Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:12:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on May 15, 2022, 07:15:03 PMI feel vindicated.

It doesn't say "David Tennant will be playing the 14th Doctor."

Many or most people have been saying Tennant could plausibly be appearing in the 60th special, myself included.  A multi-Doctor story for an anniversary is at this stage of the show's history almost inevitable, and Tennant was the one who would inevitably return.

It's the idiotic claim that Whittaker will regenerate into him that people are hoping RTD isn't stupid enough to make happen, and so far hasn't been confirmed.  So you will need to keep your fingers crossed a little longer I'm afraid!

BritishHobo

There wouldn't be much point in him being the 14th I suppose, given how many opportunities there would be to weave Tennant's Doctor into the story. Even if they couldn't think of a good reason for Ten to appear, they could have him back as Handy.

Alberon

Spoilered in case anyone is bothered, but no one is avoiding this news.

I've no idea what is going on.
Spoiler alert
Was Gatwa announced before Tennant and Tate were to stop it appearing Tennant was returning full time to the role? Will the special just have Tennant? I suppose we'll soon know if they are appearing in the 60th together if they both appear in the location filming.

Sex Education was renewed for a fourth season back in September. Is it the case that Gatwa won't be free to start filming for some unspecified time to come leaving Tennant and Tate to helm the 60th special?
[close]

Mister Six

I feel a bit sorry for Jodie because absolutely nobody is going to give the faintest hint of a fuck about her final episode now, especially as we've got about half a year of further casting announcements, set photos, spectator pics and rumours ahead, but I suppose it's essential to give people something to look forward to, and to build excitement for the series again.

Plus, I suppose this would happen anyway, Jodie just has the bad luck of finishing her run right before the 60th anniversary rather than a random Christmas episode.

Spoiler alert
If RTD is considering an MCU-like affair, hopefully we'll get a self-contained Ten/Donna thing that somehow sets up the 60th but isn't essential to it, so Gatwa gets to have the story to himself, and newbies can start with his episode without worrying about it.

Or maybe just make the first episode of Gatwa's first series a pseudo-pilot and jumping-on point with the new companion being introduced there.
[close]

BritishHobo

Quote from: Alberon on May 15, 2022, 07:41:28 PMSpoilered in case anyone is bothered, but no one is avoiding this news.

I've no idea what is going on.
Spoiler alert
Was Gatwa announced before Tennant and Tate were to stop it appearing Tennant was returning full time to the role? Will the special just have Tennant? I suppose we'll soon know if they are appearing in the 60th together if they both appear in the location filming.

Sex Education was renewed for a fourth season back in September. Is it the case that Gatwa won't be free to start filming for some unspecified time to come leaving Tennant and Tate to helm the 60th special?
[close]

That could be where the whole
Spoiler alert
"Tennant as Fourteen" rumour comes from, perhaps - if Tennant is leading the 60th, and Ncuti maybe coming in at the end, maybe somebody involved in leaking got the wrong end of the stick and assumed that meant that Tennant had to be an interim Doctor. When maybe we are just following Ten, having not seen Whittaker regenerate, and then at the end Ten meets Ncuti's Doctor.
[close]

Kelvin

This is front page news on the BBC website, we don't need to use spoiler tags.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on May 15, 2022, 07:44:00 PMI feel a bit sorry for Jodie because absolutely nobody is going to give the faintest hint of a fuck about her final episode now

Worth remembering that she has never seen any Doctor Who before, so probably doesn't give a fuck in the way that you are assuming.  It's just an acting gig, she was paid and she'll be moving on.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on May 15, 2022, 07:44:00 PMJodie just has the bad luck of finishing her run right before the 60th anniversary rather than a random Christmas episode.

And yet it's absolutely brilliant luck for everyone else, which is the main thing (remembering it means nothing to her either way). 

Imagine how depressing it'd be for Whittaker and Chibnall to be helming the 60th anniversary, and the air of not giving a fuck the whole endeavour would imbue.

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 15, 2022, 07:46:18 PMThat could be where the whole
Spoiler alert
"Tennant as Fourteen" rumour comes from, perhaps - if Tennant is leading the 60th, and Ncuti maybe coming in at the end, maybe somebody involved in leaking got the wrong end of the stick and assumed that meant that Tennant had to be an interim Doctor. When maybe we are just following Ten, having not seen Whittaker regenerate, and then at the end Ten meets Ncuti's Doctor.
[close]

I assumed, and still assume, that it was one of the red herrings RTD claimed to be distracting us with.

