Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:01:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

THings you find hauntological that no one else does

Started by George White, June 29, 2022, 11:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Zetetic on July 05, 2022, 06:08:06 PMIf it didn't now mean "reminds some codgers of the '70s".

It's more specific than that.  It has to be something you found unsettling, not just any old clip from the 70's.

Ahh, found the mofo!

I'd remembered him as being one colour, but I realised that's probably because we had a b&w tv until I was about 7.

And his name is Charlie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTjsAoLwqI&t=1m20s

jobotic

Shit yes of course he's called Charlie, sorry.

I was a fan too.

George White

The Legend of Tim Tyler fascinates me
Because it's basically Eurohorror for kids - indeed most of the cast were vets of gialli and Euroschlock - the Baron himself, Horst Frank was in scores of spaghetti westerns, gialli (including Argento's Cat o'Nine Tails), and myriad weirdies including the 1976 Anglo_German-African Night of the Askari/Albino where he plays an Albino African tribesman (donning both blackface and whiteface) who terrorises the likes of Christopher Lee and Trevor Howard.
Plus Jorge Rigaud as the old Arab chap, who was a French-Argentine matinee idol, briefly in Hollywood (he's in I Walk Alone with Kirk Douglas), then was a fixture of Eurohorror - Horror Express, a lot of faux-British gialli.

It is a certain kind of haunting European telefantasy.
Ireland got a load of this stuff too. Treasure Island in Outer Space was shown on CITV, but Frankenstein's Aunt was not.

Quote from: George White on July 05, 2022, 08:59:29 PMThe Legend of Tim Tyler fascinates me
Because it's basically Eurohorror for kids - indeed most of the cast were vets of gialli and Euroschlock - the Baron himself, Horst Frank was in scores of spaghetti westerns, gialli (including Argento's Cat o'Nine Tails), and myriad weirdies including the 1976 Anglo_German-African Night of the Askari/Albino where he plays an Albino African tribesman (donning both blackface and whiteface) who terrorises the likes of Christopher Lee and Trevor Howard.
Plus Jorge Rigaud as the old Arab chap, who was a French-Argentine matinee idol, briefly in Hollywood (he's in I Walk Alone with Kirk Douglas), then was a fixture of Eurohorror - Horror Express, a lot of faux-British gialli.

It is a certain kind of haunting European telefantasy.
Ireland got a load of this stuff too. Treasure Island in Outer Space was shown on CITV, but Frankenstein's Aunt was not.

The theme tune is a rivetingly depressing piece of music as well:

I remember the opening episode fooled you into thinking it was going to be all light-hearted japes and then it ends with his dad dying in a fucking plane crash, and then it's all downhill from there.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 05, 2022, 07:09:16 PMAre you sure?  Earlier I had an idea that it might have been Words and Pictures but the video I found had a Wordy that looked the same as the Wordy from Look And Read, i.e.this thing...

...only it was about the size of a tennis ball and lowered down on a piece of string.  I shall; look again at another episode...

EDIT: Ah!  The video I saw was Look & Read mislabelled as Words & Pictures.

I got confused by that as well, but looking at both of them on Wikipedia I discovered that Words and Pictures was a spin-off from Look and Read so thought perhaps he appeared on both?

George White

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on July 05, 2022, 09:21:45 PMThe theme tune is a rivetingly depressing piece of music as well:

I remember the opening episode fooled you into thinking it was going to be all light-hearted japes and then it ends with his dad dying in a fucking plane crash, and then it's all downhill from there.
It was one of a series of what were known as Winter-Serials, which were Germany's equiv of the Box of Delights or the Chronicles of Narnia, big fantasy serials often with ageing international film stars (Patrick Pacard featured Pierre Clementi of Belle de Jour).
Also Also included Silas (which featured the late Valerie QUenessen - the princess in Conan the Barbarian and GUnter 'Slugworth' Meisner), Jack Holborn (which featured an American guest star, Rick Dalton-influencing US TV leading man Monte Markham - star of Guns of the Magnificent 7),

Later ones not shown in the UK AFAIK were Mino (which starred Mario Adorf and Ray 'Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue' Lovelock), Marco (set in Venice, with former spaghetti western star Giuliano Gemma) and  the Canadian copro LUke B which featured Bertolucci/De Sica/70s Euro leading lady Dominique Sanda, John Neville, plus Canadian faces Jan Rubes, Frances Bay and Tantoo Cardinal)

bomb_dog

I've just realised Wordy was based off a 'ball typewriter'.

