Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:32:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 20, 2022, 01:45:11 AMNot sure what you mean.

Spoiler alert
Moffat introduced an interregnum Doctor? The War Doctor? That idea worked thematically and dramatically. It bridged a gap between McGann and Eccleston while bringing the whole Time War saga to a satisfactory conclusion. An elegant piece of writing.

Chibnall's Timeless Child masterplan was a terrible load of old fanwank that went nowhere while fucking things up for future showrunners (who will probably ignore it, I know; but still, it's canon now).
[close]

I assume Malcy was referring to . . .

Spoiler alert
The Caretaker re-visiting the fourth Doctors face - the "other direction" meaning a future rather than a past Doctor
[close]

Not sure why I'm spoilering that, but as everyone else is doing it . . .

Replies From View

Quote from: C_Larence on May 20, 2022, 03:34:27 AM
Spoiler alert
I assume Malcy was referring to the doctor no longer having a limited amount of regenerations, which as a layman viewer I seem to remember being a corner a lot of people were waiting to see Moffat get out of
[close]

Moffat didn't take away the Doctor's regeneration limit, just granted him/her a new cycle because the old one had run out.  The Master was facing the same in The Five Doctors.

Malcy

Quote from: daf on May 20, 2022, 06:39:14 AMI assume Malcy was referring to . . .

Spoiler alert
The Caretaker re-visiting the fourth Doctors face - the "other direction" meaning a future rather than a past Doctor
[close]

Not sure why I'm spoilering that, but as everyone else is doing it . . .

Yeah that.

Replies From View

I feel like projecting into vague future stuff is quite acceptable as long as it's not overdone, and Moffat never overdid in my view, especially since The Caretaker was just a smart way to include Tom Baker in the 50th without getting too hung up on the mechanisms and methods leading to that particular incarnation.

Incarnations like that - take the Valeyard as another - are simply guest characters at the end of the day.  People don't need to worry about how they fit and they don't eat away at the present mystery of the Doctor by over-defining who they have been.  Unlike the timeless child.

purlieu

Yeah, it's not different to the Merlin Doctor from Battlefield: it just says "the Doctor's life will remain interesting into the far future!" and then just carries on with the story.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Malcy on May 20, 2022, 08:07:19 AMYeah that.

You're not wrong. It did occur to me when I was writing my post. Although Moffat's still felt small-scale to me because it still implied a limited enough number for Tom Baker's face to be meaningful. Chibnall's revelation just makes me think why would the Doctor give a fuck about looking like his Fourth or Tenth incarnations if it turns out they're actually his eight million and fourth and eight million and tenth.

FUCKING HELL CHIBNALL WHY HAVE YOU DONE THIS

Angst in my Pants

The Curator, not The Caretaker.
STOP GETTING WHO WRONG

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 20, 2022, 12:40:02 PMYou're not wrong. It did occur to me when I was writing my post. Although Moffat's still felt small-scale to me because it still implied a limited enough number for Tom Baker's face to be meaningful. Chibnall's revelation just makes me think why would the Doctor give a fuck about looking like his Fourth or Tenth incarnations if it turns out they're actually his eight million and fourth and eight million and tenth.

FUCKING HELL CHIBNALL WHY HAVE YOU DONE THIS

You could explain that by the Doctor having forgotten all of their pre-Hartnell regenerations.

purlieu

Did Chibnall ever explain how the Time Lords supposedly gave the Doctor a new regeneration cycle of 13 in Time of the Doctor if the character supposedly has unlimited lives? I will revisit it when I do a rewatch at some point, but I'm not planning on going back to specifically find out.

olliebean

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 20, 2022, 12:57:47 PMYou could explain that by the Doctor having forgotten all of their pre-Hartnell regenerations.

And also by 4 clearly being the best.

BritishHobo

Quote from: purlieu on May 20, 2022, 01:03:14 PMDid Chibnall ever explain how the Time Lords supposedly gave the Doctor a new regeneration cycle of 13 in Time of the Doctor if the character supposedly has unlimited lives? I will revisit it when I do a rewatch at some point, but I'm not planning on going back to specifically find out.

I guess they didn't need to and the Doctor was worried over nothing and they just lied to Clara about doing it, in order to keep the lie covered? Which robs that episode of its most compelling bit of payoff, with the Timelords doing something selfless for the Doctor in recognition of what he's done across the universe. A long-deserved catharsis. Now it's shit and hollow and meaningless.

