Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:17:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Coren's a wrongun

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, July 23, 2021, 05:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 23, 2021, 02:38:00 PM
Reading that, it's striking how mild what she said about him was. It wasn't a long diatribe about the evils of nepotism or a claim that he's an evil, talentless bully, just a lighthearted remark: "Giles Coren: a prime example of how the 'if I've heard of yer da, I don't need to hear from you' rule holds for almost every man bar Jesus." If a rightwinger said that about someone else, Coren would doubtless defend it as a joke.

Looks like she might've also called him out for defending a sex pest which probably stung more but was something he probably didn't want to draw attention to:

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 23, 2021, 02:24:10 PM
Doesn't Coren have really bad anger issues and he wrote a book about it?

Yes, 'Anger Management for Beginners'. Fitfully amusing.

If you click on the Amazon preview you can read his infamous email to his sub-editors (with his added commentary) after they altered his copy without his permission https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anger-Management-Beginners-Giles-Coren/dp/1444706888

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 23, 2021, 02:38:00 PM
Reading that, it's striking how mild what she said about him was. It wasn't a long diatribe about the evils of nepotism or a claim that he's an evil, talentless bully, just a lighthearted remark: "Giles Coren: a prime example of how the 'if I've heard of yer da, I don't need to hear from you' rule holds for almost every man bar Jesus." If a rightwinger said that about someone else, Coren would doubtless defend it as a joke.

I saw it suggested that there were other tweets from her, but as those haven't come to light, probably not.

Leaving aside her tweet doesn't make sense across the board, it was obviously meant to rile him because he's so over-sensitive over the nepotism charges.

Echo Valley 2-6809

^  An insanely angry over-reaction that he should have bottled up, I should add, in case people think I'm blindly defending him.

Anyway, I think he's not over the death of his father, and is over-sensitive of any mention of his dad that he sees as disrespectful.

Take this, for example, Coren v Guardian journalist Michael White - probably the maddest of his deleted Twitter spats, although his opener still makes me laugh:

Sebastian Cobb

MoreauVasz

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 23, 2021, 12:25:58 PM
Or it could be an attempt at a sort of shock humour? Like when Rhys Ifans of Notting Hill fame went on radio a few years ago and said the reason people want to fuck kids is because they're so fucking sexy, or something like that. Attention seeking.

I took it to be a reflection of the fact that he couldn't conceptualise spending time with a woman other than in the context of trying to shag her.

So he could understand going for a romantic holiday with a woman but when placed in a similar situation with his under-age daughter, his mind immediately went to viewing his interactions with her through a veil of romance and sexual frisson.

Basically it's a similar mindset to the blokes at work who think their female co-workers fancy them simply because they are nice and pay attention to them.

idunnosomename

I find it funnier how the guy just quotes back "this old cunt" completely unphased

Echo Valley 2-6809

Probably goes without saying that Coren would have known who White was.

White used to insult him occasionally in his columns by calling him "hereditary humorist" and "hereditary pundit".

He also alleged that Coren had privately described a female work colleague as a "rancid bag of cunt cheese".

Sebastian Cobb

Being a sweary hack is a cliche in itself really isn't it. We all know they swear like dockers outside their articles so being a bit sweary in them is not exactly special.

I will, if I'm being honest say although Coren isn't very good at swearing he's still a lot better at it than Ian Dunt.

The Rhys Ifans incident that checkoutgirl brought up is funny:

QuoteIfans was compere at the Voice of Slavery concert staged at the Forum venue in London's Kentish Town.

The concert, organised by charities Stop the Traffik and Anti-Slavery International, featured pop acts Razorlight and Supergrass.

The controversy came when Ifans told the crowd: "Why is paedophilia so popular? Because kids are so f*****g sexy".

But his "joke" did not go down well with an audience sympathetic to the charities' aims of abolishing child slavery and prostitution.

Ifans' publicist Pip Gill said last night: "Rhys was there fully supporting a cause that helped make a lot of money.

"He did crack a joke. But it was a misjudgement and it came across worse to some people due to the fact it was an event about slavery.

At a glance I thought this was a James Corden cancellation thread.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on July 23, 2021, 03:29:30 PM

ffs.

It kind of reminds me of that grim lads mag debacle where Danny Dyer suggested to some lovelorn boyfriend that he should cut the face of the woman he fancied... although I suspect Dyer might've just flogged his name to the mag for that and it was written by someone else, but he had to pretend he had said it and apologise.

Goldentony

Quote from: MoreauVasz on July 23, 2021, 01:39:06 PM
It's such a weird phenomenon

it goes back centuries, all royal families and that sect of inbred cunts need anus runoff hanging about the court spending money and beating staff up

Cuellar

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on July 23, 2021, 03:29:30 PM

Jesus christ! I briefly thought Rhys Ifans was gay and going out with this man

because we were watching Drag Race Espana and my girlfriend said he was going out with 'that Welsh one, you know' and I just said 'what Rhys Ifans' and she said 'yes! That's the one'. Of course it wasn't true and he was going out with Luke Evans.

