Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:10:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Description of a scene seen and overheard while it was being filmed, as well as some blurry photos showing this Tennant Doctor's new sonic screwdriver:

McDead

Quote from: Replies From View on May 18, 2022, 11:03:18 PMThe instrumental version is quite listenable:

It is as naught compared to this true beast of a track

BritishHobo

Perhaps its wishful thinking, but I wouldn't put it past RTD to have deliberately pitched the announcement to sound like nothing would be happening until the day of the 60th anniversary - all the while planning stuff for the whole year.

I always used to wish they could keep more stuff secret, but this few days of filming just shows how difficult it is. It doesn't take much for all the major elements to come out.

Replies From View

Why else would they be filming
Spoiler alert
with a building that has Christmas lights?
[close]

I think it's almost certain now that we are getting a Christmas special in 2022 that hasn't yet been announced.

It would also make a regeneration from Whittaker into Tennant (or an open-ended regeneration) more palatable if it's resolved only a couple of months later rather than 13 months.

thr0b

Quote from: Replies From View on May 18, 2022, 11:41:07 PMWhy else would they be filming
Spoiler alert
[close]

They don't look like anything more than normal exterior lights to me.

JamesTC

Quote from: Replies From View on May 18, 2022, 11:41:07 PMWhy else would they be filming
Spoiler alert
[close]

I think it's almost certain now that we are getting a Christmas special in 2022 that hasn't yet been announced.

It would also make a regeneration from Whittaker into Tennant (or an open-ended regeneration) more palatable if it's resolved only a couple of months later rather than 13 months.

Replies From View

McDead

Three specials, one at Christmas, bet the house on it

Replies From View

Still think it makes more sense than filming the 60th anniversary episode 18 months in advance.

Plus there's the leaked information about the scene that has been filmed, with
Spoiler alert
Donna carrying a big bundle of parcels before she runs into the Doctor.  Obviously people can have a big bundle of parcels any time of the year, but it sounds like a classic RTD Christmas Special detail to me.
[close]

JamesTC

Quote from: Replies From View on May 18, 2022, 11:55:56 PMStill think it makes more sense than filming the 60th anniversary episode 18 months in advance.

Plus there's the leaked information about the scene that has been filmed, with
Spoiler alert
Donna carrying a big bundle of parcels before she runs into the Doctor.  Obviously people can have a big bundle of parcels any time of the year, but it sounds like a classic RTD Christmas Special detail to me.
[close]

Spoiler alert
From the report I saw, it is to set up a gag in which he removes the top boxes, sees it is Donna, panics and puts the boxes back.

Maybe she is getting Christmas shopping in. It would only be four weeks away.
[close]

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Spoiler alert
All of that did occur to me, as loads of pubs are adorned with fairy light netting and whatnot. But it looks Christmassy, I like Christmas, and it would be nice if there was a new RTD Dr Who episode on Christmas Day.

Stop ruining everything with your reasonable observations, folks.
[close]

JamesTC

Spoiler alert
Could be bollocks, and it does contradict what I said earlier, but I have also read somebody say they were told they were filming for a Christmas episode today while around the location.

Maybe the location work covers all three specials.
[close]

McDead

Some are calling him Santa T Davies. This does, however, create an unfortunate initialism

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 18, 2022, 11:59:54 PM
Spoiler alert
All of that did occur to me, as loads of pubs are adorned with fairy light netting and whatnot. But it looks Christmassy, I like Christmas, and it would be nice if there was a new RTD Dr Who episode on Christmas Day.
[close]

Indeed.  It was chosen as a filming location because it gives a certain effect - the way it looks won't have been an accident.

Mister Six

Spoiler alert
I do hope this is going to be a Christmas special though. I'm SO HYPED for the possibility. I can feel withered, dried-up old veins of Doctor Who love beginning to pulse with life again. I used to loathe spoilers for this show, but now I'm hoovering up everything I can get just to be reminded of how exciting Who used to be.

God bless you, Mr Davies! And god bless us, every one.
[close]

Alberon

Spoiler alert

"A happy Christmas to all of you at home"
[close]

kittens

Quote from: Alberon on May 18, 2022, 09:46:39 PMTrue, but maybe he's imagining the media coverage of Whittaker regenerating into Tennant and then the caption pops up "The Doctor will return at Christmas".

I could be completely wrong, but filming eighteen months before broadcast? That's longer than some films.

i've never seen an 18 month long film. so, yes, 18 months is indeed longer than some films

bobloblaw

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 18, 2022, 11:32:21 PMPerhaps its wishful thinking, but I wouldn't put it past RTD to have deliberately pitched the announcement to sound like nothing would be happening until the day of the 60th anniversary - all the while planning stuff for the whole year.

I always used to wish they could keep more stuff secret, but this few days of filming just shows how difficult it is. It doesn't take much for all the major elements to come out.

Russell confirmed that it's due to location filming. If only he'd thought of an indoors-based plotline, eh?

From his instagram:
And that's it for now, folks. I know: wouldn't it be lovely to keep this quiet and surprise you all on TV?! But we can't, not when we're filming outdoors in London. So instead of spoilers, we have to own it instead.

bobloblaw

also - the early timing of the shoot is likely to be a result of Tennant's availability. He's probably off shooting more Around the World in 80 Days or something for the rest of the year.

Replies From View

How many days around the world has he filmed so far, altogether?

daf

80 - they finished that one.

I think the next series is just the three main 80Days characters having some more adventures - possibly loosely based around another Jules Verne book, or more likely new stuff - like Tintin or something.

Replies From View

What did Willy Fogg go on to do in that cartoon?

Should just copy every single aspect of that.

Alberon

80 Days in Scunthorpe
80 Days Up a Tree
80 Days on Ketamine

Replies From View

I suppose that if authenticity is key, his next projects should be Pole to Pole and Full Circle.

McDead

Or if he's a lion, just fuck off back to the zoo

pigamus

Quote from: Alberon on May 19, 2022, 12:09:32 PM80 Days in Scunthorpe
80 Days Up a Tree
80 Days on Ketamine

Best that Simon Groom left Blue Peter when he did really

Mister Six

Quote from: bobloblaw on May 19, 2022, 10:36:24 AMalso - the early timing of the shoot is likely to be a result of Tennant's availability. He's probably off shooting more Around the World in 80 Days or something for the rest of the year.

It also occurred to me last night that this IS for the 60th, but they're shooting around the availability of everyone. Karen Gillan's doing Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Matt Smith has that Game of Thrones spin-off that might still be wrapping up its last episodes etc etc.

So perhaps they're filming this early not just to get Tennant and Tate (and Cribbins!) onboard, but also to bring in other notable TARDIS crews through the year as their schedules open up.

Just a thought. But it's a reason not to get too excited about a Christmas special just yet (despite what I said yesterday).

Quote from: daf on May 19, 2022, 11:50:37 AM80 - they finished that one.

I think the next series is just the three main 80Days characters having some more adventures - possibly loosely based around another Jules Verne book, or more likely new stuff - like Tintin or something.

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

They chat about a submarine at the very end of the last episode.

Replies From View

Quote from: A Hat Like That on May 19, 2022, 02:56:49 PM20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

They chat about a submarine at the very end of the last episode.

Das Boot maybe

Deanjam

Quote from: Alberon on May 19, 2022, 12:09:32 PM80 Days in Scunthorpe
80 Days Up a Tree
80 Days on Ketamine

80 Dazed and Confused. A trip across Europe while wasted on hashish.