Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:23:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Disco Elysium: The Final Cut

Started by Mobius, March 30, 2021, 04:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

I did get this a week ago and for the main part, it's been great, but it's a bit buggy - with one particular bug preventing me from finishing a quest:
Spoiler alert
there seems no way of interacting with the sandcastle to get the gloves from the suit of armour.
[close]

kidney

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 10, 2021, 11:45:26 AM
I did get this a week ago and for the main part, it's been great, but it's a bit buggy - with one particular bug preventing me from finishing a quest:

Yeah The Final Cut has some awkward issues. At key points it seems the game will softlock if Kim isn't with you, forcing you to quit out and reload a previous save.
My friend playing Disco Elysium for the first time got locked out of finishing a particularly important quest which then fucked him up on subsequent days, almost ruining his playthrough.
Spoiler alert
The game would lock up during the meeting with the woman that has your gun, seemingly because Kim was absent which broke the conversation. But as it's a one-off scheduled meeting he couldn't just skip it and try again the next day when Kim is back.
[close]

The Culture Bunker

I pretty much save every five minutes anyways, after a number of crashes/freezes. It's a bit of a shame as it spoils what is otherwise an excellent adventure game - playing the main character as slightly repentant, staying off the booze/drugs and helping out the normal people. I like the relationship between him and Kim, very well written.

Music from my Cumbrian brothers British Sea Power too, which is nice.

St_Eddie

:/

I just purchased this game on GOG, now I'm reading about bugs and glitches.  Have I wasted my money?

Zetetic

No.

Not least because they're continuing to patch it. "The Final Cut" update - which does seem to have introduced a few new bugs, in the process of introducing full voicing and new quest-lines presumably, came out 11 days ago and a year-and-a-half after the initial release (and I think there's been a patch since then) if that gives some sense of the commitment to ongoing support.

And even with the bugs and glitches, it's worth £30.

Mobius

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 11, 2021, 12:23:05 AM
:/

I just purchased this game on GOG, now I'm reading about bugs and glitches.  Have I wasted my money?

I haven't had a single bug or crash with the PC version and I've put tons of hours in this week. I believe all the issues are console based.

The Culture Bunker

There was a sizeable patch on the PS4 version a couple of days ago - weirdly, the random crashes seem to have got worse for me since then, but that might be because I'm further into the game. I am considering putting it aside until they get the problems resolved.

Ham Bap

Got this on the PS5. Played a bit last week, was going to restart again as I didn't know what I was doing.
But going to wait for more patches that they're working on.

From reading Reddit and ResetEra a lot of people are having issues with bugs, some workarounds but I don't want to play the game and get stuck on something and not know if it's something I'm not doing or a bug. Then read up on a possible workaround and spoil the game for myself.

The game seems great but sick of bugs and crap like this. They've rushed this out before testing.

The Culture Bunker

Yeah, I've had two quests where it crashes unless to do some very specific actions. I just Googled the quest name and bugs to get solutions, but it's a bit poor to say the least. Annoying because I know I should wait till it's patched, but I want to know what happens next.

It took me a fair while to work out how everything worked too. I understanding not wanting to hold the players hand, but just a basic overview of the controls would have been useful, and explaining all the circle/dots that appear around the character every now and then.

ArchieGemmel

I finished this on Thursday and overall loved it but hit a bug with the car that's in the water which meant that I couldn't retrieve a couple of items that I needed to finish some side-quests which was a little annoying. There is a workaround for the bug with
Spoiler alert
The Pigs, instead of walking to them you can zoom out the view and move the cursor onto them and click them and Harry will make his way over to them and trigger the proper conversation.
[close]

I didn't really explore the Thought Cabinet because it seemed like internalizing the thoughts generally had a negative impact on your stats. It might be that I didn't fully understand it as the game doesn't really explain many of the mechanics as someone has already mentioned.

I felt like the ending I got was one of the 'best' that you can get in a playthrough though so was happy with that. I listened to the Watch Out For Fireballs episode after it's impressive how many different ways there are to finish the game. I am very much looking forward to whatever the studio do next now.