But can you imagine.

Anyway, there was something in the OP about Rod Liddle, and I remember seeing an article he wrote about deciding not to teach at a girls' secondary schools because he didn't trust himself not to try and have sex with the kids.

Brundle-Fly

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on July 23, 2021, 03:02:18 PM
Anyway, I think he's not over the death of his father, and is over-sensitive of any mention of his dad that he sees as disrespectful.

Not half. He had a spat with Luke Haines a few years back after he'd criticised a sneery Coren piece about Kentish Town. When Haines mentioned 'daddy's trust fund' Coren immediately overreacted hilariously.

He also exposed himself on one of his alt-accounts on Twitter the other day while defending himself. When the person he was arguing with mentioned daddy's wealth, he answered that he'd made it all off his own back, forgetting he was still logged in as the racist skiing lady. He must've been drunk as fuck as he didn't seem to realise his mistake and made another couple of cover-blowing posts. I can't check Twitter at the moment, but the account has nearly 12k followers. Julie Burchill followed 'her' recently, lol.

Edit: it's 'Joanne' and the handle is happy_humbug.

Gurke and Hare

To be fair to Giles, Michael White's a tosser too.

Neomod

To be honest I'm surprised Coren hasn't been lamped at least once for this shit.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 23, 2021, 04:39:12 PM

Yes that was an exchange featuring two cunts of completely different tone.

Icehaven

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on July 23, 2021, 11:51:28 AM

Hadn't heard the oral sex bit (and I'd be interested to see a quote)

It was an Esquire article 'Dear Kitty' about 10 years ago, it's referred to in this discussion
https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/esquire-magazine-disturbing-article/

It was ostensibly advice for his baby daughter and he wrote something like he can't stand "imagining some teenage boy licking yoghurt off her snatch." Totally grim and uneccessary. Apparently there's other bits where he speculates on her body when she's older that are a bit weird too. I'll try and find the actual article but it might have been expunged.
I mean I don't think he's a paedophile or anything at all, he's just weirdly at ease using sexual terms when writing about his infant daughter. Maybe he just doesn't see it, maybe he's half cut when he writes this crap, fuck knows.

Endicott

Quote from: icehaven on July 23, 2021, 04:59:14 PM
It was an Esquire article 'Dear Kitty' about 10 years ago, it's referred to in this discussion
https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/esquire-magazine-disturbing-article/

Quite funny reading another forum and they have their own memes.

I am outraged.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 23, 2021, 04:39:12 PM

Famously got into a fist fight with Alastair Campbell, who had punched White after he laughed about Maxwell's death a few hours after the body was found.

Quote from: Cuellar on July 23, 2021, 03:53:43 PM
Anyway, there was something in the OP about Rod Liddle, and I remember seeing an article he wrote about deciding not to teach at a girls' secondary schools because he didn't trust himself not to try and have sex with the kids.

He's got previous of course:

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 23, 2021, 04:47:05 PM
Yes that was an exchange featuring two cunts of completely different tone.

There's also this exchange that was probably hidden in the timeline - although the Coren reply looks a bit too incoherent to be real. But maybe he was punching the keys by that stage.

chveik

Quote from: icehaven on July 23, 2021, 04:59:14 PM
II mean I don't think he's a paedophile or anything at all,

it's something to consider at least

Chedney Honks

Surely you can't be that thin skinned without being desperately unhappy?

I hope so, anyway!

😂😂😂

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: waste of chops on July 23, 2021, 05:22:13 PM

His comment about not being able to be a teacher because he wouldn't be able to resist having sex with the pupils was obviously a stir-up-the-bourgeoisie-ah-you-didn't-expect-that joke. A boring shit one, but still.

I think he was criticising the law in that Guardian article - something about the absurdity of Pete Townshend's defence and the police's position on it.

Coincidence corner: both Liddle and Coren have been rumbled posting dodgy 'satire' using sock puppet accounts.

Endicott

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on July 23, 2021, 05:22:01 PM
Famously got into a fist fight with Alastair Campbell, who had punched White after he laughed about Maxwell's death a few hours after the body was found.

Cap'n Bob, bob, bob.

Quote from: waste of chops on July 23, 2021, 05:22:13 PM

Not interested - that article is more than 18 years old.

mippy

Quote from: shiftwork2 on July 23, 2021, 09:20:45 AM
That both Corens enjoyed a lucrative and successful media career from their mid-twenties onwards kind of suggests there's more than talent at play. It also appears that the boy one is extraordinarily sensitive about it.

VC had a column in, IIRC, The Times when she was 15, because they wanted a teenager's view on life. So not even that late.