Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:23:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's really the best time of day to listen to Blue Jam?

Started by M-CORP, June 18, 2022, 07:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M-CORP

Chris Morris is on record as saying Blue Jam was designed to be broadcast at 3am, even though it actually went out at midnight - so as to be as far away from daylight as possible or something like that. That seems like overdoing it to me, I mean I am more of a day man admittedly, but I think it works better in the day time, more dissonant.
Maybe I don't stay up late enough to try it. Maybe it doesn't matter what time you listen to it, as it's good enough to stand on its own... what do YOU think? Has anyone even gone so far as to follow Morris' advice to listen to the show after having been in a floatation tank for two days?

AzureSky

Quote from: M-CORP on June 18, 2022, 07:02:55 PMChris Morris is on record as saying Blue Jam was designed to be broadcast at 3am, even though it actually went out at midnight - so as to be as far away from daylight as possible or something like that. That seems like overdoing it to me, I mean I am more of a day man admittedly, but I think it works better in the day time, more dissonant.
Maybe I don't stay up late enough to try it. Maybe it doesn't matter what time you listen to it, as it's good enough to stand on its own... what do YOU think? Has anyone even gone so far as to follow Morris' advice to listen to the show after having been in a floatation tank for two days?

I used to stay up and listen to it live (I'm sure 1am to 2 am?), it was thrilling secret world and I would be knackered on a Friday morning at work, babbling about it. The dream-like quality of it works perfectly when broadcast at that time. The morning after you'd question what you thought you heard, was it really like that or did you drift off and dream some of it? The impact on me was amplified hugely by hearing it go out like that.

McChesney Duntz

I sometimes get a playlist going and plug in the earbuds right as I'm about to go to sleep. Occasionally amazing dreams as a result. I think a comedy show designed solely for the somnambulant may be the way to go. I certainly wake up feeling funny.

zomgmouse

Spiral King

When you have an aggressive feverish temperature.

Seriously, next time you're unwell, try it. It's quite an experience when you're slipping in and out of sleep. Especially recommended for people like me who've heard them all hundreds of times.

flotemysost

When I first downloaded the series they soundtracked my daily commute to a job I hated - which sounds about as far as you can get from prime conditions for properly absorbing it, but there was actually something very uplifting about filling my head with this thrillingly inventive, offbeat universe while I was heading off to be bored out of my mind for the next eight hours.

Ended up listening to most episodes so many times that I more or less memorised lots of little details from the performances, turns of phrase, musical stings etc. so it became almost like a familiar comfort blanket. When I started a new job where everyone put their headphones in all day, I found it made for good "background noise" while I was getting up to speed with the job.

notjosh

It's definitely a late night listen for me. The only problem is it's so soporific that I struggle to finish an episode.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I recorded them off the radio when they were first broadcast, but usually fell asleep before the end, so I'd listen to the remainder on the school bus the next morning. Ever since, it's been a go-to on otherwise boring journeys.

I think time is less of a factor than concentration. Any time it can be the sole focus of your attention is best.

thenoise

I've listened to it while falling asleep, and also when I was in the habit of having long candlelit baths. Both work great.

Also works at 10am, but while lying in bed recovering from a night of heavy drinking.

Haven't listened to it in years, though - I suspect my next listen will be whenever the toddler lets me.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Dineen on June 18, 2022, 08:15:48 PMI used to stay up and listen to it live (I'm sure 1am to 2 am?)

Yeah, pretty sure it was 1am.