Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:01:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stray (cat videogame)

Started by Mobius, July 19, 2022, 11:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

There's a new game where you play as a cat it's pretty fun has anyone else played it

Crenners

Just got 7-day free PS+ Premium so I'll play through it and cancel the subscription. I really like cats and on that basis I'll be probably enjoying it for what it is - a game.

bgmnts

Bit gutted this is exclusive to the PlayStation but hopefully it's just timed. I want to shit in a box by pressing X.

Crenners

Quote from: Crenners on July 19, 2022, 11:30:25 AMJust got 7-day free PS+ Premium so I'll play through it and cancel the subscription. I really like cats and on that basis I'll be probably enjoying it for what it is - a game.

I can't understand or see why/where this is included in the PS+ sub but it is. Might be the store not properly updated but I only found out I could get it for free by Googling to see how much it is before I bothered turning on the PS5.

Pink Gregory

seepage

Quote from: bgmnts on July 19, 2022, 11:42:01 AMBit gutted this is exclusive to the PlayStation but hopefully it's just timed. I want to shit in a box by pressing X.

It's out for Windows later today, or did you mean other consoles?

bgmnts

Quote from: seepage on July 19, 2022, 01:26:32 PMIt's out for Windows later today, or did you mean other consoles?

Consoles.

Crenners

It's OK, very Annapurna, not a criticism but that's what it is.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

AnnaPURRna.

I'm sure it all makes sense in context, but I was a bit surprised by the sci-fi stylings of this. I'd have thought playing as a cat was a strong enough hook by itself. The internet likes cats.

Malcy

Downloading it now. Was pretty pissed off it wasn't being released on Xbox and just PS5/PC.

My brother gave me a fairly decent gaming laptop last week and said I'd be able to run it no bother so bought it first thing.

It's going to be my reward for spending the last 2 and a bit hours shouting, sweating and near crying at trying to switch out the SSD for my own, connect it to my tv etc.

I haven't looked forward to a new game since probably GTAV and I'm off for two weeks so this is a big bit of happiness for me.

Malcy

Can anyone point me in the right direction for Microsoft C + + Runtime. Won't launch without without it and it's over my head talking about central deployment and all sorts.

Zetetic

https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x86.exe , probably.
https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe , maybe.

(Xbox Game Pass really is a shitshow. Absolutely no reason for it not to handle all of this for you.)

(Edit: Or wherever you're installing it from. But also no reason why Windows doesn't handle this for you.)

Magnum Valentino

How do I actually buy it for my PS4 using my PS4?

Zetetic

Quote from: Zetetic on July 19, 2022, 06:42:37 PMhttps://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x86.exe , probably.

(Xbox Game Pass really is a shitshow. Absolutely no reason for it not to handle all of this for you.)

(Edit: Or wherever you're installing it from. But also no reason why Windows doesn't handle this for you.)

To be clear @Malcy, no harm in trying to install both of these as far as I can see.

Malcy

Quote from: Zetetic on July 19, 2022, 06:42:37 PMhttps://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x86.exe , probably.

Cheers that did the trick but now I have an even bigger problem. Wireless keyboard and mouse were working fine. Plugged in an external to make a bit of room and the cursor took on a life of its own and opened up pretty much everything on my desktop at once.

I went into device manager to try update drivers and it uninstalled USB Root Hub 3.0 so now nothing works but the cursor is still going mental. Can't disable the trackpad because I can't get the USB working at all now. Doesn't even show a USB tab on device manager.

All this to be a cat for a bit!

Mobius

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 19, 2022, 02:20:07 PMI'm sure it all makes sense in context, but I was a bit surprised by the sci-fi stylings of this. I'd have thought playing as a cat was a strong enough hook by itself. The internet likes cats.

Yeah I was enjoying just being a cat, but then you meet robot NPCs and have to collect items. I did think it was going to be a pure cat-platformer but it seems to have some RPG elements.

There's a meow button and you can scratch doors and rugs, so you can just be a cat if you want.

Pink Gregory

Junglist

I fucking love this so much

Malcy

Enjoying this. Have only managed about half an hours worth so far but it's just great to be a cat.

Think this was the last game I played where you could be one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jK9kfhOJ9uA

Looking forward to get stuck in to it in a few days.

rack and peanut

Played it for a couple of hours, don't wanna rush through it as it looks like it's gonna be short, but yeah it's a good lil catformer!

evilcommiedictator

Innit just a walking simulator?

Mobius

Well you jump as well.

It does get boring but it's fun annoying my cat by pressing the meow button

Brundle-Fly

Damn you X-Box, I wanna play Stray!

Dyl Spinks

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 19, 2022, 06:47:22 PMHow do I actually buy it for my PS4 using my PS4?

I hope it can just be purchased on PS4 through the online store, as my youngest daughter is coming next week and really wants to play it.

I think a disc version might be forthcoming later this year, from what I read earlier.

Magnum Valentino

Yeah there was an outage when I tried to buy it and then I got the free trial thing instead. Should be no bother :-)

Moj

Quote from: Dyl Spinks on July 22, 2022, 03:46:02 PMI hope it can just be purchased on PS4 through the online store, as my youngest daughter is coming next week and really wants to play it.

I think a disc version might be forthcoming later this year, from what I read earlier.

Do the free trial of the new PS Plus, it's on there.

Thursday

Played 40 minutes. It seems nice and sweet and it could get quite interesting, but also it is quite boring and I might get a refund. Don't have a PS5/PS Plus so it just doesn't feel worth a purchase to me.

Crenners

This might as well be a point and click game there's so little mechanical agency. Again, not inherently a criticism but I don't enjoy the context-sensitive jumping and traversal. It's a bit fiddly lining up the camera to prompt the X to jump up to a ledge, etc. It's inherently very stop-start. I find myself just scanning the environment waiting for a prompt to appear so I can run through to the next prompt. To me, it's about as boring as you could make a game where you play as a cat.

Again, the caveat that I probably would have enjoyed it much more five years ago or something but I struggle to enjoy slow-paced games these days and games as a whole, I now find basically boring.

Thursday

Well this is it for me, the enjoyment of being a cat and having a dedicated meow button lasted about 5 minutes. Mild entertainment from knocking things over and little bits of animation but that's it. Don't really blame them for making it this way, as I don't think most people wanted anything else, but for me personally, I struggle with games that have such minimal and passive interaction because I just start thinking about other things I could be doing.

It's like if you were watching a very slow film but had had to keep pressing a button and rotating the camera. I need something that requires a lot more focus and engagement, or I'd rather just be completely passive and watch something instead.