Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:37:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who Should Have Been Cancelled Forever But Wasn't?

Started by Dr Rock, August 09, 2022, 05:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: somersetchris on August 10, 2022, 09:50:12 PMThat's a stretch.
I mean, at this point, there's obviously no proving there was any unsavoury undertone subtext: it is a pretty perfect pop song, and maybe there was nothing more to it than that. But, in light of his self-confessed behaviour, I think alternative, or at least multi-layered, readings are also possible.

New page, new name for the stage.

Glebe

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 10, 2022, 01:39:46 PMSean Bean. Serial wifebeater. Once got banged up for chinning wife #3 and asked wife #2 to pick him up on the promise that he'd get back with her. He then called a mate of mine (very credible source) who was working with him on set to pick him up and then give him his car so he can slip away, leaving my mate with crying wife #2.

Fuck. And he always seems like a great bunch of lads.

Joe Oakes

Only just found out that David O Russell sexually assaulted his niece. Yet the Oscars and BAFTA still nominate him as best director every time he puts out a film.

Also John Landis shouldn't have had a career after The Twilight Zone deaths. We'd have lost out on Three Amigos and Coming To America, but overall it would be a net gain by also losing Blues Brothers 2000.

Glebe

Quote from: Thomas on August 10, 2022, 10:50:45 AMAlan Partridge was lucky he was allowed back into the BBC cafeteria, never mind being given a Christmas special and almost getting a second series.

chip

Quote from: somersetchris on August 10, 2022, 09:49:32 PMHave not listened to Tool since some very unsavoury stuff I read about Maynard James Keenan a few years ago. His tactic of having security pull teenage girls out of the audience for him to 'meet' afterwards seems accepted, accounts vary on whether the sex that happened afterwards were consensual or not.

Nahhh that one fell apart fairly quickly, you don't need to worry. You should listen to Tool again the music's great

Blofelds Cat

Clapton for his overt racism

Bowie is deified but worse than Glitter for noncery...

the science eel

king_tubby

He's not worse than Glitter (not that it's a competition) but he's still a nonce, as is BBC Radio 6's Iggy Pop.

Jockice

Quote from: Darles Chickens on August 10, 2022, 01:08:18 PMPopbitch's take on it:

https://popbitch.com/raking-over-old-coles-2/

Fun read, although quite, quite barmy.

This post of mine on the other cancellation thread was about an allegedly gay footballer, who apparently had a 'refuelling' problem. But only one of these things was considered okay to talk about.

Yeah, it's sometimes hard to tell what's acceptable. In my 20s - circa 1991 - I was at a do at which there was a group of people from a magazine that covered a certain cultural activity. They were all having a good laugh at a celebrity in that field's alleged substance abuse. I was only very vaguely aware of this but had heard a rumour about their sexual preferences. So I mentioned it. Nothing illegal just unexpected. But it was followed by total silence from everyone. Tumbleweed. I'd obviously said something terribly wrong. My very own David Brent moment. The conversation moved on but I said very little for the rest of the evening. Too embarrassed

I've never met most of these people since and I'm still not sure exactly why my comment was so unacceptable. I mean I as a total outsider (it wasn't a music magazine) had heard these rumours so those in the business must have been aware of them. I didn't even say it in a sneery way, more questioning. I certainly wouldn't say anything like that nowadays, but then I wouldn't have laughed at anyone else's alleged addictions whether then or now. But that was considered completely fine. Which is quite ironic because most of these people were totally off their heads by the end of the night.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Kankurette on August 10, 2022, 08:03:10 PMIsn't Berenyi a TERF? Which is a real shame as I like both Lush and Piroshka.

she's not actually said anything as far as i know. hopefully it's just a coincidence... or that she's following all the major transphobes for 'research'... right?

i literally wanted to be berenyi so much when i was a young teenager so it's a terrible thought

king_tubby

This cropped up on another forum I'm on and I'm afraid she is following all the major suspects.

Bindel, Moore, Ditum, Freeman, Cohen, Turner, Bailey, Lewis, Joyce, d'Ancona, Singal, Jones, Smith, Denby...

