Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:19:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021/22 Part 2 - Matt Le Tosser, Dejan Moron and Thickie Lambert

Started by JamesTC, April 06, 2022, 08:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Kankurette on May 20, 2022, 10:30:42 PMOh JFC, can you imagine Roy Keane's reaction if DCL went to United? I think he might actually combust.

Speaking of United players who Roy Keane hates, are they getting rid of Pogba yet?
Keane played alongside Beckham, remember? And besides, he is just a media talking head now, pretty much playing the role of "grumpy old man" since it became clear he's no good at the management or coaching side of things. He's more for your entertainment than ours, much like Neville's constant point-missing criticisms (ie Fergie is ultimately to blame) of United.

And us United fans can only hope Pogba is fucking off. His people have obviously been trying to whore him out but to no avail so far, it seems. I wouldn't be surprised if there's still a contract offer on the table for him, regardless of what ten Hag thinks.

Kankurette

Dunno about Keane's relationship with Beckham, but Ferguson yeeted a boot at Beckham and disapproved of Victoria, thought she was getting in the way of him and his game and the celebrity was getting to his head. I don't watch Sky, although Carragher and Neville being massively tsundere towards each other ("STUPID GARY IT'S NOT LIKE I LIKE YOU OR ANYTHING *blush* you idiot") is pretty funny.

I don't get Pogba. He was fantastic against Leeds when you thumped them earlier in the season - I watched the whole game - so it's not like he can't do it if he tries.

DrGreggles

But Pogba is "undoubtedly world class" - the media says so.
The fact that I can count the number of good games I've ever seen him have on my fingers is irrelevant. #worldclass

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 21, 2022, 12:08:44 AMBut Pogba is "undoubtedly world class" - the media says so.
The fact that I can count the number of good games I've ever seen him have on my fingers is irrelevant. #worldclass

Keita/Pogba midfield.

Would be ace. For the 1 game a season they both bother their arse at the same time.

DrGreggles

AllisonSays

Quote from: bgmnts on May 20, 2022, 06:14:45 PMLoving the news coverage of this violence in football, as if football fans havent always mostly been knuckle dragging thuggish bellends who probably use football just to vent their chimp anger.

Better them beating shit out of each other at the games rather than getting pissed st home and abusing their wives and kids.

What a load of weird, classist bollocks.

Kankurette

Mobius

Why do they always play the last game of the season on a Sunday

AllisonSays

Quote from: bgmnts on May 21, 2022, 08:48:15 AMFuck does class have to do with it?

I genuinely can't be arsed to have an argument about it but I don't see how you can't recognise a malign set of stereotypes about working class men in what you posted, in relation to a sport historically and culturally associated with working class life.

Tbh, even leaving class aside, 'chimp anger', wife beaters, knuckle draggers ... I just don't like the misanthropy, but each to their own.

buttgammon

Class and football is a topic that hits a nerve with me sometimes. Whenever I'm in the more middle-class Dublin circles I sometimes move in (we're talking about professional stuff, not people I'd choose to be friends with), I'm constantly annoyed by people either being fake surprised that I'm a football fan (on the grounds of being too educated) or corrected ("it's thsoccer here"). At best, it's seen as an eccentricity. Rugby is the more civilised game apparently; this in a country where a bunch of high-profile rugby players are rapists or rape apologists.

bgmnts

Quote from: AllisonSays on May 21, 2022, 09:26:08 AMI genuinely can't be arsed to have an argument about it but I don't see how you can't recognise a malign set of stereotypes about working class men in what you posted, in relation to a sport historically and culturally associated with working class life.

Tbh, even leaving class aside, 'chimp anger', wife beaters, knuckle draggers ... I just don't like the misanthropy, but each to their own.

I don't view class in those terms, and i'd argue lots of football fans are "middle class" but whatever.

Jockice

Quote from: Kankurette on May 20, 2022, 10:43:49 PMDunno about Keane's relationship with Beckham, but Ferguson yeeted a boot at Beckham

And Beckham appeared the next day with his hair swept back and a tiny plaster above his eyebrow, knowing all the tabloids would print it. What a prick.

Joe Qunt

phes

Surprised to discover how small Sunderland actually is. Stadium of light seats best part of 40% of their population!

