Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:35:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

We'll see if that's the same "leak" due to be revealed here soon:

This is a live video and so far he's not said what it is, but it's probably the above.

Replies From View

23 minutes in, he's about to start sharing them.

Replies From View

Main thing, if his source is to be trusted, is that Doctor Who Confidential will be back, under the new name 'Doctor Who: Unleashed'

daf

QuoteTOBY STEPHENS DOCTOR WHO RUMORED CUT AS PART OF 'MARVEL-STYLE' UNIVERSE

Following the recent casting announcements, a batch of rumors offers that English actor Toby Stephens was cut as the first choice to play the new Doctor Who which involves Russell T Davies building a Marvel-style Whovian Universe on the small screen.

The info comes from YouTuber Doom Cock who also reveals details on Davies' plans said to involve numerous spinoff series.

Regarding Toby Stephens (known for Netflix's Lost in Space), it's said Ncuti Gatwa was not Davies' first choice for the new Doctor Who to replace Jodie Whittaker and that footage was actually shot with Stephens regenerating into the 14th Timelord.

"Toby Stephens was going to be the Doctor since November," states Doom Cock's source. "Toby was the Doctor [that] Jodie regenerated to onscreen. Compare the mouths with the new guy and Toby's, and it will confirm."

Bbbbbbbbullshit. If Stephens had really been cast there's no way they'd have got as far as shooting the regeneration scene before ditching him, TV doesn't actually work like that as they have things called "contracts" which actors sign.

QuoteDoom Cock claims the information comes from someone who was present when Jodie's regeneration scene was shot or from someone that has seen the raw footage from inside the BBC.

Which one is it then? Surely they'd know which one it was if they'd really been there?

QuoteIt's also said that Sony Pictures TV, who officially bought Davies' Bad Wolf production company last year - the company producing Doctor Who Season 14 - wanted Toby Stephens in the role of the new Doctor Who because they have a good relationship with him (stars in Sony's Alex Rider on Amazon Prime Video pictured above), and also that Davies agreed.

"Yes, the actor in question was supposed to be the Doctor. 'I'm finally a ginger!' was his first line after he screamed and regenerated," explains the YouTuber who has a following of nearly 300K subscribers. "Toby was the one who was in the regeneration screen. Sony wanted him as he is under contract with them, and Russell liked him; however, the BBC still wrestling for power got the new black gay actor into the role, and Davies is just playing nice with them."

It's further said that the casting of Ncuti Gatwa as the new Doctor instead of Toby Stephens also means that reports Bad Wolf is in control of Doctor Who have been exaggerated.

That makes it sound like he saw it rather than reporting what someone else saw which is even more inconsistent.

Does anyone seriously believe Davies would've resisted the opportunity cast the first black gay Doctor?

Also:

QuoteIt's also claimed: "Joe Martin's Doctor presented as the very first Doctor by [Chibnall] will be given a farewell appearance on Doctor Who but that will be that; they will never refer to her again."

Very convincing, especially as they got her name wrong.

Norton Canes

Toby Stephens earlier today

Mister Six

Ah, shit, I meant to make a joke about Stephens wanting a new car and totally forgot!

M-CORP

RE these Doomcock rumours:
I find it hard to believe that the BBC would ask Russell T Davies back to Doctor Who, when he's one of the most acclaimed and in-demand writers in the country, and has repeatedly said he didn't want to return to the old day job, if they didn't trust him to right a sinking ship. The idea that upper management would stifle his creative control, and that he'd play along...

The BBC have already given up partial control of the show to Bad Wolf Productions, which can't have been easy to accept - everything that I have seen in the real world just reeks of the Beeb saying, 'OK, we can't run this on our own. Russell, you know best.'

Obviously they're gonna have a hand in whoever plays the Doctor, that's nothing out of the ordinary, but they would be foolish to not trust the judgement of a show runner - and his casting director, Andy Pryor - who's got it right before. Plus I'm familiar with Doomcock and he's unreliable where Doctor Who is concerned. For example:
Also made a lot of videos with anonymous sources talking about how Kathleen Kennedy was definitely being kicked out of Lucasfilm... only for her contract to be renewed IIRC.

As for the spin off stuff, that isn't a surprise as RTD has spoken about it in interviews. It doesn't need to rival Marvel in my view, as that's not the point of Doctor Who, to consciously try and match the big American giants. A few spin-off shows, similar to circa 2007, would likely be enough. But there definitely has be enough material in various mediums to make the gaps between series feel shorter, without diluting the main series itself. It's more the tie-in stuff that needs fixing - books, audio dramas, DVD features, webisodes, games, behind-the-scenes peeks, whatever new media comes along except NFTs, etc.

