Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:49:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Elden Ring

Started by Chedney Honks, June 10, 2021, 02:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

I hope anyone mainstream hates this because FROM are too hardcore and underground and they can't take it.

The Crumb

Quote from: Thursday on November 05, 2021, 09:41:41 AM
Some of this does look cool, although it's weird to see a fromsoft game do "hide in long grass to sneak past enemies" and crafting. Not inherently bad, just big video game cliches at this point.

Sekiro had both of these things and it was good.

Thursday

Yeah, it's just something about it felt very ubisoft the way it was shown in the trailer.

Cuellar

Thursday

brat-sampson

The actor Kevin Eldenring

H-O-W-L

Does look worryingly close to DS3 to me in terms of how things look and move. Really not in favor of that, since I think DS3 was the shittest because everything was so fast and floaty.

Ferris

That looks absolutely rotten. Tedious shit for dweebs.

Pass.

Chedney Honks

I haven't loved a FROM game since BB. DS3 had some good stuff but it's basically a hack and slash for entry level wankers. Sekiro was brilliant in some ways, but full of cookie cutter shit, like skill trees and unlockable moves. It was also very very narrow, a replay is basically identical to the first run. Also, the QTE elements of combat never felt truly reliable or consistent. I don't look fondly on either of these games and have no interest in ever going back to them.

This looks like it will have some cool visual design and lots more brilliant stuff stolen from Berserk. I've absolutely no interest in fighting on horseback, though.

bgmnts

I wonder what the genre will be officially called after the term Soulsborne or whatever it is will be done?

Like how Doomclone became first person shooter.

Thursday

Bloody love Soulsbornekiroring games me.

bgmnts

Had a dream night before about this game I just remembered, and that it was going to be about finding pieces of this elden ring and the items would be called ringpieces and you have to put together all the ringpieces and it says "Put your finger in the ring?"

I dont know why I dreamt this but this I hope is the game.

Cuellar

Few people streaming their goes at the 'network test'(?) on twitch at the moment.

Looks gubbins.

Junglist

I was in the network test. Its absolutely fucking amazing.

Chedney Honks

I totally forgot about the network test and I'm away for the weekend having a big cuntathon.

Thursday

Yep I played for the full 3 hours and thought that was alright... definitely not thinking about running it again for the 3am session, that would be silly hahaha.....

Chedney Honks

Cuellar

Saw a bit of a guy fighting a big fella that just looked liked they'd plonked the Nameless King's head and sword onto one of those big headless cunts that wander around in The Ringed City DLC from DS3.

Chedney Honks

Fuck's sake, that sounds shit. Why they bother

Thursday

Oh I've seen clips that shows there's a lot of reuse going on. The giant crabs from DS3 are in there.

I was kind of disappointed when I saw that, but I've also started to accept this for what it is. It's not what I would have wanted. But a big open world style mash up of all the Souls games along with bits of Bloodborne and Sekiro. I'm up for that. It's going to be much bigger than any previous Souls games so it's not going to be as carefully crafted and completely original throughout.

I get the feeling of weariness towards that, I was feeling it too, but then I started to think "Am I trying too hard to be contrarian here." I feel like when people play it, that weariness will start to fall away. For me at least, I know the game is going to get it's hooks into me. It's not going to bring back the highs that your first Souls game and Bloodborne brought, but I think the open world and exploration is going to bring something unique to the table, even if it is going to copy and paste bits of old Souls games in there.

Now that I think about it, the word "patchwork" comes to mind. That's what I'm hoping for, the potential that because it's so big it'll basically go through every single idea in the canon, as well as some new ideas of it's own.

Cold Meat Platter

I hear there's a sword.

Chedney Honks

They've been using the same animations since Demon's. It's part of the feel and character of these games.

Cold Meat Platter

brat-sampson

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 13, 2021, 06:20:38 AM
Is there a shield?

Only if you're a wimp. Big ol' 2-handed fuckoff club and bash all the freakos to mush.

Y'all can say what you want, but we're all going to buy it, play the shit out of it and be talking about the bosses for *years*.

Cold Meat Platter

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Chedney Honks on November 13, 2021, 04:23:20 AM
They've been using the same animations since Demon's. It's part of the feel and character of these games.
Same old bunch of hacks

... and slashes.

bgmnts

Quote from: brat-sampson on November 13, 2021, 09:01:21 AM
Only if you're a wimp. Big ol' 2-handed fuckoff club and bash all the freakos to mush.

Y'all can say what you want, but we're all going to buy it, play the shit out of it and be talking about the bosses for *years*.

I'm not.

Thursday

Weird thread this. Lots of people feeling the need to weigh in on a game they aren't interested in?

Chedney Honks

I sympathise, I generally prefer to just enjoy the thing these days than share my thoughts on here. Hope you had fun with the network test.