Wonder what the highest % is in the league re capacity/population 

Quote from: phes on May 21, 2022, 05:31:54 PMSurprised to discover how small Sunderland actually is. Stadium of light seats best part of 40% of their population!

One of my favourites in this respect is RC Lens. They're essentially the West Brom of the French league and bob up and down between first and second divisions. The town is essentially an industrial estate, but they got a huge ground for WC98. Presume it's in their interests to keep it running because there's Lille down the road making a nice little region for group games.

Edit: town is 31000, stadium 38000.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: phes on May 21, 2022, 05:31:54 PMSurprised to discover how small Sunderland actually is. Stadium of light seats best part of 40% of their population!

Forest Green's ground seats nearly the entire population of the team's hometown Nailsworth, Gloucestershire.

Think this is a common topic in the Guardian's Knowledge column. Hoffenheim is one people often name.

monkfromhavana

Catchment area though, innit?

I also resent the idea that football fans (irrespective of class) are mainly comprised of "knuckle dragging morons". I have been going to watch Cov now for over 30 years and have never witnessed any thuggery in or around the ground. I'm sure it does happen, but you're talking literally a handful of morons.

Please don't respond with the quip that "a handful of morons" would represent a decent crowd for Cov.

monkfromhavana

I'm watching the German cup final. When the players are in the tunnel, they have to go down on an escalator and they appear to have been told that they cannot use the stairs or walk down the escalator. It just looks like a load of bored men in a shopping centre.

shoulders

Gerrard ready to do a managerial equivalent of slipping over to let Demba Ba in to score?

DrGreggles

Always hate it when people bring up Gerrard slipping in that match as a huge mistake.
The slip was unfortunate - it was him being unable to control a simple ball rolling to him along the floor that was the massive fuck up.

Mobius

Yeah but he said "we don't let this slip" before literally slipping

DrGreggles

It would have been difficult for him to say "we don't fail to execute a basic technical skill most footballers master by the age of 6" in the same way though.

Crenners

Lot of stories that he got a very fat envelope for throwing away that title. Always seemed a little unlikely that one of the top ten midfielders of his generation would miscontrol a simple pass and fall over on his red face. In Merseyside gangland culture, the incident is known as "Pancake's Last Huzzah" so make of that what you will.

Kankurette

What, from Evertonian gangsters?

If I was a Villa fan, I'd be a bit fucked off with the excessive focus on Gerrard and how he could win Liverpool the title by thwarting Man City. Villa are not Liverpool's pets. They don't owe them squat.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Kankurette on May 22, 2022, 09:14:50 AMWhat, from Evertonian gangsters?

If I was a Villa fan, I'd be a bit fucked off with the excessive focus on Gerrard and how he could win Liverpool the title by thwarting Man City. Villa are not Liverpool's pets. They don't owe them squat.

Villa have no love for Liverpool because they were the original glory hunters team back in the 80s.  But you are right I have friends that are Liverpool fans that keep going on about Gerrard as if we should be thankful of him managing us, the press obviously can't help themselves either.  Villa fans will have no problem kicking him out next season if he doesn't improve on what he's done this season - we are quite good at this.

Kankurette

Plus you have Coutinho and Ings on your team, who are ex-Liverpool, so that just adds to the hype. If Villa win, it won't be because they love Liverpool so much they just HAD to give them the title. Plus it's giving me flashbacks to when Koeman was at Everton and he was far more arsed about Barcelona than, you know, the actual team he was managing.

How do you rate Gerrard's season overall?

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Crenners on May 22, 2022, 07:30:01 AMLot of stories that he got a very fat envelope for throwing away that title. Always seemed a little unlikely that one of the top ten midfielders of his generation would miscontrol a simple pass and fall over on his red face. In Merseyside gangland culture, the incident is known as "Pancake's Last Huzzah" so make of that what you will.

What I make of that is that it's total bollocks, and you know that it is total bollocks yourself.. He miscontrolled it cos he was looking upfield for where he was going to pass the ball and lost sight of it.

Reckon he did deliberately miss a penalty to get Hodgson sacked though. No rumours of fat envelopes, he just quite simply could not have made it more obvious.