Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:49:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

going on the anti depressants thread

Started by madhair60, February 06, 2022, 11:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

I hope it goes well for you, madhair.

I was on Effexor many years ago. Couldn't say exactly how I knew it was time to stop, but it really helped. I think it's important to remember at times like these that taking a positive step (like going on anti-depressants if you need them) will open up all sorts of other positive steps in the future that you couldn't have anticipated before. Not saying my life or my insides are perfect, but 20 years ago I was such a mess, the best I could hope for was to be less of a mess, had no idea what that single first step of going to the doctor and saying "I am depressed." would lead to.

Mister Six

Good on you for taking this step, mads. Want to echo this:

Quote from: Glebe on February 07, 2022, 11:11:16 AMYeah counselling/therapy are a must.

The antidepressants may be something you only need for a while or they may be something you'll take in the long run, but the root causes of the illnesses will need addressing, and therapy is definitely worth engaging with as a way to do that. Like the meds, there are lots of different kinds and you might need to experiment and explore a bit before you find what works for you, but keep going.

Turning inward and looking at the shit that has hurt you isn't comfortable at all, but it is a way to empty out the psychic pus that's built up and caused all kinds of other problems for you.

Best of luck, but you're certainly taking the right steps here.

Oh, and maybe don't quit your job, see how you get on, and talk to your boss about taking a bit of time to deal with your mental health issues. Keeps the cash coming in, which is important if you're seeking therapy (which, as I said, you should).

Jerzy Bondov

Maybe you just need to have one really good big dump

Glebe

Anti-depressants (properly prescribed, of course) can lift you out of those really bad lows and give you that little boost you need to get going again, but yeah, lifestyle changes and counselling/therapy are essential to get yourself sorted.

Obviously it's not like 'I'll just sit at home and the anti-depressants will completely solve everything'. I'm as guilty as anyone of eating shite/not getting out and that. Haven't been to the counsellor I was going to in awhile, I definitely have stuff going on that I've not properly worked through and maybe never will, but despite some serious lows and worries about the future I'm in a relatively cushy situation compared to a lot of people and am trying to stay positive, looking forward to some (hopefully) better things to come.

madhair60

these anti depressants had better fix everything instantly because I cannot continue this way.

bgmnts

Won't happen. You'll get a few day boost purely on the effect of feeling that you actually did something to fix the problem. After that wears off, you'll feel numb if you're lucky.

robhug

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 08, 2022, 07:25:05 PMMaybe you just need to have one really good big dump

General medical advice is you can skip the pills on good big dump days

jobotic

Quote from: madhair60 on February 08, 2022, 10:25:24 AMgot an appointment with GP thursday aft'

How did it go? They kicking in yet?

FUCKING AVV IT

madhair60

got pills from tomorrow. mental now, officially. called my mum after, said I need her to be on my side in this, she said no. quite funny with hindsight. just flatly refused. nah.

bgmnts

You've always been mental!

Sorry to hear about your mum though that is strange to me, but you have CaB at least!

Kankurette

That's some quality parenting from your mum there. Fucking HELL.

bushwick

QDRPHNC

A few days ago I started reading Homecoming by John Bradshaw - would recommend it for anyone dealing with the effects of a traumatic childhood. It was recommended by Patrick Teahan, whose YouTube videos on this subject are also worth watching.

Mister Six

Quote from: madhair60 on February 10, 2022, 08:43:59 PMgot pills from tomorrow. mental now, officially. called my mum after, said I need her to be on my side in this, she said no. quite funny with hindsight. just flatly refused. nah.

What the fuck, is she a Scientologist or something?

You've got us on your side, at least, and we're worth a hundred shit mums.

imitationleather

Yer maw's attitude is extremely out of date. Most of my mates are on them.

Probably says a lot about what being friends with me is like!!!

The Mollusk

Want me to sort your mum out for you? No charge, just get me a pint next time I see you

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: madhair60 on February 10, 2022, 08:43:59 PMgot pills from tomorrow. mental now, officially. called my mum after, said I need her to be on my side in this, she said no. quite funny with hindsight. just flatly refused. nah.

Tell her I've heard she does anal 4 cigs

Glebe

Quote from: bgmnts on February 09, 2022, 04:10:11 PMWon't happen. You'll get a few day boost purely on the effect of feeling that you actually did something to fix the problem. After that wears off, you'll feel numb if you're lucky.

They'll take a few weeks to kick in at first, but they should help. Are you suggesting that anti-depressants are no use, bgmnts?

bgmnts

Quote from: Glebe on February 12, 2022, 05:14:48 PMThey'll take a few weeks to kick in at first, but they should help. Are you suggesting that anti-depressants are no use, bgmnts?

Oh no I would say feeling numb is much, much better than feeling chronically suicidal.

imitationleather

I'm up to my eyeballs on drugs and I don't feel numb at all.

You shouldn't potentially scare people off them by saying they make you like that.

bgmnts

Quote from: imitationleather on February 12, 2022, 05:26:34 PMI'm up to my eyeballs on drugs and I don't feel numb at all.

So? I've been on various medications over the past decade and I've always felt numb on them.

Emotional numbing is not uncommon at all.

The Mollusk

Tbh when I found out antidepressants weren't the full ticket and I'd need to make an effort to properly heal myself it just made me more depressed 🤪

bgmnts

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 12, 2022, 05:35:14 PMTbh when I found out antidepressants weren't the full ticket and I'd need to make an effort to properly heal myself it just made me more depressed 🤪

That's what made me so jaded towards GPs. They just threw pills at me.

Sorry to hear this madhair60. I too have started on the happy pills for the first time. Not feeling suicidal, not feeling much of anything at all. Just done two weeks of Sertaline. So far... nothing. The doc said they would take a couple of weeks to take effect but I feel no different. Keep going I suppose and see if it starts to have some effect.

RetroRobot

Doc upped my prescription and I'm getting an autism assessment. Glad I'm not alone here though.

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on February 12, 2022, 05:46:55 PMSorry to hear this madhair60. I too have started on the happy pills for the first time. Not feeling suicidal, not feeling much of anything at all. Just done two weeks of Sertaline. So far... nothing. The doc said they would take a couple of weeks to take effect but I feel no different. Keep going I suppose and see if it starts to have some effect.
Give it time mate. It will help things get easier, half the work done.

madhair60

Pink Gregory

Crenners

I never been on the nutter treats in my life but pretty much everyone I know is.

Just realised the common denominator here 😂😂😂

All the best with it mate, thinking of you. X

Glebe

Quote from: RetroRobot on February 12, 2022, 06:55:30 PMDoc upped my prescription and I'm getting an autism assessment. Glad I'm not alone here though.

Give it time mate. It will help things get easier, half the work done.

Best of luck RR and I echo your advice to Wentworth there.