Kankurette

Oh FFS. Still, I've already been disappointed by Phil Hartley out of Space being a fan of Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson, so I can live with Berenyi having shitty views (because following that many transphobes is damning), I just won't follow her.

It's a shame Joolz Denby is a TERF as well, I read about her in the Big Issue and she seemed cool...and then I saw what she posted on Twitter.

ETA: Jockice, it wasn't a Wednesday player by any chance? A couple of the '90s squad did have drink problems and the squad in general were pissheads. Carlton Palmer springs to mind, and even now apparently all people ask him about half the time is drinking and he's always posting pictures of himself drinking.

idunnosomename

Jimmy Page quitely pulled all touring plans after 2015. He knows he'd get cancelled.

Unlike Bowie it's absolutely indisputable he broke the age of consent, and furthermore actively pursued girls he knew were under it

Kankurette

Didn't he make a point of seeking girls at some local asylum?

C_Larence

Quote from: Joe Oakes on August 11, 2022, 12:04:46 AMAlso John Landis shouldn't have had a career after The Twilight Zone deaths. We'd have lost out on Three Amigos and Coming To America, but overall it would be a net gain by also losing Blues Brothers 2000.

Orson Welles's diatribe against Landis from his conversations with Henry Jaglom is great.

Max Landis has been pretty effectively cancelled after allegations of abusive behaviour. Bet he wishes he'd only killed a man and two children with a helicopter.

dontpaintyourteeth

Miki Berenyi also follows Katy Montgomerie so I'm choosing to believe she might still be alright even though she has obviously probably isn't

chutnut

I listened to a podcast with Max Landis on a couple of years ago and he was intolerable

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: chip on August 11, 2022, 07:36:29 AMNahhh that one fell apart fairly quickly, you don't need to worry. You should listen to Tool again the music's great
Did it? Everything that was revealed about him at the time didn't make me disbelieve the allegations, put it that way. Then there was his pathetic teenage edgelord thing about his wine.

oggyraiding

To add to the Max Landis hate, he was on a Red Letter Media video, and he was awful. I think all the other people in the video obviously hated him, but were resigned to the fact he was there and they couldn't just turf him out before they finished the video. In a way I'm glad he's abusive, it means I will never have to engage with his output again.

Jockice

Quote from: Kankurette on August 11, 2022, 11:54:51 AMETA: Jockice, it wasn't a Wednesday player by any chance? A couple of the '90s squad did have drink problems and the squad in general were pissheads. Carlton Palmer springs to mind, and even now apparently all people ask him about half the time is drinking and he's always posting pictures of himself drinking.

No, it wasn't, although living in Sheffield I have heard quite a bit of stuff about that squad. David Hirst used to be called 'Norm' (as in the Cheers character) because he was in Champs sports bar so much.

This was...er...an established international player for a British team. To go any further would probably reveal his identity. But he was very well-known for a while.

PS, not Gascoigne.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Kankurette on August 11, 2022, 11:54:51 AMIt's a shame Joolz Denby is a TERF as well, I read about her in the Big Issue and she seemed cool...and then I saw what she posted on Twitter.
Yes, agreed. She was only a friend-of-a-friend away from the Bradford circles I moved in, although I never actually met her, and I've enjoyed the novels by her that I've read: she captured the atmosphere of the city extremely well. Basically, as you say, she seemed cool. And now this...

Shit, I'm just realising that for a long time she was collaborator with and partner to Justin Sullivan. I really hope I'm not going to have to cancel New Model Army...

Kankurette

Quote from: Jockice on August 11, 2022, 01:01:15 PMNo, it wasn't, although living in Sheffield I have heard quite a bit of stuff about that squad. David Hirst used to be called 'Norm' (as in the Cheers character) because he was in Champs sports bar so much.

This was...er...an established international player for a British team. To go any further would probably reveal his identity. But he was very well-known for a while.

PS, not Gascoigne.
Yes, that sounds like Hirst. He and Sheridan were notorious. They went Josephine's a lot as well. I think Sheridan co-owned a pub in Manchester.

