Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:53:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Skull - New Predator Film

Started by Malcy, July 28, 2021, 04:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Apparently this is already being filmed and is set before the first Predator film.

QuoteThe main character this time – beyond the alien creature, of course – will be a woman who encounters a Predator on its first journey to Earth, the story taking place before the original film.

"It goes back to what made the original Predator movie work," says Davis. "It's the ingenuity of a human being who won't give up, who's able to observe and interpret, basically being able to beat a stronger, more powerful, well-armed force.

"It actually has more akin to The Revenant than it does any film in the Predator canon. You'll know what I mean once you see it. You can use your imagination. It is... early."

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/dan-trachtenberg-predator-movie-is-called-skull-and-he-already-shooting-it/

Do we need another already? I wish they would wait and come up with a really good idea first. I enjoyed the last one but can barely remember anything about it as it was just so run of the mill.

Glebe

Thought the last one was shite.

madhair60

why the fuck is a film that's a very generous three stars at best getting so many sequels, prequels and reboots. who wants all these Predator movies.

bgmnts

Nah what made the first Predator film work was a cool fuck off alien design, a badass team of clichéd grunts, Arnie and some good action and gore.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I assume the thinking from the studio types is that the previous one was such a flop that they can simply pretend that it didn't happen - much like with the last Terminator one.

With so much anger in the air these days, I feel like there is some scope for social satire, based on the idea from the first two films about the Predators being drawn to areas of conflict. Have them arrive en masse in gun toting America.

Also, I find the title problematic.

Spiteface

Okay, seeing that the protagonist is a woman...

How long before a shitload of Youtubers who think "Beard + Outrage = Personality" will start shitting themselves that Predator's gone "woke" now?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Spiteface on July 28, 2021, 04:51:19 PM
Okay, seeing that the protagonist is a woman...

How long before a shitload of Youtubers who think "Beard + Outrage = Personality" will start shitting themselves that Predator's gone "woke" now?

There are already people questioning the direction that they're taking this new movie in and there have been ever since it was announced several months ago (this thread is rather behind the times).  I wouldn't say that those voices are being entirely unreasonable.  An entry into one of the most macho, testosterone fulled action series, about a teenage Native American woman rising up against the patriarchy doesn't exactly seem like the most natural fit.  It does seem a bit like trying to put a square peg into a round hole.  Doesn't mean it won't be good of course, but I can see why some are raising their eyebrow over the chosen direction, without it nessercerily meaning that they're vile misogynists.

Dusty Substance

Given the premise, why isn't Jennifer Kent directing this film? It basically sounds like The Nightingale with an actual Predator.

The only way to do a good Predator film again is to make it R/18 rated which seems highly unlikely to ever happen.

It could happen. Your John Wicks and Deadpools have shown there is a healthy market for that sort of thing.

What it really needs is to be played with a completely straight face[nb]Which does make Deadpool a poor example, admittedly[/nb]. No winking to the audience or undermining the situation with quips (except at the beginning, when the characters don't know how screwed they are).

Shit Good Nose

Spoiler alert
Supposedly set during the American civil war and will no doubt feature the gun Danny Glover is given at the end of 2.
[close]

The Predator was indeed dogshit.  Abysmal. 

Me and Mrs Nose revisited Predators recently, first time since we saw it at the cinema.  A lot better than we both remembered it.

I think this has potential.

Is this an image you associate with unpleasantness?

Don't answer that.

The Predator isn't just naff, it's bizarrely naff. Did Shane Black have an anvil land on his head or something?

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 28, 2021, 06:33:11 PM
Spoiler alert
Supposedly set during the American civil war and will no doubt feature the gun Danny Glover is given at the end of 2.
[close]
It's a long time since I've seen it, but I thought that was
Spoiler alert
a pirate's gun.
[close]

mothman

I tried to watch The P at the weekend, gave up after five minutes. Perversely it was probably the autistic child that put me off.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 28, 2021, 06:52:49 PM
Is this an image you associate with unpleasantness?

Yes.  Aliens.

QuoteIt's a long time since I've seen it, but I thought that was
Spoiler alert
a pirate's gun.
[close]

You're right.  I remembered the date on there as 1851, but I've just Googled it and it's 1715.  Still, not beyond the realms of possibility that it will make an appearance.

Johnny Textface

1st one is bit of a stupid classic. 2nd one was a favourite amongst my friends when I was in my late teens (probably mostly down to it being heavily sampled for this pre-drum and bass banger https://youtu.be/tbLCAIkunL4.)

I've not seen any of the others. This has a shit title. That's it.

St_Eddie

Gotta love the way that a single clickbait site wrongly listed the production title as "Skull" recently and now every site under the sun is running with that and repeating the typo, despite this information having been out there in the wild for several months now.  It's not "Skull" singular, it's "Skulls" plural.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 28, 2021, 06:33:11 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]

Nah, it's set before Europeans first set foot in America.  The story revolves around
Spoiler alert
a Native American tribe, with the protagonist being a teenage girl who steps up against the patriarchy of said tribe and ultimately defeats the predator.
[close]
This has been confirmed via statements from the writer/director and through casting call script extracts.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 28, 2021, 07:01:22 PM
Nah, it's set before Europeans first set foot in America.  The story revolves around a Native American tribe.

