Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:16:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Far Cry 6

Started by Ferris, October 09, 2021, 01:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Villa_Gorilla

Quote from: Neomod on October 14, 2021, 06:29:36 PM
Didn't they have a map maker back in 2 because I'm sure I played a Kevin Costner's Water World map on that one?

Yes there was, but i didnt discover the map editor until fc3.  Hopefully the map editor/arcade feature will return , maybe as a stand-alone game. 

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

This is really shit, some of the textures are awful, janky AI, who gives a fuck about stories in video games, missions are all shit. Still. I've managed to spunk 5-6 hours on it so far. It's a solid 6/10 game.

wooders1978

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on October 14, 2021, 07:55:22 PM
This is really shit, some of the textures are awful, janky AI, who gives a fuck about stories in video games, missions are all shit. Still. I've managed to spunk 5-6 hours on it so far. It's a solid 6/10 game.

This is a weirdly retrograde step from far cry 5 as far as environment graphics are concerned- woeful

Mobius

Are you lot on about the PS5 version

Brundle-Fly

I'll wait for this to be £20-£30 in Cex and will report back in 18 months time. I love the series. Thinking of playing Far Cry: Primal again soon. Underrated game.

wooders1978

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 14, 2021, 10:13:02 PM
I'll wait for this to be £20-£30 in Cex and will report back in 18 months time. I love the series. Thinking of playing Far Cry: Primal again soon. Underrated game.

I might sack this off and download primal do I can actually enjoy a far cry game

elliszeroed

This game is so by-the-numbers it is painful. I can't play it for longer than an hour without getting bored.

Ferris

Stellar reviews on here so far haha.

Mister Six

Why are the plots for the Far Cries so shit? Is it the same bloke fucking it up each time?

I'd like to see a remastered version of FC2 without bullet sponge enemies or magically repopulating checkpoints.[nb]Or, I've just remembered, the shallow yet inescapable trench behind one of the safe houses that was impossible to jump out of, presumably due to someone buggering up the map.[/nb] There were some good ideas in that game, and the African setting was nicely atmospheric and unique.

wooders1978

Quote from: Mister Six on October 16, 2021, 04:45:43 AM
Why are the plots for the Far Cries so shit? Is it the same bloke fucking it up each time?

I'd like to see a remastered version of FC2 without bullet sponge enemies or magically repopulating checkpoints.[nb]Or, I've just remembered, the shallow yet inescapable trench behind one of the safe houses that was impossible to jump out of, presumably due to someone buggering up the map.[/nb] There were some good ideas in that game, and the African setting was nicely atmospheric and unique.

Far Cry 3 was good up until the mating with the witch woman bit I thought
I liked far cry 5 to be honest, I thought the family were all engaging villains and the plot moved along nicely

bgmnts

To be fair everything after 3 is exactly the same so probably is the same guy or committee or marketing people or something.

To be fair to them, at least it's not as bad as the other overindulgence series Assassins Creed, where half the focus is on the horrendously written ancient civilisation shit.

Zetetic

Why are the plots for the Far Cries so shit?
Determination to make them as stupid as possible to provide cover for the claim that they're meaningless and apolitical, despite everything 3+ wanting to wear the skin of real world misery.

Lemming

I really love the plot to Far Cry 3 because it's absolutely dreadful and played so earnestly. Some random hipster dickhead takes on not only a band of bloodthirsty pirates, but also an entire army of professional mercenaries, most of whom are ex-army or special forces, and wins. And that's before you get into all the truly baffling ridiculous stuff with the tribe and their batshit leader who needs the protagonist's sperm to produce the ULTIMATE WARRIOR or something, and rapes him mid-game to procure it. Speaking of which, there's also the part where your friend is raped by a villainous Australian (who you stab to death by shoving two daggers through his head in a crucifix) which is handled with all the sensitivity you'd expect, ie. fucking none.

Far Cry 3 contains one of the biggest laughs I've ever had playing a game. When you storm the airport at the end to save your brother (who is going to be sold off as a sex slave and raped, because the game is absolutely obsessed with the weirdest and most wildly misplaced depictions of sexual violence you've ever seen), one of the mercs says "It's... BRODY!" as you rush over and machete him in the neck. The mixture of terror and reverence in his voice just takes me out, it condenses the absolute ludicrousness of the whole plot into one line.

