Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:10:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on May 08, 2022, 02:56:21 PMAngry:

Careful use of camera angles as he shouts in order to convey height/authority.  That's one way around it, I suppose.

Deanjam

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on May 08, 2022, 02:56:21 PMI think he's amazing, he was my favourite actor in Sex Education. Here's a range of clips, some spoilers within of course.

Funny:

Emotional:

Angry:

Thanks for that. A good selection there. I insist that he uses "Wash your hands, you dirty pig!" as his catchphrase for Who.

Malcy

I'm glad I can't remember him from the two things I've seen him in. Was that way with Smith. Every Doctor reveal for me has been a big thing for me but for this I just went "eh".

No expectations going in which I like. Eccleston announcement I bounced around like a lunatic, think I probably injured myself when Piper was announced as companion.

Tennant was an odd one. Was fine with it but utterly disappointed that Eccleston was leaving.

Smith, "who the fuck is this? No no no"! Instantly impressed.

Capaldi, hammered beyond belief and shouted yeeeeeeessssss then noooooooo for not putting a bet on at the local bookies where I was living in Ireland at the time who had him at 50/1 that morning not really knowing what I was on about.

Jodie was a bit of a "well it was inevitable" had more of an issue with the justification of why that China etc were throwing around.

I just have nothing on this. It's not fatigue from Chibnall era or anything. It's just that since Moffat took over my general interest has dropped steadily. Who and Trek my favourite things and both are just so disappointing and unnecessarily so that I just struggle to care anymore and will take whatever's thrown out. Does that make sense?

M-CORP

I have a feeling the reason for an understated announcement isn't actually to do with a possibility of a leak. I suspect the plan was to announce Ncuti Gatwa during tonight's BAFTAs (some insider tweeted about it when the teaser first landed, as quoted below):

https://twitter.com/tvukzone/status/1523260048192942082
QuoteAll eyes on the #BAFTATV Awards later...

... basically a repeat of David Tennant announcing his departure when accepting an NTA. RTD loves the publicity of such a move. But for that to work, Gatwa would have had to win the award he was nominated for. It's likely they asked the BAFTAs about it, found out he wasn't going to win, and changed their plans.

But yeah, I like the understated nature of it, and while I know nothing about Ghatwa as Sex Education didn't seem like my thing, I like this choice, as it says a lot about where RTD wants to take the show. It's an actor who nobody predicted, who isn't exactly a household name but has won acclaim for starring in a big and successful Netflix drama. And he doesn't come across as 'Doctorish' in the conventional cliched way.

Exactly the right approach - RTD and co are looking to take on large-scale dramas from the streaming competitors, and are not relying on nostalgic conceptions of what the show or its main role is. Which is all I hoped for.
Nothing to judge yet, and again I don't know any of Gatwa's work (Whittaker all over again, God I know nothing about popular TV), but I am happy and interested to see where this goes.

M-CORP

Also just noticed this thread from Graham Kibble-White that may be of interest: https://twitter.com/grahamkw/status/1523269689220116480

QuoteHmm.. he hasn't actually been confirmed as the *14th* Doctor.

They say he's going to be playing the Doctor... but not the 14th Doctor...

What I'm trying to say is, I think there's going to be another Doctor in between him and Jodie Whittaker.

Certainly, the main statement from Doctor Who's website at no point mentions the number 14. The BBC News article does, but... well.

Alberon

It's possible and it would cause a large storm of PR if Whittaker unexpectedly regenerated into, say, Tennant.

BritishHobo

I was convinced Hugh Grant would be a stunt Doctor before the proper next Doctor - could still happen?

JamesTC

Could be that they just aren't confirming that he comes after Whittaker on screen. Leave a gap like when it came back in 2005 where there possibly could be other incarnations.

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 08, 2022, 11:38:49 PMI was convinced Hugh Grant would be a stunt Doctor before the proper next Doctor - could still happen?

Would an intermediary Wanking Doctor be too much to ask for at this late hour?  Please RTD be reading this

Rev+

Quote from: M-CORP on May 08, 2022, 09:23:21 PMCertainly, the main statement from Doctor Who's website at no point mentions the number 14. The BBC News article does, but... well.

Come on, there's absolutely no significance to that.  If I were writing that article I'd keep it clean and simple too, given the recent fuckery.  You generally want to avoid things like 'Grand Theft Auto V, the eleventh game in the popular series'.

Deanjam

We'd have to call him 'maybe #16 of unknown amount'.

Replies From View

If you want to refresh the show and help people forget how many box sets they haven't seen, you leave out exactly that kind of detail.

