'd never actually say that publicly, but you can absolutely guarantee that he's been following its decline with a very heavy heart.

What do you suppose he'd be most aggrieved by?

RTD allowed Chibnall to showrun Torchwood series 1 and 2.  So he must believe that he has some talent.  So what was the cut-off, I wonder.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 08, 2022, 06:46:45 PMTa for sharing those RTD quotes, British Hobo, very interesting. When he wrote, "One day, of course, something will go wrong by accident", he obviously had no idea that the actual fucking showrunner would be the person responsible for almost killing Doctor Who.

Definitely. It'd be interesting to know his honest thoughts on taking the reins again. It doesn't feel like something he would have chosen to do if he didn't feel the show desperately needed a kickstart.

Replies From View

It's a bigger overhaul than simply returning as showrunner, of course, with his own production company stepping in to secure the show's ongoing future.  So it feels like something that was inevitable at a certain point.