Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:13:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on May 11, 2022, 11:12:30 PMYep, and they were all over the RTD-era official website:

Imagine if the next thing was RTD announcing radical new "copper and bronze" Daleks.

McDead

Got to be a lock then that Edgar Wright is directing RTD's first episode, right? It's a masterstroke, if so.

daf

pigamus

"One day, I shall go from gold to gold in sixty seconds or less. Yes, I shall go from gold to gold in sixty seconds or less. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties..."

notjosh

Quote from: McDead on May 11, 2022, 11:32:57 PMGot to be a lock then that Edgar Wright is directing RTD's first episode, right? It's a masterstroke, if so.

Will we also get the long-awaited Peter Jackson episode under Rusty too?

Replies From View

And that coveted Stephen Fry episode which definitely exists and isn't shit

thr0b

For a group of failed comedy writers, you've all missed the obvious project Edgar Wright is alluding to.

https://youtu.be/bP-ot58SEVI

McDead

Quote from: notjosh on May 12, 2022, 08:01:10 AMWill we also get the long-awaited Peter Jackson episode under Rusty too?

If Jackson starts posting coy Instagram pics of pepperpots, then we'll know it's on the cards

Replies From View

I was getting confused just then, because people were talking about a different Jackson's music being used in a Sonic game.  Hey presto I thought some folk here were getting excited about a dead paedoph writing for Doctor Who, and I almost didn't question it because wokeism is so demonised in 2022-3.

olliebean

Quote from: Mister Six on May 11, 2022, 05:57:52 PMFucking 90 minutes of Chibnall! Christ almighty.

I've seen rumours that RTD had a certain amount of input into the Centenary special. I doubt he's written anything, except possibly a post-regen scene, but is it too much to hope Chibs maybe asked for his advice and took on board some of what he said?

JamesTC

Quote from: olliebean on May 12, 2022, 01:21:16 PMI've seen rumours that RTD had a certain amount of input into the Centenary special. I doubt he's written anything, except possibly a post-regen scene, but is it too much to hope Chibs maybe asked for his advice and took on board some of what he said?

Do you remember how well episodes written by Chibnall under RTD and Moffat's showrunning turned out?

olliebean

Quote from: JamesTC on May 12, 2022, 01:26:41 PMDo you remember how well episodes written by Chibnall under RTD and Moffat's showrunning turned out?

Not great, but better than they did when he was in charge, on the whole.

BritishHobo

Rumours that
Spoiler alert
David Tennant
[close]
has been spotted multiple times around Cardiff, and near the Wolf Studios down the Bay.

JamesTC

Quote from: olliebean on May 12, 2022, 01:31:19 PMNot great, but better than they did when he was in charge, on the whole.

Jesus. His era is even worse than I could have imagined.

Alberon

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 12, 2022, 01:34:31 PMRumours that
Spoiler alert
David Tennant
[close]
has been spotted multiple times around Cardiff, and near the Wolf Studios down the Bay.

I can't see the sense of
Spoiler alert
putting another Doctor in a new Doctor's first episode. My personal guess is that RTD wants to do something for Christmas and has got a short with Tennant planned.
[close]

Alberon

Quote from: olliebean on May 12, 2022, 01:21:16 PMI've seen rumours that RTD had a certain amount of input into the Centenary special. I doubt he's written anything, except possibly a post-regen scene, but is it too much to hope Chibs maybe asked for his advice and took on board some of what he said?

Even if true, I suspect it is limited to the post-regen scene (as is tradition) and maybe some requests of where some things are left at the end of Chibnall fucking everything into the ground.

JamesTC

I honestly think people overestimate how much general fans care about continuity and understanding where things are.

Spoiler alert
If Tennant returns as an interim incarnation then the general audience will treat it like when Sean Connery returned to Bond.

Whittaker regenerating into Tennant and him staring into a mirror exclaiming "what?" three times like the old days would be the classic cliffhanger that got everybody talking that RTD excelled at. I fucking loathed Voyage of the Damned but it was a fucking brilliant cliffhanger.
[close]

Replies From View

That would be pandering to fans in their mid or late 20s rather than focusing on new 8 year olds. 

