Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:41:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Multiplayer for the Lonely

Started by bgmnts, June 19, 2022, 04:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

What is your list of multiplayer games that are still fun to use even if you have no friends to play with? Any co-op games that don't require communication? Obviously massive arena shooters like Apex and Fortnite and Overwatch are acceptable for this.

Pink Gregory

I've only ever played Vermintide 2 with randoms and apart from people quitting I haven't had a bad game.  I think it requires a bit more communication on the harder modes but I've always had a good time on whatever the equivalent of normal is.

BeardFaceMan

The trend did seem to shift to multiplayer games that required teamwork or communication, making it a lot harder for friendless fucks like me to play online multiplayer. I think Team Fortress 2 and Titanfall 2 are my favourite ones for just picking up and having instant fun on your own. Had a lot of fun with the first few CoD:Black Ops games, me and Barry on our quests to get diamond sniper skins, those were the days.

The Guppy

Destiny 2, if you don't do the raids. Three-player strikes just require you to shoot baddies and look out for each other. I played hundreds of hours of Destiny 1 and 2 without plugging in my mic.

The raids are fantastic but they absolutely need coordination and several players in voice chat.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: The Guppy on June 21, 2022, 04:24:43 AMDestiny 2, if you don't do the raids.

Or Nightfalls, or Trials etc. Destiny 2 makes you put the game down to go to a LFG site to look for people to play activities with because a lot of them don't have in-game matchmaking, which is quite amazingly shit, it's the main reason why I stopped playing it as a single player.

The Guppy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 21, 2022, 07:59:13 AMOr Nightfalls, or Trials etc. Destiny 2 makes you put the game down to go to a LFG site to look for people to play activities with because a lot of them don't have in-game matchmaking, which is quite amazingly shit, it's the main reason why I stopped playing it as a single player.
Yeah I never even saw Trials for that reason. I understand why they don't have matchmaking for raids, because they design them to require communication and for everyone to pull their weight. Nightfalls should have matchmaking and so should Trials. It'd still be the elite teams getting nine wins in Trials, but at least the rest of us could have a crack.

brat-sampson

Final Fantasy XIV. I've finished the whole campaign and still play every few months, but I don't know anyone else personally that plays and my interaction in game is generally limited to like 'Hi folks!' at the start of a trial / dungeon and 'gg, thanks!' or sth like that at the end. You can match-make (PUG) basically the entire thing and if you want to do endgame stuff, the party finder tool is excellent.

It's the best Final Fantasy.

Jim_MacLaine

I've had a lot of fun with easy dipper multiplayers (Don't usually have time for much more these days). My console go to's presently are:

1943 (realised I've been playing this for over 10 years)
World of Warships
Rocket League
Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
World of Tanks

Played one game of Fortnite, won it, uninstalled it.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

There's no open chat on Xbox Live type services anymore since they introduced the party chat system. The glory days of 16 people in a Halo 3 lobby shouting at each other are long gone. In a way it's so much worse now, because you occasionally get some lone wolf say "Has anyone got a mic", only to be met by deafening silence. I sometimes feel like turning my mic on and saying something, just so they don't feel so awkward.

Josef K

Rainbow Six Siege is a lot of fun. It's very tactical and has a bit more of a learning curve compared to a lot of other shooters, but it's incredibly well designed and very addictive, even if you're terrible like me.

I always just played with randoms, or I'd play on servers where I knew all the regulars.
The Left 4 Dead games can all be played without talking. You see someone down, you pick them up.
You do get the odd arsehole, but on pc at least, that was pretty rare. Everyone mostly only took one health kit and were very generous and helpful towards each other.

MrVentham

I know it's laughable but I've been playing GTA Online and enjoying it. I hadn't played GTA until I was 31, but man it's fun. Though I'd like to find more players who play the game as intended rather than murdering everything that moves.

Pink Gregory

I used to enjoy the Red Dead Redemption multiplayer, I remember the time me and a complete random picked up a stagecoach and drove around to every settlement to do the shootouts, must have been at least two hours.

Crenners

Monster Hunter is great for antisocial MP. Just some random Japanese characters above the guy's head and he's wearing some mad neon mirror armour you never sawyer before. Kills the monster for you almost contemptuously, you get a few bones and scales and wow now you can make the hat that he had fuckkkk

Fast forward an hour and you're that guy for some other guys.

TTT

Quote from: The Guppy on June 21, 2022, 11:45:53 AMYeah I never even saw Trials for that reason. I understand why they don't have matchmaking for raids, because they design them to require communication and for everyone to pull their weight. Nightfalls should have matchmaking and so should Trials. It'd still be the elite teams getting nine wins in Trials, but at least the rest of us could have a crack.

Both trials and the 2 lower power level NF's have matchmaking now and have done for a while.

The Guppy

Quote from: TTT on July 01, 2022, 12:17:58 PMBoth trials and the 2 lower power level NF's have matchmaking now and have done for a while.
It's a few years since I played. I'm glad that's been added.

Blue Jam

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 19, 2022, 04:47:20 PMI think Team Fortress 2 and Titanfall 2 are my favourite ones for just picking up and having instant fun on your own.

I used to love Attrition Mode in Titanfall 2, how busy is the lobby these days? Love me some Tittybiscuits.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 01, 2022, 01:18:47 PMI used to love Attrition Mode in Titanfall 2, how busy is the lobby these days? Love me some Tittybiscuits.

I haven't had Xbox Live for a few months but the last time I tried to play about 4 or 5 months ago I got a game straight away. Not all of the game modes are busy and you'll struggle to get games in Frontier Defense but the big ones like attrition or capture the flag are always up and running.

Fuck you, Apex Legends!!!

Blue Jam

Heh, one good thing about Tittybiscuits' Attrition Mode is that people tend to PTFO. Kept it fun.

I got fed up with Apex Legends because I kept finding myself on teams with people who couldn't figure out which way the inside of the circle was.

Not had Xbox Live for a few months either but last time I did I was dismayed to see the Snooker 19 lobby completely empty, bah.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The Last Of Us multiplayer was pretty good because there was only four people on each team, so even without mics most people quickly understood that the way to win was to stick together and heal when somebody went down, not go all Rambo and get yourself wiped out.