Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:24:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2022 Tory leadership election

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 08, 2022, 04:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which turd will become the next PM?

Turdy Turdnak, Johnson's  former Turdscraper
3 (3.9%)
Lizturd 'Trussalon' Turdruss, Turd Secretary (a turd)
11 (14.5%)
Penny Mordaunt, the more she done the more she dern't
1 (1.3%)
"Fondling" Ron, the 'Wayne Rooney Sponsored Wankathon' Ron and his wife Non-Ron
5 (6.6%)
Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Simpson
3 (3.9%)
The putrefying corpse of Jimmy Savile, he is a paedo and a necrophile
2 (2.6%)
All of the above
1 (1.3%)
Grant Schnapps
1 (1.3%)
A praying mantis with its cock out
6 (7.9%)
A pipette of iodine squirting through the darkening veins of a potato clock
5 (6.6%)
Louis Tussaud
3 (3.9%)
Oh yes, I'm the great bell-ender / Resetting all vote counts like a clowne
14 (18.4%)
Dresden and its twin-town Other Dresden
4 (5.3%)
C UNTC UNTC UNTC UNTCUNTC UNTCUNTC UNTCUNTC UNTC
17 (22.4%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on August 10, 2022, 10:20:41 PMOn the nuclear thing, we get around 2500 hours of sunshine pa here.  Imagine what putting the cost of those reactors, including waste and decommissioning, into solar panels would do for us.  And for the planet.

I live in Yorkshire. In winter, you'd probably get to boil a couple of eggs a day :)

Buelligan

Dunno.  Was just talking to a Dubliner last night who's solared up their little home.  Not paid anything but the standard charge billwise since they had it fitted.

Now, I'm not arguing that the cost, as it currently is, of installation will save money for a fair old while.  Though that's changing, at least for Brits, rapidly.  But it shows that, even for places in your neck of the woods, they're not just a nod at green credentials any more.

Crenners

The beauty of solar is that all the extra sun from climate change will power our AC units. The hotter it gets the cooler it will be in my house and best of all, it's free.

Buelligan

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on August 11, 2022, 07:00:36 AMDunno.  Was just talking to a Dubliner last night who's solared up their little home.  Not paid anything but the standard charge billwise since they had it fitted.

Now, I'm not arguing that the cost, as it currently is, of installation will save money for a fair old while.  Though that's changing, at least for Brits, rapidly.  But it shows that, even for places in your neck of the woods, they're not just a nod at green credentials any more.

Ireland has a feed-in tariff. Britain does not.

I'd still do Solar if I could though.

Spain used to have a tax on generated solar energy, presumably to protect the profits of the private electricity companies which the previous right-wing government was fully invested in.  The current centre-left bunch got rid of that, as indeed they should, but it's still not enough.  It's ridiculous that parts of Spain as famously sunny as Mallorca or Andalucia don't have strong incentives for people to install solar panels.  I tried to get our community of neighbours to agree to it ages ago, but the upfront costs are too high.  Any forward thinking government right now would be subsidising the fuck out of that.

Replies From View

Buelligan

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 11, 2022, 08:17:31 AMIreland has a feed-in tariff. Britain does not.

Not sure how a feed-in tariff affects the decision, unless ones motivation is to sell energy.  As I understand it, there are no advantages to home solar folks from it in Ireland. Obviously, I'm no expert on this, what do you mean?

Quote from: Darles Chickens on August 11, 2022, 08:25:33 AMSpain used to have a tax on generated solar energy, presumably to protect the profits of the private electricity companies which the previous right-wing government was fully invested in.  The current centre-left bunch got rid of that, as indeed they should, but it's still not enough.  It's ridiculous that parts of Spain as famously sunny as Mallorca or Andalucia don't have strong incentives for people to install solar panels.  I tried to get our community of neighbours to agree to it ages ago, but the upfront costs are too high.  Any forward thinking government right now would be subsidising the fuck out of that.

Yes, it's utterly insane that people are not being helped, funded, paid, to set up their own systems, especially in Southern Europe.  There is no excuse other than the lobby of the fossil fuel and nuclear organisations that currently control the market.

jobotic

QuoteMark Spencer, the leader of the Commons, was doing an interview round this morning. He was asked on LBC if energy company bosses were paid too much, in the light of crisis caused by high energy bills, but he implied it was not an issue. When he was told one energy executive earned £11.5m, Spencer replied:

That seems like a very large figure to me and certainly on my salary and to my constituents that feels like a large figure. In the context of things, actually, when there's 65 million people in the country, it's 30p, 20p, a person, so I think actually there are bigger fish to fry here, which we can try and solve the challenges than to have a pop at the chief exec's salary.

I think whilst it sometimes makes great politics, it actually doesn't affect people's bills, which we need to be focused on, in the autumn.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on August 11, 2022, 07:00:36 AMDunno.  Was just talking to a Dubliner last night who's solared up their little home.  Not paid anything but the standard charge billwise since they had it fitted.