It would be like if RTD brought back McCoy for a quick spin on the wheels in 2005 before letting the series begin properly.

JamesTC

8 year olds don't care. So long as there is an engaging monster, they'll be happy.

Norton Canes

More than anything, having Tennant as an 'interim' Doctor it would be hugely disrespectful to Ncuti Gatwa. "Yeah Ncuti, you're the guy we've been bigging up as the show's future - but sorry, for the big episode we're going to wheel this guy out again". Nah.

Replies From View

If a multi-Doctor story - or at least a dual-Doctor story - is nailed on for the 60th, it was always going to be Tennant returning.  He feels it's an exciting thing for fans, he's on record saying it always felt like a tragedy that Tom Baker never appeared in The Five Doctors, and he'll bother to make himself available if asked.  Smith is the other one you can expect to appear, but he isn't quite so committed.  I can imagine him returning for the 70th.

But yeah I can be perfectly happy with Gatwa being the 14th Doctor and meeting the 10th Doctor in an appropriate adventure, even if it's his first.  What I can't swallow is the need for Tennant to be the 14th and Gatwa to be the 15th.  It just seems stupid to me.

Tennant could of course be returning as someone who isn't the 10th Doctor, as when Piper returned for the 50th.  A malevolent shapeshifter of some kind would be interesting, in the same way as Tom Baker's idea that he could return as the Master.  Anything mischievous like that, just not the flipping 14th Doctor.

Mister Six

I think Smith said around the 50th that he'd be back for a future anniversary, but I can't remember which one and he might have meant the 75th. I can see him being generally enthusiastic but not willing to turn down Hollywood work if the schedules clash. To be honest, the fewer other Doctors and the more Ncuti the better, I think. Let the new lad enjoy the limelight.

Mister Six

Also, if Chibnall gets 90 minutes but Ncuti's first episode is 45-60, I'll be furious.

(Is he an Ncuti or a Gatwa? Guess we'll see when he debuts. Matt has become Smith in my head since he went off-air as The Doctor, apparently.)

McDead

I'd be happy enough if
Spoiler alert
Tennant
[close]
turns out to have been
Spoiler alert
the Watcher all along
[close]

JamesTC

The surname tends to be used. Either way we get two with the same.

pigamus

Quote from: Mister Six on May 12, 2022, 05:50:55 PMAlso, if Chibnall gets 90 minutes but Ncuti's first episode is 45-60, I'll be furious.

(Is he an Ncuti or a Gatwa? Guess we'll see when he debuts. Matt has become Smith in my head since he went off-air as The Doctor, apparently.)

Somebody should make up a Photoshop of him with Lassie, Beethoven and the Littlest Hobo, then put it up on Twitter as "Ncuti dog thing"

McDead

Quote from: JamesTC on May 12, 2022, 05:54:17 PMThe surname tends to be used. Either way we get two with the same.

Ah, of course. Ncuti Gatwa and Sylvester Gatwa.

Replies From View

"Gatwa" will henceforth constantly form in your mind as "Gatiss" as punishment

Mister Six

Quote from: JamesTC on May 12, 2022, 05:54:17 PMThe surname tends to be used. Either way we get two with the same.

Nah, Eccleston is an Eccleston, Tennant is a Tennant and Capaldi is a Capaldi, but Matt is a Matt (or was, but I'm coming around again) and Jodie is a Jodie.

JamesTC

Quote from: McDead on May 12, 2022, 06:24:21 PMAh, of course. Ncuti Gatwa and Sylvester Gatwa.

Speaking of Sylvester Gatwa, he put out a lovely video when Gatwa was announced which Gatwa replied to.

Step-mum asked me what I thought of the casting yesterday, despite her never really being interested in Doctor Who. She said that she thought he'd be really good as she thinks he is great on Sex Education.

Quote from: Mister Six on May 12, 2022, 06:30:07 PMNah, Eccleston is an Eccleston, Tennant is a Tennant and Capaldi is a Capaldi, but Matt is a Matt (or was, but I'm coming around again) and Jodie is a Jodie.

I've seen some people be accused of being sexist when referring to Whittaker as "Jodie". I think that is bollocks but worth bearing in mind if you post on certain places outside of here and don't want the agro.