At least when Moffat contradicted RTD's Time War genocide he did it in a way that kept everything consistent, and ensured Nine and Ten still believed they had carried out the act. A graceful bit of writing which says something interesting about the Doctor's nature, and gives an opportunity for redemption. Chibnall comes in with his big boots on and kicks all the playing pieces everywhere.

Mister Six

Quote from: purlieu on May 20, 2022, 01:03:14 PMDid Chibnall ever explain how the Time Lords supposedly gave the Doctor a new regeneration cycle of 13 in Time of the Doctor if the character supposedly has unlimited lives? I will revisit it when I do a rewatch at some point, but I'm not planning on going back to specifically find out.

No, but it's easy enough to handwave that once they had the technology to give regeneration abilities, they could remove it too, and did so when they made Hartnell Doctor believe he was a normal Time Lord. Not even the hundredth biggest problem with the Timeless Child story (or "story") for me.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Malcy on May 20, 2022, 08:07:19 AMYeah that.

Ah yes, of course. It was late and I was tired. Soz.

kittens

i watched about 3 episodes of chibnall, so i'm able to completely ignore his changes. they did not happen.

... and to think, I got all worried about that nice Irish policefella.

McDead

That really was meant to be some sort of riff on the idea that "Gallifrey" sounds Irish, wasn't it? Lawd.

daf

C_Larence

Quote from: Replies From View on May 20, 2022, 07:01:47 AMMoffat didn't take away the Doctor's regeneration limit, just granted him/her a new cycle because the old one had run out.  The Master was facing the same in The Five Doctors.
That's me told. I take a very cursory interest in the show but opened my big fat mouth anyway, if only I had my own time machine I would go back and kill Ballad Berkley so he could never ask that question and make me look stupid.

daf

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on May 20, 2022, 12:50:57 PMThe Curator, not The Caretaker.
STOP GETTING WHO WRONG

Oops yes, quite right!

That said, I prefer 'The Caretaker' as a code for a secret incarnation - as someone who 'takes care' - while, by contrast, I picture 'The Curator' spending most of the day sampling fine wines and compiling Spotify playlists.

Replies From View

Quote from: C_Larence on May 20, 2022, 02:31:16 PMThat's me told. I take a very cursory interest in the show but opened my big fat mouth anyway, if only I had my own time machine I would go back and kill Ballad Berkley so he could never ask that question and make me look stupid.

In this thread PEOPLE LEARN POINTLESS NEW THINGS AND YOU WILL BECOME FORMED INTO ONE OF US

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on May 20, 2022, 02:55:09 PMOops yes, quite right!

That said, I prefer 'The Caretaker' as a code for a secret incarnation - as someone who 'takes care' - while, by contrast, I picture 'The Curator' spending most of the day sampling fine wines and compiling Spotify playlists.

Capaldi's Doctor had a stint as The Caretaker a year later.

Still feel the Coal Hill School environment had more potential than was ever exploited.

daf

Ah yes of course - must have subconsciously picked it up from that.

samadriel

Quote from: McDead on May 19, 2022, 12:09:18 AMSome are calling him Santa T Davies. This does, however, create an unfortunate initialism
However the notion of Sexually Transmitted Doctor Who is quite reminiscent of the paradoxical ending of RTD's Who novel.

JamesTC

Torchwood's first episode had a sexually transmitted alien.

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on May 22, 2022, 11:31:11 AMTorchwood's first episode had a sexually transmitted alien.

Wasn't John Barrowman from Earth?

daf

Lots of planets have a Barrowman.

Mister Six

If you can trust a website called Cosmic Book News quoting a YouTuber called Doom Cock...

QuoteTOBY STEPHENS DOCTOR WHO RUMORED CUT AS PART OF 'MARVEL-STYLE' UNIVERSE

Following the recent casting announcements, a batch of rumors offers that English actor Toby Stephens was cut as the first choice to play the new Doctor Who which involves Russell T Davies building a Marvel-style Whovian Universe on the small screen.

The info comes from YouTuber Doom Cock who also reveals details on Davies' plans said to involve numerous spinoff series.

Regarding Toby Stephens (known for Netflix's Lost in Space), it's said Ncuti Gatwa was not Davies' first choice for the new Doctor Who to replace Jodie Whittaker and that footage was actually shot with Stephens regenerating into the 14th Timelord.