Trachtenberg has changed it from the original idea then - he was saying in interviews it was set during the civil war as recently as last winter.

It could still be set during the civil war couldn't it?  Would be a good triple threat nightmare - familial/tribal patriarchy, and white Americans fighting each other and trying to rape and/or murder you, AND a fucking alien hunting you. 

Sounds rather good actually!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 28, 2021, 07:07:00 PM
Trachtenberg has changed it from the original idea then - he was saying in interviews it was set during the civil war as recently as last winter.

Ah, okay.  I stand corrected then.  I've been following the production news since the project was first announced but that amendment had passed me by.  Thank you for the correction.

EDIT: Actually, I don't suppose you have a direct quote from Trachtenberg regarding this, do you?  I've tried searching for one but all I'm coming up with is websites saying that it's "reportedly set during the Civil War" without an actual quote from the writer/director.  I suspect that it may be clickbait nonsense, though I'm happy to concede if I'm wrong.

Mister Six

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 28, 2021, 04:47:01 PM
With so much anger in the air these days, I feel like there is some scope for social satire, based on the idea from the first two films about the Predators being drawn to areas of conflict. Have them arrive en masse in gun toting America.

That's basically the premise of Predator 2 (although there it was a deeply unwoke "Ooh, them black gangs are out of control" take, rather than the Trump-poking take I assume you're going for).

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Mister Six on July 28, 2021, 07:09:20 PM
That's basically the premise of Predator 2 (although there it was a deeply unwoke "Ooh, them black gangs are out of control" take, rather than the Trump-poking take I assume you're going for).

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Predator 2 generally (I REALLY like it), I don't think you can call it deeply unwoke for having a rivalry between a black and Latino gang in 90s LA.  Especially when you have a middle-aged black lead and co-stars from Cuba and Panama.  Don't you remember the criticism it got for not having someone like Bruce Willis starring?

Goldentony

they'll get it right this time definitely

badaids

I think Skull - New Predator Film is a great name for the film. Anyone know if the the Predator will be a baddie in this one?

mothman

I love Predator 2. Really couldn't decide between it and the original if pressed.

Incidentally, I initially typed "Predatot" and that sounds like an innovative way to take the franchise - a truly juvenile alien hunter! Have him/her (have we ever seen a female Predator... Predatrix?) team up with a human against other Predators or even something else, I dunno.

Mister Six

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 28, 2021, 07:20:27 PM
Regardless of what anyone thinks of Predator 2 generally (I REALLY like it), I don't think you can call it deeply unwoke for having a rivalry between a black and Latino gang in 90s LA.  Especially when you have a middle-aged black lead and co-stars from Cuba and Panama.  Don't you remember the criticism it got for not having someone like Bruce Willis starring?

I mean in the sense that the premise basically ignores the reasons why you have gangs killing each other in poor inner city areas, and has a cop as the protagonist, which doesn't really jibe with how things stand at the minute. Not really criticising it, just saying that the modern Hollywood conception of America as a heartland of murder and chaos wouldn't focus so much on black and Latino gangs, at least not so uncritically.

Although even at the time Ebert (I think?) slammed it for racial bias. The Predator having dreds and cooking up some healing salve in a manner similar to someone cooking heroin in a spoon was an example that stays with me.

Still a decent flick, mind.

Mister Six

Quote from: mothman on July 28, 2021, 07:39:03 PM
I love Predator 2. Really couldn't decide between it and the original if pressed.

Incidentally, I initially typed "Predatot" and that sounds like an innovative way to take the franchise - a truly juvenile alien hunter! Have him/her (have we ever seen a female Predator... Predatrix?) team up with a human against other Predators or even something else, I dunno.

I'd like to see them do an ET riff, and then the baby Predator goes around massacring school bullies. Let the Right Predator In kind of thing.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Mister Six on July 28, 2021, 07:41:37 PM
cooking up some healing salve in a manner similar to someone cooking heroin in a spoon was an example that stays with me.

I've not heard that one before, but that is some lame mega over-reading to something that I don't think is there.  He breaks up plaster and rock and uses some glowing stuff to liquify it a bit to seal (not heal) a wound.  And it fucking smarts when he does it.

Shit Good Nose

We've already had Predators teaming up with humans in AVP.

Malcy

Quote from: badaids on July 28, 2021, 07:33:01 PM
I think Skull - New Predator Film is a great name for the film. Anyone know if the the Predator will be a baddie in this one?
Nah it's a big fuck off Terminator skull like the last boss in Robocop Vs Terminator. The cliff-hanger of the film is Robocop turning up at the end along with Ripley to help tackle whatever threat left dangling by the film for an inevitable sequel thus merging the 4 franchises for some new big universe thing that the studios are so fond of these days.

Malcy

I used to meet another cyclist while out on the cycle path near me regularly. I didn't even know Predator 2 existed back then and when he told me about it I thought he had made it up. Danny Glover? Chasing a Predator around an urban jungle full of gang wars? Yeah right. Fuck me it exists and it's great!