Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:56:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

Oh no, calling her Whittaker would be a massive red flag

You'd guarantee use of the word 'females' in the same paragraph

purlieu

Who do you prefer, Baker or Baker?

Replies From View

"Coo it says here that you can win a slap up feed at the latest Doctor Who convention with the 14th Doctor as company!"

"Why take her?" (Actually "Whittaker", pronounced unrealistically wrongly)

"Because she is the one listed as the prize.  And she is already going to be there, nobody would be taking her, as such."

daf

Quote from: purlieu on May 12, 2022, 06:42:04 PMWho do you prefer, Baker or Baker?

Baker is better on TV, while Baker? is better on Audio.

Mister Six

Quote from: JamesTC on May 12, 2022, 06:35:08 PMI've seen some people be accused of being sexist when referring to Whittaker as "Jodie". I think that is bollocks but worth bearing in mind if you post on certain places outside of here and don't want the agro.

I've not encountered that, but I'd ignore it if I did. Fuck 'em.

(For the record: Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, Mad Tom, Davison, Colin Baker but would be a straight-up Baker without Tom around, Sylv, McGann.)

Midas

Replies From View

McDead

Replies From View

The Late Satoru Iwata

So he did escape from Traken...

Replies From View

I'm looking forward to the books that will come out of the 60th anniversary - the ones covering the history of the show, its monsters, describing the TARDIS again and its various changes - I love each era's different takes on that information.

Bad Ambassador

I'm surprised there hasn't been a podcast series chronicling the warts-and-all history of the series from the start. With most of the controversial participants now dead, it seems like a golden opportunity.

thr0b

The time to deal with the controversial stuff is when the show is on a high, not when it's in rescue manoeuvres. Probably a year or two before they can risk that stuff again.

Bad Ambassador

I meant stuff in the 1960s and 1970s, rather than anything that could be pinned on people who are still relevant, such as Troughton taking the job to support his various families or Ray Cusick being shafted over the Dalek design.

Replies From View

The 40th anniversary celebrated the show more as an old thing from our childhoods that had a lot of embarrassing cardboardy monsters.  I'd say the next time for reflection on the show's controversies would be during a similar hiatus.

JamesTC

Coming soon from Big Finish Productions...

The Various Families of Patrick Troughton
Starring Frazer Hines as Patrick Troughton.
Also starring Frazer Hines as himself and Nicholas Briggs as the Daleks.

Bad Ambassador

I'm not saying it would be any kind of BBC Sounds-distributed official history. I'm just suprised no one seems to have done one at all.

JamesTC

Wasn't much of it rumour and not really substantiated with evidence? I mean I don't doubt that Hartnell was anti-Semitic and Troughton was a bit of a sex pest. But is there anything beyond what was heard at conventions?

Bad Ambassador

Nothing about him being a sex pest, more that he was a common-law bigamist who took the job because he needed a secure regular income to feed his numerous children. Hartnell's supposed antisemitism stems I think from a single occurence, during the making of The Myth Makers when he was already upset at all the people with whom he had launched the series now gone and the new producer not letting him attend his adoptive mother's funeral, so he lashed out at guest Max Adrian who was getting a lot of positive attention from the cast and crew. A very shitty thing to do, obviously, but not necessarily a pattern of behaviour.

Norton Canes

Have read a few sources claiming Hartnell had unreconstructed views on race generally

JamesTC

The stuff about Troughton I'd heard was about him sleeping with fans at conventions. Nothing illegal, just a bit of a dodgy power imbalance. The 80s were a different time though.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 13, 2022, 04:04:51 PMHave read a few sources claiming Hartnell had unreconstructed views on race generally

He speaks very fondly of Paul Robeson during his Desert Island Discs appearance. It's possible that his opinions weren't too different to anyone else born into a poorly-educated working class in 1908.

Deanjam

Make of this what you will.

McDead

"Beyond stupid, truly inane. I prayed for death throughout"

Replies From View

Quote from: Deanjam on May 13, 2022, 04:56:54 PMMake of this what you will.

Why did he choose the word "but" there?

"This is what a ten year old would write, except that yes - that is indeed quite unfair to ten year olds."

Replies From View

The quote is almost hilarious in the way it sidesteps being an endorsement.

The Roofdog

"A 10-year-old but not a scrawny one, one of those weird ones who's hit puberty freakishly early"

Mister Six

If that's a real quote it's a masterpiece of very careful wording.

So glad to be reassured that RTD knows how shit Chibnall is.

Cerys

Prediction - Gatwa's Doctor will have red hair.  When he first sees himself in the mirror, his response will be utter ecstasy at finally being ginger, with no reference to skin colour.