Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:59:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021/22 Part 2 - Matt Le Tosser, Dejan Moron and Thickie Lambert

Started by JamesTC, April 06, 2022, 08:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Quote from: Vitamin C on May 16, 2022, 03:03:40 PMThere are officials out there who have been caught taking bribes, and for some reason are still allowed to take on high profile games now. This bloke is one of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Zwayer

He's been assigned Champions League and Europa League matches. You can see his recent record here:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/felix-zwayer/profil/schiedsrichter/124

Do you think the specifics of that conspiracy apply to this one? Let's say Atwell quite simply took a bung to favour Brentford yesterday - was the VAR in on the scam? If he wasn't, how could Atwell even trust that his bad decisions would make it past an honest third party? If he was, how do you think the VAR felt when he saw the footage back, realised Atwell's decision was impossible to justify but felt obliged to go with it anyway because the fix was in?

These are not sealion bullshit questions, there's an element of rhetoric but the comparison is relevant - those German games were relatively high-profile (or at least featured high-profile teams), but the level of scrutiny would be minimal compared to a very important Premier League game in the era of VAR. 

Vitamin C

I don't think it's going on in that case, but just thought it interesting that there is some real evidence of refereeing conspiracy/corruption out there in relatively recent history. The amount of people involved in it is quite eye opening as well. And hard to understand how only some of the officials got life bans out of it. Why would you let any of them back in?

Utter Shit

Yeah it does seem odd. From what I remember at least one of them was a whistleblower, I think they technically got done for not speaking out earlier and going along with it for a while before grassing.

JamesTC

Week has started well for Chelsea after last week's barnstormer. The deal to buy them might fall through as that dodgy oligarch bloke whose name they chant refuses to give the government assurances over where the money will go to.

In theory, Chelsea could be expelled from the football league if they do not agree a deal. It'd never happen but a man can dream.

DrGreggles

"Ajax have set a new league record by appointing a fourth bald manager in a row"

Official CaB team?

Kankurette

Quote from: shoulders on May 16, 2022, 03:14:47 PMGenerally agree with Utter Shit re the above.

I thought there might be some discussion about the Liverpool fans booing Bald and the Anthem but judging by the thread I guess we all think it was the decent thing to do, if not pretty fucking cool. I know I do.
Yeah, when it comes to objectionable football fan behaviour, booing the national anthem is pretty minor.

shoulders

QuoteBlackpool's Jake Daniels said his decision to come out as the UK's only openly gay active male professional footballer will allow him to be "free and confident".

The Championship club forward is the first professional in the UK men's game for more than 30 years to come out while still playing.

Speaking to Sky Sports, the 17-year-old said: "Now is the right time to do it.

"I feel like I am ready to tell people my story."

He added: "Since I've come out to my family, my club and my team-mates, that period of overthinking everything - and the stress it created - has gone. It was impacting my mental health. Now I am just confident and happy to be myself finally

Amazing. Crying. Hope it's the start of something.

JamesTC

To do it at all is brave, but to do it at 17 is just incredible.

shoulders

Seen Stonewall's backing too? If you think they're the enemy you're a total cunt.

shoulders

Quote from: JamesTC on May 16, 2022, 07:29:54 PMTo do it at all is brave, but to do it at 17 is just incredible.

Just concerned he is so young older gay players will be too embarrassed that he's managed to do this at a younger age and not want to be seen to be doing it behind cover of his bravery.

Still amazing. Hope he manages a happy life and a full professional career.

Kankurette

Good for Daniels. Given how homophobic the men's game is, this is a HUGE deal, and I'm sure he's aware he's potentially painted a target on his back. It takes a lot of guts to come out while you're still playing at that level. And it's particularly heartwarming after that story about Idrissa Gueye refusing to play for PSG because he doesn't want to wear an anti-homophobia shirt.

bgmnts

Hope this lad reaches Messi messiah level status in the game and all the pot bellied homophobes worship a gay bloke.

Mobius

JamesTC

A reminder that Arsenal are recording an All or Nothing documentary this season.

imitationleather

A player finally coming out and Arsenal handing 4th spot to Spurs?

What a day for the ages!

Kankurette

I need to watch the Spurs one, I've seen bits and angry screaming Lloris is hilarious. As is Mourinho just being a giant dick throughout.
Quote from: Mobius on May 16, 2022, 08:16:43 PMcan just tell arsenal will lose this
You might be onto something here.

imitationleather

bgmnts

The Spurs one gave us some of the funniest Mince bits ever, such as Mourinho's 'friends and family speech, Kane's team talk and bristle situation.

Mr Eggs

Love to see Arteta rub all his hair off and curl up into a ball, whimpering for daddy Pep.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: JamesTC on May 16, 2022, 07:29:54 PMTo do it at all is brave, but to do it at 17 is just incredible.

Yeah that Welsh rugby guy was about 40 and retired when he came out which seemed a bit pointless. It's staggering that only one lad comes out as gay in the entirety of UK football in 32 years. How is that even possible? I know Fashanu had a bad time but still and all.

bgmnts

Fair play mind the lack of character in these Arsenal teams is extraordinary.

Kankurette

One good thing about the women's game being lower profile is that loads of big name players and managers are out (and plenty of teams have actual couples in the squad). Marta, Megan Rapinoe, Demi Stokes, Sam Kerr, Casey Stoney, Pernille Harder, Kelly Smith (who may or may not have shagged Alex Scott), Abby Wambach, Carly Telford...but in the men's game most of the ones who've come out have either done it after their retirement, or have been playing in non-league. And Daniels has his whole career ahead of him too.
Quote from: Mr Eggs on May 16, 2022, 09:46:38 PMLove to see Arteta rub all his hair off and curl up into a ball, whimpering for daddy Pep.
THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE MYSTERONS
WE KNOW YOU CAN HEAR US, TOTTENHAM
Quote from: bgmnts on May 16, 2022, 09:43:06 PMThe Spurs one gave us some of the funniest Mince bits ever, such as Mourinho's 'friends and family speech, Kane's team talk and bristle situation.
Kane's team talks in All or Nothing are so like Gangs of the EPL!Kane it's not even funny.

imitationleather

I remember the last time we needed a draw against a relegated team on the last day of the season to finish above Arsenal. If I recall correctly it went splendidly...

Kankurette

Would Arsenal have lost to Newcastle if Steve Bruce was manager? #makesyouthink

Mr Eggs

imitationleather

Quote from: imitationleather on May 16, 2022, 09:57:19 PMI remember the last time we needed a draw against a relegated team on the last day of the season to finish above Arsenal. If I recall correctly it went splendidly...

Eep.

Mobius

Well Norwich have given up and I can't see Conte letting you guys throw it away, but I suppose you never know. We'd still need to beat an Everton team fighting for their life, which is unlikely given our recent performances.

I wish you was playing this current Newcastle team on the final day!

Shame really, should have spent some money in January instead of scraping by with such a thin squad. Would have taken 5th at the start of the season, feels like a disappointment now.

Trying not to let it ruin my day. We've got a young squad. Bin Lacazette get a decent striker in. If Partey, Tomiyasu and Tierney weren't permacrocked since January we'd probably have been okay but that's what happens when you've got no depth.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: imitationleather on May 16, 2022, 09:57:19 PMI remember the last time we needed a draw against a relegated team on the last day of the season to finish above Arsenal. If I recall correctly it went splendidly...

I also remember Lasagnegate, so as joyful as Arsenal's implosion has been over the past week, I can still see Spurs fucking this one up against Norwich.

Unless Arsenal are the new Spurs.

Mobius