"Toby Stephens was going to be the Doctor since November," states Doom Cock's source. "Toby was the Doctor [that] Jodie regenerated to onscreen. Compare the mouths with the new guy and Toby's, and it will confirm."

Doom Cock claims the information comes from someone who was present when Jodie's regeneration scene was shot or from someone that has seen the raw footage from inside the BBC. It's also said that Sony Pictures TV, who officially bought Davies' Bad Wolf production company last year - the company producing Doctor Who Season 14 - wanted Toby Stephens in the role of the new Doctor Who because they have a good relationship with him (stars in Sony's Alex Rider on Amazon Prime Video pictured above), and also that Davies agreed.

"Yes, the actor in question was supposed to be the Doctor. 'I'm finally a ginger!' was his first line after he screamed and regenerated," explains the YouTuber who has a following of nearly 300K subscribers. "Toby was the one who was in the regeneration screen. Sony wanted him as he is under contract with them, and Russell liked him; however, the BBC still wrestling for power got the new black gay actor into the role, and Davies is just playing nice with them."

It's further said that the casting of Ncuti Gatwa as the new Doctor instead of Toby Stephens also means that reports Bad Wolf is in control of Doctor Who have been exaggerated.

It's also claimed: "Joe Martin's Doctor presented as the very first Doctor by [Chibnall] will be given a farewell appearance on Doctor Who but that will be that; they will never refer to her again."

The article also contains this, on supposed spin-offs, although the "Torchwood coming back with Captain Jack" story sounds like absolute bollocks given Barrowman's fall from grace, and the "paranormal show" is obviously just Sarah Jane Adventures except with Ace.

Just sounds like sub-Sun tabloid fare. "What's a thing that existed? All right, let's say they're doing that again, but slightly different."

QuoteDoctor Who Russel T Davies Marvel-style rumors:
Regarding what Russel T Davies has planned, which is described as a Davies being the "Kevin Feige" of a Marvel-style Whovian universe (something Davies' previous Who universe has been compared to and described as), it's said that Sony wants to rival Disney's small screen verse Disney has for Marvel, and it's said the following series are penciled in:

Torchwood spinoff
Davies plans on doing a Torchwood spinoff with none other than Captain Jack played by John Barrowman, and the series is said to be set in "stone and is definitely happening" and that it will be announced around the 60th Anniversary Special assuming there are no contract issues.

Paranormal show
Another series said to be not a done deal that Davies is reportedly pitching is a paranormal detective-style show starring K9 and Ace who will be investigating various ghostly and otherwordly events (possibly aimed at kids).

Doctor Who animated miniseries
It's said a Doctor Who animated miniseries is in the works if Davies has his way involving the past Doctors with only the Seventh Doctor, Sylvester McCoy, and the Eighth Doctor, Paul McGann, presently confirmed.

Rose Tyler TV series
The biggest of the projects is claimed to be a spinoff TV series for Rose. The rumor offers Russel T Davies is "very keen" to do a Rose TV series based on the novel he wrote after his departure from the show. This show is "believed to be happening wholeheartedly" and is said to be the passion project that brought back Davies to showrun Doctor Who.

Regarding who is playing Rose as recently saw the announcement that Transgender actress Yasmin Finney has joined the cast of Season 14, Doom Cock thinks Davies is going with original actress Billie Piper as Davies loves the character of Rose and thinks it will be faithful to his vision of her which is played by Piper.

Regarding the Yasmin Finney Rose, similar to my own thinking, the YouTuber thinks Yasmin Finney will be playing a Multiverse version of Rose Tyler.

Kelvin

Putting aside the tabloid lies, I'm quite concerned about RTD's own self-confessed enthusiasm for a shared universe. It's clear at this point that the show has never been able to sustain that, everything else they did in the universe has been terrible, or utterly forgettable, with the (sort of) exception of Sarah Jane (which was basically just a variation of the main show, only aimed even younger), and Children of Earth, which RTD wrote on his way out the door.

I'd much rather they focus on getting the main show really good, and pouring all the best talent into that, rather than spread themselves too thinly with yet another crap spinoff. The biggest appeals of the main show are The Doctor and the time/space possibilities of the TARDIS. Once you strip those aspects out, there's not enough there to sustain multiple shows, imo. 

thr0b

All sounds to be 100% made-up bullshit.

It's nice to have bullshit artists interested in the show again.