Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:56:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

Quote from: Mister Six on May 19, 2022, 02:53:01 PMKaren Gillan's doing Guardians of the Galaxy 3

I hope the Rills are in this one.

Thomas

Onset pics, featuring

Spoiler alert
a new sonic screwdriver.

Looks like a variant of his original. I wonder if this is a Tenth Doctor from another timeline, who never regenerated. Perhaps we'll see him turn into an alternate Matt Smith?
[close]

Once nice touch is that, in other, clearer, pictures,
Spoiler alert
his suit appears to be tartan.
[close]

Deanjam

Quote from: Thomas on May 19, 2022, 06:28:44 PMOnset pics, featuring

Spoiler alert
a new sonic screwdriver.

Looks like a variant of his original. I wonder if this is a Tenth Doctor from another timeline, who never regenerated. Perhaps we'll see him turn into an alternate Matt Smith?
[close]

Spoiler alert
[close]

Any thoughts out there on
Spoiler alert
what's on David's left hand. Looks like Seven of Nine's borg implants!

[close]

Replies From View

Quote from: Thomas on May 19, 2022, 06:28:44 PMOnset pics, featuring

Spoiler alert
a new sonic screwdriver.

[close]

Spoiler alert
[close]

Has there been some kind of AI sharpening on those images, do you think?  Tennant's hairline looks like Auton Mickey Smith has been giving him tips.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on May 19, 2022, 07:02:25 PMHas there been some kind of AI sharpening on those images, do you think?  Tennant's hairline looks like Auton Mickey Smith has been giving him tips.

Yeah I was thinking that. Some kind of cheap smartphone AI upscaling might also explain why his fingertips are grey on both hands in the second photo.

Replies From View

Yeah, when you look at his clothes you can see some kind of swirly amalgamation thing going on, and Tennant's face looks like wax.  No point analysing these images too much for any clues.

Thomas

Here's a photo where the
Spoiler alert
tartan suit is clearer:

[close]

Replies From View

Troughtoning the fuck outta those troos

Mister Six

Spoiler alert
Based on the clothes, this probably isn't a pre-S5 Tennant, right?

So either Tennant is the 14th Doctor, the Metacrisis Doctor or a "proper" Doctor from another reality.

Given those options, I'd prefer a temporary 14th Doctor - partly because that's mildly more interesting, mostly because Metacrisis Doc is just too wanky and continuity heavy, and Multiverse Doc already feels played out after Everything Everywhere and Doctor Strange 2 - and it would dilute the idea of The Doctor during the 60th.

(Also RTD said the Time Lords only existed on one universe in the Cybermen two-parter from S2, although he might not remember/care.)
[close]

Thomas

I always liked the idea that the Time Lords (and more importantly the Doctor) only ever arose in one universe.1 As you say, it would risk diluting the character if we could bump into infinite parallel versions. Why follow our particular Doctor when there's a multiverse of them wearing nicer suits?

But we have witnessed at least one alternate Doctor before, in the temporary branching timeline of Turn Left. Admittedly a dead one, but he does exist for a bit - so there's a small precedent for alternate Tenth Doctors.

Perhaps this NewTennant, if he is indeed an alternate Doctor, branched off at some significant moment. Might make his existence more palatable than simply being from a one of a billion parallel worlds with Time Lords in them.

1. though now we've supposedly seen the precise way the Time Lords evolved - they nicked regeneration and just invented time travel in a plain old technological way - it's less special than it was.

Blofelds Cat

In Jon Pertwee adventure Inferno the Big Brother posters featured a pic of vis fx man Jack Kine---Terrance Dicks later retro fitted this continuity in one of the Virgin New Adventure novels as an alternate version of Pertwee who was the dictator of the alternative Britain

McDead

Quote from: Blofelds Cat on May 19, 2022, 09:10:57 PMIn Jon Pertwee adventure Inferno the Big Brother posters featured a pic of vis fx man Jack Kine---Terrance Dicks later retro fitted this continuity in one of the Virgin New Adventure novels as an alternate version of Pertwee who was the dictator of the alternative Britain

I think that was Paul Cornell, in his New Adventure Timewyrm Apocalypse. Might be misremembering, though, it's been a while since I read it.

Spoiler alert
as for who this new Tennant is, one of the leaks has it that this is a temporary Doctor, and the Doctor himself doesn't know why he's got this face again. So it's not a parallel Doctor, and it's not the metacrisis Doc. It's the real one, with an old face.
[close]

Blofelds Cat

You might be right..long time since I read them

Bad Ambassador

I think it was also because the then head of the BBC effect department Bernard Wilkie played Big Brother in the 1954 version of 1984. I like the tradition that Big Brother must always be played by whoever's in charge of the visual effects.

Blofelds Cat

Quote from: McDead on May 19, 2022, 09:17:24 PMI think that was Paul Cornell, in his New Adventure Timewyrm Apocalypse. Might be misremembering, though, it's been a while since I read it.

Spoiler alert
as for who this new Tennant is, one of the leaks has it that this is a temporary Doctor, and the Doctor himself doesn't know why he's got this face again. So it's not a parallel Doctor, and it's not the metacrisis Doc. It's the real one, with an old face.
[close]

At the time I thought it was a neat bit of continuity with the Dr saying the evil dictator was one of the faces the Time Lords offered him before his exile...no doubt a young Chibs read these as well and was inspired with his misjudged efforts 30 odd years later

Replies From View

It could also be some kind of trauma-induced dream scenario, seeming like an Inception situation before proving all to be an hallucination ala Amy's Choice, but that would probably be very rubbish.

