Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:48:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021/22 Part 2 - Matt Le Tosser, Dejan Moron and Thickie Lambert

Started by JamesTC, April 06, 2022, 08:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: Inspector Norse on May 20, 2022, 11:09:57 AMOne does get the impression based on recent games that their uptick in form is basically down to the players realising they might get relegated and deciding to put a shift in, rather than anything tactical or inspirational that's gone on behind the scenes.

Maybe they saw the relegation clause in their contracts.

Kankurette

I thought Delph had been oK this season? Apart from him being injured all the time. And an antivaxx moron.

Ham Bap, I was an Everton fan in 1998 and this entire season has been giving me flashbacks to that horrible time. At least Everton won't be staying up on goal difference and are mathematically safe, unlike that final game versus Coventry when everyone was listening out for the Chelsea result. That was also Babby's First Pitch Invasion, in which I did not participate as my uncle wouldn't let us go on the pitch. My brother did get given a bit of Goodison turf by some bloke though. (He was at the match last night but too high up for pitch invasion fun.)

Bernice

Seems a bit churlish to deny Lampard any credit for keeping Everton up. He came into a team in the worst form in Europe, morale at an all time low, a total shitshow of a squad with serious injury problems. You can say Everton shouldn't have been in that position in the first place, but that's not really Lampard's fault. An awful lot of managers would have failed in his position.

Kankurette

True, I just don't think he'll work in the long term. He underachieved massively with that Chelsea squad. Of course, if Everton hadn't had the genius idea of getting Benitez, none of this would have happened.

Jasha

Quote from: Bernice on May 20, 2022, 01:01:14 PMSeems a bit churlish to deny Lampard any credit for keeping Everton up. He came into a team in the worst form in Europe, morale at an all time low, a total shitshow of a squad with serious injury problems. You can say Everton shouldn't have been in that position in the first place, but that's not really Lampard's fault. An awful lot of managers would have failed in his position.

Fat Fwank's the new Big Sam

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Bernice on May 20, 2022, 01:01:14 PMSeems a bit churlish to deny Lampard any credit for keeping Everton up. He came into a team in the worst form in Europe, morale at an all time low, a total shitshow of a squad with serious injury problems. You can say Everton shouldn't have been in that position in the first place, but that's not really Lampard's fault. An awful lot of managers would have failed in his position.

It still feels like Frank has helped keep them up by virtue of the other teams being worse rather than him dragging them up like Eddie Howe at Newcastle. The £40 million for Alli doesn't look any less bonkers than it did at the time either.

To give him his dues, they're safe with a game to spare but think someone with better leadership could have got more out of them.

Bernice

DrGreggles

Quote from: Bernice on May 20, 2022, 04:58:29 PM40 million for Alli is a totally bogus number.

Not sure he's played enough to automatically trigger the deal anyway.

Unless Tory Boi revisits his Chelsea contacts and raids their endless roster of talented young loan players, Everton will be relegation fodder next season.

JamesTC

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 20, 2022, 05:10:25 PMNot sure he's played enough to automatically trigger the deal anyway.

It is £10m for every 20 appearances up to £40m. So right now they haven't paid anything.

Bernice

No, it's 10 million after 20 appearances, with other, unspecified, clauses potentially taking it up to 40 million. His salary is similarly structured, so if he ends up being a £40 million player on 150k a week it will be because he's won the balloon d'Or, brought us some silverware and circumnavigated the globe in a hot air balloon.

Ted-Maul

Everton's squad has been moribund for a while now and rightly or wrongly, Lampard has the name recognition factor to attract some decent players (I hope). Plus an up-and-coming backroom staff who will want to make their mark on the squad and prove themselves is just what we need.

The whole club has been moribund to be honest and in need of a refresh... got the new manager and staff, getting the new stadium, fans have been reinvigorated, need to get rid of the dead wood and refresh the squad, ideally we'd be rid of Moshiri too but rich oligarchs aren't as common as they used to be.

This season has shown us exactly whats in store for us if we keep fucking up (relegation and bankruptcy) and i'd personally accept a few years of mediocrity for a Lampard-led rebuild that offers some freshness and stability for the future.

Kankurette

bgmnts

Loving the news coverage of this violence in football, as if football fans havent always mostly been knuckle dragging thuggish bellends who probably use football just to vent their chimp anger.

Better them beating shit out of each other at the games rather than getting pissed st home and abusing their wives and kids.

