Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:43:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Elden Ring

Started by Chedney Honks, June 10, 2021, 02:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

Name one (1) game with good graphics in the last 3 years you can't

Fishfinger

Fry

Chedney Honks

51 Worldwide Games

I just finally watched the trailer and I'm surprised that I was actually quite blown away by the enemy designs and environments and I think it looks and sounds very cool. I didn't really like DS3 after the initial playthrough, Sekiro is a jumbled mess of brilliance and unfinished elements and mechanics that jar with the strengths of the game. I no longer feel great excitement for FROM games as I did five years ago but this looks like it could be up there. It's probably more DS3 in aesthetics but there's also a lot of weird and goofy and some quite spooky shit there, which I didn't expect. It does look and sound like an amalgamation of the last ten years of FROM Soft, with a dash of open world traversal, and I will really look forward to it.

Do I wish it were next-gen only? No, because I want more people to have the chance to play it over me getting console ray tracing or whatever. Maybe it'll get a PS5 patch next summer, who knows?

Fishfinger

Quote from: Fry on June 10, 2021, 09:55:29 PM
Shit graphics

No. At launch, in late 2018, on a PS4 it was brilliant.

Fishfinger

Quote from: Chedney Honks on June 10, 2021, 09:59:37 PM
I no longer feel great excitement for FROM games as I did five years ago

Yeah. I sold Sekiro after, what, 2-3 weeks and I've never done that before. I hope it's a solid 100 hours thing with co-op.

Thursday

Yeah I just sort of feel nothing with this, I'm sure I'll playing it day 1, but I think Sekiro killed my enthusiasm for Fromsoft's formula. I could just never quite click with that game, one of the big problems was when you get one of those perilous, I always struggled to read the attack animations so I would never quite be confident in how I should be reacting. It felt like a quick time event where I was having to guess which button to press.

I imagine I'll enjoy this more because build variety means you can make a boss slightly easier for yourself than intended where Sekiro made no allowances for that. At the same time, it's just Dark Souls with a horse innit? I'm fine with that it's a bit rich of people to sneer when there's been relatively few of these by video game standards, but I was still hoping for something more different.

As said on twitter, it's weird how Fromsoft brought in George R.R. Martin and he went "Hey you should do something like Dark Souls."

brat-sampson

It's Open Souls World Borne. Looks like they've pulled it off.

Cuellar

The Crumb

Liked that bits of it gave a vibe of building off dark souls 2.
Liked the idea of having a bit more stealth and dangerous areas to sneak through.
The horse looked a bit weird, that spring up the cliff was goofy.
The verticality is nice, the seemingly rubber bones of the player character is weird.
The castle bit towards the end gave me a jaded DS3 feel.
The clipping when they were talking to the pot guy was pretty bad for 2021.
Overall, it looks like they've done the thing they do good and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, diminishing returns factor be damned.

Cuellar

Actually the more I watch of that the less interested I get.

oggyraiding

I'm torn. I like the idea of an open world full of hidden caves and structures to explore, but it's easy to fuck up open world games. Really hope it's not full of generic indistinct dungeons like Skyrim. The new magic spells look cool, so does the spirit summoning thing. I would have rather them gone down the Demon's Souls route of having several 'worlds', each with several levels. That way they can have better area variety without having shit like an upwards elevator in a poison windmill leading to a lava castle. Day one buy anyway, Soulsbornes are excellent games to play while listening to a podcast.

madhair60

Jerzy Bondov

It does not 'look shit' it looks like Dark Souls but you have a springy horse and there's a big pot with arms and legs

The Crumb

My immersion was broken and my suspension of disbelief was ruined when a lift went up to a lava castle. Fucking preposterous.

Chollis

25th February 2022? have fucking flying cars before this comes out

The Crumb

Quote from: Chollis on November 04, 2021, 04:17:12 PM
25th February 2022? have fucking flying cars before this comes out

But not a finished version of Cyberpunk

madhair60

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 04, 2021, 04:13:29 PM
It does not 'look shit' it looks like Dark Souls but you have a springy horse and there's a big pot with arms and legs

Crouch in long grass, craft arrows then climb a Ubisoft tower? looks fucking shit pal. FROMsoft on their arseholes.

Jerzy Bondov

I fucking hope it has a tailing mission that's what I hope. Eavesdrop on a goblin with a spike through its head.

Cuellar

Has anyone ever enjoyed riding a horse in a game? Be honest now.

Chollis

Quote from: Cuellar on November 04, 2021, 04:25:56 PM
Has anyone ever enjoyed riding a horse in a game? Be honest now.

was actually tearing round the rolling hills of ancient Greece in Odyssey last night thinking about how much I love riding horses in games, cunt

Cuellar

Chedney Honks

I hate horses in games, even in BotW and RDR. Not as much as I hate them in real life. Not watched this but I'll be getting it day one, probably gonna be in the Network Test unlike any of you.

AngryGazelle

Those graphics are awful - the game could still be really good but I'm disappointed in the visuals.

Cuellar

The whole thing looks like a Dark Souls 3 mod. Worn out.

I hate it and I'm never playing it.

Mobius

I think it looks fun I like open world games and I hope it has an Easy Mode thanks

druss

Quote from: The Crumb on November 04, 2021, 04:14:02 PM
My immersion was broken and my suspension of disbelief was ruined when a lift went up to a lava castle. Fucking preposterous.
Is this a Dark Souls 2 joke or was it actually in the video?

Inspector Norse

I like the Souls games and I like open world games but not sure how well I think they will fit together. Part of the joy of open world games is being able to load them up for some relaxing exploration time just riding around seeing what's round corners, and in the Souls games what's round corners usually kills you fourteen times before you figure out what to do with it. Could be frustrating having this massive open world with interesting stuff that you have to repeatedly beat loads of tricky enemies to access when you just want to go in a tavern with corny medieval style music and sell the innkeeper some junk and pick up a fetch quest.

The jumping horse looked a bit weird but the map feature looked handy.

I liked the way the skeleton in the catacombs doffed its cap to you before attacking. Like Dark Souls Marquess of Queensbury style.

Thursday

Some of this does look cool, although it's weird to see a fromsoft game do "hide in long grass to sneak past enemies" and crafting. Not inherently bad, just big video game cliches at this point.

Will be interesting to see how death and respawning works in this, as it's kind of a crucial mechanic. I'm guessing maybe there's some specifics they're still balancing, because they avoided showing anything on that. I think it has to be less punishing than a typical fromsoft game, while still adding more tension than the instant reload of other open world games.