Norton Canes

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 05, 2022, 07:24:47 PMIt's more specific than that.  It has to be something you found unsettling, not just any old clip from the 70's.

Ahh, found the mofo!

And his name is Charlie

Good spot, that's the one I was thinking of too.

This clock in the Quadrant shopping centre, Dunstable reduced me to frozen terror:

famethrowa

The Skylon tower. A terrifying, impressive, fleeting, pointless symbol of post-war optimism in a grey land of rations and wreckage. Never heard of it before Ray Davies mentioned it as a possible inspiration for Waterloo Sunset.

Mister Six

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 05, 2022, 05:28:52 PMI find this image has a haunted quality and it's hard to explain why:

It's a Google Earth shot of the North end of Maidstone in 1990.

An image of the same spot of land is also available on Google Earth from c.1960, and most years from 2005 - but for some reason none of these have the same haunted quality.

Because it has the orangey tint of a 1970s photo?

H-O-W-L

That weird plastic grey-colored speckled fake marble that's on all sorts of eighties and nineties tat.

Blue Jam

Russia's McDonald's replacement is a bit hauntological innit? Mere months old, but still:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61727807

Cuellar

non capisco

The fields behind my childhood home as they now look this very day. That primitive wooden telephone line carrier/semi pylon thing that may look a bit worried/pissed off to you if you also see anthropomorphic faces in such things. One of them and a couple of box trees = hauntology. When I was a rosy cheeked young innocent I used to look out of my bedroom window at that guy and think "What's he looking so worried/angry about?". I soon learned, CaB. The wrong kind of changes, innit? I dunno when he (or she!) was built but it would have been before 1979. Before neoliberalism, Milton Friedman and the episodes of 3-2-1 when Dusty Bin was computer animated. As you can see they're still stood there though, on the 9th of July 2022, reminding you of when you once woke up and your heart leapt when you saw they were covered with snow. These days if you looked out of the same bedroom and saw that covered with snow you would throw an internal shit fit because it would signify NO TRAINS BACK TO WHERE ALL YOUR STUFF IS.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 09, 2022, 09:55:46 PMRussia's McDonald's replacement is a bit hauntological innit? Mere months old, but still:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61727807

Stop getting buns wrong

Video Game Fan 2000

looks like the logo for a credit card company owned by Robert Maxwell

petril

looks like an Access Card-but-we-couldn't-get-the-rights-to-Access

Icehaven

Quote from: non capisco on July 09, 2022, 10:21:05 PM

Was genuinely going to ask what the massive square spaceship looking thing on the left was before I realised it's a streetlight.

seepage

'ere Bert, this is the place'? No, too obvious

Pennybrix and Betta Builder? No, I remember them too well.

I'll go for walls made of semi-transparent plastic red/yellow/green blocks on council estates in the sixties, presumably to try to jolly them up a bit.

famethrowa

Quote from: Icehaven on July 10, 2022, 02:49:44 AMWas genuinely going to ask what the massive square spaceship looking thing on the left was before I realised it's a streetlight.

Yes I thought it was one of those things stormtroopers get around in

buttgammon

Blue Jam

Icehaven

superthunderstingcar

And that's just the Reporting Scotland logo turned on its side.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Icehaven on July 10, 2022, 02:49:44 AMWas genuinely going to ask what the massive square spaceship looking thing on the left was before I realised it's a streetlight.

This looks exactly like where my Nan lived, but most likely isn't.

George White

touchingcloth

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 10, 2022, 01:18:09 AM

Stop getting buns wrong

I assumed it was two fries and a boiger "patty".

I find BRGR mildly hauntological:

Brundle-Fly

This cheap restaurant chain company mascot still sends a tiny shiver down my spine. One, because the orange faced man looked like he was bulimic with a gammy hand and two; outside our local Happy Eater, some of the 'orrible kids used to hang out and you had to make sure you didn't look at one of the many 'Terrys' in the wrong way or you'd get a pasting.