Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:04:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket 2022: The Thuglife Era (Stokes, Woakes, Foakes, and plenty of chokes)

Started by sevendaughters, June 04, 2022, 05:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

T20 is shit anyway. Everyone who bothered going is a twat who totally wasted their day.

Crenners

The only person who got their money's worth today is Phil Hoban.

Inspector Norse

Australia getting the Rajapaksa treatment in Galle. Think Travis Head's batting average outside Australia is now in minus numbers.

king_tubby

shoulders

Turning into a rout. Problem with all nascent sports is if you get some totally outstanding talent, like Sciver here for example they are playing a different game for most of the time. With a real developed pipeline of players it's more competitive.

Well done NZ for giving equal pay to the women's team but if we extract the fact they aren't in an office job but an entertainment job that isn't even close to being deserved.

king_tubby

king_tubby

Mr_Simnock

Inspector Norse

Zak Crawley doing Zak Crawley things in the Championship, meanwhile

iamcoop

FalknerHinton

gilbertharding

It's just as well this game is being played in an era when people will (quite rightly) restrain themselves from calling it
Spoiler alert
spazz-ball
[close]

tw/ ableist slur

gilbertharding

Read this earlier - and it seems more than a bit prophetic:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2022/jul/12/brendon-mccullum-bazball-england-cricket-team

QuoteThis is basically how England bat right now and, even if the current squad are spared the economic hopelessness that drives millennial culture, that innate nihilism remains, the sense of a future that has been mortgaged and built over. Bazball is the laughing crying emoji. Bazball is Amelia Dimoldenberg's deadpan jokes on Chicken Shop Date. Bazball is a pink‑haired egirl selling you her own bath water for $30 a pot. Bazball ain't reading all that, but is happy for u tho, or sorry that happened.

Bazball hears the phrases "building an innings" or "bowling dry" and hears a boomer columnist telling them they too could earn the deposit for a house by cutting out avocado on toast.

Here in the banterverse 111 all out in less than 30 overs is a fantastic result. It's as if the England team read these threads.

Pranet

Will Smeed playing for England A today, apparently his first professional 50 over game.

shoulders

Quote from: cricinfothree years below Tom Banton in the same boarding house

How lovely for them

shoulders

England A aka Lions just absolutely slaughtered a nearly full strength SA side. 320 chased in 37 overs.

Smeedgol with 90 off 56.
Ben Duckett reappearing too, I see ...

Cuellar

Didn't even know about the ODI but delighted England got cunted

shoulders

Quote from: Cuellar on July 12, 2022, 07:48:59 PMDidn't even know about the ODI but delighted England got cunted

Aye, but as noted above on any given day there's always one England team or other cunting a set of cricketers into ground zero.

Be interesting to see how quickly the approach is adjusted when they start genuinely short changing fans week in week out. That was a fucking dismal effort for people who'd paid so much to see an actual contest.

Kneejerk reaction: Buttler has no idea what he's doing as captain, awful decision to go with someone who comes across like Joe Root and we should slice through some dead wood in the side as well. On bowling and batting fronts.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Pranet on July 12, 2022, 04:09:14 PMWill Smeed playing for England A today, apparently his first professional 50 over game.

Apparently not, as it was one of those all-in Club 18-30 tour party warm-up games where they can sub all the batters for bowlers, so doesn't count for the official record.
There's a "proper" Lions v SA one-dayer on Thursday, though.

Inspector Norse

Pranet

Bit of a flat pitch, and Somerset missing two of their best bowlers, but I wish I'd been watching for that. Suppose he is too old to have another bash at opening for England.

Thursday

I feel like there were a couple of people like him who weren't afforded the leniency the likes of Crawley have been given.

iamcoop