Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:48:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you like History

Started by Mobius, August 19, 2022, 12:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

As I get older (I'm 35) I find myself spending less time wanking and playing videogames, and more time watching documentaries, listening to podcasts and audiobooks about various bits of history.

After spending a few months reading and watching everything I could around The Tudors/Henry VIII/Thomas Cromwell, I've decided to move away from English History and go even older, and am absolutely loving this book called The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. I'm fucking amazed that this book was written in 1776, it's so detailed and well written.

I remember as a child my dad, who was a postman and whose interests didn't generally stretch further than football and fish tanks, suddenly became fascinated with the Vietnam War, to the point he was convinced he'd actually fought in it and my mum had to tell him to stop saying that to people.

Anyway I am just curious if you guys consider yourself experts or are passionate about any particular periods of history? I think after doing the Roman stuff, I might look into The Crusades.

idunnosomename

i mean if you mean like buildings like 500+ years old im all over them like an absolute pervert

Bennett Brauer

[tag]Mobius mentions the funky Gibbon[/tag]

Perhaps you've already read it but I recommend Dan Jones's compelling 'Powers and Thrones' if you're interested in the Middle Ages - he covers the Crusades in that. I think that's his latest of many, but on the strength of it I'd say his earlier book 'Crusaders: An Epic History of the Wars for the Holy Lands' should be worth reading.

Video Game Fan 2000

i don't care about history
cos thats not where i wanna be

Mobius

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 19, 2022, 12:34:07 AMi mean if you mean like buildings like 500+ years old im all over them like an absolute pervert

I'm definitely appreciating old shit more, even churches which I thought were fucking stupid when I was a kid! Sadly my parents decided to emigrate me to Australia some years ago, which has no real history or culture. Used to hate it when my dad forced me to museums, Hampton Court and that... if only I'd known.

Mobius

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 19, 2022, 12:54:35 AMi don't care about history
cos thats not where i wanna be

What about herstory?

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on August 19, 2022, 12:52:24 AM[tag]Mobius mentions the funky Gibbon[/tag]

Perhaps you've already read it but I recommend Dan Jones's compelling 'Powers and Thrones' if you're interested in the Middle Ages - he covers the Crusades in that. I think that's his latest of many, but on the strength of it I'd say his earlier book 'Crusaders: An Epic History of the Wars for the Holy Land' should be worth reading.

Yeah I am on the 2nd Gibbon book, part 2 of the Decline & Fall. Genuinely only found out a few hours go that the book was hundreds of years old. It's quite funny and sarcastic sometimes, felt so modern!

I have watched a few Dan Jones videos on Youtube, he definitely knows his Crusades! Will seek those out for sure. I really like Suzannah Lipscombs videos too.

Video Game Fan 2000

I'm disgusted at my own inability to retain historical facts or even just a vague sense of context, but if someone believed something odd I'll probably fixate on it.

i'm interested in the history of language. not etymology, but political or cultural events related to it. but will my brain retain any of it? will it fuck

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Mobius on August 19, 2022, 01:00:27 AMWhat about herstory?

God creates Eve ---- (Nothing happened) ---- Ibsen born 

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Mobius on August 19, 2022, 01:00:27 AMI have watched a few Dan Jones videos on Youtube, he definitely knows his Crusades! Will seek those out for sure. I really like Suzannah Lipscombs videos too.

I was expelled for going down in History I'm riddled with irrational prejudices and would probably have been put off by his tattooed media-savvy guy™ image if I hadn't read that book. I've enjoyed a couple of Suzannah Lipscomb videos but haven't read her yet.

shoulders

Yes, I read about the fall of the (Western) Roman Empire and became mildly interested with Majorian who oversaw a brief but sudden, sharp upturn in its fortunes. I'm surprised there hasn't been some sort of series focusing on his reign because its absolutely laced with intrigue, treachery, massive battles, cultural upheaval.

Have previously read about the Byzantine Empire as they taught zero of that in school. It is just Rome - Dark Ages - Vikings - Battle of Hastings. The lack of recognition of economic, social, cultural,  artistic and scientific Eastern dominance for millennia while Western Europe lived in shit might have a tiny part to play in our contemporary bigotry,  actually.

Have read about the things they don't teach you about the British Empire, yes, the huge bad parts.