The Culture Bunker

The bug
Spoiler alert
regarding the Pigs
[close]
is on the PS4 version too, and obviously you can't use that workaround. That was one of those that I had to look up - seems you have
Spoiler alert
to just keep holding the left stick to move forward when she starts talking to you.
[close]

I'm up to Thursday afternoon and realised I've spent a bit too much time on side quests and almost forgot there was a murder to solve. Got too involved in
Spoiler alert
helping the kids set up their club
[close]
before realising "oh yeah, those union guys I need to talk to".

ArchieGemmel

I played on PS5 and was able to do the thing with
Spoiler alert
The Pigs
[close]
. When you use L1 to highlight the interactable objects nearby you should be able to 'click' onto them.
Spoiler alert
You need to be standing next to the fence just in front of them though so it doesn't automatically trigger the dialogue when you get close to them.
[close]

I got stuck with the club side-quest.
Spoiler alert
I thought I'd done everything I needed to for Soona but when I spoke to her or the kids it didn't give me any new options.
[close]
Which is a shame as when I looked up how it finishes there was some fun stuff that happens.

It is easily done to get sucked into one of the side stories and ignore what you're meant to do. I was surprised at how funny I found a lot of it. Several points had me properly laughing out loud. I can't think of any games off the top of my head where that's happened.

Ham Bap

New patch, 1.3 just came out on PlayStation.
They're working on another patch. Will see if this one fixes bugs that stop mission completion before diving in.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: ArchieGemmel on April 12, 2021, 11:38:29 AMIt is easily done to get sucked into one of the side stories and ignore what you're meant to do. I was surprised at how funny I found a lot of it. Several points had me properly laughing out loud. I can't think of any games off the top of my head where that's happened.
Yes, I agree. Kim's deadpan delivery really brought on a few laughs for me, especially as you can tell he's actually getting into all these side investigations - kudos to the voiceover bod there.

brat-sampson

More voiced Kim lines is probably reason alone for me to replay this whole dang thing at some stage.

The Culture Bunker

Glad that today's patch fixed the sandcastle bug. Shame I chose to be a thinker rather than a fighter so
Spoiler alert
I probably won't get to punch anybody with my new power gloves.
[close]

Zetetic

Quote from: Mobius on March 31, 2021, 09:38:51 PM
It's one of those rare games that are actually funny too. Some of the dialogue is hilarious.

Quote from: ArchieGemmel on April 12, 2021, 11:38:29 AMI was surprised at how funny I found a lot of it. Several points had me properly laughing out loud. I can't think of any games off the top of my head where that's happened.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 12, 2021, 01:53:48 PM
Yes, I agree. Kim's deadpan delivery really brought on a few laughs for me, especially as you can tell he's actually getting into all these side investigations - kudos to the voiceover bod there.

It's so pleasing to see other people getting this out of it.

Quote from: ArchieGemmel on April 12, 2021, 11:38:29 AM
It is easily done to get sucked into one of the side stories and ignore what you're meant to do.
I think one of its strengths is that it mostly manages the pacing and the pressure on player pretty well, in terms of letting side stories unfold and you not feeling like you're breaking the story.

I've been playing Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire recently and it has a really painful tension between the urgency of the critical path (which is sort of setup as a chase) and letting the player explore the setting. (Which it then compounds by making the setting huge, imposing extremely frequent loading pauses between areas, and having quests involve travelling all over the place.)

AllisonSays

It's one of the problems of the genre isn't it. Both Baldur's Gates have a similar thing where they set you up with a really urgent central problem but encourage you to, like, go and help someone find their lost donkey at the same time. Making the protagonist a confused, dissolute alcoholic is quite good way to resolve the tension I think!

ArchieGemmel

Quote from: Zetetic on April 12, 2021, 07:13:59 PM
It's so pleasing to see other people getting this out of it.

I think one of its strengths is that it mostly manages the pacing and the pressure on player pretty well, in terms of letting side stories unfold and you not feeling like you're breaking the story.

Agreed, making you wait for certain characters to be available to get more information, or having to have discovered new bits of evidence to get them to open up feels more natural and makes you want to see what else you can discover. There was a little bit of annoying toing and froing from the island back to the city but fortunately it doesn't take too much time.

The Culture Bunker - I put all my stats into Intellect but was still able to knockout
Spoiler alert
Measurehead
[close]
. I just had to put a couple of points into Physical Instrument and wear certain bits of clothing with the right stat boosts.

