Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:19:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cost Of Living Crisis (COLC) - How fucked are ye?

Started by shoulders, August 04, 2022, 07:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: AllisonSays on August 11, 2022, 11:05:31 AMI do think that the culture war posturing of the Tories will lose a lot of its freight when people can't afford to heat their homes, drive to work, do a weekly shop or go on holiday. What the consequences of that will be it's very hard to say.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, the consequences could include a sharp turn to the right.  It has happened before.  This is why it's even more important to encourage as many as possible to get involved with stuff like the Enough thing.  Build solidarity.  It simply must be done.

Mr_Simnock

they have no choice, every single aspect of the UK economy will be hit very hard with a price cap of £5,000, every business will have to increase their costs for everything and they will be trying to survive in a market where the consumers have no money for them, it's going to make the late 1970's look like the best of days

Alberon

QuoteCornwall Insight say prices will fall below £100 per megawatt hour from 2026 onwards.

It is an improvement from an earlier forecast that saw prices staying above the £100 mark through the decade.

Tom Edwards, a senior modeller at the consultancy, said:

QuoteOur data shows the benefits to the market of a growth in renewable investment, with the increasing competition for GB renewables reducing prices and helping stabilise the energy market over the next few years...

While this is positive news, we need to recognise that prices are forecast to remain above pre-2021 average until 2030. It is important that the UK and others maintain the course on low carbon generation, which alongside other measures to increase energy security such as additional nuclear or diverse gas imports, will be one of the key players in this journey.

shoulders

There's no fucking way I'm paying £5,000 a year for gas and electricity and neither should anyone else. They can kiss my arse.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Alberon on August 11, 2022, 12:17:48 PMWhile this is positive news, we need to recognise that prices are forecast to remain above pre-2021 average until 2030.

How much above though? £1300 a year is a big difference from £4k a year

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on August 11, 2022, 11:23:36 AMthey have no choice, every single aspect of the UK economy will be hit very hard with a price cap of £5,000, every business will have to increase their costs for everything and they will be trying to survive in a market where the consumers have no money for them, it's going to make the late 1970's look like the best of days

This is why it isn't going to happen.  They will cut a deal and borrow on our behalf to pay capitalism whilst steering the conversation away from nationalisation.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 11, 2022, 01:33:56 PMThis is why it isn't going to happen.  They will cut a deal and borrow on our behalf to pay capitalism whilst steering the conversation away from nationalisation.

yes probably will happen that. the thing that baffles be so much as that during this time of very high inflation and huge energy bills they keep saying stuff about not to raise wages much, I mean how bizzare is that, it feels like they are trying to destroy the economy on purpose

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on August 11, 2022, 01:54:59 PMyes probably will happen that. the thing that baffles be so much as that during this time of very high inflation and huge energy bills they keep saying stuff about not to raise wages much, I mean how bizzare is that, it feels like they are trying to destroy the economy on purpose

<I am Margot Robbie in a bath>

The GFC happened because people that could not afford houses (essentials).  To meet this shortfall they were loaned money to purchase them, only to make these loans viable to investors they cut them up and spread them through other loans that were more stable.  Essentially diluting bad debt with "good" debts.  These then got collected by a few bigger companies, whom like tuna's gorged on too much little fish mercury became insolvent themselves crashing the economy worldwide.

To get out of the this and restart the economy the solution should have been to give everyone in country money to go out and spend (helicopter money), this was argued to be too much of a risk to inflation, so instead they used quantitative easing in banks to issue debt to borrowers, banks get free money to lend but also get to make money from repayments (heads you lose, tails I win).

What is happening is ultimately no different, raising wages or the "helicopter money" provides people with autonomy, loaning them money reduces it and makes them promissory's to pay - the government will "save the day" by finding the money (borrowing it on everyones behalf) and lots of people will be stupid enough to vote for them claiming "they saved us" when all they've done is aided us being mugged.

Pink Gregory

Don't always find myself agreeing with old 'percenter but that's about the most succinct summary of the 2008 crash that I've since read.  Saving that.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Buelligan on August 11, 2022, 10:21:27 AMYou are all being mugged.

Ireland has expensive electricity and our average bill is about €280. Total robbery but the UK version is €350 and heading to the four hundreds or even five hundred which is mad.

Why wouldn't Labour want to nationalise? Isn't that supposed to be their thing?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 11, 2022, 02:22:43 PMDon't always find myself agreeing with old 'percenter but that's about the most succinct summary of the 2008 crash that I've since read.  Saving that.

