Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:09:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on May 18, 2022, 07:31:20 AMHaving 800 CDs would make me feel sick, I think.  Are they a tenner each?

Most probably average out at around £6 - as I generally wait for a Big Finish sale. When they want to clear the slow moving stock the prices can go down to as low as a quid - I think I picked up all the non-box set Bernice Summerfield's for either £1 or £2 each.

The Eighth Doctor and Lucie Miller's were another one I got in a "bundle" that worked out at around £2.50 each.

By the time I started collecting, the first 50 of the (2xCD) Main Range had gone out of print - so I had to track those down on Ebay. I managed to get most for around a tenner, but some of the popular ones were more pricey. My biggest spends were :

£39.99 for 'Chimes of Midnight'
£39.30 for 'Spare Parts'
£38.50 for 'Zagreus'

BritishHobo

That's awesome. I've always wanted to dip into Big Finish but - a bit like with Marvel comics - am just too intimidated by how much there already is.

I'd also be up for joining in a rewatch thread. My anticipation is proper high right now and I can't wait eighteen months, so I'd love to give RTD's first era another run. I had a similar-ish thing to daf, in that I didn't start watching the show until mid-way through series 3, and only saw the first two series in dribs and drabs, out of order - basically in 10-minute sections on YouTube, whenever I could find them. I'm not certain I've seen every episode in those series.

Thomas

Took me ages to finally watch the Sontaran two-parter from series 4. My abiding sense is they were very purple and plasticky.

One of the flaws of those first few years is that the harsh lighting and camera quality combined to generate quite a strong CBBC effect (though series 1 had a slightly fuzzy look that I actually really like). RTD got to play in HD in his closing specials, and I'm glad he's getting to do good-looking Doctor Who again - with Rachel Talalay directing, no less.

pigamus

Quote from: Replies From View on May 18, 2022, 07:31:20 AMHaving 800 CDs would make me feel sick, I think.

It's the thought of those 800 holes isn't it

Every night those 800 holes

Waiting

daf

. . . 800 holes in dafbloke's Lanky-shelf

Deanjam

Alberon

I'm going to have to try to avoid the filming thread on Gallifrey Base too closely. Keep as much as possible unspoiled.

They did some more filming after dark which I won't post even under spoiler protection, but there is one little thing I will.

Spoiler alert
Whatever Doctor he's actually playing Tennant is using the accent he used as the 10th Doctor.
[close]

Replies From View

Does anyone know whether filming for any special or episode of Doctor Who has taken place so far before broadcast before?  This is a full 18 months before the 60th will be aired.

It might not mean anything - they could just be working around so many actors' availability, which might require spreading filming more across the year than ever before, but I don't know how these things work.

Alberon

So far there's no sign of Gatwa and I've become convinced this filming block is not for the 60th special.

Spoiler alert
I believe I saw on Gallifrey Base a photo taken at the location filming showing a Hendrick's poster (from the first new episode in 2005) mentioning Christmas dates. I'll have to check if that's right.
[close]

As mentioned before this filming block runs for another couple of months and then starts again in the new year, coincidentally(?) after the new season of Sex Education finishes filming.

JamesTC

Quote from: Replies From View on May 18, 2022, 08:58:37 PMDoes anyone know whether filming for any special or episode of Doctor Who has taken place so far before broadcast before?  This is a full 18 months before the 60th will be aired.

It might not mean anything - they could just be working around so many actors' availability, which might require spreading filming more across the year than ever before, but I don't know how these things work.

The only one I had in mind as one that was filmed early was The Next Doctor but even checking that shows it was only in the can 8 months early.

On checking the rest, the only story that jumps out as longer is Hide which was 11 months. A beneficiary of the split series.

If I wanted to be a smartarse, I would say that Shada was in the can for 39 years before an actual airing. So I'll say Shada.

JamesTC

Quote from: Alberon on May 18, 2022, 09:18:26 PMSo far there's no sign of Gatwa and I've become convinced this filming block is not for the 60th special.

Spoiler alert
I believe I saw on Gallifrey Base a photo taken at the location filming showing a Hendrick's poster (from the first new episode in 2005) mentioning Christmas dates. I'll have to check if that's right.
[close]

As mentioned before this filming block runs for another couple of months and then starts again in the new year, coincidentally(?) after the new season of Sex Education finishes filming.