It's worth noting that it takes around 5 years to recoup the carbon emitted from creating the panels in the first place. This is probably about a quarter of the expected lifespan for a domestic user and obviously better than using sources that never recoup or always emit however this becomes a bit more of an issue in solar farms where efficiency gains of panels means the old ones get junked prematurely, in this configuration it can be seen less as "low carbon" energy and more a case of offshoring the carbon to the country of manufacture.

Buelligan

Even if panels are junked prematurely, that seems like it's a fault of the human operators.  One could very reasonably argue that human operators cause huge.  Huger.  Problems in energy generation using other methods.

As you say, even if they are prematurely junked, they're still better, carbon-wise, that other, more conventional, ways.  Additionally, the more money and focus that goes to solar, hugely neglected until recently, the more likely it is that panel technology will improve giving even greater longevity.

Plus, domestic systems, certainly in great swathes of the planet, reduce the requirement for networks, grids - which is a cost issue for conventional systems.

AND you don't have the safety, health and waste handling issues on a nuclear level to deal with.  Not to mention the security thing (see Russia in Ukraine currently).

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on August 11, 2022, 10:37:42 AMAND you don't have the safety, health and waste handling issues on a nuclear level to deal with.

I didn't bring up nuclear but it appears the waste issue is overstated: https://twitter.com/MadiHilly/status/1550148385931513856

The biggest argument against nuclear should be that it takes over a decade to build a power plant and we do not have the time.

Buelligan

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 11, 2022, 10:58:43 AMI didn't bring up nuclear but it appears the waste issue is overstated: https://twitter.com/MadiHilly/status/1550148385931513856

That's some of the baldest propaganda I've ever seen.  Hands up who wants to live next to a nuclear waste storage facility or reprocessing plant.

Sebastian Cobb

Isn't that the point about lack of public trust?

Buelligan

To build trust, you need to base it on truth.  That's the foundation.

Is it true that nuclear waste is benign and safe?  Is it true that organisations in the past, when dealing with harmful and dangerous materials, have always operated with the safety and wellbeing of the public as their optimum imperative?  Were they transparent and truthful?  I could go on...

Edit to add - and then, the question of how this is dealt with in a world where random oligarchs can missile you.  When you have states that tell you to let them build a reactor for the people and then decide it's reasonable to shell a reactor in another state.  Next door.  Is it wise to permit reactors to exist in a world like that?

I'd be somewhat mollified if the people who love and run this shit were forced to live on top of it.

Sebastian Cobb

Seems like a risk with any chemical handling company, why the disproportionate fear over nuclear when unlike other chemical forms, it gets safer as time goes on?

By comparison, who are you going to entrust with dealing with all the chemicals in spent ppv cells and the batteries required to support them at night? They take up a fair bit of space.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on August 11, 2022, 08:35:29 AMNot sure how a feed-in tariff affects the decision, unless ones motivation is to sell energy.  As I understand it, there are no advantages to home solar folks from it in Ireland. Obviously, I'm no expert on this, what do you mean?

A feed-in tariff compensâtes you for energy that you contribute to the grid, which is one of the things that reduce bills. As it is in the UK, you can contribute energy to the grid which your energy company will then resell. It makes solar less of an attractive option.

Buelligan

They don't have that in Ireland.  We were talking about it last night, because we do have it here.

I just found this on wikipedia -

QuoteREFIT III supports the medium and large scale production of Electricity from bioenergy sources such as Biomass, Biomass CHP and Anaerobic Digestion CHP. The REFIT scheme is administered by the Department of Communications Energy and Natural Resources (DCENR). The scheme was put in place following extensive lobbying by industrial representative bodies such as the Irish BioEnergy Association and the Micro Energy Generation Association.[85]

Residential and Micro scale Solar, Wind, Hydro and CHP receives no grant aid, no subsidy and no tax deductions are available. No Feed-In tariffs are available for these customers and net-metering is similarly unavailable. Co-operative and privately shared electricity between separate properties is illegal.[86] A 9c/kWh Feed-In tariff was available from Electric Ireland until December 2014, when it was withdrawn without replacement. Income from this feed-in tariff was subject to income tax at up to 58%. No other Micro-scale Feed-In tariffs are available.[87]

Homeowners with grid connected micro-generation systems are charged a €9.45 per billing cycle "low-usage surcharge" for importing less than 2kWh per day or being a net exporter of energy in a billing period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feed-in_tariff#Ireland

Buelligan

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 11, 2022, 11:17:02 AMSeems like a risk with any chemical handling company, why the disproportionate fear over nuclear when unlike other chemical forms, it gets safer as time goes on?