Mister Six

Ah, true, she probably doesn't give a toss.

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on May 15, 2022, 08:00:25 PM
Spoiler alert
This is front page news on the BBC website,
[close]
we don't need to use spoiler tags.

BritishHobo

Nobody has to use spoiler tags; they can just expand the ones that have been used.

Norton Canes

This can get to fuck, not even Chibnall did anything this bad

BritishHobo

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 15, 2022, 08:09:06 PMThis can get to fuck, not even Chibnall did anything this bad

David Tennant regenerates into Tecteun.

BritishHobo

It does raise the question actually, whether RTD would consider bringing people back from the eras after his, or whether he's only interested in his own. Imagine a big announcement that Ryan will be back in the 60th.

JamesTC

Replies From View

Tennant and Tate have been audios for Big Finish for a while; I wonder if a few sneaky references to them will be dropped into this new adventure, kickstarting the promised MCU nature of all this.

It would be the best way to not alienate new viewers.

kitsofan34

Is he gonna' be wearing a wig for his trademark floppy fringe, then?

JamesTC

Quote from: kitsofan34 on May 15, 2022, 08:17:34 PMIs he gonna' be wearing a wig for his trademark floppy fringe, then?

It'll be Season 6b all over again. Series 4b.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Mister Six on May 15, 2022, 07:44:00 PMI feel a bit sorry for Jodie because absolutely nobody is going to give the faintest hint of a fuck about her final episode now

I feel a bit sorry for Ncuti because absolutely nobody is going to give the faintest hint of a fuck about his first episode now

BritishHobo

Someone on Twitter said it would now be the dream to have Capaldi/Mackie/Lucas and Smith/Coleman announced. Surely the actual dream would be Smith/Gillan/Darvill.

Deanjam

The dream would be for nobody to come back until we've got the new guy established.

BritishHobo

Martha and Mickey please.

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 15, 2022, 08:13:29 PMIt does raise the question actually, whether RTD would consider bringing people back from the eras after his, or whether he's only interested in his own. Imagine a big announcement that Ryan will be back in the 60th.

Certainly not anyone who feels very recent, or whose stories feel thoroughly done and dusted.

I can imagine fleeting cameos from anyone in Moffat's time - even if only very brief appearances like the companion illusions in The Five Doctors, or the heads spinning around as Davison regenerated into C Baker.  I can also imagine somebody like Nardole having a larger role.

Nobody from Chibnall's era.  It would be exactly like having Rose, Martha and Donna appearing in The Eleventh Hour, or Clara and Bill in The Woman Who Fell To Earth.  Not going to happen.

Rev+

Quote from: Replies From View on May 15, 2022, 08:00:53 PMWorth remembering that she has never seen any Doctor Who before, so probably doesn't give a fuck in the way that you are assuming.  It's just an acting gig, she was paid and she'll be moving on.

You could say the same of Matt Smith, but I got the impression that he really did give a shit when his run came to an end.  Ropey as her episodes have been, Jodie will always be associated with the role now, so I doubt she's quite that flippant.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Deanjam on May 15, 2022, 08:26:49 PMThe dream would be for nobody to come back until we've got the new guy established

Instead we get this nightmare. So disappointed. All the excitement and anticipation which kicked in after Ncuti was announced has vanished.

Midas

it hasn't actually been confirmed that the 60th is gatwa's first proper episode, has it? it's plausible he may only make a brief appearance, like capaldi in the 50th.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Replies From View on May 15, 2022, 08:28:38 PMCertainly not anyone who feels very recent, or whose stories feel thoroughly done and dusted.

I can imagine fleeting cameos from anyone in Moffat's time - even if only very brief appearances like the companion illusions in The Five Doctors, or the heads spinning around as Davison regenerated into C Baker.  I can also imagine somebody like Nardole having a larger role.

Nobody from Chibnall's era.  It would be exactly like having Rose, Martha and Donna appearing in The Eleventh Hour, or Clara and Bill in The Woman Who Fell To Earth.  Not going to happen.

True. I got a bit excited thinking about RTD planning a proper proper special where you get every Doctor and one of their companions - but it would definitely feel really odd having Whittaker running around literally the episode after she's gone.

That plus there'd be absolutely no way in hell he'd ever manage to get Eccleston back.

Norton Canes

At least season 11, Chibnall's vision for a new show effectively relaunched, was full of nw characters and ideas. Okay he didn't have the craft to realise it properly but the intention was correct. Genuinely dumbfounded that RTD has done this (even though I saw the rumours lilke everyone else)

purlieu