Not very sure what I think of the other possible options either, though.

Quote from: McDead on May 19, 2022, 09:17:24 PMI think that was Paul Cornell, in his New Adventure Timewyrm Apocalypse. Might be misremembering, though, it's been a while since I read it.

Spoiler alert
[close]

Cornell's New Adventure in that initial batch was Timewyrm (can't be bothered to check the spelling) Revelation.

I never liked the idea though, too naff and Doctor-centric by half - typical fan fiction sort of stuff really. Doesn't really fit the story as broadcast anyway, as it's made clear there that the alternative universe deviated from at least the 1940s onwards - eg the Defence of the Republic Act, 1943. Terrance Dicks postulates in his novelisation of the story that the regime originated as a Mosleyite government in wartime, so there's not really any need for any alternate Doctor to have anything to do with it.

McDead

You're quite right, Timewyrm: Revelation. I liked the idea at the time, because like a lot of Who fans I was and am absolutely fixated on the Doctor him/herself. But the show itself has become so wearingly Doc-centric of late it's hard to get much from that concept these days. 

McDead

Quote from: Replies From View on May 19, 2022, 09:49:51 PMIt could also be some kind of trauma-induced dream scenario, seeming like an Inception situation before proving all to be an hallucination ala Amy's Choice, but that would probably be very rubbish.

Might be an idea to think of this interim Doctor - if that's what we're getting - as a Watcher type figure.

Replies From View

That's quite nice as well, yeah.  It depends how the regeneration from one to another plays out.

Replies From View

Quote from: Blofelds Cat on May 19, 2022, 09:33:32 PMAt the time I thought it was a neat bit of continuity with the Dr saying the evil dictator was one of the faces the Time Lords offered him before his exile...no doubt a young Chibs read these as well and was inspired with his misjudged efforts 30 odd years later

If only Chibnall's own take had been an easily discardable novel or audio story of some kind.

Sigh.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on May 19, 2022, 09:49:51 PMIt could also be some kind of trauma-induced dream scenario, seeming like an Inception situation before proving all to be an hallucination ala Amy's Choice, but that would probably be very rubbish.

RTD says the The Writer's Tale that he (rightfully) loathes dream sequences.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Replies From View on May 19, 2022, 10:45:47 PMIf only Chibnall's own take had been an easily discardable novel or audio story of some kind.

Sigh.

It did strike me that if Tennant does turn out to be
Spoiler alert
the next regeneration, as a mystery
[close]
then Chibnall's stupid bullshit has robbed that of any excitement. Pre-Chibnall you'd think
Spoiler alert
The Doctor has only had these few faces, so it's intriguing that he has reverted to one of them, for some reason.
[close]

But now thanks to Chibnall you just think
Spoiler alert
well he's had thousands of thousands of faces, it doesn't really matter that he's used one again.
[close]

McDead

I am now wondering if this unexpected tinkering with the Doctor's regeneration setup means RTD is going to more directly address the Chibnall Messter Plan than I had first thought...

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: McDead on May 19, 2022, 11:58:21 PMI am now wondering if this unexpected tinkering with the Doctor's regeneration setup means RTD is going to more directly address the Chibnall Messter Plan than I had first thought...

I don't think he will, as the vast majority of viewers will be blissfully unaware of all that Timeless Child bollocks. I just can't imagine RTD wanting to draw attention to it in any way whatsoever.

Malcy

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 19, 2022, 11:52:23 PMBut now thanks to Chibnall you just think
Spoiler alert
well he's had thousands of thousands of faces, it doesn't really matter that he's used one again.
[close]

Moffat originated that idea though really.

Spoiler alert
Albeit in the other direction
[close]

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Not sure what you mean.

Spoiler alert
Moffat introduced an interregnum Doctor? The War Doctor? That idea worked thematically and dramatically. It bridged a gap between McGann and Eccleston while bringing the whole Time War saga to a satisfactory conclusion. An elegant piece of writing.

Chibnall's Timeless Child masterplan was a terrible load of old fanwank that went nowhere while fucking things up for future showrunners (who will probably ignore it, I know; but still, it's canon now).
[close]

McDead

I would like RTD to permanently bury the idea in quick drying cement, but suspect he's too much of a gent to do that to a fellow writer. A pity, but we live in hope.

C_Larence

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 20, 2022, 01:45:11 AMNot sure what you mean.

Spoiler alert
Moffat introduced an interregnum Doctor? The War Doctor? That idea worked thematically and dramatically. It bridged a gap between McGann and Eccleston while bringing the whole Time War saga to a satisfactory conclusion. An elegant piece of writing.

Chibnall's Timeless Child masterplan was a terrible load of old fanwank that went nowhere while fucking things up for future showrunners (who will probably ignore it, I know; but still, it's canon now).
[close]

Spoiler alert
I assume Malcy was referring to the doctor no longer having a limited amount of regenerations, which as a layman viewer I seem to remember being a corner a lot of people were waiting to see Moffat get out of
[close]