It's May 2022, and the 60th Anniversary isn't until November 2023.  This far ahead of the 50th, Moffat was still worrying he might have an anniversary episode with only Clara in it.  The David Tennant speculations were happening before the 14th Doctor was cast, and if they have their origins anywhere close to RTD himself, I'd hope it's only because he was throwing around loads of mad ideas at that time.  Hardly anything will be set in stone this early.

Norton Canes

Typical, I go away for a day and they announce the new Doctor Who. Had the news on in the car and no mention of it. Returned home to be asked by daughter "What do you think of the new Doctor Who?!" Of course I sanctimoniously replied "Whatever rumours you may have heard they're not actualy going to make an official announcement until the 14th..."

I think it's a great choice. Of all the names that were touted around the one I wanted most was Omari Douglas, so this is very much in the same ballpark. Haven't seen him in anything other than watching a few clips yesterday but I have huge expectations because RTD auditioned him and said he was fantastic, what better guarantee of quality could one want?

Excited. Doctor Who now officially back on the rails.

JamesTC

Quote from: Rev+ on May 09, 2022, 01:33:16 AMCome on, there's absolutely no significance to that.  If I were writing that article I'd keep it clean and simple too, given the recent fuckery.  You generally want to avoid things like 'Grand Theft Auto V, the eleventh game in the popular series'.

I went back through the news on the Who website and they very prominently specified Capaldi and Whittaker as the Twelfth and Thirteenth. It very much seems by design not to describe him as the Fourteenth.

Norton Canes

Ncuti Gatwa: BBC names actor as next Doctor Who star

QuoteActor Ncuti Gatwa will take over from Jodie Whittaker as the star of Doctor Who, the BBC has announced.

The 29-year-old will become the 14th Time Lord on the popular science fiction show, and the first person of colour to play the lead role

Norton Canes

Good to see Rwanda giving us something back, anyway.

pigamus

Except Peter Davison's dad was from Guyana so I think he qualifies really

Norton Canes

I was just about to say that. No I was, honest.

I see his Wiki page is describing him as "the first black actor to play a primary incarnation of the character". Quite like the phrarse 'primary incarnation', it's a bit ponderous but it's as succinct a way as any of referring to the fourteen proper actual Doctors.

Thomas

When I read that he had starred in Sex Education, which I erroneously believed was a US series, I panicked - surely not... American?

I went to his Wikipedia and read 'Rwanda' and 'Scotland' and immediately relaxed. Racist? Perhaps. I'll accept any Doctor east of the 19th meridian west. Eric Roberts was enough of a foray into the world of American Time Lords.

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 09, 2022, 09:20:11 AMOf all the names that were touted around the one I wanted most was Omari Douglas, so this is very much in the same ballpark.

Very similar names

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on May 09, 2022, 09:22:20 AMI went back through the news on the Who website and they very prominently specified Capaldi and Whittaker as the Twelfth and Thirteenth. It very much seems by design not to describe him as the Fourteenth.

They didn't immediately commit to Eccleston being "the ninth" either.

What's especially irritating about the Tennant rumour is if it turns out to be true, people clutching at straws get to say "I told you so".  However it pans out, their labelling or not of Gatwa as "the fourteenth" right now will not be a part of it.

Norton Canes

Still cannot believe for one second RTD will dilute the impact of the new Doctor by bringing one back from four regens ago.

JamesTC

Here is what I mean:

Within the body of the articles they all talk about how they are the twelfth/thirteenth Doctor pretty prominently, whereas for Gatwa it is almost pointedly skirted around.

Then again, the past was a different time:

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 09, 2022, 12:24:34 PMStill cannot believe for one second RTD will dilute the impact of the new Doctor by bringing one back from four regens ago.

Same.  Again, think of how far away we were from the 60th when the Tennant rumours started, and how far Moffat was with his draft for the 50th at the same point.

George White

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 09, 2022, 09:20:11 AMI think it's a great choice. Of all the names that were touted around the one I wanted most was Omari Douglas, so this is very much in the same ballpark. Haven't seen him in anything other than watching a few clips yesterday but I have huge expectations because RTD auditioned him and said he was fantastic, what better guarantee of quality could one want?

Yes, it's a bit like when fans wanted Martin Jarvis as the 5th Doctor and got another blond sitcom lead.

JamesTC

I think if it happens, it will be BBC execs forcing him to do it and RTD thinking it could make a fun anniversary story to make the best of it.

Having watched Sex Education, where Gatwa very convincingly plays a secondary student, my initial thought was that he's way too young. But it only took me a moment to realize he's about the same age Matt Smith was when he took the role, and the more I think about it he's absolutely perfect. Between his performance and RTD's writing, the Doctor might actually become fun again.

On a gut level, I trust RTD's ability to read the room, take the temperature, and give the show what it needs more than other showrunners.