Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:50:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who Should Have Been Cancelled Forever But Wasn't?

Started by Dr Rock, August 09, 2022, 05:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Noel Edmunds killed a member of the public, and was soon back on our screens again.

Mr_Simnock

Even though he did get cancelled for something silly and embarrassing, nobody seemed to mind that Leslie Grantham murdered a man years before.

Mr Vegetables

Quote from: curiousoranges on August 09, 2022, 05:29:41 PMEven though he did get cancelled for something silly and embarrassing, nobody seemed to mind that Leslie Grantham murdered a man years before.

I thought that was nice in a way, though; that he did his time and rehabilitated into society with nobody really minding. That's kind of how I'd hope society would work in its way.

Anyway, I personally thought John Barrowman should have been cancelled over a decade before he actually was, but that's a more unpopular opinion than I expected it to be.

JaDanketies

I'm sure I saw Boy George on Twitter proclaiming that it was all a misunderstanding and he's not really a bad guy, in fact the other guy was to blame a little. makes me sick that that fucking unrepentant sex criminal is chumming it up with the establishment and getting endless lucrative media gigs... but what would you expect in the UK

Video Game Fan 2000

Throbbing Gristle and related bands
Silvio Berlusconi
Glyphosate
Boris Johnson
Liam Gallagher

Brundle-Fly

Savile. He's seemingly never off the telly. How he landed that recent Netflix special beggars belief.

Video Game Fan 2000

the dancing milk bottle advert outstayed it welcome

Cold Meat Platter

Jimmy Page still being a 'legend' after his kidnap noncery antics is rather disappointing. Different times though.

I've read some rather unsavoury things about Tom Jones as well.

dontpaintyourteeth

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Mark E Smith is a good shout, treated like a living walking legend by all the otherwise right-on indie press well after the metoo era, with scant mention of him physically assaulting his girlfriend so badly that it got him arrested. And his assorted other cuntery

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 09, 2022, 06:08:37 PMJimmy Page still being a 'legend' after his kidnap noncery antics is rather disappointing. Different times though.

I've read some rather unsavoury things about Tom Jones as well.

Anthony Kiedis is especially noncey too.

I recall reading a quote attributed to him in Kerrang in the 90s that he had a 14 year old girlfriend and admired her innocence, but fucked if I've been able to find it since.

I was trying to work out how old they were the other day and came across this though:

Quote"The next day we drove to Baton Rouge, and of course, she came with us," he said. "After we got offstage, she came up to me and said, 'I have something to tell you. My father's the chief of police and the entire state of Louisiana is looking for me because I've gone missing. Oh, and besides that, I'm only fourteen'".

Keidis continued: "I wasn't incredibly scared, because, in my somewhat deluded mind, I knew that if she told the chief of police she was in love with me, he wasn't going to have me taken out to a field and shot, but I did want to get her the hell back home right away. So we had sex one more time." If you've ever wondered if Kiedis has any remorse about the incident, refer to their 1985 song 'Catholic School Girls Rule' for your answer

Inspector Norse

sardines

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 09, 2022, 05:42:40 PMThrobbing Gristle and related bands

Christ it doesn't bear thinking about.
The fact that every related act was one cassette release away from the far right, the running joke that Peter "Sleazy" Christopherson probably died arse up in a bed of Thai boys.
The Quietus attempted to cancel Matthew Bower (Skullflower), Andrew King and a bunch of others a couple of years ago in what was supposed to be a reoccurring feature which I suppose for "reasons" never appeared again.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on August 09, 2022, 06:20:49 PMI recall reading a quote attributed to him in Kerrang in the 90s that he had a 14 year old girlfriend and admired her innocence, but fucked if I've been able to find it since.

i have similar thing with someone saying that whatever label they were on at the time having a rule that female employees couldn't be left alone with one member of the band but not specifying which it was

The Mollusk

Video Game Fan 2000

what about tricking Erykah Badu to appearing one of his gunge fetish videos

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Ant from Antanddec. Most celebrities would have been pilloried for driving around and crashing into things pissed like he did, but all he had to do was <sad face> and say sorry a lot, then he was inexplicably welcomed back into the nation's hearts.

shoulders

Mike Tyson. I'm all for rehabilitation but that doesn't mean doing the same thing. It means fucking off and doing something normal.

The idea people still buy Mike Tyson posters and merch is disorienting and fucking mental.

Apparently in the US he is classed as a 'Tier II Sex Offender', perhaps they should put that on his fucking posters in HMV for fucking cunts.

Video Game Fan 2000

oh god I just reread the Wayne Coyne/Erykah Badu bust up and accidentally saw the pictures of Wayne making kissy face again

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 09, 2022, 07:49:27 PMi have similar thing with someone saying that whatever label they were on at the time having a rule that female employees couldn't be left alone with one member of the band but not specifying which it was

That Lush song is about him being sleazy is it not?

The Mollusk

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 09, 2022, 07:56:38 PMwhat about tricking Erykah Badu to appearing one of his gunge fetish videos

A minor blip on an otherwise wanton and unremitting career of wall to wall unmitigated shit

Glebe

Quote from: shoulders on August 09, 2022, 07:57:31 PMMike Tyson. I'm all for rehabilitation but that doesn't mean doing the same thing. It means fucking off and doing something normal.

The idea people still buy Mike Tyson posters and merch is disorienting and fucking mental.

Apparently in the US he is classed as a 'Tier II Sex Offender', perhaps they should put that on his fucking posters in HMV for fucking cunts.

Yeah, was gonna say... he's on chat shows and the like still. Incredible.

Jollity

Remembering that picture of Mel Gibson looking shocked in the audience at the last Oscars, when Will Smith hit Chris Rock.

You're not in a position to pass judgment, sugartits.

Glebe

Quote from: Jollity on August 09, 2022, 08:39:48 PMRemembering that picture of Mel Gibson looking shocked in the audience at the last Oscars, when Will Smith hit Chris Rock.

You're not in a position to pass judgment, sugartits.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

To be fair, Mel did make up for his anti Semitic ranting by coming out with Apocalypto a short time later, which is the best film he's ever done.
Also, "sugartits" is a great thing to say to anyone, but especially a police officer.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: curiousoranges on August 09, 2022, 05:29:41 PMEven though he did get cancelled for something silly and embarrassing, nobody seemed to mind that Leslie Grantham murdered a man years before.

Don King literally kicked a guy to death in the street over a gambling debt. Did a couple of years and if anything it probably boosted his career as boxing promoter and all round piece of shit.

Snoop Doggy Dog was in trouble for murder and named an album after it or something. Again, no hinderance to his career. The rap industry actually prefers if you're a drug dealer and murderer. If you've done some prison time even better. You'll come across as more authentic.

Mister Six

I do feel a bit sorry for Gibson because he had a horrific childhood and was a fucking mess, and I think he should be able to clean himself up and redeem himself (and Jodie Foster and others have vouched for him as a safe figure on set). But I'll admit that I'm inspired in part by the fact that I admire him as a director and want to see what else he can make.