Kankurette

It has been getting worse though. I'm just glad none of the Palace players were hurt.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: bgmnts on May 20, 2022, 06:14:45 PMLoving the news coverage of this violence in football, as if football fans havent always mostly been knuckle dragging thuggish bellends who probably use football just to vent their chimp anger.

Better them beating shit out of each other at the games rather than getting pissed st home and abusing their wives and kids.

They're very likely to do both unfortunately

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Kankurette on May 20, 2022, 05:53:32 PMWhat will it take to make Kenwright fuck off?

I thought he had done so a long long time ago, confusing him with Ken Bates probably isnt helping me with this.

Ham Bap

Quote from: Kankurette on May 20, 2022, 01:00:16 PMI thought Delph had been oK this season? Apart from him being injured all the time. And an antivaxx moron.

Ham Bap, I was an Everton fan in 1998 and this entire season has been giving me flashbacks to that horrible time. At least Everton won't be staying up on goal difference and are mathematically safe, unlike that final game versus Coventry when everyone was listening out for the Chelsea result. That was also Babby's First Pitch Invasion, in which I did not participate as my uncle wouldn't let us go on the pitch. My brother did get given a bit of Goodison turf by some bloke though. (He was at the match last night but too high up for pitch invasion fun.)

This season felt worse than some of those seasons.
I think it was never putting any run of form together for 3/4 of the season, the awful form, injury upon injury, Burnley starting to win then the run of games we had coming up there with Man U, Leicester, Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea.

I was convinced we were going down for months.
I mean we were staring into the abyss last night 2-0 down. Hats off to the likes of Pickford and Richarlison the past couple of weeks.

With our financial position we would have been decimated going down to The Championship. The likes of Andre Gomes on 100k a week in the Championship and having to sell off DCL and Richarlison to replace Premier League money would have been brutal.

Uncle TechTip

I think that's overestimated, what about the parachute payments? 60mil first year?

Vitamin C

£60m is abyss tier when you've spent £536m in 5 years on players (or whatever it was). Completely unfair on teams going down. Parachute should be £150m min tbh.

Kankurette

Quote from: Brian Freeze on May 20, 2022, 07:19:54 PMI thought he had done so a long long time ago, confusing him with Ken Bates probably isnt helping me with this.
Wrong Ken, he's the Chelsea Ken.

The Culture Bunker

Said on one of these threads maybe a year ago that I'd be happy to see Calvert-Lewin at United, as the kind of target man I suspect Lukaku was supposed to be (ie, able to hold the ball up and play it off to runners, then maybe get on the end of subsequent crosses), though his injury issues this season do raise questions.

As it is, I suspect if there's confidence that he can stay fit, Chelsea might have a bid - assuming their take over goes through and they have a few quid spare. United will stick with Ronaldo for another year.

weirdbeard

Quote from: Vitamin C on May 20, 2022, 08:29:50 PM£60m is abyss tier when you've spent £536m in 5 years on players (or whatever it was). Completely unfair on teams going down. Parachute should be £150m min tbh.

Sod that. If it was £150m you'd have a repeated set of yo-yo teams more than what we have now (Fulham, Norwich, West Brom). Bournemouth this season are already up and maybe Huddersfield as well. Sheffield United were close as well.

Fuck parachute payments, just make it mandatory to have severe relegation clauses into contacts.  If you're spending £500m over five seasons and still going down it's entirely your fault and you should serve the punishment for it.

JamesTC

I feel like Norwich have perfected some Premier League equivalent of The Producers.

bgmnts

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on May 20, 2022, 07:25:53 PMI think that's overestimated, what about the parachute payments? 60mil first year?

Everton have lost a fair bit of money past few years, enough for Burnley and Leeds to complain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61529371

JamesTC

Everton were working directly with the PL since the start of the season and have ran all transfers through them. I doubt anything will come from the complaint.

Kankurette

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 20, 2022, 09:16:16 PMSaid on one of these threads maybe a year ago that I'd be happy to see Calvert-Lewin at United, as the kind of target man I suspect Lukaku was supposed to be (ie, able to hold the ball up and play it off to runners, then maybe get on the end of subsequent crosses), though his injury issues this season do raise questions.

As it is, I suspect if there's confidence that he can stay fit, Chelsea might have a bid - assuming their take over goes through and they have a few quid spare. United will stick with Ronaldo for another year.
Oh JFC, can you imagine Roy Keane's reaction if DCL went to United? I think he might actually combust.

Speaking of United players who Roy Keane hates, are they getting rid of Pogba yet?