Tennant and Tate are definitely in the 60th. Remember that they were announced with the blue diamond.

Didn't realise they were taking a break but that makes perfect sense. Record the three specials with Tennant and then Gatwa is available to take over after Sex Education finishes filming in September/October.

BritishHobo

I could definitely see RTD wanting to spread it through the year. I'm pretty sure Tennant's specials were done so that Doctor Who wouldn't be absent from the schedules for a whole year while the new team prepared series 5.

Replies From View

Strange though, as I first thought his plan was for the show to be off the air for a little time before he came back with a bang.

Alberon

Quote from: Replies From View on May 18, 2022, 09:37:03 PMStrange though, as I first thought his plan was for the show to be off the air for a little time before he came back with a bang.

True, but maybe he's imagining the media coverage of Whittaker regenerating into Tennant and then the caption pops up "The Doctor will return at Christmas".

I could be completely wrong, but filming eighteen months before broadcast? That's longer than some films.

McDead

I'll be absolutely astonished if we don't get something for Christmas.

Sorry Alberon, didn't see your post mate. But yes, I agree

Replies From View

Onset photos coming in show
Spoiler alert
Christmas lights
[close]

Updates live from here:

He's sitting there receiving photos from his friend who's there at the location, so they aren't necessarily on Twitter etc yet.

JamesTC

Perhaps the Tennant specials can be airing 23rd November and then Christmas and New Year before Gatwa's series airs in Spring 2024.

Alberon

Don't forget Chibnall's last turd. That's plopping onto our screens in October. I'd expect the first(?) special to be Christmas or New Year's Day. If it's happening.

EDIT: Oh, see what you're saying.

Replies From View

Here's his Tweet, showing the photo:

Spoiler alert

Which may or may not confirm it, but it seems very likely.

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on May 18, 2022, 10:00:23 PMPerhaps the Tennant specials can be airing 23rd November and then Christmas and New Year before Gatwa's series airs in Spring 2024.

But filmed 18 months in advance?  It just seems improbable.  Especially with the photo above now shared.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Replies From View on May 18, 2022, 09:57:19 PMUpdates live from here:

Ta for sharing that.

Spoiler alert
So yes, it does look like RTD's first new episode will be a Christmas special.

I feel quite sorry for Whittaker, as all of this hype and excitement is overshadowing her final episode. But that's not RTD's fault, it's unavoidable really.
[close]

JamesTC

Quote from: Replies From View on May 18, 2022, 10:06:52 PMBut filmed 18 months in advance?  It just seems improbable.  Especially with the photo above now shared.

The article posted by the BBC regarding Tennant and Tate indicated it was episodes airing around the 60th. Likewise the announcement was preceded by a cryptic blue diamond.

I also seem to remember it was mentioned that RTD's first episode back would be the 60th.

Replies From View

Tennant is using a different sonic screwdriver to the one he had 2005-9, apparently.  There will probably be photos soon.

McDead

Spoiler alert
Quote from: McDead on May 15, 2022, 10:05:47 PMSomeone on that twitter has mooted the possibility of this Tennant and Tate reunion being for a Christmas Special (specifically, a special for this Christmas). Really hope that happens, I've missed Who on Christmas Day.

Even if it doesn't, this whole thing feels like Operation: Save Doctor Who. RTD giving the show exactly what it needs: a reminder of when it was good (the heights of the tenth/Donna era) and a reminder of *why* it's good (the promise of the new).
[close]

Sweet, sweet vindication

Replies From View

QuoteEven if it doesn't, this whole thing feels like Operation: Save Doctor Who.

All together now...

"Who's that Doctor over there?
The police box takes him everywhere.
Oooo-oooh bring him back!"

McDead

Replies From View

The instrumental version is quite listenable:

daf

Quote from: JamesTC on May 18, 2022, 10:00:23 PMPerhaps the Tennant specials can be airing 23rd November and then Christmas and New Year before Gatwa's series airs in Spring 2024.

Tennant's Extra!

Replies From View