Read about the Holy Roman Empire and the  fascinating - genuinely - interplay between hundreds of states,  Duchies,  protectorates, free cities etc and the Imperial system. The elector system being a vague way of trying to appoint Emperors with actual talent and abilities which vaguely worked for a while until it became overly dominated by one faction.

Read about 20th century politics in South America, something I would challenge any capitalist or even centrist to do and remain one afterwards.

It's 'just some stuff that's already happened', but the running themes, the occasional astounding fortune or bad luck, the parallels with present day issues and yes,
sometimes battles make it all fascinating to me.

AllisonSays

I teach it, but the jury's out on whether or not I like it

Fambo Number Mive

Very interested in post 1960 British and USA political history. I should read more about political history in other countries but my concentration has really declined in the last few years.

Crenners

One of my favourite things about film is how real life is inadvertently captured through the artifice. 50s Paris no longer exists. 80s HK no longer exists. 70s FOCKIN NYC no longer exists. And yet they live forever in film.

I love the aesthetics, the architecture, the atmosphere. I love the mundane minutiae of what an 80s HK can of Heineken looks like. What jobs did people have that no longer exist?  What clothes did people wear to identify themselves in some unfamiliar way? What struggles did people face that I recognise and which are unfamiliar?

This is another reason why the contemporary Hollywood focus on green screen and generic sets results in films with little character or essence beyond the storyboard. Of course, this captures the ills of our society quite accurately.

TrenterPercenter

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Crenners on August 19, 2022, 08:37:18 AMI love the aesthetics, the architecture, the atmosphere. I love the mundane minutiae of what an 80s HK can of Heineken looks like. What jobs did people have that no longer exist?  What clothes did people wear to identify themselves in some unfamiliar way? What struggles did people face that I recognise and which are unfamiliar?

Yep big fan of this also it's "the frame of reference" isn't it, through the eyes of the ghost on the film and for you the viewer of them.  We've spoken about this before on her but it is a lot to do with film quality, I saw some upscaled footage the other day of some late 19th film at a train station and my frame of ref shifted again as upscaled the individual looked more recognisably modern and relatable.

I also think about this with historical impressions of people and what their lives were really like, it's hard to gain any grasp on this until you are a couple of generations old I think, as you can then personally look back and identify the differences from being there and viewing them retrospectively

There is a really fascinating aspect of neuro-psychology here in that over the course of time most the cells in your body will renew and replace themselves (anything from days to about 16 years) but parts of your brain (and your eye funnily enough) don't, they stay with you for life, this sense of psychological continuation, how memory works, how you switch consciousness off and on and the evolution of thought and how thoughts even work and transfer between individuals are incredible, with the truth being that so far we don't really understand what is going on here.

Buelligan

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on August 19, 2022, 12:52:24 AM[tag]Mobius mentions the funky Gibbon[/tag]

Laughed like a macaque.

I fucking love history.  Reading it and that.  Quite into Heian shit atm, just dipping a toe.  Something I hate, we need that yin and yang, is the films and telly, when they turn it into dog and pony.  I say I hate it, it bothers me.  Thinking about the eager lapping minds and the processed balls being fed.  But then, it's all stories, all shadows.

The Shonky Gibson

finnquark

Quote from: AllisonSays on August 19, 2022, 08:18:37 AMI teach it, but the jury's out on whether or not I like it

Same here. Not sure what level you're teaching, but I find it a bit of a challenge to teach A Level whilst retaining a passion for the stuff.

Jasha

Was never gonna shift as many units as Thriller or Bad

bgmnts

I love history - currently doing my BA in it (OU but still counts fuck you) -but always assumed Gibbon's epic would be a pain in the arse to read.

Saying that, I have listened to Caesar's diaries, Xenophon, and Livy's epic on Roman history all on audible, so I doubt Gibbon will be that difficult.

I know it is a must read but still it's hard innit?

Crenners

Quote from: bgmnts on August 19, 2022, 10:00:52 AMI love history - currently doing my BA in it (OU but still counts fuck you)

OU is a far more robust and challenging course than the vast majority of university degrees. All the best, glad you're enjoying it.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: bgmnts on August 19, 2022, 10:00:52 AMI love history - currently doing my BA in it (OU but still counts fuck you)

Oi I did an OU course it was brilliant - I'd recommend the OU to anyone.

bgmnts

Cheers Crenner. Actually missed final TMA by final week as got caught up in new job. Unsure if I'd say i enjoy it but it's better than vegging out on the xbox all day I suppose.