I'm not sure how true this is but Hirst allegedly showed up to a match with black eyes. He'd allegedly been hitting on Kevin Pressman's wife and Pressman punched him in the face. Sheridan was a bit slutty as well.

Apologies for derail, I just find that whole period/squad fascinating.

somersetchris

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 11, 2022, 12:43:05 PMDid it? Everything that was revealed about him at the time didn't make me disbelieve the allegations, put it that way. Then there was his pathetic teenage edgelord thing about his wine.

Yeah me too. Even his defenders were saying 'yeah, this happens but it was consensual', like that makes it okay. It did show that Tool have as fans a lot of obsessive weirdos who will just defend them regardless, which is another thing that makes me like the band less. Nobody who is online a lot has anything good to say about Tool fans.

I'd be fairly confident that the Venn diagram of Tool fans and Jordan Peterson fans would show a very substantial overlap.

somersetchris

Quote from: C_Larence on August 11, 2022, 12:08:52 PMMax Landis has been pretty effectively cancelled after allegations of abusive behaviour. Bet he wishes he'd only killed a man and two children with a helicopter.

Also writing a load of shitty scripts, Chronicle is the only decent film he's written, the rest have been indescribably awful. 

somersetchris

Quote from: Kankurette on August 11, 2022, 11:54:51 AMOh FFS. Still, I've already been disappointed by Phil Hartley out of Space being a fan of Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson, so I can live with Berenyi having shitty views (because following that many transphobes is damning), I just won't follow her.

It's nuts that the guitarist from Deftones is a conspiracy theorist and flat earther, who now refuses to fly so when they played over here recently he didn't travel with them. Apparently the others still get on with him musically (they were at high school together) and just don't talk about the stuff that he constantly posts on social media when they're recording.

Ditto about Joolz, unfortunately when you're talking about people in certain generations you have to assume they're terfs and hope they prove otherwise, to avoid being constantly disappointed.

boki

Quote from: somersetchris on August 11, 2022, 04:37:08 PMIt's nuts that the guitarist from Deftones is a conspiracy theorist and flat earther, who now refuses to fly so when they played over here recently he didn't travel with them. Apparently the others still get on with him musically (they were at high school together) and just don't talk about the stuff that he constantly posts on social media when they're recording.
Didn't he get the hump back when Chino first started contributing guitar parts?  That would mean that they have over twenty years of tiptoeing around him by this point.

chip

Quote from: somersetchris on August 11, 2022, 04:29:31 PMYeah me too. Even his defenders were saying 'yeah, this happens but it was consensual', like that makes it okay. It did show that Tool have as fans a lot of obsessive weirdos who will just defend them regardless, which is another thing that makes me like the band less. Nobody who is online a lot has anything good to say about Tool fans.

I'd be fairly confident that the Venn diagram of Tool fans and Jordan Peterson fans would show a very substantial overlap.

I recall MJK definitively came out and denied it, and then the whole claim fell apart and hasn't been heard of since. Seems pretty conclusive. I mean one wouldn't just go around stating something like that like it's fact, given that set of circumstances.

Speaking of weird obsessions with media personalities though, what's any of this got to do with Jordan Peterson?

idunnosomename

Quote from: oggyraiding on August 11, 2022, 12:54:11 PMTo add to the Max Landis hate, he was on a Red Letter Media video, and he was awful. I think all the other people in the video obviously hated him, but were resigned to the fact he was there and they couldn't just turf him out before they finished the video. In a way I'm glad he's abusive, it means I will never have to engage with his output again.
i mean they could just not put out the video if they really hated him at the time. But yeah he wasnt good.

They have privated it now but there are re-ups

Kankurette

Quote from: somersetchris on August 11, 2022, 04:29:31 PMYeah me too. Even his defenders were saying 'yeah, this happens but it was consensual', like that makes it okay. It did show that Tool have as fans a lot of obsessive weirdos who will just defend them regardless, which is another thing that makes me like the band less. Nobody who is online a lot has anything good to say about Tool fans.

I agree with this and I AM a Tool fan.