How much time?  What is the half-life of this shit?  Mmmm?  If they love it so much, then live on top.  They never do.  They make poor people do that who have no choice.

jobotic

Solar panels contain polysilicon, a large proportion of which is made in China by factories that get their electricity supply from coal. And quite possibly from forced labour.

Doesn't mean that they are not environmentally friendly in the long term, just that it takes longer for that to be the case. Also that more pressure has to be put on governments to change things.

Fambo Number Mive

Funny how Tories don't break the cost down to how much it actually costs each person in the country when it comes to complaining about the cost of benefits.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteNicola Sturgeon, Scotland's first minister, has revealed that, when she met Liz Truss at the Cop26 climate crisis conference in Glasgow last year, one of the main things Truss was interested in was how to get featured in the fashion magazine Vogue. And when Truss learned that Sturgeon had appeared in it twice already, Truss "looked a little bit as if she'd swallowed a wasp", Sturgeon said.

olliebean

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 11, 2022, 08:17:31 AMIreland has a feed-in tariff. Britain does not.

Britain does still have feed-in tariffs, as I learned with 10 seconds of Googling. They don't pay nearly as well as they used to, though.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 11, 2022, 04:44:15 PM
QuoteNicola Sturgeon, Scotland's first minister, has revealed that, when she met Liz Truss at the Cop26 climate crisis conference in Glasgow last year, one of the main things Truss was interested in was how to get featured in the fashion magazine Vogue. And when Truss learned that Sturgeon had appeared in it twice already, Truss "looked a little bit as if she'd swallowed a wasp", Sturgeon said

I saw this reported.  Sturgeon told Truss that it had been the magazine that approached her, rather than her actively seeking inclusion.  I reckon this could come back and bite Truss on the backside.

Solar pannels, although useful in the "engery mix" certainly arn't a panacea for the reasons already stated.  Fusion power is the great hope.  I think we should be investing much more in places like Culham, who are doing some awsome work in this area.

Sebastian Cobb

It seems like there's a push to engineer beef [between Sturgeon and Truss]. Kyle being especially odious with no real point.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarinaPurkiss/status/1557366118204973056

Purkis doing a great job here, and very much making the right points but slightly misses the goal by not countering the point that the 'once in a generation' thing has been truncated, it was 'once in a generation unless a major constitutional change', her reasoning for why is essentially 'there was one' though.

I'm certainly not an SNP zealot but it's pretty clear Sturgeon is smarter than Truss and will work any pelters directed at her to her advantage North of the border. Not sure driving that wedge is wise but reactionary thicks will love it short-term.

All Surrogate

Quote from: Buelligan on August 11, 2022, 11:02:00 AMThat's some of the baldest propaganda I've ever seen.  Hands up who wants to live next to a nuclear waste storage facility or reprocessing plant.

I've said before, I wouldn't mind. Depending on the minerals involved, living in a cave and drinking spring water might well provide a greater radiation exposure than living next to a nuclear reactor and drinking from the tap. Indeed, the prevalence of natural radon in homes was uncovered because Stanley Watras triggered radiation detectors at the nuclear power station he worked at ... even though the station hadn't received any nuclear fuel yet.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 11, 2022, 04:44:15 PMNicola Sturgeon, Scotland's first minister, has revealed that, when she met Liz Truss at the Cop26 climate crisis conference in Glasgow last year, one of the main things Truss was interested in was how to get featured in the fashion magazine Vogue. And when Truss learned that Sturgeon had appeared in it twice already, Truss "looked a little bit as if she'd swallowed a wasp", Sturgeon said.

And to think, Truss'll be in Number 10 in a few weeks. Fucking hell.

Fambo Number Mive

Cheltenham hustings starting in two minutes.

kalowski

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 11, 2022, 07:05:18 PMIt seems like there's a push to engineer beef [between Sturgeon and Truss]. Kyle being especially odious with no real point.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarinaPurkiss/status/1557366118204973056

Purkis doing a great job here, and very much making the right points but slightly misses the goal by not countering the point that the 'once in a generation' thing has been truncated, it was 'once in a generation unless a major constitutional change', her reasoning for why is essentially 'there was one' though.

I'm certainly not an SNP zealot but it's pretty clear Sturgeon is smarter than Truss and will work any pelters directed at her to her advantage North of the border. Not sure driving that wedge is wise but reactionary thicks will love it short-term.
Jesus Christ, Kyle hasn't got any more pleasant, has he? What an utter shit.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: kalowski on August 11, 2022, 07:49:19 PMJesus Christ, Kyle hasn't got any more pleasant, has he? What an utter shit.

The thing I find most striking is his shift from what he was to what he is, is now he doesn't even seem to have to even listen to the people he's hectoring*, 'I don't like her', 'she annoys me' and 'she's talking Britain down' is all just vibes... Dunno if it's partially or wholly dogwhistling 'bossy cow'.

*him gobshiting politicians with no substance is ultimately less bad than what he did before mind.