There's a single line in one of the codex entries or whatever that tries to explain the whole plot away - the plants on the island produce an airborne-transmitted psychedelic effect, which is why all the pirates are savage lunatics, why Citra has something seriously wrong with her and seems to be walking around in a dream, why the Australian guy is so deranged, and why Brody himself is out of his mind. Again, I love this because it's such an audacious attempt to explain why the plot is terrible. "You think none of this makes sense? Well, uh, everyone's on drugs." Plus it's a piece of information which completely changes the way you perceive the entire plot, and it's buried away in a codex entry nobody will ever bother to read. Great game, for real, they've never made a better Far Cry game since. And the action set-pieces are so well-made and conceptually ridiculous that they gel perfectly with the borderline-incomprehensible plot.

I really liked far cry 2, that was a lot of fun in small doses. You had to keep taking breaks, but it felt nice and immersive and the baddies were ruthless.
Haven't really enjoyed any I've played since then and they always whack a load of mouse acceleration on the controls as well, the fucking idiots, it's a fucking nightmare having to forever second guess and be constantly fine tuning your aim. The one thing you have to get right more than anything in a first person shooter is the controls.

wooders1978

I keep trying to go back to far cry 6 but it is so irredeemably shit

I hatedddd the plot for the first Far Cry and whinged about it in another thread, a classic case of them building a great atmosphere and setting and ruining it by throwing in monsters and dark scary bits that completely ruin the existing tone.

Far Cry 2 was miles better without that tosh.

Lemming

Quote from: thelittlemango on October 17, 2021, 04:28:00 PM
I hatedddd the plot for the first Far Cry and whinged about it in another thread, a classic case of them building a great atmosphere and setting and ruining it by throwing in monsters and dark scary bits that completely ruin the existing tone.

"Whatever that was, I hope it was the only one!"

(cue 500 invincible mutant apes on the very next level)

Ferris

Alright lads level with me - I'm slightly pissed. Should I buy FC3 for 25 quid if I've never played it before?

Zetetic

You've played it before.

Lemming

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 17, 2021, 09:41:35 PM
Alright lads level with me - I'm slightly pissed. Should I buy FC3 for 25 quid if I've never played it before?

Yes, if you enjoy the core gameplay loop of sneaking into outposts and stabbing everyone, and you're interested in following a plot that feels like it was written by three people sat in different rooms who never spoke to each other and were also all insane. It's easily the best of the Far Cry games from FC3 onwards (where it became the same game over and over in different settings), and it has a much bigger focus on linear, somewhat scripted story missions than the subsequent games, which is a good thing IMO.

£25 for a decade-old game is a bit pricey though.

Ferris

Quote from: Lemming on October 17, 2021, 09:50:07 PM
Yes

Pissed up, just finished telling pancreas (some kind of maths bod) his business re: maths (ferris qualifications a C at A level), bought the game, on a mad one lads waheyyyy.

Ferris

Just read the rest of your review.

Shit. Well it's downloading now so... I'll pretend it's great whatever! Waheyyyyyy

Johnny Textface

Far Cry 3 is solid. I wonder if the performance is significantly improved on the Series S?

I'd go as high as £13.99

Ferris

Fully accept I've been mugged off by the playstation store plus being 3 beers pissed.

As long as it's a laugh then I consider this a win.

Ferris

It's a good laugh this, but yeah fucking hell it's exactly the same as every Far Cry game out there. Their dedication to the system is halfway between impressive and laughable.

oggyraiding

Is it meant to be funny or not? We have wacky cobbled together weapons like a crossbow that shoots harpoons and a missle launching backpack, and laugh at our adventures over a glass of rum or whatever. Then we have Giancarlo Esposito butchering refugees and torturing freedom fighters. It's fine when Pagan Min did it, as he was a more lighthearted portrayal of a dictator, but Castillo is just low key nasty. Having said that, he's more interesting than the FC5 baddies, so I can't begrudge them that.

Zetetic

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 18, 2021, 03:07:12 AM
but yeah fucking hell it's exactly the same as every Far Cry game out there.

Just let me say, entirely for my sake: Told you so.

But glad you're enjoying it, I suppose.

Ferris

I was under no illusions about what I was getting into!

wooders1978

So despite initially hating this I've been carrying about doing treasure hunts and clearing out bases and it feels like maybe a bit of a good game lurks here - then I do one of the horrifically shit main quests and I am reminded of how awful it is - think I'll sort the bases out and go looking for treasure and bin it off