Fuck do you do with a history degree though? Get paid to look at old stuff?

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 19, 2022, 10:05:38 AMOi I did an OU course it was brilliant - I'd recommend the OU to anyone.

Oh I just assumed people looked down on it? Why do people spend so much effort and koney going to a prestigious university then!? Just connections?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: bgmnts on August 19, 2022, 10:06:29 AMOh I just assumed people looked down on it? Why do people spend so much effort and koney going to a prestigious university then!? Just connections?

Yes it how often well off families can game the employment market.  The two prestigious uni's I went to were both scholarships so I didn't get much choice (and wouldn't have been able to afford to go to otherwise).

Norton Canes

I used to, but it's all in the past

EOLAN

Crenners

Quote from: bgmnts on August 19, 2022, 10:06:29 AMOh I just assumed people looked down on it? Why do people spend so much effort and koney going to a prestigious university then!? Just connections?

Spoiler alert
The quality of teaching and the academic demands of the course do differ significantly across universities. My mate at Leeds (great uni) on the same course as me (Ox) had about a quarter of the workload as I did. Great uni, great course, great city, but he didn't cover anywhere near as much, nor in the same depth.

For some people, it may be about 'prestige' or connections but as much as I couldn't bear so many things about the place and some of the people, it was academically very rewarding and many of the people I had tutorials with were fiercely bright and exciting to spend time with. Without being too soppy, a big part of why I come on here is because many posters are relatively very intelligent and interesting.

That said, both my wife and I were often unhappy there because of the environment and the worst examples of the people. I also think it's a shit city, overpriced, depressing, complacent and touristy. When she did an OU course years later, she absolutely loved it and wished she'd done that first time round. I still hope to at some point but probably after retirement. It was so well-structured and the materials were excellent.

The graduation day was also amazing, seeing all these people who had made enormous sacrifices to get their degree while working full-time with kids and caring for family members and managing disabilities and any number of unimaginable challenges. Massively, massively inspiring and moving, one of the most joyful days of my life. I'm an enormous advocate for the OU. Really pleased for you that you're doing it and, trust me, nobody who knows anything can look down on that course.
[close]

Cuellar

Yeah History is good, like all the history really. Ancient Egypt, American Civil War, Bronze Age Collapse, Cold War spies, anything really.

Still spend circa 90% of my time wanking and playing video games though.

Sex Wax

I done my degree in it at a 'proper' uni (well, Lincoln) and every single module bar one about the origins of the Goths was tiresome Victorian England shite. Corn laws, South Sea Bubbles, Wesleyans, boring boring crap. Friend doing a OU degree at the minute gets some fab modules about Roman sanitation, early modern medicine, and my favourite, Interpersonal Violence from 1500-1970. So yes OU seems like the better shout.

Incidentally, anybody looking to study an off-the-beaten-track period of history should look into Norman Sicily, the entire period is ridiculous and fascinating. You have figures straight out of some mental Cornwell fiction, like the bloodthirsty Byzantine giant George Maniakes and Robert the Guiscard (old French for 'Sneaky Cunt') engaged in constant intrigue and shenanigans, and at the end of it you get a stable, multicultural, religiously tolerant kingdom that pumped out some of the most incredible art and learning of the 20th century. John Julius Norwich's two volume account is an excellent place to start, and I'll stop shilling now.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Mobius on August 19, 2022, 12:21:48 AMAs I get older (I'm 35) I find myself spending less time wanking

Mr Vegetables

I find history really interesting, but it's made the world even more depressing to me, because instead of all its horrible attrocities taking place in a box labelled "the past" I now sort of get they take place in, well, the same world I live in, where I go to the shops and eat beans.

I'd definitely seen it almost as just an aesthetic rather than things that actually happened, then had to go "oh shit, all this actually happened!" I'm just admitting that because I think it's an extremely embarrassing thing that a lot of people possibly go through. Maybe they don't, of course, and it's just us idiots who do.