Malcy

Imagine actually believing some twat on YouTube in a mask. Read this pish the other day, laughable. But people lap it up.

Mister Six

Aye, it's patent bollocks, but I thought it might liven up the thread.

McDead

Yep, keep the gossip, potty theories and hearsay coming, imo. Better that than the last five years of uncanny silence.

pigamus

Quote from: Malcy on May 23, 2022, 12:31:20 AMImagine actually believing some twat on YouTube in a mask. Read this pish the other day, laughable. But people lap it up.

Spoiler alert
Well... if you'd told me RTD, David Tennant, Catherine Tate, Bernard Cribbins, Janet Fielding and Sophie Aldred were all coming back I'd have looked at you a bit pityingly
[close]

Rev+

The one thing that will turn out to be true is that RTD will lean hard on spin-offs, because he's already indicated that.  I can't for the life of me think of what a decent spin-off might be at this point, given the ones that have already burned out, and the others that were terrible ideas to start with (like the Rose Tyler show).  Cyberman sitcom?  The Yaz Quiz?

Mister Six

I imagine he'll be casting and writing with that in mind. I just hope the series doesn't become a procession of obvious backdoor pilots.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Kelvin on May 22, 2022, 08:50:18 PMI'd much rather they focus on getting the main show really good, and pouring all the best talent into that, rather than spread themselves too thinly with yet another crap spinoff. The biggest appeals of the main show are The Doctor and the time/space possibilities of the TARDIS. Once you strip those aspects out, there's not enough there to sustain multiple shows, imo. 
I agree with you.

pigamus

Quote from: Mister Six on May 23, 2022, 04:59:42 AMI imagine he'll be casting and writing with that in mind. I just hope the series doesn't become a procession of obvious backdoor pilots.

Homophobia

bobloblaw

Quote from: Mister Six on May 22, 2022, 08:41:59 PMIt's also claimed: "Joe Martin's Doctor presented as the very first Doctor by [Chibnall] will be given a farewell appearance on Doctor Who but that will be that; they will never refer to her again."

Strong Poochie vibes

BritishHobo

I do love the implication in that rumour that RTD has had diversity forced upon him and he's really unhappy about it and will refuse to mention Jo Martin (as if we were expecting her to be brought up every week?). The guy who, on top of literally his entire career representing underrepresented characters, wrote in the novelisation of Rose that "a tall, bald black woman" would be a future Doctor. Going home and punching a wall because Sony won't let him have a straight white bloke WHERE'S THE EQUALITY

Thomas

QuoteGoing home and punching a wall because Sony won't let him have a straight white bloke WHERE'S THE EQUALITY

If RTD had his way, 1m15s would be Toby's entrance as the Doctor -

George White

Dr Who link though - Ronnie Allen (who was in the Dominators) and TOny Adams (The Green Death) as characters.
A spiritual cousin to An Adventure in Space and Time (see also Fellow Traveller - Jonathan Hyde as the Daleks' Alan Wheatley, 'Michael Gough' and 'Bernard Kay' in Feud, various Carry On biopics, and Richard Todd ordering a fictitious version of himself in The Longest Day)

Kelvin

I really hope he doesn't use Gatiss any more for Who. Like Chibnall he's someone whose ability seems vastly overrated by his peers, albeit not to quite the same degree.

Mister Six

Yeah, Gatiss and Stephen Thompson were the two non-Chibnall red flags for me. Although I suppose Crimson Horror and Time Heist were alrightish.

Replies From View

I had a horrible thought the other day that Chibnall would probably write another episode or two of Who for RTD if asked, and he probably will be asked just out of kindness.

JamesTC

I liked his two Ice Warrior stories. The rest are hit and miss. If they are short on writers then I wouldn't begrudge him getting a story while they steady the ship. What did strike me whilst seeing all the videos he recorded for the World of Doctor Who thing is he is a fantastic ambassador for the show.

The dream would be for them to convince Rob Shearman to come back for an episode. The best living Who writer out there.

daf

Nobody else seemed to like it, but I thought Robot of Sherwood was a solid gold 10/10!

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: daf on June 02, 2022, 12:10:29 AMNobody else seemed to like it, but I thought Robot of Sherwood was a solid gold 10/10!

GUARDDDD

Replies From View

With or without the deleted scene included?

purlieu

I'll have Gatiss back if his stories are suddenly as good as his books.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Thomas on May 23, 2022, 12:37:27 PMIf RTD had his way, 1m15s would be Toby's entrance as the Doctor -

This is completely incidental but please enjoy this wonderful Pierce Brosnan moment from his dvd commentary for this scene if you haven't already:

https://twitter.com/JimJarmuschHair/status/1017130711973687296?s=20&t=eoUT5CfrsP3KZRbBe2oapQ