Oh god, let me spell check it first!

bgmnts

https://news.sky.com/story/no-new-measures-to-help-with-cost-of-living-after-crisis-talks-between-boris-johnson-and-energy-bosses-12670543

It's all so pointless isn't it? Just a useless waste of time to keep us all seeming busy until society ends. No purpose to any of it, no goals or aim or ambition just let these people kill us all slowly and keep us miserable.

They're the fucking government. Just tell these rich cunts to pay tax and curb profits fucking helllllllllllll.

Buelligan

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!

Sky News now reporting that following the much vaunted meeting between Johnson, ministers and energy bosses this morning, Johnson has explained that he won't be doing anything.  No action is predicted.

END OF BROADCAST

Eta ah, sorry, yes, bgmnts.  Pointless.

bgmnts

Seriously though, why haven't we bastille'd all these cunts? Yeah they have the police but there are millions of us jesus christ.

Buelligan

Because you're British innit.  Think it must be.  They'd not get away with it here.

Join the fucking Enough thing.  There will be pickets.   Oh yes.  HELP TURN ANGER INTO ACTION.

https://wesayenough.co.uk/events/

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: bgmnts on August 11, 2022, 03:06:29 PMIt's all so pointless isn't it? Just a useless waste of time to keep us all seeming busy until society ends. No purpose to any of it, no goals or aim or ambition just let these people kill us all slowly and keep us miserable.

Well they have ambitions in their minds i.e. being super rich and surviving the apocalypse in their bunkers.

Quote from: bgmnts on August 11, 2022, 03:08:00 PMSeriously though, why haven't we bastille'd all these cunts? Yeah they have the police but there are millions of us jesus christ.

Lots of reasons but in this country it's largely due to a lack of political education, a media that is literally designed to create  self-loathing apathy, conformity, fear of others and an organised left that can't organise itself.

Zetetic

Quote from: Buelligan on August 11, 2022, 03:08:58 PMhttps://wesayenough.co.uk/events/
And this represents - currently - a real attempt to organise, at scale and with some recent history of using collective power to win battles.

Buelligan

Yes it does.  It really does.  I hope so fervently that everyone seeing the links will be inspired to join, stand up in solidarity and do something to stop Britain sliding into the hellhole that's been dug and is waiting.

MrMrs

I like that we're finally talking about direct action but where is this being organised?

I'm backing Enough and Don't Pay. Where are they discussing things we can do? Can't just be a couple threads on a comedy forum.

Zetetic

One option might be to join your local ACORN branch. (Noting that actions right now will likely be about member defence and local campaigns, rather than Enough is Enough.)

Buelligan

And, if you sign up to Enough, as you have, and you ticked the box agreeing to be kept informed of events (which I expect you have), they will email or text you or you can follow them on social media - https://wesayenough.co.uk/events/

bgmnts

The only thing that will come close to change anything is mass refusal to pay money for whatever, mass rioting or the threat of violence.

That will always be the case forever. That's why Don't Pay I support. But I support radical action first and foremost.

MrMrs

Oh yeah, radical, direct action is the only thing that ever works. Which is why it isn't spoken about.

Psybro

Quote from: MrMrs on August 11, 2022, 08:44:52 PMWhere are they discussing things we can do? Can't just be a couple threads on a comedy forum.

4chan basically brought down the US so we can probably manage something on a smaller scale like this.

Buelligan

Quote from: bgmnts on August 11, 2022, 09:30:45 PMThe only thing that will come close to change anything is mass refusal to pay money for whatever, mass rioting or the threat of violence.

That will always be the case forever. That's why Don't Pay I support. But I support radical action first and foremost.

Quote from: MrMrs on August 11, 2022, 09:45:26 PMOh yeah, radical, direct action is the only thing that ever works. Which is why it isn't spoken about.

Why were they so terrified of Corbyn then?  Why are they so utterly determined to vilify and undermine unions?  They're more terrified of that, organised rebellion with a mandate.  They've corrupted democracy, Britain is a piggy-in-the-middle one-party-two-colours state, like the US and they want to keep it that way.  Don't let them.  Don't let them dismiss our opposition as riot and illegality, stand in solidarity and build that fucking mandate.  That is my advice.

MrMrs

Because he was the closest thing to direct action

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Buelligan on August 11, 2022, 03:08:58 PMBecause you're British innit.  Think it must be.  They'd not get away with it here.

Join the fucking Enough thing.  There will be pickets.   Oh yes.  HELP TURN ANGER INTO ACTION.

https://wesayenough.co.uk/events/

On it

Buelligan

WhoMe

Just about staving off the dread by assuming something simply has to be done to prevent the forecasted price cap rises hitting the general public, because it'll be carnage for so many aspects of the economy that the cost of a severe recession will outweigh this slavish devotion to pleasing investors and shareholders. Sentiment will massively swing towards renationalising public utilities as well. They must know this.