Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:34:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Roe v. Wade is overturned

Started by Dark Sexy Dangerous, June 24, 2022, 03:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 24, 2022, 05:05:21 PMAll the people who say it's all the same, Red or Blue, Trump or Clinton how's that working out?
Well like, what exactly did Obama do with his massive majority in 2008 to prevent this? Things were clearly going this way

bgmnts

The real issue here is partisan politics.

BritishHobo

I fucking want to get off the world, this is fucking horrible. Just horrible, ever-encroaching degradation of everything decent and right that's been fought for in the last hundred years.

BritishHobo

Quote from: buttgammon on June 24, 2022, 04:55:26 PMIt's hardly an original thought but the perversity of self-proclaimed pro-life people taking away rights like this while simultaneously supporting widespread gun ownership is striking.

Right? Have your kid and struggle to raise them on your limited income, which we'll judge you for, and then send them to school to do shooter drills every day - and don't dare start to say you want gun control measures in place to stop your child dying, that sort of pro-life sentiment is antifa communism.

Fucking hell.

superthunderstingcar

So abortion is still allowed in the USA, it just has to be performed 8 years post-natally by a suicidal teenager.

Bernice

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 24, 2022, 05:05:21 PMAll the people who say it's all the same, Red or Blue, Trump or Clinton how's that working out?

This is a deeply odd take to have in response to one of the crowning achievements of a decades long campaign of maximalist shithousery from an organised far right barrelling right through the flimsy, wet-tissue body of establishment centrism.

Edit: In addition to internet sniping I should also add that this is deeply tragic news and that the need for organisation and vigilance in our political lives has never been starker. I hope to fuck this tide can be turned everywhere that it seems to be making inexorable ground.

FalknerHinton

Absolutely horrendous news. Unimaginable.

What's worse is they're not going to stop there. Before very long at all there will be cases before the Supreme Court about birth control, equal marriage, the legality of same sex sex and most mind boggling (to me at least) the legality of interracial marriage .

What kind of garbage country do you have to be for any of those, but especially the last one, to even be something that the Supreme Court even had an opinion on in the first place?

bgmnts

Can we not make the argument that women are useless to the economy when they're heavily pregnant and raising children or something? Try and keep basic human rights that way by appealing to these fucking ghouls on their own terms?

Buelligan

Imagine how bad it would be under Sharia Law.  Sobering thought.

Bernice

Quote from: bgmnts on June 24, 2022, 06:15:53 PMCan we not make the argument that women are useless to the economy when they're heavily pregnant and raising children or something? Try and keep basic human rights that way by appealing to these fucking ghouls on their own terms?

"Their own terms" assumes that the ideology to be countered is one of small state, fiscal conservatives, rather than that being the mask they hide behind for certain decisions but not others. These are far-right, fundamentalist nutjobs with all the hatred, bigotry and naked coveting of power that entails. The notion that reason and debate are useful tactics to counter them is laughable, and the sooner the Dems learn to get in the fucking filth and fight dirty the better (spoilers: they won't).

JaDanketies

Ruth Bader Ginsburg did it for conceit, essential healthcare removed from millions of women for a rich dead lady feeling powerful for a moment

I mean really it's the republican men who are responsible

Buelligan

Still this could be the beginning of the End for America.  Look on the bright side.  If they start with the old devolution to all the states, you can bet your sweet sweet candy ass, pretty soon some of 'em will want out.

I predict balkanisation spelt with an s.  Mark my words.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on June 24, 2022, 06:15:53 PMCan we not make the argument that women are useless to the economy when they're heavily pregnant and raising children or something? Try and keep basic human rights that way by appealing to these fucking ghouls on their own terms?

I replied in the wrong "US is fucked" thread like an idiot, but basically; no. From a purely GDP perspective, the existing system is very positive.

It's just on every other level it is reprehensible. And who cares about that!!

JaDanketies

Quote from: Buelligan on June 24, 2022, 06:27:50 PMStill this could be the beginning of the End for America.  Look on the bright side.  If they start with the old devolution to all the states, you can bet your sweet sweet candy ass, pretty soon some of 'em will want out.

That was one of my initial thoughts. Or at least split into two countries. The Civil War was for nothing.

Ferris

Quote from: Buelligan on June 24, 2022, 06:27:50 PMStill this could be the beginning of the End for America.  Look on the bright side.  If they start with the old devolution to all the states, you can bet your sweet sweet candy ass, pretty soon some of 'em will want out.

Texas state legislature introduced a bill to formally secede last week iirc.

Buelligan

Yes, I honestly believe it's coming.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

They know already, bgmnts. They don't care. This is how you distract your mostly white male working class/poor voter base from the evils of capitalism. You tell them the country's gone to hell in a handcart ever since we brought in contraception and abortion, because those things allow women to run the streets instead of getting married and being respectable. You tell them the immigrants have taken all the jobs. You tell them their children are being groomed by those fruity degenerates. And you tell them the other party allows all this. Those coastal elites who never done a hard day's work in their lives. They vote for you again and you offer their children the military as a way out of poverty. Gonna need the military to turn back all the climate change refugees who will be heading for more temperate countries any day now.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on June 24, 2022, 05:12:23 PMWell like, what exactly did Obama do with his massive majority in 2008 to prevent this? Things were clearly going this way

He certainly didn't appoint a bunch of far right justices to the SC, Trump did and Clinton wouldn't have

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Buelligan on June 24, 2022, 06:17:34 PMImagine how bad it would be under Sharia Law.  Sobering thought.

It is significantly worse than life in the US

Buelligan

Gosh, really?

You're quite right.  They have shinier trucks.

bgmnts

Yeah no joke in terms of a country legislating away human rights to women based interpretations of an old piece of text that has no relevance anymore, is there any difference between the two beyond skin colour?

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: bgmnts on June 24, 2022, 07:13:32 PMYeah no joke in terms of a country legislating away human rights to women based interpretations of an old piece of text that has no relevance anymore, is there any difference between the two beyond skin colour?

Is this a joke? You think life for women in the US is just as bad as in countries that practice Shari'a law?

Video Game Fan 2000

selectivememory

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 24, 2022, 07:25:48 PMTHIS IS ALL BERNIES FAULT

The fucking liberals on Twitter screaming about Susan Sarandon of all people. Absolutely bonkers.

bgmnts

It's certainly looking to head that way. Going to be interesting to perhaps see, I dunno, Saudi women fleeing their oppressive country only to find the beacon of democratic values and freedom is denying them the right to have an abortion and fuck knows what will happen in the next few years.

Buelligan

Hopefully someone will grab them by the pussy and reset their little minds.

Psybro

The thing that's striking about this to me is there isn't a change in societal attitudes underlying it, just to the rules of the political game.

Cuellar

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 24, 2022, 06:48:23 PMHe certainly didn't appoint a bunch of far right justices to the SC, Trump did and Clinton wouldn't have

But he, and Biden, could've codified Roe v Wade into law stopping this. Obama promised he would on the campaign trail, then got into office and said abortion rights weren't a priority for him. Biden also promised to do it, but didn't. Even when this got leaked weeks ago.

Who needs far right justices?

Buelligan