I found the
Spoiler alert
friendship
[close]
that developed between
Spoiler alert
Harry and Kim
[close]
throughout the game to be very satisfying.
Spoiler alert
Something happened right at the end of the game that made me so pleased about how I'd played it.
[close]

Ham Bap

Another patch, 1.4, just dropped on PlayStation.

Mobius

I clocked this the other day.

Really really loved it. Hilarious, well written and all the investigative stuff was well done. Kim is an ace character, really likeable.

Probably the only things I'd complain about are

- quite a bit of loading screens for a small game. Some of the rooms you transition into are so tiny you think, did that need a loading screen? Fast travel is not great, and there's a fair bit of just running from 1 end of the map to the other, then back again and again as you learn new little bits.

- I know it's part of the game but dying of lack of health or morale because your character got sad looking at something, or a dice roll failed is a bit annoying? Sometimes your health or morale can get hit twice in 1 conversation, then you're done. More auto-saves would probably help. Had a few times where I had to replay an hour of really text heavy stuff.

- having to back out of a conversation and put some different trousers on to increase the success chance of a bit of dialogue by 13% is a bit frustrating. I think I'd prefer for the stat bonuses to be passive, just seems a bit immersion breaking to be 10 minutes into a really detailed in-depth conversation, only to have to say "that's all for now" go into your inventory faf about unequipping shit then speak to the same guy and pick the conversation back up wearing new clothes. Again I know that failing checks is part of the experience... but imagine you missed out on a funny Kim interaction because you had the wrong hat on?

Overall though, a hugely unique and different experience to most games. Love the style and setting, love mostly all of the characters. Can't really comprehend the effort that went into writing all of the dialogue and lore and all that. The different outcomes of conversations and how they are referred to by other characters, how the protagonist will reference something you said 20 hours ago... must have required a lot of plotting. Very cool.

ArchieGemmel

Quote from: Mobius on April 13, 2021, 11:06:14 PM
- quite a bit of loading screens for a small game. Some of the rooms you transition into are so tiny you think, did that need a loading screen? Fast travel is not great, and there's a fair bit of just running from 1 end of the map to the other, then back again and again as you learn new little bits.

Definitley agree here. Without sounding too much like a PS5 wanker it was weird going from Demons Souls which reloads almost instantly to this where you have to wait a bit to go from one part of a building to another was a little odd.

Also agree with what you said about the clothes. They made it possible to add points to a stat in the middle of a conversation so why not let you switch clothes as well? I had to swap what I was wearing quite a bit in the end game.

These are both minor niggles though. I have a couple of friends who are playing it but think they both wanted to wait till the bugs were patched out so have been itching to talk to people about how good it is.

Zetetic

The clothes thing feels like a common silliness for this sort of RPG, but it's made more prominent by the - otherwise very neat - Red/White Check system.

darth andy

I walked everywhere in this game on my first playthough on PC, before they added a patch that made single mouse click run, loved soaking up the atmosphere just strolling around. Was quite strange then on a chat with Kim when he said he was confused why I ran everywhere

sevendaughters

sorry for the bump but I bought, played, ditched because of bugs, went back and found it now bugless, and subsequently clocked this. Probably started to rush through the last third of it so I didn't do all I wanted, so I will do it again one day. One of the best games I've ever played!

elliszeroed

Sorry for the bump. But there is a free 'professional' fan-translation of the novel this was based on, Sacred and Terrible Air available, in the online ether if anyone is inteREsteD in IT.

I hope I have been subtle enough.

bgmnts

Quote from: elliszeroed on January 25, 2024, 06:47:24 PMSorry for the bump. But there is a free 'professional' fan-translation of the novel this was based on, Sacred and Terrible Air available, in the online ether if anyone is inteREsteD in IT.

I hope I have been subtle enough.

Hat fucked!

Is there a bastard sequel to this coming out then? Really want a sequel.

Schlippy

Unlikely, ZA/UM were royally fucked over by venture capital vultures (cruelly ironic, no?) and the three leads basically responsible for the game turfed out. Think Robert Kurvitz (lead writer & designer) has said that their next endeavour wasn't going to be in games anyway, tho that may have come after the split.

The filth who now own the studio may try and milk the name for some pennies, but we won't see this game's like again, alas. Gutting.

Mister Six

There's a lawsuit in progress, though, we'll see how it turns out in the long run.